PDA

View Full Version : Can new Players catch up?

Leifer
08-29-2012, 05:43 PM
I was looking at perhaps joining the Project 1999 club but was wondering if a new player has much of a chance of catching up? I'd like to eventually do raids again down the road somewhere if there is such a thing going on these days?

Old Server: Bristlebane
Played: Nov '99 - May '06
Guilds: Dynasty/Succuring Winds/Club Fu

Thanks!

SwordNboard
08-29-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm gonna let the people who like to repeat themselves take this one.

sonicjoose
08-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Of course you can catch up. Get to lvl 60 and then get into one of the best guilds on the server. I'm sure they'll take you along for a "raid"

Vladigan
08-29-2012, 06:08 PM
My advice is don't take much advice from the message boards. Lots of debbie downers here..

Frankly, if you want to play EQ to covet your pixels you will be most likely disappointed... If you want to relive a classic experience and play an MMO with a community feel (good and bad) then you will be very happy...

Basically just pick a class you enjoy playing, group a lot, and make new friends....

A lot of drama at the top, but I like to be an optimist and believe that people are generally good, and guilds that are number one are full of good and bad people just like the rest of the server...

When my time comes to do my epic, I am pretty sure if I ask nicely, some of these top guilds would let me come along on certain raids. I guess we will find out in about 30 levels. :)

Just my 2cp worth.....

feanan
08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
You should be hoping that you don't catch up! Just enjoy the ride. If you look to the end, you'll most likely be disappointed.

Take your time, enjoy the game and people, and just aim to be higher level when velious drops.

People are fairly nice in game, and I think the message boards are poisonous. Go to the wiki if you are looking for information, and stay away from here ;)

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Main_Page

MammothMafia
08-29-2012, 06:44 PM
dont know what time you started playing back in the day but with vel dropping soon im sure people like myself will make new chars since lvling up in those zones is some of the best times i can remember from back then.

Tecmos Deception
08-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Well it kind of depends on what you mean by catch up, OP. I'll try to answer your question realistically without being a debbie downer, though. Just remember that even when everyone starts at the same time, the players who are online for 8 hours every day quickly "get ahead" of those who only have time to play on the weekends, for example.

If we call level 46 a minimum for hate/fear/sky/epics raiding, then I'd say you are something like 6-7 days /played away from raiding. If you're talking about being in on the god and dragon (and VP dragon!) kills on the server, then you'll need to be level 60 with resist gear and keys and all that... probably at least 15 days /played.

Some classes will get to those points quicker. You can AE kite a bard to 50 in a few days /played and you don't need to worry about buying rare spells or expensive gear in order to be very effective. As a healer, get some twinked melee on your friends list and heal them as they power through the levels. Melee will be tougher to level from a fresh start even if you make good friends and group with them all the time, but it is doable.

Raiding guilds seem to be open to accept any class as long as you get to know their members and demonstrate your competence prior to applying for the guild. I.e. GROUP with the guild you want to get in with as soon as possible. Raiding guilds tend to be looking for more clerics, bards, wizards, rogues, and tanks, before any of the other classes.

As cliche as it is, I agree that you shouldn't focus too awfully much on your end destination in the game. Don't neglect it, because it is something you WANT to do. But don't get so caught up in wanting to clear the planes or get your epic or kill trakanon or whatever that you forget you're supposed to have fun right from level 1.

This is a super fun game right from the get go, after all. Pick a class you want to play, find some cool people to play with, and then work towards your goals from there while having fun along the way.

nilzark
08-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Why be in a hurry? Playing and grouping is what is fun - not hurrying to the end game.

ArumTP
08-30-2012, 04:21 AM
Raiding is fun, not grouping for exp.

Vicatin
08-30-2012, 08:25 AM

To each their own. I enjoy grouping just as much if not more than raiding.

To the OP - new players are starting every day. Its never too late...were only on the second expansion, not too hard to get max lvl.

falkun
08-30-2012, 08:29 AM

Grouping is fun, raiding can be fun, grouping is fun more often.

formallydickman
08-30-2012, 08:32 AM
There is always time to catch up. I can't tell you how many people have cycled in and out over the last 2 years or so.

Swish
08-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Nothing beats the low end for group enjoyment after a long break. Crushbone, Unrest, MM... those sorts of places are a good time :)

Raavak
08-30-2012, 02:54 PM
The turnover of players on P1999 is probably alot higher than you saw on Live, mostly because the expansions aren't coming as fast and people "win" by whatever definition they have and then find something else to do with their time.

It is totally possible today to start a new character from scratch and work yourself up to being in a top guild with best-in-slot gear. Just depends on your time commitment.

Striiker
08-30-2012, 04:34 PM
I'll add to the list of people telling you to not worry about catching up. There's a LOT of content out there for all levels. Take time to have fun and enjoy it! You'll make some good friends along the way and before you know it, you'll be ready to raid the planes etc.

Also, as said, don't put too much emphasis on the message boards here. You'll get good advice and bad attitudes. It's useful to stop by to ask for some advice etc. but be selective in what you do listen to.

Splorf22
08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I would say yes and no. I agree with Myuharin; its not so easy to zoom to L60. If we estimate 5 hours/level 1-50 + 5 extra hours for 30, 35, 40 and 10 extra hours for 45. Then we are looking at 25 hours/level 51-59 + 25 extra hours for 54 and for 59. So thats 50*5 + 25*10 + 25 + 25 + 25 = 575 hours of xp time to get to L60. That works out to 20-25 days just xping, let alone running around questing, LFG, dying, getting rezzed, selling stuff in the tunnel, camping stuff for gear, etc. As Myu said just doing the VP key quest is 1 day easily /played between the rotting skeleton, pained soul, and Verix Kylong's Remains. Of course maybe things are a bit better b/c you can group with twinks and get high level buffs periodically, but EQ is a pretty hard game to level up in.

On the other hand, nothing is stopping you from logging on and having a good time, and considering the way raiding works is so retarded on this server I've kind of given up on it until either Velious/Nilbog's raid fix with linked repops so I think there is little incentive to zoom to 60.

OngorDrakan
08-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Well im lvl 43 so you got a ways to catch up.

formallydickman
08-31-2012, 01:27 AM
I would say yes and no. I agree with Myuharin; its not so easy to zoom to L60. If we estimate 5 hours/level 1-50 + 5 extra hours for 30, 35, 40 and 10 extra hours for 45.

10 extra hours for 45 is absurdly high.

Asher
08-31-2012, 01:59 AM
I was looking at perhaps joining the Project 1999 club but was wondering if a new player has much of a chance of catching up? I'd like to eventually do raids again down the road somewhere if there is such a thing going on these days?

Old Server: Bristlebane
Played: Nov '99 - May '06
Guilds: Dynasty/Succuring Winds/Club Fu

Thanks!

You are too late. We are progressing too fast. :rolleyes:

Asher

aegeryen
08-31-2012, 02:12 AM
Well it kind of depends on what you mean by catch up, OP. I'll try to answer your question realistically without being a debbie downer, though. Just remember that even when everyone starts at the same time, the players who are online for 8 hours every day quickly "get ahead" of those who only have time to play on the weekends, for example .

This part is true .... but the short answer is yes you can catch up