PDA

View Full Version : Post tips and such

Swashbuckler
05-25-2010, 03:17 AM
- Before you become filthy rich, a good way to reduce some of your weight is to replace your backpacks with large sewing kits. They're about double the cost of a backpack but weigh significantly less. Backpacks are like 3-4 stone whereas a large sewing kit is 0.4. That reduction in weight will be handy when you start equipping your character with a bunch of bronze and start hurting when you're constantly at or near your weight limit and are tempted by lots of booty to loot.

- Chitin Shell Armor breastplate is a good alternate to a large bronze bp for barbs, ogres and trolls. Has the same AC but weighs significantly less 6.5 versus 15.something. Doesn't have the cool look of plate (looks like chain) but you'll be grateful for the weight reduction. Not COMPLETELY sure on the price of those though :(.

- I really like the Feerrott as a starting zone and think a lot of people underestimate it, especially as a player with no high lvl main to twink you. The lvl 1 lizard broodlings running around almost consistently drop 5-8 silver each time along with rusty weps and cloth. Money adds up rather fast if you have some patience and grind it out. There's merchants near by to quickly sell and get back to killing.

I like to grind 1-4 on the broodlings and occasional spiderling/scarab in the area and then do 4-6 in the NE corner of the map (pull it up with backspace). There's some ruins there and tons of spiders ranging from roughly level 1-4 or so. I managed to get nearly a full backpack of spiderling silks from that. Be careful though as the spiders DO aggro when you are fighting one so watch your back or pull to a corner if need be.

From then on you can venture into Innothule or elsewhere if you prefer. That stint of 1-6 in Feerrott will give you a nice boost in income early on and let you start buying bronze/banded and a decent lowbie weapon of some sort.

Also since there's usually people killing guards in Oggok you can go inside and ask nicely if someone can spare a Fine Steel weapon for you to get your character started. Or grind a bit and ask to buy one off someone before they vendor one.

Don't let the reduced vision in there fool you, the "east" side of Feerrott (looking at it map wise with backspace) is quite harmless to you and all you have to watch for are broodlings who will aggro but are easy to kill and I think there's a scummy half elf hiding near the entrance to Innothule but other than that I was able to safely run around killing spiders/broodlings en masse. Just stay away from the Cazic Thule (don't cross the river!!)/plane areas as then you'll come across stuff that you won't be able to deal with. You'll find the occasional froglok tad/decaying skele so kill those too!

This is coming from a Troll SK if that matters. I do know that unfortunately troll shamen who follow Innoruuk wont be able to interact with oggok merchants making a bit of a hassle for that.

Just some random stuff in my head for now. Anyone got other good stuff to add that they've learned and whatnot.

Brut
05-25-2010, 04:25 AM
- There's 3 skeleton camps at northwest part of the Feerrott, each with 3-4 skeles/zombies. Wonderful place to go lvl up to as far as 11 at (especially for SK), I raked in like 8 stacks of bone chips doing 2 lvls in there. Get a partner through, shm or whatever, since breaking the spawns in the camps stink.

- The slice of the Feerrott beyond the bridge (fear and rathe mnt area) isn't that nice to hang out at. There's lots of roaming lizard scouts and watchers, not to forget skeletons and the lvl50 Dark Assassin who jumps occasionally from behind a tree. I suggest you avoid this part of the place, since it just results in dying and angst.

- Don't bother trying the low lvl lizard camps (they're like lvls 3-5) unless you have a partner. The mystics blind you and you die trying to deal with 3 of em lizards at the same time.

- Cazic Thule area lizards aren't too bad exp for a small duo/trio/quad of some lvl7+ ogres/trolls. The mystics blind and cast shm dots/nukes/heals, so they can pose slight trouble, but other than that, the area is suprisingly easy and not too bad as exp.

- The lizard meats and -tails can be turned in at Oggok SK/Warrior guild. The two guilds are feuding so one gives negative with the other on each turn-in. This gives faction ups with Clurg too, so you might be able to sell to him (he's near warrior guild) once you get your faction high enough.

- If you're an ogre, you have the chance to do banded armor with blacksmithing. Getting it up can be a pain, what with the miniscule wits that ogres are blessed with, but I was able to pack a full suit of large banded at lvl11, with no FS drops looted or anything. Just lizard/frog loot all the way. Check eqtraders.com for blacksmithing skilling guides, metal bits, lanterns and dairy spoons and whatnot. If you're into tailoring, there's bears in Rathe Mnts that drop pelts for you.

- Vendor-bought weapons aren't too bad, either (stuff like Long Sword, Battle Axe). Halberd costs like 20pp and is hardly out of your budget if you keep looting weapons/armor that drops off the mobs, and sells back to vendors for easy 19pp.

- Innothule swamp is nice 4+, at guk entrance to be specific. The frogloks there drop pieces of the netted armor set which both protects your decency and sells nicely. Only issue is the roaming human/elf/dwarf hunters that are about lvl10, often casters. Pay attention to their pathing and you'll be fine.

- I'd say around 10-11 you should move to Sro. Try to get a buddy to join you for some orc camps/spiders, or go on to Nro and join dervish groups. Mid teens it's whatever Unrest/oasis/uguk that best suits your interests.

astarothel
05-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Heres a list of items to sell to players rather than vendor, along with some common prices.

Spiderling Silk: 1pp each (Tailoring/Blacksmithing)
Spider Silk: 1pp each (Tailoring)

Bone Chips: 5pp+ a stack (Necros/SKs)

HQ Bear Skin: 10pp each (Makes Handmade backpacks with tailoring)
HQ Cat Skin: 5pp each (Tailoring)
HQ Wolf Skin: 1-3pp each (Tailoring)
Grizzly Bear Skin: 25pp (Tailoring, note: NOT a Thick Grizzly Bear Skin, those are vendor fodder right now)

Rat Ears: 1pp (For Rat Ear Pies for Paw of Opalla quest)

Some Faction items like Left Goblin Ears can sell well, others not so much.

When in doubt of what an item is for look it up on allakhazam (which is generally correct), don't just assume its vendor trash (altho in EQ theres a lot of those items too)

Xenephex
05-25-2010, 09:39 AM
- - If you're an ogre, you have the chance to do banded armor with blacksmithing. Getting it up can be a pain, what with the miniscule wits that ogres are blessed with,
Strength is an optional base stat for blacksmithing skill ups, so Ogres usually do fine (the highest of wis, int and str would be the stat that is used).

Kainzo
05-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I remember using Large Sewing Kits all the time when I started on live many moons ago.

Although the vendor in EC that used to sell them no longer does.

Xenephex
05-25-2010, 10:04 AM
I remember using Large Sewing Kits all the time when I started on live many moons ago.

Although the vendor in EC that used to sell them no longer does.
I don't remember being able to buy them in EC. I remember running through the tunnel to N Ro to buy large kits.

Brut
05-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Can find sewing kits in the Ferrott too, forgot which vendor. Probably one of the gang roasting dwarves near the bridge.

Forgot about STR thingy. ><

Tenurn
05-25-2010, 12:24 PM
This is great information. I wish i had this at level 1.

guineapig
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Outside of Halas is where I got my large sewing kits.

guineapig
05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Do not underestimate the power of newbie quests in general. and newbie dungeon exp bonuses.

Combine Crushbone exp with Crushbone belts and shoulderpad quests = win!

Same goes for Blackburrow exp combined with the fang/moonstone quests.

And both are a great way to faction too!

JayDee
05-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Stop giving away these amazing secrets

Elendae
05-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Bone chips sell better in bulk. Buy what you find from vendors and resell to players. It's about 2g profit for each chip.

Alternatively, the Kaladim bone chip quest is excellent experience before Crushbone Belts become available. Much better than Felwithe/Qeynos bone chip quests.

Erudin Tower has two very nice quests for new wizards. One nets a potent level 1 ice spell, the other a +mana 1h staff.

Tallenn
05-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Leveling up for good money on Faydwer:

First, BBM in front of Kaladim is by FAR a better starting area than GFay. I don't know about Steamfont, but it's hard to imagine it being better than BBM. You can kill nothing but skels and goblins easily, which all drop coin, and in some cases, rusty weapons and cloth armor. If you can use leather or better, you can get patchwork/tattered from vendors (that players have sold) for essentially the same you sell the cloth for. It's often on the vendors right there in the newbie area, but if not, you should be able to find plenty of it on vendors in the warrior guild.

For the bone chips, you can either sell them for plat (4pp or more players), or use them to get those difficult levels quickly. For example, I leveled a char to 4 there, and then used the bone chips I had collected to get about half way through 5.

At 5, head back to GFay, and look for orc hill or Crushbone groups. Crushbone can get you all the way to 15 or even 20, with some pretty decent money. If you go the soloing route, and have some form of lull or harmony, starting around 5 you can do the bandit camp in GFay (#3 on EQAtlas map) up to about 7 or 8. After that, I recommend the goblin warrior camp in BBM (#11 on EQAtlas map) to 11 or 12, then the bandit camp in LFay (#4 on EQAtlas map) from 12 to 16. The bandits in LFay drop bronze weapons, and there is a nearby ranger camp to sell at. An alternative is the Nybright sisters, also bandits (#14 on EQAtlas map).

I've done that soloing path twice now on P99, and ended up with over 400pp by the time I was 16 on each char.

eqdruid76
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Leveling up for good money on Faydwer:

First, BBM in front of Kaladim is by FAR a better starting area than GFay. I don't know about Steamfont, but it's hard to imagine it being better than BBM. You can kill nothing but skels and goblins easily, which all drop coin, and in some cases, rusty weapons and cloth armor. If you can use leather or better, you can get patchwork/tattered from vendors (that players have sold) for essentially the same you sell the cloth for. It's often on the vendors right there in the newbie area, but if not, you should be able to find plenty of it on vendors in the warrior guild.

For the bone chips, you can either sell them for plat (4pp or more players), or use them to get those difficult levels quickly. For example, I leveled a char to 4 there, and then used the bone chips I had collected to get about half way through 5.

At 5, head back to GFay, and look for orc hill or Crushbone groups. Crushbone can get you all the way to 15 or even 20, with some pretty decent money. If you go the soloing route, and have some form of lull or harmony, starting around 5 you can do the bandit camp in GFay (#3 on EQAtlas map) up to about 7 or 8. After that, I recommend the goblin warrior camp in BBM (#11 on EQAtlas map) to 11 or 12, then the bandit camp in LFay (#4 on EQAtlas map) from 12 to 16. The bandits in LFay drop bronze weapons, and there is a nearby ranger camp to sell at. An alternative is the Nybright sisters, also bandits (#14 on EQAtlas map).

I've done that soloing path twice now on P99, and ended up with over 400pp by the time I was 16 on each char.

Nice post, Tallenn! An excellent guide for newbies.

3 things.

1). What were the two classes you levelled using this strategy? If they were casters, then this is incredibly impressive, because I've made about the same amount on my druid, but it ALL went towards buying spells.

2). BB newbie garden is top notch for everyone BUT dwarves, who are KOS to the rampant number of higher level aviaks that spawn there. Still very doable, but a lot of training to guards or zone for dwarves.

3). Grats on finding mobs in the 10-20 range that actually drop bronze weapons on this server. I looted a grand total of 1 bronze weapon from 10-20 levelling at derv camps and orc highway, all the others were rusty.

Malrubius
05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
- Before you become filthy rich, a good way to reduce some of your weight is to replace your backpacks with large sewing kits. They're about double the cost of a backpack but weigh significantly less. Backpacks are like 3-4 stone whereas a large sewing kit is 0.4. That reduction in weight will be handy when you start equipping your character with a bunch of brunch and start hurting when you're constantly at or near your weight limit and are tempted by lots of booty to loot.

Medicine Bags sell in Grobb (near the bank) for less than backpacks. Weight 0.4; eight slots; Large capacity.

Tallenn
05-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Nice post, Tallenn! An excellent guide for newbies.

3 things.

1). What were the two classes you levelled using this strategy? If they were casters, then this is incredibly impressive, because I've made about the same amount on my druid, but it ALL went towards buying spells.

They were a druid and an enchanter. The druid I actually ran from Misty at level 5 and got a bind,but the ench is High Elf. These were both done before the spell price increase, so the money will be less. Important note: you don't need ALL of your spells each level! Pick and choose, and skip the ones you don't need.

2). BB newbie garden is top notch for everyone BUT dwarves, who are KOS to the rampant number of higher level aviaks that spawn there. Still very doable, but a lot of training to guards or zone for dwarves.

That's true, but at least for melees (I've been sloooowly leveling a dorf paladin here) you can fight them sometimes, and they are really good XP!

3). Grats on finding mobs in the 10-20 range that actually drop bronze weapons on this server. I looted a grand total of 1 bronze weapon from 10-20 levelling at derv camps and orc highway, all the others were rusty.

I've leveled literally dozens of characters on the bandits in LFay. Good exp, tasty bronze. They also drop gems like Jade from time to time, too. The Nybright sisters also drop necklaces for a quest in Kelethin (the drunkard) which also nets a decent item that sells for about as much as a bronze.

Elendae
05-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I've leveled literally dozens of characters on the bandits in LFay. Good exp, tasty bronze. They also drop gems like Jade from time to time, too. The Nybright sisters also drop necklaces for a quest in Kelethin (the drunkard) which also nets a decent item that sells for about as much as a bronze.

Took my bard and monk there. I haven't really had much money trouble because of it.

Swashbuckler
05-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Same goes for Blackburrow exp combined with the fang/moonstone quests.

Unless you absolutely have to raise your faction with Qeynos I like turning the fangs into the warrior lady in the arena pit in Halas. Still gives you lots of xp (think it's the exact same as Qeynos) and 5 gold per fang (!!!) which can really add up fast. You also get a random item such as iron rations, large lanterns and such which can be sold to the vendors for even more money. This (and the fang quest in Qeynos too) turns Blackburrow into basically a farming ground for fangs as groups don't seem to form much there. Kill even those green conned gnolls for their fangs!

Bone chips sell better in bulk. Buy what you find from vendors and resell to players. It's about 2g profit for each chip.

Definitely make it a habit to check primary-ish vendors (the ones where you pretty much know people will be selling stuff too and not ones hidden somewhere in the zone that no one uses) for bone chips and I think even spiderling silk can be bought fairly cheaply off them. Spiderling silk goes for something like 20pp a stack I believe.

Swashbuckler
05-26-2010, 04:20 AM
I don't know the price of the following items but perhaps someone knowledgeable can chime in. Was browsing merchants in Grobb and came across some items I think would be nice in helping you reduce weight.

Collar of Undead Protection. Has 1 less AC than bronze but weighs A LOT less and gives you some resists for what it's worth. Merchant price was about 16pp.

Fine Silk Turban. Same AC as bronze helm and some fire resistance and once again, weighs A LOT less than the bronze. Probably doesn't have the cool plate look though. Merchant price was 80ish pp so not sure what people ask for it.

Azure Sleeves will probably be nice to replace the bronze ones as they have even more AC than the bronze but they will be pricier. Seen them go for like 75pp or so so perhaps something to look for a bit later on.

I checked out the skele/zombie camps that Brut was talking about in NW Feerrott and did lvls 8-10 there. Good stuff but then again troll regen helps a lot too. Got me nearly a full backpack of bone chips too :).

Swashbuckler
05-26-2010, 04:22 AM
Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with mid/high level thing so maybe somebody can add some useful info that us lowbies should look for later on as we gain lvls.