PDA

View Full Version : Fresh blood from a newbie

bootmandarqnig
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi all, first of all say that I'm new online games, so I would like to give me some tips before you start, I'll give you some data, so that when the character creation easier , anyway, if you can ask whatever.

I would like a character with possibility of melee damage, and if possible play around with people, because I do not play online like playing alone.

Thank you very much, and sorry if this message does not go here.

Messianic
08-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Rogue/Ranger/Warrior/Shadowknight/Paladin/Monk

All are more or less grouping classes that do melee damage.

bootmandarqnig
08-24-2012, 04:04 PM
and which of them is most wanted for groups?

Messianic
08-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Probably any of the tank classes (War/Pal/SK) or rogues.

Tecmos Deception
08-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Hey Boot, glad to see you interested in p99 :)

Generally all melee on here tend to play with other people. Which one you want to play depends on which sounds best. Any of them are a good class to play if it sounds fun to you. Here's my attempt to quickly summarize each melee class:

Warriors - they are considered the only real tank for raids because of a single ability they get that lets them take (but also deal) significantly reduced damage for a long period of time. But you will spend 99% of your time in EQ outside of raids. Warriors are tanks who rely on procs from weapons to keep aggro, and they have the best damage potential of any tank. Their world focuses around the wide variety of armor and proccing weapons they can use. They cannot solo without a lot of very expensive gear.

Shadowknights - SKs are tanks also. They deal less damage than warriors generally but can hold aggro easier in most leveling groups because their spells are their source of aggro, not their randomly-proccing weapons. They also get a ton of utility from spells, which include lifedrains, snares, fears, the ability to fake death, and other great spells. SKs are the best of the "tank" classes at soloing, probably, because of better damage dealing than a paladin while having strong utility spells plus the option of fear-kiting. SKs are also one of the best, if not the best, classes at pulling just the monsters they want, and no more monsters, to the group to kill.

Paladins - Yet another tank. Paladins are generally going to deal less damage than SKs, though they keep aggro and take hits just as well. They keep aggro with spells also, and their spells give them utility via buffing, healing, rooting, and attacking undead monsters. Paladins are good pullers and can solo slowly, though solo picks up at higher levels.

Rangers - Rangers are a damage-dealing melee class, but they can tank in a pinch with some high-aggro spells, they just require some more healing than the tougher tanks do. Rangers are the lowest DPS of the damage dealing classes, but they get some snaring, rooting, healing, and damaging spells to add to their utility. Rangers are good pullers.

Monks - Monks are a bit of an oddity in this era of EQ. They deal nearly as much damage as a rogue does, but they take hits nearly as well as a warrior. They don't have spells, but they have other abilities that give them more utility than a warrior would (they can fake death, heal themselves ocassionally, sneak, and use different special attacks). A monk's drawbacks, though, include a very limited armor selection and a penalty to armor class if they carry too much weight. Monks are generally the go-to puller in leveling groups.

Rogues - rogues are the kings of damage-dealing, but they are poor at taking hits and are almost impossible to solo even with amazing gear. They need a group with other melee (or fear-kiters) in order to do their backstabbing, but their amazing damage potential and their hiding, sneaking, lock-picking utility makes them quite desirable in groups.

Bards - I'll mention bards here because, while they aren't REALLY a "melee" class, they do get end up meleeing in leveling groups. They do less damage than a paladin or SK usually, but they make up for poor melee damage with a wide variety of songs that can damage or debuff or control enemies or heal and buff their entire group. A great bard truly is a wonder to behold.

It is probably worth mentioning that rogues and warriors are the only ones of these classes that do not have an experience penalty. SKs, pallies, rangers, bards, and to a lesser extent monks, all need more experience to level up than a rogue or a warrior does.

Warriors and rogues are probably the most desired of these classes for groups, although very very few groups will turn away a paladin or shadowknight tank, or a monk DPS. Rangers have a bit of a stigma attached to them because they don't have a clearly defined role in groups... they do good damage, but not as good as a rogue or monk or magi. They have control spells, but not as good of control spells as an enchanter. They can tank, but healers usually prefer to heal a REAL tank instead of a ranger or a monk. GOOD rangers and bards are appreciated, but it takes more work to get people to recognize that they want you in their group if you're a bard or a ranger than if you're a tank or a rogue.

bootmandarqnig
08-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Well, good morning everyone, thank you very much for your input, I decided on a warrior finally wanted a tank and I think it's the best as read, I hope to have good moments in the game with.

Boilon
08-25-2012, 05:20 AM
if you ever need any assistance in game, feel free to send me a message on any of my signature toons

myxomatosii
08-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Well, good morning everyone, thank you very much for your input, I decided on a warrior finally wanted a tank and I think it's the best as read, I hope to have good moments in the game with.

Welcome!

bootmandarqnig
08-25-2012, 06:17 AM
a doubt that arises between me dark elf, barbarian or ogre, which would you recommend?

stdfreextc
08-25-2012, 06:29 AM
id say rogue would be the best to be a melee and wanted for groups. Any class for the most part below level 30 youll get groups but being totally honest SKs and Paladins are avoided like the plague because of the exp penalty in lvl 50+ groups, Warriors are fun and always wanted for groups once they are properly geared but you cant really just gear one out as your first character. Monks can pull for groups and tank/melee. Rogues have an exp bonus and are best melee dps although they cant tank anything.

Maybach 2.0
08-25-2012, 06:37 AM
a doubt that arises between me dark elf, barbarian or ogre, which would you recommend?

New to EQ? Orge War is the most straight forward, best racially paired set up. Those starting stats give you lots of room for error when youre learning to punch large rats with your sword

bootmandarqnig
08-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Well, I am going with a doubt.

Begun to play an ogre warrior, and level 1 have killed me while hunting, I have also drowned and lost a sword and a vest I started, as I can continue or should I do? because now I can not kill any more lizard

Tasslehofp99
08-25-2012, 08:20 AM
For a warrior, statistically as of right now Ogres are the best starting out. For a player new to EQ, I'd avoid making a barbarian as you will be stuck in everfrost/qeynos area for ages and its not a fun place to be. I would suggest staying away from Dark Elf as a race for warrior.

theaetatus
08-25-2012, 08:26 AM
I'd suggest staying away from warrior entirely for a new player. You will be expected to tank with the aggro problems of not having decent weapons and expected to know zones well enough to pull them often, as well as having no ways to avoid combat or travel around.

It'll be a tough slog for sure. I'd recommend picking rogue for melee as you can sneak around to scout zones you don't know, won't get expected to pull, and can do well even without fancy gear.

That said, if your heart is set on warrior, just keep at it :)

username17
08-25-2012, 08:57 AM
In a situation like this you can delete your character and just sart over. Since you're still level 1.
Dieing and drowning are all part of the experience but it's less painful to do them on a level 1 vs a level 60.