PDA

View Full Version : *New* Auction IRC channel

Shurid
05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Forget about EC tunnel! Play your character, get your level and your loots while auctioning on the new IRC channel.

First...
Visit HERE (http://www.nonags.com/freeware-visual-irc_275.html) for freeware IRC software.

Then...
Follow these (http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/lichinstein/irc_steps.jpg) steps.

Finally...
type /join #auction

Please

Refrain from spamming auctions
Link items by finding it on Allakazam and Copy/pasting the webaddress, it's clickable just like in game.
Keep all non-auction chat off the channel.

astarothel
05-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Just gonna say, item links are a little extreme when most of the time you can say fbss and people will know the deal. Auction spams will definitely get bloated.

Shurid
05-25-2010, 09:16 AM
agreed.

Classic doesn't exactly have that many different items, most people should know what is what by now anyways. The links help for obscure items though.

I always have the Allakazam page up and when I see an item I don't know too much about i pop it in there and see where it drops, how hard it is to get, how to quest for it. Etc...

Shurid
05-25-2010, 09:25 AM
there is also an in browser IRC for those that don't want to download third party software.

http://www.mibbit.com/ ;)

astarothel
05-25-2010, 09:29 AM
I know mibbit had some issues randomly connecting to p1999, so theres an embedded link here that should work

http://project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=37961&postcount=13

Kainzo
05-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Not a huge fan of IRC - if I need an item sold I'll just go to EC or visit the forum here to setup a post, so I can sell while offline.

Otherwise, it's a pretty neat idea.

Shurid
05-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Not a huge fan of IRC - if I need an item sold I'll just go to EC or visit the forum here to setup a post, so I can sell while offline.

Of course those are viable options but if your a new player to this server or have a minimal amount of time to play each day, sitting in EC might not be the best approach.

Heck we could go as far as creating an IRC port channel, fill it with druids and if you need a ride pop in there to see which druids are actively porting for donation.

Bumamgar
05-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Problem with this is that only ~10% of the active players bother with these forums. Anything that isn't in-game doesn't exist for the other 90%.

On the other hand, out of the 10% of active players who visit these forums, 10% of them will enjoy this IRC option, so for 1% of the active player base this will be a good tool for buying and selling :)

Bruman
05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Problem with this is that only ~10% of the active players bother with these forums. Anything that isn't in-game doesn't exist for the other 90%.

On the other hand, out of the 10% of active players who visit these forums, 10% of them will enjoy this IRC option, so for 1% of the active player base this will be a good tool for buying and selling :)

Man, if only there was an easy, in-game way for all people to share information about the items they were selling, that people could join/leave at will.

Oh wait....

(sorry, couldn't resist. I'll stop trolling now)

YendorLootmonkey
05-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Man, if only there was an easy, in-game way for all people to share information about the items they were selling, that people could join/leave at will.

Oh wait....

Yeah, go leave your camp so someone else can camp some loot, and go to EC and sell. ;)

Shawk
05-25-2010, 09:35 PM

Oh wait....

oh and if only there were ways to go to bed and still have your character selling for me, cause that would make perfect sense and would make this server so much better.. Because easier means better donchaknow.

Oh wait....

DUUUHHHERRRRRR EYE NO HOW SARCASEMM STUFFS 2

Bruman
05-26-2010, 11:21 AM
oh and if only there were ways to go to bed and still have your character selling for me, cause that would make perfect sense and would make this server so much better.. Because easier means better donchaknow.

Because more difficult means better donchaknow? They should get rid of /say, /auc, and /ooc altogether then, and you have to just send tells to people.

I guess that's what I don't understand - why anything added for convenience's sake automatically means GO PLAY WOW NOOB. I guess I don't see the added community benefit of having less access to people, requiring you to spend to less time grouping (which is the actual true meat of the game - grouping and killing shit, not sitting in a tunnel spamming /auc).

I really think people just want the nostalgia factor of the EC tunnel, which is fine, but don't act like it's the savior of the game or any deviation there-of automatically means everything would go to shit. News flash - EQ wasn't a perfect game when released!

LazyFuj
05-26-2010, 05:42 PM
If you are grouped and leveling, why even try to sell? Don't make your customer run from freeport to Unrest imo.

Malrubius
05-26-2010, 07:59 PM
News flash - EQ wasn't a perfect game when released!

Another news flash - most of us don't WANT a "perfect game"! :D

eqdruid76
05-26-2010, 09:11 PM
I hope this catches on, and I'm going to laugh when you abandon it because of all the asshat spam. THEN you'll understand.

Bruman
05-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Another news flash - most of us don't WANT a "perfect game"! :D

Hehehe, very true. Some people want 1999 EQ exactly as it was, warts and all. Hence my comment about "I really think people just want the nostalgia factor of the EC tunnel, which is fine"