PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia explosion

Spreed
08-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Nostalgia explosion. That's what happened in my brain tonight. I don't think I've played EQ in 9 years. This is incredible. I've never been so overwhelmed by nostalgia, but, wow, this is tougher than I remember! I'm only level 3 and my exp bar feels like it doesn't even move already. It's brutal.

Does anyone have any tips? I've forgotten what to do. How things work. How to progress. Which noobie area is easiest to level up in? Do I buy weapons/armor form vendors?

Kaenil
08-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Welcome.

I totally understand what you're feeling right now, it's awesome. My memory was fuzzy at first too, but soon enough I fell into old habits I thought were long forgotten.

As for advice, you should tell us what character you're playing. I personally think the Field of Bone is the best newbie zone, but that doesn't help you much if you're not an Iksar.

I recommend you make use of the wiki (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Main_Page), it's very helpful.

Spreed
08-15-2012, 01:25 AM
I'm a bard, currently in EC. The killing is painfully slow at the moment.

webrunner5
08-15-2012, 05:57 AM
EC is probably the best area for a noob. # 1 thing you need is a better weapon. You can kill Bears for HQ Hide, sell for 20 plat, in EC and Nek. Farm Bone Chips, for like 4 plat a stack.

Try and get buffs for people in tunnel. Helps a ton. You HAVE to get a better weapon to kill fast. Welcome aboard.

Kevynne
08-15-2012, 06:22 AM
EC is probably the best area for a noob. # 1 thing you need is a better weapon. You can kill Bears for HQ Hide, sell for 20 plat, in EC and Nek. Farm Bone Chips, for like 4 plat a stack.

Try and get buffs for people in tunnel. Helps a ton. You HAVE to get a better weapon to kill fast. Welcome aboard.

^^^yup.as a bard id prolyl hang in the zone line to wfrp and just CoD the entire area till about lvl 5 imo. only played a bard to 21 on live way back when to member much
on my wizzie i stayed in this area and jsut hard core train ae kited and got to lvl 5 easy. but that was for a wizard :p but i think it should work for a bard too!

Kevynne
08-15-2012, 06:23 AM
id also announce lfg every now and then, some orc groups can be real low. my clr was ina group once at lvl2 there :p

falkun
08-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Bards are awesome. You'll soon be outleveling everyone, even the necros, druids, and enchanters will be eating your exp dust. See my bard AoE leveling locations guide here (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=248109&postcount=8). It also contains links to a few guides on HOW to AoE kite as a bard.

You can start AoEing at L2 (with chords), but most wait til at least L5 (selos) and L18 for the larger range on the DoT. However, grouping can also be REALLY fun, and bards are pretty awesome at grouping at all levels. Bard advantages to groups start at 6 (lowest level for hp regen in the game), 15 when we get AE mez, 20/23 when we get AE/single target slows, 28 when we get single target mez, and 32 when we get mana song V1.0 (major milestones through L50).

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a tell or PM. As for gearing: if you are going AE kiting, get a vendor horn, drum, and lute and just start doing it. Upgrade to mistmoore drums and gypsy lute (~100p each), and that'll take you to planar level. If grouping mostly, work on some banded, then lambent, and get weapons. Since bard weapons are real niche weapons, they can usually be bought pretty cheap. BIS for DPS (pre-epic) are breath of harmony and guardians mace, 5-6k and 2-4k respectively. Sionachie's Partisan is a 9/19 for ~400p, which is awesome considering lamentations still sell for >2k.

Enjoy playing one of the best designed classes in any game ever! (personal opinion)

Vicatin
08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Welcome aboard.

Quite a few returning players lately, including myself. Took a bit to get in the swing of things but it will eventually click.

Shoot me a tell if you need assistance. Have a pair of bladed thulian claws i was given that i can pass on to you (if bards can use?)

Tecmos Deception
08-15-2012, 09:18 AM
You HAVE to get a better weapon to kill fast. Welcome aboard.

Did you miss the whole "I'm a bard" thing?

Haha, he doesn't NEED a weapon ever. He'll level far more quickly if he buys a drum and a lute and a horn off a merchant and then AE kites totally naked than he would if he were twinked with 200k and trying to melee to level.

lawll
08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=project+1999+leveling+guide#
Here try this