PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay at 60

Tecmos Deception
08-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm trying to keep this from being a TLDR post.

With that said, I get the impression that there are 3 basic kinds of gameplay at 60. Those being "serious" raiding (TMO killing gods and dragons), "casual" raiding (several different guilds doing planar clears, epic mobs, and maybe getting a lucky-ish god or dragon kill here or there), and cash camp farming. And you can do more than 1 with a single character, and I guess there is more to do at 60 than JUST these 3 things, but for me (and I think for most people?), tradeskills and random exploration and helping other people level aren't enough to keep someone playing a given character.

Cash camp farming is the thing that gets me. Am I wrong, or is it basically dominated by clerics, shamans, enchanters, and tanks? Sure, you can take a whole group to crypt or king, but isn't it true that probably 90% of the fungis and hieros and HS south drops on the server were obtained by a 1-3 character combination of clerics, shamans, enchanters, and tanks?

Does velious change things? Are there more situations in velious where a bigger group is needed to accomplish some non-raiding feats, such that classes that don't have a role in powerhouse solo/duo/trio makeups have good shots at cash camps?

And the TLDR version: am I a retard for playing a rogue instead of a cleric, enchanter, shaman, or tank?
Other TLDR version: I'm a whiny player who is playing a class that cant duo cash camps.

Adrieth
08-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Can't tell you how things change in Velious, since I only raided in velious and did pretty much nothing else.

But, rogues are a pretty safe bet for cash camps. I see lots of rogues doing king, and they're required for crypt (pick lock). I would say camps in Seb/HS are more often trio'd than duo'd, but I could be wrong there.

Susanbanthony
08-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Don't forget Necro's.

I duo most cash camps. With a Shaman when I'm on my Necro and with a Ranger when I'm on my Cleric.

Tecmos Deception
08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Guess I just should stop complaining and make 60 while making friends to do trios with :)

Barkingturtle
08-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Personally, I just farm Impskin Gloves because I still haven't leveled past 40.

This is my end game.

falkun
08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Rogues fulfill to much of a niche roll to fit well into duos/solos. Duos and trios are dominated by classes that are more well-rounded: see ENC, SHM, MNK, SK. Then you have the powerhouses of specialties: pulling - MNK, SK, CC - ENC, solo - NEC, healing - CLR. Basically, DPS is secondary in duo situations to things like solo pulling or out-tanking/healing the incoming hits, so they get the shaft.

But crypt (entry) requires a rogue, so you're not completely SOL for the cash.

As for Velious. The Kael plate cycle is a 1-2 group farming one that definitely requires some DPS to keep ahead of the spawn. I'd imagine East Wing of TOV will be on similar farm status for a while. And there should be a faction farming group in Kael arena until dragons like people.

Hailto
08-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't know too much about Rogues, i will say that Shaman is the absolute best class to play if you want to do cash camps imho.

Hailto
08-27-2012, 12:04 PM

This is my end game.

Why not do AC if thats the case? Way better money.

Tecmos Deception
08-27-2012, 12:05 PM
As for Velious. The Kael plate cycle is a 1-2 group farming one that definitely requires some DPS to keep ahead of the spawn. I'd imagine East Wing of TOV will be on similar farm status for a while. And there should be a faction farming group in Kael arena until dragons like people.

Gotcha. This is basically what I wondering about. I was too far behind the curve on live during velious to be involved in any of the high-level stuff, so I wasn't sure if when velious rolls around there would be much content that is tough enough that the duos and trios that dominate so much of the game now will give way to larger groups.

falkun
08-27-2012, 12:16 PM
There are still single group or less things to camp. For bards, I'm looking forward to (at least for the first few hours) camping my werewolf and water elemental illusions, which should both be single group or less camps. I honestly don't remember what's all worth camping in Velious. I'm sure there will also be a market for armor gems that could be quite lucrative.

Aicha
08-27-2012, 12:24 PM

This is my end game.

This made me giggle.:D

Splorf22
08-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Speaking as someone who farmed the cash for RoA, strings, BCG, and IP: the best cash camps currently are the spore king, crypt, and HS south. Your problem is the retarded mechanics of invisibility pulling, which enable a good farm team to kill only named/ph.

The spore king is done duo if you are good (shm/enc is the best, sk/donals cleric is #2) and you kill 1 mob every 30 minutes with huge afks in between. HS South is also done duo if you are good (clr/enc is the best, enc/enc is second) and again you'll have downtime. The crypt is farmable by shamans and enchanters solo (although the guardians are annoying) and enchanters don't even need a rogue to get in.

So basically I think your original post is mostly correct with the exception that shaman and (charmed) pets provide 95% of the tankage, which is the real problem with adding a rogue, because then you need two additional players.

Tarathiel
08-27-2012, 12:30 PM
farm rogue epic mq's. it keeps me busy enough =p

Splorf22
08-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Oh and to try and be actually useful: try and 3-man the crypt. I've done rog/enc/clr (the cleric tanked! And then won the cloak too) and rog/enc/druid (rogue tanked) and we cleared everything. We actually leveled the druid from 59.95 to 60.10 in 2-3 hours.

Tarathiel
08-27-2012, 12:52 PM
one of the funnest trio's out there is monk/rogue/shaman or shadowknight/rogue/shaman. you would be amazed at what this trio can do even at low lvls

diplo
08-27-2012, 01:11 PM
epic mage shits on all those camps with a shammy/cle/enc duo.

Tecmos Deception
08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
one of the funnest trio's out there is monk/rogue/shaman or shadowknight/rogue/shaman. you would be amazed at what this trio can do even at low lvls

Yeah, I figured these would be my best chance to do cash camps with low numbers.