PDA

View Full Version : New Server

Huggz
08-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, has there been any talk of a wipe or a new server going up with a fresh start? I only say this as a new joiner that missed the great era of the Vanilla Achievements and items and what not.

Having fun rocking my monk regardless. It does seem like the economy is already flooded, everything from the deleted item set is already horded away, and no one that wasn't around last year will get to enjoy any of the areas now overlooked.

Like I said, just wondering. Don't flame me for asking please.

Huggz
08-14-2012, 01:19 AM
P.s. still epic :)

Bruster
08-14-2012, 01:22 AM
would be awesome, even take out red and replace it with another blue.

Kevynne
08-14-2012, 01:24 AM
over jsut make a new p99 like p99 green and itll just be clasic eq?

Huggz
08-14-2012, 02:35 AM
Great idea! ^^^^

A chance to re-experience these things all again is something I know a LOT of players would love! I caught the bus late for sure!

Kevynne
08-14-2012, 03:02 AM
I for sure wouldnt mind it i joined p99 right before they took out manastone

Akim
08-14-2012, 03:16 AM
P99 DISCHORD SERVER

One death and you're GONE

This was so much fun.. Oh the joys.

This is great for casual pvpers !

subatis
08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
from the "about" page:

"The server will stop at Velious, at which point many options will be considered, including possible custom content that will maintain the spirit of the game, and/or an additional new server starting over at Pre-Kunark."

No new server for awhile. Velious isn't out yet though, and there seems to be plenty of people running around a good number of old zones.

Arclanz
08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Powerleveling and camping items for twinks has been the mainstay of P99 since 2010. We need a new server.

SomberSunday
08-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Best way to get a new server is to donate.

falkun
08-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Powerleveling and camping items for twinks has been the mainstay of Everquest since 1999.

FTFY. Sony couldn't release content fast enough, and now, 13 years later when a lot of it is posted on internet, people go through it even faster. If you don't like the economy, ignore it and farm your items like you'd be forced to do on a new server. Live servers routinely held 3000+ people concurrently, P99 does not need a new server for its 500 concurrent users.

If you are sad you missed out on manastones, lockets of escape, Guises, and the like, then there are other servers that will allow you to obtain that (IE: the sleeper). P99 is the largest EMU server because of its classicness, don't complain about it being classic with one side of your mouth while praising how classic it is with the other side. Enjoy your chance to see it again.

Arclanz
08-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Incorrect.

falkun
08-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Incorrect.

Elaborate. (Am I doin' it right?)

Mordak
08-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Wipe servers and make a new one. Bring moar people and maybe TMO will go to EQmac =PP

falkun
08-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Wipe servers and make a new one. Bring moar people and maybe TMO will go to EQmac =PP

Why would they go to a server where they'll be illegally accessing it and which has a rotation system when they can simply reroll with the rest of us and just level to 50/60 faster? If they have to restart anyways, why start anywhere else? Wiping the server will only discourage casuals, the hardcores will be hardcore no matter what.

Maze513
08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Falk for president!

Houdiny
08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
I am one that also missed out on Pre-Kunark P99. I would like to go through it again from the beginning. If they made a new server and started it all over I would probably partake. I am having a lot of fun in the current server though. I am not ready for such a thing at this point. I am trying to get leveled up and caught up with the rest before I get too worried about something I just got done going through.

Arclanz
08-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Falk, you know as well as I that twinking was uncommon and powerleveling was rare back in the day. During my short stint on on P99 I saw more characters being powerleveled than I had seen during my entire time on EQ live.

I do agree that wiping the server is a bad idea; I want those pixel hogs to stay on that server; so the rest of us can play on the new server.

djstaid
08-14-2012, 02:36 PM
I missed the pre-Kunark train on Live as well as here on P99. It would be cool to have the pre-Kunark experience, but as it stands now is much like it was when I started back in 2000 (i think). Gives me the experience of almost what it was like back the first time around. haha

tops419
08-14-2012, 02:48 PM
This server is just a twink fest.

If the dev's started a paypal fund to start a new sever and said once we reach X amount of donation money we'll open a new server, I'd donate to that.

Right now, you just feel like the money from donations will only help the HARDCORE end-game crazies get more content to lockdown that normal folks may never see.
Most people haven't experienced Kunark yet.

The forums are the most exciting part of P1999 right now.

Ravager
08-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Personally, I'd like to see the old server finished (content and mechanics-wise) before a new server.

Arclanz
08-14-2012, 03:02 PM
This server is just a twink fest.

If the dev's started a paypal fund to start a new sever and said once we reach X amount of donation money we'll open a new server, I'd donate to that.

Right now, you just feel like the money from donations will only help the HARDCORE end-game crazies get more content to lockdown that normal folks may never see.
Most people haven't experienced Kunark yet.

The forums are the most exciting part of P1999 right now.

I would totally donate to a New Server fund; no interest in donating or playing on existing blue.

Hey Ravager, no one would stop you from completing content on that server. A new server would moreso attract new players than leach existing players off blue. If there IS a max exodus from the current blue server, that in itself is telling.

falkun
08-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Falk, you know as well as I that twinking was uncommon and powerleveling was rare back in the day.
False. Twinking was highly common and I leveled my main, Falkun, during Kunark & Velious with many twinked rerolls/alts. However, there was also a larger EQ population, so you had a lot of new characters as well. You probably have a similar proportion of old/new players here on P99, but since the concurrent server population is 500 instead of 3000, its more noticeable.
I do agree that wiping the server is a bad idea; I want those pixel hogs to stay on that server; so the rest of us can play on the new server.
TMO doesn't play to win pixels, they play to be the best at the server. If this was their own private box, they'd get bored and leave quickly. But because they have other persons to keep down, it remains fun for them. Examples:
End scene. Gwence basically said if velious came out before TMO started competeing then IB would have have been #1done in velious. You guys are only #1 if there is no #2,3,4 etc.
1) Sorry, didn't see you on the battlefield.
2) They were always there. I seriously doubt any more training is happening than before when I played against IB. If it did, you'd not even be able to log on without dying to one.
3)Server rotation does not equal competition. Me and a few others have already expressed ways to make the raiding better without a rotation. They've all been ignored or forgotten and pushed aside. Also, what makes you think I want the "easy way out" with no "competition"? I have fought more for my place on the server than 99% of p99 thank you very much.

Pretty sure Rogean stated publicly on the boards that a server rotation would never be put in.

ps - you're welcome for the Ragefire agreement. Where most of you bitched and complained, a select few put forth the effort to get it started and made sacrifices you'll never know.

A new server is not the answer. A wipe is not the answer. More concurrent content (so you can't lockdown boss_A and then move to boss_B) is the answer. General server consensus is the answer. More concrete rules & mechanics that do not require CSR intervention are the answer.

Ravager
08-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I just meant it's probably be in the dev's best interest to finish one project before starting another. With another server to take care of, their limited resources would be spread even thinner and there would be two blue servers that are only half as good as they could be.

tops419
08-14-2012, 04:14 PM
nope. None of what you said will ever happen. Just let the crazies have a server and make another server.
It was the same way on live.
Some servers were nuts, some were more tame.
with only 1 viable server, all the nuts are on one box.
Velious doesn't solve anything unless you're part of the aforementioned crazies.

And for the "go start your own server then" folks: if someone else could get ahold of a way to do so as well as these guys have, I'd personally make a pledge of $30 bucks or so a month to keep it going.

Also,
I think that if bosses spawned simultaneously, TMO ( or someone else) would just put in more time to lock them down, split their raid forces, add more to their ranks, etc.
They compete to be #1 because that's what matters to them. some of us don't see EQ as a competition and don't like to play it that way. nothing wrong with either way of playing, it's just those two types of players can't coexist, happily, for very long.

Call it the pink panties server or whatever, but it's what many in the community are wanting.

tops419
08-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I just meant it's probably be in the dev's best interest to finish one project before starting another. With another server to take care of, their limited resources would be spread even thinner and there would be two blue servers that are only half as good as they could be.

Except, the resources poured into the server have alot more to do with coding/debugging/ etc. than it does with policing.
To start a new server from scratch would be difficult, but to copy an existing server wouldn't be much work at all.

As far as policing on a carebear server, there's a lot of viable candidates that play/have played p1999 and been a great part of the community that could serve as guides (even if only as observe/report).

Just start a donation fund with a clear monetary goal to support a new server and watch it fill up fast enough to have it released in a week.

Messianic
08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
you know as well as I that twinking was uncommon and powerleveling was rare back in the day.

Lol. Really? REALLY? You're gonna just come out and claim this? It's more common on P99, but I think this is a dramatically wrong statement.

Everyone and their mom had a monk or other melee twink in 2000. Everyone. Everyone. EVERYONE. Half of my guild had twink monks (even a number of fungi level twinks), and my guild was pretty casual.

The reality is that most of the playerbase on p99 are the top 30% of engaged players back in the day. This means we know the tricks and the shortcuts a lot better than the more casual players did, and hindsight makes us incredibly more knowledgable now than we were back then, so it compounds itself.

But let's not come with nonsense about powerleveling and twinking being uncommon. Lol.

I actually two-boxed occasionally between two desktop PCs in the Velious era (different rooms and I wasn't allowed to move the PCs, which made it really difficult, but possible) - had a shaman buffing my monk while I destroyed crap in Velk's.

And again, on live, I never did any of the major velious raids (we did Kael but never Vindi), Plane of Sky, CT, Innothule...Any of that. I wasn't among the elite playerbase. But even I saw the twinking and two-boxing (although technology made that harder) and powerleveling all the time.

tops419
08-14-2012, 04:50 PM
It's not that twinking wasn't common on live in 2000ish, its just that twinking to this degree wasn't.

on live, pre 2002ish>? maybe later
I had never seen a twink with a COF/Fungi/Tstaff. It was unheard of. on p1999 it's pretty much the only way to qualify as a twink.
For every class minus casters (which can't REALLY be twinked before velious) the degree of twinking is insane.
Epics are commonplace (minus a few) on twinks
There are almost no "oh shit" items left except for ones that were nerfed out quickly.

Arclanz
08-14-2012, 04:53 PM
I suppose a time frame would help; as well as defining "twink."

A hand-me-down or two isn't what I meant. Farming plats or camping numerous spawns with high level characters to gear up a low level alt; that's a twink.

The common player did not really twink (hence, "uncommon") in classic. It started to occur near the end of classic; and picked up during Kunark. By Velious, heavy twinking was in full force. But as tops says, above, the really stupid twinking was quite rare.

Raavak
08-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Messianc is right. I started the 2nd month of classic EQ and was often grouping with people who were going "the second time around", meaning to 50. And with awesome gear (for the day). Like a lvl 35 or so dorf paladin with a Skarlon sword (main was a famous E`ci cleric).

But I will agree there are some ubertwinks here that weren't seen on Live (like whoever bought Durison's Cobalt BP at that time).

Messianic
08-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Farming plats or camping numerous spawns with high level characters to gear up a low level alt; that's a twink.

Yeah, exactly. This happened all the time. I cede that it was less often from 2000-2001 than it is on p99. But it wasn't uncommon in the least.

The common player did not really twink (hence, "uncommon")

The common player in 2000/2001 is not the common player on p99. That's also something I mentioned.

It started to occur near the end of classic; and picked up during Kunark. By Velious, heavy twinking was in full force.

Sure, granted - and this is because Kunark and Velious were barely a year apart - new content exploded, relatively, compared to what has happened on p99. That's a valid point - we hit the relative content ceiling pretty quickly and forcefully on p99.

But it still doesn't justify a server wipe or splitting an already small population between two servers. Period.

Huggz
08-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Hey, so I would like to try and get this thread back on track.

What I was saying in my original post is that I would LOVE to experience the standard Vanilla server reset from a blank slate. The only EQ I ever played was Vanilla, and I played from nearly day 1 until the release of Kunark.

So I guess what I am putting up are the following two questions:

1) If we started a fund of donations to get a new server rolling, how much do we need to raise?

2) Are any of the staff really even interested in this idea? It takes work.

I think a lot of people would jump at the chance to begin anew. But I may be wrong.

SamwiseBanned
08-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Come to red, super xp bonus in effect. Kunark is coming out this week. Come experience eq pvp.

http://i.imgur.com/K53E7.jpg

what started out as ganks here and there went onto small skirmishes and now a war is a brewing. Join the fight bros.

Daliant17447
08-14-2012, 09:30 PM
I think a lot of people would jump at the chance to begin anew. But I may be wrong.

You're definitely right, but its just not going to happen with P99. Try to enjoy the server as it is and hold out for that other classic EQ project that has been in the works since 2009.

Arclanz
08-15-2012, 12:39 PM
...But it still doesn't justify a server wipe or splitting an already small population between two servers. Period.

I didn't say anything about a wipe or splitting the population. Start a new server fund; then a bunch of us will donate and come back if it launches. If some other players on blue leave to join the new server; that's not really my problem. Sounds like you want to force everyone to play on your server. Why?

azeth
08-15-2012, 12:46 PM
1) If we started a fund of donations to get a new server rolling, how much do we need to raise?

This is actually an unanswerable question since identifying the amount would equate to marketing Sony's intellectual property.

Houdiny
08-15-2012, 12:52 PM
I didn't say anything about a wipe or splitting the population. Start a new server fund; then a bunch of us will donate and come back if it launches. If some other players on blue leave to join the new server; that's not really my problem. Sounds like you want to force everyone to play on your server. Why?

Ya It can split the population. But then again, if it's what people want why not? I would at least think an inquiry post with a poll would be necessary. See how many people are interested in doing that opposed to the ones who aren't.

Messianic
08-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Sounds like you want to force everyone to play on your server.
Why?

Please tell me where I was applying force.

Pan
08-16-2012, 06:41 AM
The real answer is enforcing the "don't be a dick" rule on this server. Wiping the dickery niche from the ecosystem would account for almost all the problems we experience here.

Lagaidh
08-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Wiping the server will only discourage casuals, the hardcores will be hardcore no matter what.

This is a point I bring up often that seems like it's news to a lot of people.

I am a time starved power gamer. I'd like to have the time to be in a high end raid guild like I was in live. The reality is that I am not going to get to. I don't have the time to contribute to such a guild. I slowly farm and trade to get decent gear. It's something I can do in little bits and pieces over time.

If the server were wiped, then I'm the kind of player that would probably move along and play something else. It wouldn't be worth it to me to get back to where I am now. It's already taken me two years =)

I understand every argument that's for a wipe, but I've never agreed. These threads have been popping up since I was L1 and I've never agreed with a server wipe. The only time I was tempted to agree was right after the hundreds of suspensions due to the showeq two boxing crap. It seemed like the server had been compromised. Even so, in hindsight... it's always going to be that way on any server in any game.

I guess, selfishly, I'd hate to have to find something else to play. There's no other MMO that I've played that hasn't moved into their own "Luclin and beyond" era.

Words and typed sentiments.

Lagaidh
08-16-2012, 07:45 AM
It's not that twinking wasn't common on live in 2000ish, its just that twinking to this degree wasn't.

on live, pre 2002ish>? maybe later
I had never seen a twink with a COF/Fungi/Tstaff. It was unheard of. on p1999 it's pretty much the only way to qualify as a twink.
For every class minus casters (which can't REALLY be twinked before velious) the degree of twinking is insane.
Epics are commonplace (minus a few) on twinks
There are almost no "oh shit" items left except for ones that were nerfed out quickly.

Maybe you didn't see it, but I can remember all sorts of early live twinking. Hell, I can remember inspecting a L9 druid with a CoF and other dragon loot before Kunark... I was playing my freshly minted newb in July of 1999.

So with the game out for a full 4 months... people were twinking alts with abandon. Hell, after I saved up and had full bronze by L10, I was accused of being a twink.

You must have played with your eyes shut really tight back in the day =)

Arclanz
08-21-2012, 04:10 PM
...The only time I was tempted to agree was right after the hundreds of suspensions due to the showeq two boxing crap. It seemed like the server had been compromised.

My friend, the server has most definitely been very compromised. Damage is done. I don't think anyone is asking for a server wipe; they want a new, uncompromised, server. However, I was pondering the merits of a one time deletion of all coins on blue. It would not be painless, but it would go a long way towards counteracting the damage done by hacks/exploits in the past. UPDATE Characters SET P=0, G=0, S=0, C=0. There ya go. :P

...I can remember inspecting a L9 druid with a CoF and other dragon loot before Kunark... I was playing my freshly minted newb in July of 1999...

You must've started on a server that was old as hell and even still, I wouldnt count one case in 5,000 as "people twinking with abandon." I started on the newly launched Brell server in July 1999 and I can assure you, there were no twinks until much later. As a Paladin in my mid 40s, I began to see minor twinking (some low levels in banded or steel armor) on some of the oldest players; most of which I knew.

Huggz
08-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Lagaidh, I played on Rathe too.

Tourmaline, 50 monk. Hit 50 right behind Emil Drak and Tao. I agree with the other poster above. There was only a tiny tiny population of the server that was hordcore enough to really twink back in the day. Couple of Keggers, couple of BotS guys...but seriously not that many people twinked that early...

A wiped server is just amazingly fun. Excited for EQclassic, if it drops before we all get old and grey.

webrunner5
08-23-2012, 03:35 AM
A server wipe is a total waste of time. TMO would start all over and within 3 weeks half of them would be level 60 and 1/3 of them would be twinks again.

There are people on here that between them and their brother, friend, play a toon 24/7. They know every trick in the game and just want to be top dog come hell or high water.

You get 4 or 5 people grouped that know what the hell they are doing, in the right zones and the levels and gear just come very fast.