PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw Powerleveling

Arclanz
08-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Surely this has come up before; if anyone can find an older thread, please bump it so I can comment there.

It seems like a double standard to outlaw boxing but permit powerleveling. (especially since I suspect most powerleveling is actually from boxers)

Sirken
08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
if u suspect boxxing, make a petition, and include the names of the two players.

Vladigan
08-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Surely this has come up before; if anyone can find an older thread, please bump it so I can comment there.

It seems like a double standard to outlaw boxing but permit powerleveling. (especially since I suspect most powerleveling is actually from boxers)

I have often wondered the same thing. The mentality of banning boxing was that it takes away from the community theme of EQ and takes up spots in groups where other players could occupy.

But IMO, PLing is more detrimental to server community than anything else. Once person, or two I guess, can rob entire group(s) of pulls and obviously since the person being PL'd has no desire to group with similar levels, takes away from the community theme....

Frankly, I have no problem with PLing or Solo players, but I am amazed by the mentality of this server when it comes to being so punishing to boxers, but turns a blind eye to other things that are just as if not more detrimental to the sever.....

(I truly believe if you banned PLing, most Boxers would go away as well. Why else Box? )

Tecmos Deception
08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
95% of the time PLing means either one of two things:

1) the two people are friends, or
2) the two people have both played the game a lot already.

God forbid friends should play together, and god forbid that high-level people who have nothing else to do should accept money from someone else who has a high-level character and wants to level a new character quickly, am I right?

Edit - of course there is the third possibility, the other 5% of the time, that the PLer is just helping someone out out of the goodness of his heart. That is the most vile form of PL, of course.

Picked
08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Couple points to make. Powerleveling does not mean someone is 2 boxing. You make friends on this server, or even have friends that join you. It's nothing out of the ordinary for someone to get a wild hair and fire up a character and ask for help from friends with it.

Second point is, people look at powerleveling as a reason for people not to group. When in all actuality the person being powerleveled probably wouldn't have started that character and leveled them without it. They would have just stuck with their mains. Half the reason people roll alts is because they can afford or have resources for powerleveling. So it's not like outlawing it is going to get a bunch of people wanting to group all of a sudden.

Powerleveling is something that is a luxury. Much like teleports, or sow. It's not something you have to have. But you pay extra or go the extra mile for it. If someone was ruining your camp because of PL that is not good. There is still ethics involved with or without powerleveling. But that doesn't make all powerlevelers evil either.

Vicatin
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
This is silly. The 2 arent even comparable. A very small % gets PLd, theres no way to monitor PLing either.

Slycen
08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
I guess they should ban 60's who solo camps too?

Because some group of 50-52's can't get in there now.....

This is silly.

Orruar
08-30-2012, 01:07 PM
How would you enforce a ban on powerleveling? Unliking 2 boxing (which really should be legal), there is no distinct line between doing it and not. When I'm running somewhere and buff some noobs along the way, that could be construed as powerleveling. If you want it to be enforcable, you'd have to ban all help to a person or group of people from someone outside of that group. Talk about killing the spirit of cooperation in the game.

Fryhole
08-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Throwing my 2 cents in also:
You can purchase someone's time to power level your character, but you can't do it yourself? Does not compute.
I can see not wanting players to have pocket cleric/druid/mage/whatevers, but that appears to be happening anyways. (account trading)
If the goal is to encourage grouping why not bump up the group xp bonus and also remove the hybrid xp penalties. (or something else)

Splorf22
08-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Powerleveling is fine. A lot of people who have L60 chars want to experiment with other classes and not grind up to 50+ solo again.

What is annoying is people who powerlevel in XP zones, i.e. Kurns, Unrest, Crushbone, Mistmoore. I see so many druids and monks who just have to clear in Mistmoore. Go to Kaesora where no one else is around. Go to Sol A where there are seldom groups. Go to Runnyeye.

Arclanz
08-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Last I checked, only a couple classes are good at PL. Is every druid on the server recruiting their friends to play (and PL'ng them)? Anyone who has been uber knows the formula for EQ. Roll a druid; get it to max level then PL whatever toon(s) you really want.

sykotic
08-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Last I checked, only a couple classes are good at PL. Is every druid on the server recruiting their friends to play (and PL'ng them)?

FD wipes damage tables here... Amazing to use while PLing

Swish
08-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Guys come on now...you don't need to log on your "wife's" account to sit in EC with such things as this:- http://ahungry.com/eqauctions

As seen in the "two-boxing" thread stickied, I'm extremely anti-boxing because trying to get a group with my rogue and even cleric would be an even trickier task with anti-social boxers all over the place on the server.

If you really want to play two accounts at once, do it positively and play 1 character on blue, 1 on red. Or pick another EQemu server, plenty there.

Tecmos Deception
08-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Last I checked, only a couple classes are good at PL.

Who/what did you check? Lol.

Druids? Strong PL, especially for lower levels.
Clerics? As strong or stronger than druids depending on gear.
Monks? Great for melees.
Shadowknights? Good for melees.
Necromancers? Great for anyone, even at 55+.
Magicians? Great for melees.
Shamans? Great for melees.
Bards? Great for casters with PBAOE.

Hell. Even enchanters could be a great PL all the way to 60, and for any class, with some more-or-less fancy charming tactics.

People just think druids are the only option for PL because they are used to getting a DS and regrowth at tunnel and think that because they can then own level 10 mobs in EC, a druid must be the best PL ever.

Also, leveling a druid to 50+ just so you can then PL other characters is incredibly stupid. Jesus.

Orruar
08-30-2012, 02:28 PM
As seen in the "two-boxing" thread stickied, I'm extremely anti-boxing because trying to get a group with my rogue and even cleric would be an even trickier task with anti-social boxers all over the place on the server.

So your theory is that the no 2 boxing rule forces people to group with you who otherwise wouldn't want to? Seems kinda selfish. Of course, that's not really the case since the people who would 2 box by themselves just play a solo class now. Groups would actually be easier to find since they are easier to start when someone can box a tank or cleric when one can't be found.

Ravager
08-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Powerleveling is fine. A lot of people who have L60 chars want to experiment with other classes and not grind up to 50+ solo again.

What is annoying is people who powerlevel in XP zones, i.e. Kurns, Unrest, Crushbone, Mistmoore. I see so many druids and monks who just have to clear in Mistmoore. Go to Kaesora where no one else is around. Go to Sol A where there are seldom groups. Go to Runnyeye.

PLer's stay out of Sol A and Runnyeye. Those are my zones. It amazes me how little they are used considering how good the loot is for those levels, the fact that you can bank/merch without leaving the zones, or if you can't sneak around, you don't have to go far at all to bank/merch. And since they're virtually empty, there is never a shortage of mobs. Not to mention how little hp the mobs have, they go down in a hurry. Nuts to MM and Unrest, where you're fighting 3 other groups or a single PLer for mobs, let the PLer's have their crappy zones with 12 mobs on the other side of the world.

Mouse
08-30-2012, 02:41 PM
95% of the time PLing means either one of two things:

1) the two people are friends, or
2) the two people have both played the game a lot already.

God forbid friends should play together, and god forbid that high-level people who have nothing else to do should accept money from someone else who has a high-level character and wants to level a new character quickly, am I right?

Edit - of course there is the third possibility, the other 5% of the time, that the PLer is just helping someone out out of the goodness of his heart. That is the most vile form of PL, of course.

Good job here.

Mouse
08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Druids? Strong PL.
Clerics? Decent PL.
Monks? Great for melees.
Shadowknights? Good for no one, speed sucks balls.
Necromancers? Decent for anyone, even at 55+.
Magicians? Fastest available PL after lvl 12.
Shamans? Great for melees, kinda, speed sucks.

fixt

Swish
08-30-2012, 02:48 PM
So your theory is that the no 2 boxing rule forces people to group with you who otherwise wouldn't want to? Seems kinda selfish.

I don't doubt there's some boxers already who think they're getting away with it permanently. If boxing was suddenly allowed, players who don't want to box become at a disadvantage and will then be turned towards levelling necromancers etc. No point levelling a rogue if there's nobody to group with right?

Groups would actually be easier to find since they are easier to start when someone can box a tank or cleric when one can't be found.

This is a very subjective view. People come back to a server like this to recreate the old EQ experience they had in 1999-2001. If they turn up, roll a rogue and then get into the teen levels to see a bunch of boxers who don't want to slow their progress down, that guy probably either:-

A - Rolls a soloable class (probably not a cleric or tank unless they're extra committed)
B - Leaves the server.

So in fact, by opening up P99 to boxers might water down the existing 'real' population (I know I'd quit for THF or something) and then you have the R99 situation where nobody logs in because the server population is already so low and the experience essentially is logging on, putting on LFG for a while, then giving up.

The underlying point is that boxing isn't allowed, and it should stay that way - or scrap R99 and make it a blue "boxing allowed" server.

Picked
08-30-2012, 02:50 PM
The whole 2 boxing issue to me doesn't hold water. Sure if you can roll a monk/shaman combo or something similar and duo you can. But in my EQ live experiences most of the groups I actually got into were functioning purely because there was someone 2 boxing a cleric or tank that was vital to starting the group in the first place.

I'm sure it would be different now then it was after 15+ expansions on live, but it isn't lightyears difference. We all know to have a good functioning group you need a tank, a healer, and a puller. Well what are the things you are looking for the most to hold a group together or form one? A tank and a healer.

Spent a ton of time with people boxing characters and got great exp I would have never gotten sitting LFG waiting for a "legit" group to form up.

Sure there will be 2 boxing camps for items, but most camps are already solo'd by 60s that are important.

JayDee
08-30-2012, 03:02 PM
OP Summary :
I have no friends to pl me

Swish
08-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Why not just add mercs then? Essentially the same thing.

Raavak
08-30-2012, 03:09 PM
From what I see in guildchat alot of PL is traded between people, quid pro quo.

hatelore
08-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Powerleveling isn't so bad, I think the dorf I powerleveled in Mistmoore would disagree with it being banned, same with the ranger and shaman I powerleveled in Oasis today ;) And yeah, It was one of the 5% powerlevels ( out of kindness) .

There is a huge difference between powerleveling and boxing. Do you really wanna see boxers take the majority of the camps, that is what happened on live? That is the beauty of this server, no boxing frees up tons of camps for groups! And when you can't two box you have to actually "interact" with people and get help, which is another cool thing about this game. Just my 2 cents.

hatelore
08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Anyone can sit here and talk about how bad powerleveling is, but I bet if someone offered it , your arse would be all over that powerlevel ;) This game is tough enough as it is leveling, any break/help you get is a good thing !

rikustrength
08-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Honestly I've been priveleged to have a PL a couple of times, and the only times it has ever happened to me is when a kind high lvl player has PLed my entire group. He pulled from our camp, and from much higher level camps that were unoccupied and completely impossible to do on our own. I don't see how this was detrimental to anyone else in the zone or in our group. We were a full group of 6 still talking and working together, no one else was short on mobs at any time, and we all added him to our friends list. There was much merriment to have, and I got a little bit of a break on my hell level.

Now, as far as PLing in a highly populated zone taking from prospective camps that appropriately leveled characters could be doing, that falls into a bit of an iffy category I think. It's really frustrating from the standpoint of a low-mid level character to see a lvl 60 breezing through an entire zone of mobs to PL one person when all you're looking to do is lay claim to one camp.

I don't think PLing should be outlawed, but I also don't think a PLer should be able to lay claim to more than one camp if a sufficient group of appropriately leveled characters is present. The rules as they are now say if you can hold it and maintain a presence, it's yours. But a PLer can often hold a whole zone. I say, if a group of people just wanting xp comes along, let the PLer get first pick at their camp, and let the other group take whatever else they want. It just plain isn't fair seeing people excluded from a whole zone of content because one PLer wants to pull the whole zone.

Orruar
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
I don't doubt there's some boxers already who think they're getting away with it permanently. If boxing was suddenly allowed, players who don't want to box become at a disadvantage and will then be turned towards levelling necromancers etc. No point levelling a rogue if there's nobody to group with right?

Did you quote the wrong part of my post? Your argument doesn't make sense anyway, but it makes even less sense with the part of the post you quoted. I wasn't arguing that there are people 2 boxing now. I argued people who would normally 2 box by themselves will probably just solo by themselves with the current rules.

This is a very subjective view. People come back to a server like this to recreate the old EQ experience they had in 1999-2001. If they turn up, roll a rogue and then get into the teen levels to see a bunch of boxers who don't want to slow their progress down, that guy probably either:-

A - Rolls a soloable class (probably not a cleric or tank unless they're extra committed)
B - Leaves the server.

So in fact, by opening up P99 to boxers might water down the existing 'real' population (I know I'd quit for THF or something) and then you have the R99 situation where nobody logs in because the server population is already so low and the experience essentially is logging on, putting on LFG for a while, then giving up.

The underlying point is that boxing isn't allowed, and it should stay that way - or scrap R99 and make it a blue "boxing allowed" server.

What if a person's original EQ experience from 1999-2001 included 2 boxing? I know I started 2 boxing pretty early since my brother played a cleric, which was necessary, and he didn't play at the same hours as me. So my classic EQ experience includes 2 boxing.

And for your poor rogue that leveled into the teens and ran into people 2 boxing who didn't want to group... What does he do now if he levels up to the teens and sees a bunch of people soloing who don't want to group? It's the same thing. You pretend like eliminating 2 boxing suddenly makes everyone want to group together.

I'd be all for a blue boxing allowed server. I bet blue boxing would kill blue off though, so I doubt the devs would go for such an idea.

Raavak
08-30-2012, 03:45 PM
If you wanna box just choose another server. Most allow it. The Sleeper is said to allow you to use 1 or 2 boxes. Part of the thing that makes P1999 P1999 is no boxing.

Thulack
08-30-2012, 03:48 PM
If you wanna box just choose another server. Most allow it. The Sleeper is said to allow you to use 1 or 2 boxes. Part of the thing that makes P1999 P1999 is no boxing.

And thats why this is Project 1999 and not actual Classic 1999. The Dev's do what they "think" is in the best interest of the server if it's classic or not.

Tarathiel
08-30-2012, 04:02 PM
PLing is fine just dont be a douche, 2-boxxing is retarded and will never be allowed on this server

dead horse is dead

Swish
08-30-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't see much sense in any of what you're posting funnily. You're acting as if boxing would be healthy for the server... while those that don't box have to put up with either soloing or converting to boxing. What's one of live's downfalls for a lot of people? Mercs, I hated the mercs and the anti-social playstyles that developed because of them. I'd say it killed the community spirit of the servers in fact.

What if a person's original EQ experience from 1999-2001 included 2 boxing? I know I started 2 boxing pretty early since my brother played a cleric, which was necessary, and he didn't play at the same hours as me. So my classic EQ experience includes 2 boxing.

It wasn't until Kunark that 2-boxing really started to take off. I noticed the difference immediately, token tank running through a zone with cleric on auto-follow. All very handy for a group situation, except tells weren't replied to and the guy pulling the strings wanted to solo. Sure, play your way... but bear in mind a bunch of other classes would have loved to have joined in rather than struggle.

And for your poor rogue that leveled into the teens and ran into people 2 boxing who didn't want to group... What does he do now if he levels up to the teens and sees a bunch of people soloing who don't want to group? It's the same thing. You pretend like eliminating 2 boxing suddenly makes everyone want to group together.

The server has worked quite well, in that if there's a shortage of a class there tends to be a shift towards people starting alts? Tanks, clerics, the works. Less LFG time is always a bonus right? Except we all know that a tank and cleric is fairly slow going without any dps...so people will group. That's what the old era was about, grouping. That's what people arguably come to this server to do... meet people, group up, make friends and enjoy the experience over again.

Allow boxing, and everyone turns anti-social, class options are no longer realistic options unless you too are boxing. You pretend like mass boxing will still result in a healthy proportion of all classes being played.

I'd be all for a blue boxing allowed server. I bet blue boxing would kill blue off though, so I doubt the devs would go for such an idea.

I'd argue the opposite. Most newcomers who are playing solo (ie, not with the "wife", "brother" etc) will not head to a boxing server... because there's not much chance of levelling along with a boxer unless they know him/her already. Therefore your pool of boxing potential players is limited to those who are here already, and many of those (though not all) won't want to start at Day 0 and level characters from the beginning without twinked gear.

Picked
08-30-2012, 04:14 PM
I see what your saying Swish. Makes a lot of sense. I'm happy with the way the server is now, and wouldn't want to get to a point where I rely on boxing. It's stressful. I play to enjoy the game. But I will stand by what I said earlier about playing on live and getting groups mostly with boxed tank/cleric. I would say that at least half the groups I was in had a boxed character for either group essentials or even just buffs outside the group.

Servellious
08-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Not sure why people bitch about power leveling, make some friends and get a group going. My friends and I take turns power leveling each, scratch each others back in a sense

Orruar
08-30-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't see much sense in any of what you're posting funnily. You're acting as if boxing would be healthy for the server... while those that don't box have to put up with either soloing or converting to boxing. What's one of live's downfalls for a lot of people? Mercs, I hated the mercs and the anti-social playstyles that developed because of them. I'd say it killed the community spirit of the servers in fact.

If you didn't understand the argument I was making, just say so. No need to try and refute the argument with irrelevant counterarguments. You still don't seem to understand, so I'll try to rephrase it. What I'm saying is that the 2 boxers (who don't group) you see running around on servers that allow it are likely the same people who solo on P99. Some people like being self sufficient. Allowing 2 boxing doesn't suddenly turn someone who likes to group and interact with people into someone who likes to do things on their own.

It wasn't until Kunark that 2-boxing really started to take off. I noticed the difference immediately, token tank running through a zone with cleric on auto-follow. All very handy for a group situation, except tells weren't replied to and the guy pulling the strings wanted to solo. Sure, play your way... but bear in mind a bunch of other classes would have loved to have joined in rather than struggle.

Again, does it really bother someone more to see a 2 boxer grinding xp and not allowing them to join vs. a soloer grinding xp and not allowing them to join? I'd think not, as the result is the same.

The server has worked quite well, in that if there's a shortage of a class there tends to be a shift towards people starting alts? Tanks, clerics, the works. Less LFG time is always a bonus right? Except we all know that a tank and cleric is fairly slow going without any dps...so people will group. That's what the old era was about, grouping. That's what people arguably come to this server to do... meet people, group up, make friends and enjoy the experience over again.

That's your experience. I've not had good luck in finding decent groups back when I was grinding to 60. Too many times they'd want the shaman to handle buffs, slows, and heals since they couldn't find an enc or cleric. A boxed enc just for buffs would have been amazing in those situations, and probably would have held some groups together when instead they broke apart.

Allow boxing, and everyone turns anti-social, class options are no longer realistic options unless you too are boxing. You pretend like mass boxing will still result in a healthy proportion of all classes being played.

This is just plain bizarre. People don't change who they are based on how many everquest characters they play. If they like grouping, they'll probably continue to group whether they're playing 1 or 2 characters. And it's not like on a boxing server, suddenly have 90% of the population being monks and shaman.

I'd argue the opposite. Most newcomers who are playing solo (ie, not with the "wife", "brother" etc) will not head to a boxing server... because there's not much chance of levelling along with a boxer unless they know him/her already. Therefore your pool of boxing potential players is limited to those who are here already, and many of those (though not all) won't want to start at Day 0 and level characters from the beginning without twinked gear.

If I was playing solo, I'd certainly go to a boxing server over a non boxing server. It allows you to enjoy more of the content. What makes you think boxers don't ever group together? Back on live, very early I met another person who boxed a war/enc and I boxed a war/cler. Not the most efficient group, but we grouped together. And what exactly is your argument regarding twinked gear here? That whole last sentence is rather incoherent.

Orruar
08-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I see what your saying Swish. Makes a lot of sense. I'm happy with the way the server is now, and wouldn't want to get to a point where I rely on boxing. It's stressful. I play to enjoy the game. But I will stand by what I said earlier about playing on live and getting groups mostly with boxed tank/cleric. I would say that at least half the groups I was in had a boxed character for either group essentials or even just buffs outside the group.

If you find boxing stressful, then you don't have to. I don't think anyone is for a rule where everyone must box. And certainly it's not as if you are penalized for not boxing. In fact, you benefit from that. As you said, half the groups you got on live was with a boxed tank/cleric, which was very common. I suspect we'd have a lot more groups here if boxing was allowed.

Picked
08-30-2012, 05:05 PM
If you find boxing stressful, then you don't have to. I don't think anyone is for a rule where everyone must box. And certainly it's not as if you are penalized for not boxing. In fact, you benefit from that. As you said, half the groups you got on live was with a boxed tank/cleric, which was very common. I suspect we'd have a lot more groups here if boxing was allowed.

Ya I'm not sure if I would even box if it was allowed. I just see merit in both sides of this debate is all. There is pros and cons on each end of the spectrum. I wouldn't care either way if they kept it the same or allowed boxing honestly. Just adding my 2cp in on the conversation. I just know from experience that on live a lot of my groups later on in expansions were a direct result of someone boxing something heh

Nikon
08-30-2012, 05:12 PM
How would you propose a 'no power leveling law' be enforced? As far as I can tell, the people in charge barely have enough time to work on important stuff such as content. Why would they want to waste time babysitting more than they already do?

And LOL @
OP Summary :
I have no friends to pl me

Savok
08-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Nothing against PL here so long as they are not monopolizing the zone. This is coming from someone's main who was made Nov 18 2010 and is only level 44.

Kratzy
08-30-2012, 10:22 PM
I don't like power-leveling because I don't like to group with someone who doesn't know how to play their class. Just because we need a healer and you PL'd a cleric to 50, doesn't mean you are going to know how to properly utilize your character in a group. Which adds nothing of value to the server, except you now have a character that is high level that has high cost gear and is in my experience completely unhelpful.

I don't appreciate PLing while anonymous, since I can't even /who the zone and make an appropriate choice. Because if I can see that there are high levels in the zone I want to hunt in with like a lvl 12 or 20, I would save myself the time and frustration and not even attempt to travel to that zone.

I hate the anti-social aspect of not having the balls to call your camp when someone asks for a Camp Check. If your there powerleveling, and you see nothing wrong with it, call it! Don't make me travel to the camp only to see you repeatedly sitting there getting hit while your lowbie pokes it in the back....

I have had more experiences ruined on here by 2 people in a PL agreement than I could even record.

Also, I see the market developing, someone powerlevels a character, sells that character, only to power level another character and sell the character..... Possibly stopping account sales/trades would curb the rampant powerleveling going on around the server. Be it friends or pay per level.

Nothing stops run-by buffing or healing a minute, or breaking a camp. But FD the aggro, sit and let the DS do the work repeatedly, these are the tactics that make me sick..... Thats what I need, a rogue with no defense skill, or a enchanter without dodge or mezz experiences. That makes the server great right?

If you hate me for my thoughts, feel free to /ignore me in game, same name. Would save me the trouble of dealing with you, or selling you something at a decent price.

Cippofra
08-31-2012, 04:53 AM
Who cares if someone who is already end game wants to powerlevel. Fix the pathing, fix the bugs. Dont rain on someone elses parade just because theyve already done the hard work and see no reason to repeat

bakkily
08-31-2012, 05:19 AM
well i started up again since some rl friends wanted to play and family, my pops started up two weeks ago and is lvl 14,though he did most of the lvling himself, the last 4 lvls ive pl'd him in in cb and most of the time i always told him if peeps want to group let em group, doesnt matter you'll all get the same xp, but with that in mind, i never want to rip someone else off from a experiance i'm here for as well as others, but also most people pay for power leveling, when that happens, i figure shit im outta luck to xp here if on alts

Hollywood
08-31-2012, 07:37 AM

First thing to consider is that with the population numbers and the amount or percentage of new players that show up every few months, anything we say about this subject is not a direct correlation to Live (which we're basing our argument from)

Someone mentioned that to Power Level is inherently wrong to EverQuest due to it being about community (grouping, coordinating etc). However under that premise, Power levels are as equally as wrong to EverQuest as twinking.

Though while people still oppose twinking, it was and is a very ingrained part of the classic experience. Putting aside over the top twinking, the idea of not having that awful Bind on Equip feature that modern MMOs do, is part of EQ's charm. Being able to use, reuse, and hand me down items is a massive influence on play enjoyment, convenience and the market.

Power level does not entirely eradicate the need for grouping - in that most power level is not a professional thing from level 1 to 60. Additionally there's plenty of things you cannot do with just two or three people.

What it does do, is allow you to skip over the unnecessary leveling on another character. It also gives people a chance to catch up with one another - which becomes a problem when one person can't always get groups and another does.

Agreed that multi boxing should not be such a taboo. One guy with two accounts at the same time is not going to be a complete group within himself, he's not going to be doing any epic mobs in Sky and he won't screw up the economy by having control over camps.

They should allow up to one extra account per connection, though you still have to register it with them first.

The real problem on the server is multi questing. We'd be in such a better place if that was taken away.

KentalCowtipper
08-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Wow.. are people really this anal retentive about PLing? Really?

Once in a blue moon (when I have a ton of RL time - which is damn near never) I sell some PL hours for plat and promptly end up giving away most of that - hell what do I need to buy except gate potions anymore? Whoever said if you're going to PL take them to a less populated zone - you're right on the money. Not only do you have more mobs to pull for the PL (if you're a halfway decent PL'er you should be clearing most zones that are sub 40) most importantly you won't piss off innocent XP groups!

That being said the vast majority of my PLing falls under 2 categories - guildies/friends and random people I picked out for various reasons - boredom, they are nice/funny, I'm in a good mood, I need their services in trade etc.

A good example is yesterday when I logged into OT at around 5pm. I wanted to get over to WC but my cap needed recharged (fail!). Being a monk I carry exactly 0 platinum. Thats our life. So I check my bags and lo and behold not a single gem to be found to donate for a port. Since I'd rather ride a boat for 20 minutes than ask a non guildie to spend mana and zone twice without donating to them I now have 2 options. I can either take the damn OT boat or offer to trade some PL time for a port.

So yeah.. ask Posey and his rogue friend (sorry man I forget your name) - the guy I sent a random tell to in OT yesterday - if PLing is bad or ruining his game. Just an average 30 druid who was leveling with his rog friend. 35 mins later he's now 32. His friend gained a level and a half too.
I got ported.
Everyone is happy.

I could have wasted my time taking the boat - benefiting no one one. Instead I decided to get creative and trade my services in the form of time and what my class is capable of doing for a port. Who the hell are you to be able to tell me I can't do that?

Will you next tell the porters they can't trade ports for c2?

Flippie Floppie the Master - 60 TMO Monk

Fethi
08-31-2012, 07:53 AM
the argument for boxing being good for the server is downright idiotic, if boxing were allowed the following will happen:

1) Everyone will level a cleric and druid and for the rest of the servers duration will have instant pocket reses and ports, never have to start a low level without high level buffs again!

2) Phinny, djarn, emp, etc (any hard encounter that requires group) will be perma camped by 1 person

3) due to #2 economy will suffer dramatically

theres much more problems, and just use your brain and you can think of more ways boxing is a horrible idea

(obviously just commenting on the people who are asking for boxing)

KentalCowtipper
08-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Agreed that multi boxing should not be such a taboo. One guy with two accounts at the same time is not going to be a complete group within himself, he's not going to be doing any epic mobs in Sky and he won't screw up the economy by having control over camps.

Holy after making my post I just read yours and I have to STRONGLY disagree man. If they allow two boxing the server is over. At least the server economy is over.

Every halfway good platinum generating camp can now officially be Duo'd.

If you don't believe me check out the solo artists challenge where people have already duo'd such mobs as the Sebelite Protector - hits for 451 and can wipe out a small raid of 2-3 groups if things go bad.

Fungi king would be farmed 24/7 by someone boxing. So would crypt. So would HS South, East, West - hell probably even North.

Good luck finding somewhere to group or people motivated to group with when damn near every decent camp is taken by a person boxing.
Also have fun with your ruined economy when there is a massive influx of farmed items into the market to the point a heiro cloak is sitting at 5k and a fungi at 15k.

Thulack
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
the argument for boxing being good for the server is downright idiotic, if boxing were allowed the following will happen:

1) Everyone will level a cleric and druid and for the rest of the servers duration will have instant pocket reses and ports, never have to start a low level without high level buffs again! Like everyone doesnt have a pocket cleric or druid already?

2) Phinny, djarn, emp, etc (any hard encounter that requires group) will be perma camped by 1 personas opposed it being camped by the same 2 or 3 people?

theres much more problems, and just use your brain and you can think of more ways boxing is a horrible idea

Ele
08-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Fethi

1) Everyone will level a cleric and druid and for the rest of the servers duration will have instant pocket reses and ports, never have to start a low level without high level buffs again! Like everyone doesnt have a pocket cleric or druid already?

2) Phinny, djarn, emp, etc (any hard encounter that requires group) will be perma camped by 1 personas opposed it being camped by the same 2 or 3 people?

A person can not rez himself, he has to have someone log in his other character. A single person can not port himself, he has to have someone log in his other character.
A camp claimed by 2-3 people requires more concentration from everyone rather than one person doing it as he pleases.

Vicatin
08-31-2012, 10:17 AM
A person can not rez himself, he has to have someone log in his other character. A single person can not port himself, he has to have someone log in his other character.
A camp claimed by 2-3 people requires more concentration from everyone rather than one person doing it as he pleases.

*facepalm*

Fethi
08-31-2012, 10:38 AM
too lazy to quote the idiot who said

"LIKE EVERYONE DOESNT HAVE A POCKET DRUID OR CLERIC ALREADY?" as some kind of reasoning for destroying this server and classic eq with boxing

The answer is: No, you idiot, everyone does not have a pocket druid to port yourself or cleric to res yourself unless your boxing already.

Also, ive been to the aforementioned camps thousands of times on the server and no, they are not perma camped by 2-3 people, lol (even if they are, than what does it have anything to do with this argument?) but they will be perma camped by 1 person if boxing was allowed (hence why its not)

Your cries at making EQ easier and removing the need for any social interaction and disabling classic everquest will not work, go play wow you loser

Tecmos Deception
08-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Before I say anything else, I love that there is no (legal) boxing on the server, and we can all rest assured that there never well be.

That said, why in the world do you people keep yapping about how big-ticket camps being on lockdown by boxers would be "bad for the economy"? What is going to be bad about it? Hiero cloaks and fungis and GEBs and fingerbone hoops will all cost 1/4 of what they do right now. There isn't going to be a huge influx of PP. There isn't going to be a huge reduction of PP. There will just be more of those kinds of items available. The only people who get screwed when those items get cheap are the people who are currently farming those items to sell for PP.

KentalCowtipper
08-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Before I say anything else, I love that there is no (legal) boxing on the server, and we can all rest assured that there never well be.

That said, why in the world do you people keep yapping about how big-ticket camps being on lockdown by boxers would be "bad for the economy"? What is going to be bad about it? Hiero cloaks and fungis and GEBs and fingerbone hoops will all cost 1/4 of what they do right now. There isn't going to be a huge influx of PP. There isn't going to be a huge reduction of PP. There will just be more of those kinds of items available. The only people who get screwed when those items get cheap are the people who are currently farming those items to sell for PP.

Good luck finding somewhere to group or people motivated to group with when damn near every decent camp is taken by a person boxing and farming that shit 24/7.

aegeryen
08-31-2012, 11:34 AM
PLing is fine just dont be a douche, 2-boxxing is retarded and will never be allowed on this server

dead horse is dead

this

Tarathiel
08-31-2012, 11:49 AM
if boxing were allowed the big guilds would just 2 box their trackers... need i say more?

Swish
08-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Chudleys Dog Food Online
www.dodsonandhorrellpetfood.co.uk
Quality Nutrition For Working & Pet Dogs - Free Delivery Over £40

Loving these banner ads lately, they seem to know a dog's dinner of a thread when they see it.

Safe to say the majority don't want 2-boxing and I hope that lasts for Velious and Luclin as well ;)

Thulack
08-31-2012, 01:26 PM
too lazy to quote the idiot who said

"LIKE EVERYONE DOESNT HAVE A POCKET DRUID OR CLERIC ALREADY?" as some kind of reasoning for destroying this server and classic eq with boxing

The answer is: No, you idiot, everyone does not have a pocket druid to port yourself or cleric to res yourself unless your boxing already.

Also, ive been to the aforementioned camps thousands of times on the server and no, they are not perma camped by 2-3 people, lol (even if they are, than what does it have anything to do with this argument?) but they will be perma camped by 1 person if boxing was allowed (hence why its not)

Your cries at making EQ easier and removing the need for any social interaction and disabling classic everquest will not work, go play wow you loser

Nah wow sucks thanks though. I still do play live Eq and 4box there. It's nice never having to look for a cleric or a tank or a puller or dps. Being able to go camp what i want when i want is nice and i like that feature. i also invite people to join me all the time when i box. Boxing being bad has to do with the selfcentered asses behind the computer not with the ability to control 2+ characters at once.

Metallikus
08-31-2012, 01:35 PM
being allowed to sell and buy accounts is what is actually the bigger problem here.

Thulack
08-31-2012, 01:43 PM
being allowed to sell and buy accounts is what is actually the bigger problem here.

Yeah this doesn't help anything. Any people are in denial if they don't think people box here. It's not hard to tether a cell phone to a 10 year old laptop and load up EQ on it. Being able to just buy a toon for the cost of 1 item that you camped gives all to much incentive to just box.

Ravager
08-31-2012, 02:22 PM

+1

Arclanz
08-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Who/what did you check? Lol.

Druids? Strong PL, especially for lower levels.
Clerics? As strong or stronger than druids depending on gear.
Monks? Great for melees.
Shadowknights? Good for melees.
Necromancers? Great for anyone, even at 55+.
Magicians? Great for melees.
Shamans? Great for melees.

Clerics, SKs, Necros, Shamans, Bards are good at powerleveling others? ROFL. If the powerleveler cannot cast a DS they suck at it, comparatively. Oh wait someone mentioned FD wipes aggro here so maybe monk/necro/bard might be ok on this non-classic server.

another LOL at folks suggesting I would want a PL. First, I haven't done P99 since 2010. Second, PL is such a waste of time that no one did it on Live. Let's sit somewhere for days with no risk of danger and no chance of treasure. Then you have the satisfaction of playing a character that means nothing to you since you put nothing into it. Ya that sounds like lots of fun.

Good luck finding somewhere to group or people motivated to group with when damn near every decent camp is taken by a person boxing and farming that shit 24/7.

This is almost irrelevant since, as another poster mentioned, any worthwhile camp is already being coveted by a solo lvl 60 necro/mage/whatever.

azeth
08-31-2012, 04:51 PM
another LOL at folks suggesting I would want a PL. First, I haven't done P99 since 2010. Second, PL is such a waste of time that no one did it on Live. Let's sit somewhere for days with no risk of danger and no chance of treasure..

Yea, I'd much rather look for parrot groups in SK than breeze 1-50 on my twink and start raiding with my friends.

Come on man.. power leveling has been a major part of EQ since the moment someone created an alt after hitting max level.

To be honest, how can this thread dribble on about power leveling without going full-retard and identifying that twinking is just as bad. Do you even need to power level with dragon loot? Let's not even start talking about Velious loot... legit could do 1-50 in a weekend on a monk with a couple SoDs, fungi, and haste.

Pan
08-31-2012, 06:31 PM
To the person who made the argument about the PL-ee not knowing how to play the class....

That argument flew on live a little. Probably not so much here. I'd be willing to bet that most of us have played more than one class in the end game. We probably all understand the basic mechanics and class roles better than we did at this point on live.

As someone who played a ranger as a main from release until L75, I'm not sure what I'd learn exactly going through it all again on a ranger untwinked and un PL-ec. What's the point, again? Further, were I to blast a druid to 39 and port you or a cleric to 50 and clicky-rez you, would you criticize me for not being able to play my class well?

That said (as someone who powerlevels other a good bit), I agree with the "don't be a dick and monopolize mobs" when there are exp. groups around" sentiment.

In fact, I encourage the "don't be a dick" sentiment generally. That would take care of 98% of the problems on the server.

Kevynne
08-31-2012, 06:43 PM
PL is importatnt to economy; and there are plenty of camps in norrath

Tarathiel
08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
and there are plenty of camps in norrath

this is one thing that has always struck me as odd with this server, it seems like everyone sticks to a hand full of zones. im so sick of the oasis, mm, ot, kc, seb/hs route but it seems like if you dont try to xp in one of those zones good luck finding a group unless you form it yourself. and good luck finding people willing to xp in places like cazic-thule, runnyeye, splitpaw or pretty much any of the lower end kunark dungeons.

Arrisard
08-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Clerics, SKs, Necros, Shamans, Bards are good at powerleveling others? ROFL. If the powerleveler cannot cast a DS they suck at it, comparatively. Oh wait someone mentioned FD wipes aggro here so maybe monk/necro/bard might be ok on this non-classic server.

another LOL at folks suggesting I would want a PL. First, I haven't done P99 since 2010. Second, PL is such a waste of time that no one did it on Live. Let's sit somewhere for days with no risk of danger and no chance of treasure. Then you have the satisfaction of playing a character that means nothing to you since you put nothing into it. Ya that sounds like lots of fun.

This is almost irrelevant since, as another poster mentioned, any worthwhile camp is already being coveted by a solo lvl 60 necro/mage/whatever.

EDIT: I thought about it, and calling OP an idiot probably wasn't totally fair. So it's either ignorance or trolling, not stupidity or trolling. Sorry.

Strifer
09-01-2012, 06:58 AM

This is so much fun to watch debates about topics that will never have policies changed regardless. lolzies gb2 wall street and occupy things

http://i.imgur.com/k6v2i.gif

Furniture
09-01-2012, 08:17 AM

I agree 100%, but this is not something that can be controlled no matter what unless they bind each login account to an IP which may end up being a bigger hassle for the staff when people change ip's and stuff like that making it not worthwhile

filthyphil
09-01-2012, 06:10 PM
So I'm in oasis today doing spectres for the first time at lvl 38. About an hour in a lvl 58 necromancer shows up with a level 1 enchanter. He tells me that he will be taking some of these... I'm only able to do two at a time and maintain my mana at the time so I said fine, leave me the 2 on this side so I can fear kite them. All is well for about 30 minutes, but now the enchanter is lvl 15 and apparently he needs more exp because the lvl 58 started pulling my only 2 mobs out of the 8 or so in the camp. I just left because there was nothing I could do about it.

Hours later after running to high keep and doing it for a while I /w all oasis and see he is gone. I return to the zone and notice a cleric camping the spot. I observe that he is only able to do 1 spectre and decide to summon my pet and work around him. 30 minutes go by and guess shows up with another new character? The same necro. The cleric tells him that the spectres are camped & the necro replies "it doesn't look like it to me" and begins to pull. The cleric has to threaten to report him before he will leave.

Me & the cleric begin to talk and he tells me the same necro came & took the spawn from them the previous night, for power leveling. I don't think that power leveling should be considered an offense, but aggressively seizing camps from low level players for the purpose of power leveling should be.

gloine36
09-01-2012, 06:32 PM
As the Cleric the OP mentioned I would like to second what the OP said. The 58 necro is not being very polite and is really a douche about camp stealing.

Fryhole
09-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Not seeing the point in giving the low level a mob like a spec - is the exp bugged and not capping?

Kratzy
09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah, apparently there is no cap. I was always told a red is a red. Be it 10 levels above or 25 it was the same amount of "red" experience. But that doesn't appear to be how it works here.

arcanebrain
09-01-2012, 10:59 PM
So it appears to me that the problem isn't power-leveling but douchebaggery.

Heavydrop
09-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm of two minds about power leveling, but I will say this...
If you're going to do it at least have the decency to go somewhere people
aren't trying to group or solo grind up some exp.
Few things are really as annoying as trying to level up in, say Mistmoore
and having some nut pulling mobs right over the top of you or mobs that you
and your group need to level and causing a frakking mess.
Have some, whatever you want to call it, and go somewhere else

Tecmos Deception
09-02-2012, 12:41 AM

I'm trying to be nice here... but it's hard.

Shaman DS pots give as good of a DS as a druid or mage could cast and are are usable by a cleric, who then PLs in the same manner as a druid. A cleric with high-end gear becomes better than a druid because while a druid has a fungi and regrowth and a manastone, the cleric has a fungi and a donals breastplate and a manstone and more armor and better hp buffs and non-damaging root.

Necros can get xp for the powerlevelee by dotting up a mob and letting the PLee hit it for 1+ damage and then feigning. The dots finish off the mob and the PLee gets the xp, since he hit it. SK can work the same way but with melee + crappy dots.

Shamans can buff the hell out of a melee and then feed them slowed, rooted mobs nonstop thanks to canni and regen and whatnot. You aren't going to PL a level 5 on level 30 mobs with a sham PL like you could do with a druid or cleric or necro, but a 60 sham is a GREAT PL for twinked melee once they're a bit higher and killing swarms of yellowish cons.

Bards can PL PBAOE classes by using AE slow songs and stuff like that to keep aggro while the wizard/bard/whatever kills off this huge pull with PBAOE. Works basically to 60, too, if you really know what you're doing and you're PLing another bard!

Like I said. Some noobs *cough*, I mean people, just think druids are the only and the best PL because they got druid buffs at the tunnel in EC and loved how well they worked at killing pumas and rattlesnakes, so then they didn't bother to think about how other classes with different abilities could accomplish PL in their own way.

Tecmos Deception
09-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Also, I get the feeling that quite a few people in this thread think that just because they say in ooc that certain mobs are "camped," that means that those mobs are off limits to everyone else because of some "I was here and I can use /ooc so therefore I win" mentality.

There are 7 (or 8?) spectres in oasis, on like 6ish minute respawns. If there is a 40-ish necro or cleric or something there, he is only probably killing 2-3 of those 8 spawns per cycle. You don't get to have spectre island as your camp. You could claim, say, the 2 southern spectres, so long as you engage them right after they spawn. But if you afk for a few minutes and one of them has been sitting there and someone else pulls it? They didn't steal your mob. You gave up your mob.

Is it pretty lame if a PLer starts pulling mobs that he knows you've been killing just because you're a minute slow on a pull? Yeah, pretty much. Is anything going to come of you being mad on the forums because something less than the entire population of p99 follows the code of etiquette that you think they should? Of course not.

Buck up and pull faster, or you're going to have an emotional breakdown when you get to KC.

Splorf22
09-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Enchanters (blur/break charm) and mages (reclaim pet) can also PL. Paladins can tank, Rangers can be crappy druids, and SKs can fight/FD.

I would say the only classes that can't really PL are Rogues, Warriors, and Wizards.

filthyphil
09-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Also, I get the feeling that quite a few people in this thread think that just because they say in ooc that certain mobs are "camped," that means that those mobs are off limits to everyone else because of some "I was here and I can use /ooc so therefore I win" mentality.

There are 7 (or 8?) spectres in oasis, on like 6ish minute respawns. If there is a 40-ish necro or cleric or something there, he is only probably killing 2-3 of those 8 spawns per cycle. You don't get to have spectre island as your camp. You could claim, say, the 2 southern spectres, so long as you engage them right after they spawn. But if you afk for a few minutes and one of them has been sitting there and someone else pulls it? They didn't steal your mob. You gave up your mob.

Is it pretty lame if a PLer starts pulling mobs that he knows you've been killing just because you're a minute slow on a pull? Yeah, pretty much. Is anything going to come of you being mad on the forums because something less than the entire population of p99 follows the code of etiquette that you think they should? Of course not.

Buck up and pull faster, or you're going to have an emotional breakdown when you get to KC.

You obviously didn't read my post. We agreed that 2 of the mobs spawning where to be mine, and he could have the other 2 on the ground, 5 in the tower. He then commenced to pull my only two mobs in the camp that I had been there doing for 2 hours before he arrived. I wasn't afk, I wasn't sitting there, He seen me approaching the mob and lifetapped its aggro on to him.

And since you obviously think this guy was free of any wrong-doing let me inform you that 30 or so minutes after posting, he attempted to train Cazel onto the spectre camp.

Fryhole
09-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah, apparently there is no cap. I was always told a red is a red. Be it 10 levels above or 25 it was the same amount of "red" experience. But that doesn't appear to be how it works here.

As a Druid on live with lower lvl friends I can say with certainty there was an Exp cap on reds. (unless it was mob specific or something weird)
I know this server has the "prove it or shut it" mentality but I'm surprised this isn't a well known fact since boxing was allowed on live. Maybe this is why we don't see XP bonuses anymore.

gloine36
09-02-2012, 07:54 PM
In this case the were plenty of specs for more than the two campers. Unfortunately, the individual camp stealer in question was unable to take the three specs at the top of the tower the previous night so that he could PL somebody. (58 necro...go figure). So the next day he showed up and just started to take any spawn he wanted so he could start advertising his PL services. I call that camp stealing. Had he asked we would have been happy to point out we had four specs we were not even capable to taking down, but apparently he was too lazy to take the tower specs.
Problem seemed to be resolved for a few hours and then he returned and attempted to run Cazel onto us but failed.
There is a problem here obviously.

Tecmos Deception
09-02-2012, 09:45 PM
You obviously didn't read my post. We agreed that 2 of the mobs spawning where to be mine, and he could have the other 2 on the ground, 5 in the tower. He then commenced to pull my only two mobs in the camp that I had been there doing for 2 hours before he arrived. I wasn't afk, I wasn't sitting there, He seen me approaching the mob and lifetapped its aggro on to him.

And since you obviously think this guy was free of any wrong-doing let me inform you that 30 or so minutes after posting, he attempted to train Cazel onto the spectre camp.

I read your post. Apparently YOU haven't read the definition of camping as it applies on p99.

From the "Camps, Defined" thread in the forum's Library section: "Outdoor mobs on fast respawn such as HG and spectres, if you cannot engage immediately you do not hold the camp."

You basically needed to aggro "your" spectres before anyone else had a chance to in order for them to be yours.

Like I said, the guy didn't exactly sound like he was playing nice. But he also wasn't breaking any rules.

Him training Cazel is irrelevant to this discussion.

gloine36
09-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Well Tecmos you weren't there so obviously you don't understand the details of the situation. He did break the rules and that's it. You're ignoring the part about selling PLing services and being a dickhead in the process which is part of what ruined Live.
The idea here is that there were plenty of specs but this guy chose to be a douche. He got called on it. If you want to support douche behavior, then go right ahead. I'll call it as it is.

filthyphil
09-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Lmao Tecmos why are you so intent on debunking this? And you ARE NOT READING, or you would have seen where I wrote he agreed to the to the allowance of the two mobs to myself before deciding to completely take the camp over. & you are looking at this from the stand point of he was another group of like level players or even a solo competitor for the spawn. The guy is lvl 58, at a camp of lvl 34 mobs. How do I out aggro that? He showed up after the fact, & forced me out in order to power level someone too lazy to level their own toon.

Tecmos Deception
09-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Lol.

This thread is just full of a couple people complaining about PL and "this is what ruined live! raise your pitchforks!" and accusations of rulebreaking without anyone actually showing that a rule was even broken.

So what if the guy was an ass? Lots of people are asses, but there is certainly no rule against that.

Toodles
09-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Holy after making my post I just read yours and I have to STRONGLY disagree man. If they allow two boxing the server is over. At least the server economy is over.

Every halfway good platinum generating camp can now officially be Duo'd.

If you don't believe me check out the solo artists challenge where people have already duo'd such mobs as the Sebelite Protector - hits for 451 and can wipe out a small raid of 2-3 groups if things go bad.

Fungi king would be farmed 24/7 by someone boxing. So would crypt. So would HS South, East, West - hell probably even North.

Good luck finding somewhere to group or people motivated to group with when damn near every decent camp is taken by a person boxing.
Also have fun with your ruined economy when there is a massive influx of farmed items into the market to the point a heiro cloak is sitting at 5k and a fungi at 15k.

So hanging out with another person you know, whom also has super awesome level 60 and camps Crypt with you, is different than you camping it as a duo by yourself?

The boxing then isn't the problem, the root issue is that the camps are doable by only two people.

If you're making the argument that boxing makes the process easier, then that's equally as weak because one person trying to play two characters in a situation that's difficult, is NOT as easy as doing it with someone else.

As for the economy, what's wrong with lower prices? A Fungi at 15k? Awesome, and good for them. It means that eventually people will STOP camping it, because it's not worth their time, which means there won't be any people interfering in innocent XP groups' camps. And 15k isn't that easy to come by, unless you have gifts from friends. So even at 15k, a Fungi would still elude most players until level 30 or 40+ meaning they aren't having too easy of a time ( Fungi is not that super, it's still easy to die. If the mob was going to kick your ass before without a Fungi, it'll still kick your ass with one).

Having said that, again this is not because of boxing, it's because of greed and imbalance in the game.

Face it, the majority of people whom would box, do it only to res/port themselves and their friends - it's purely about convenience.

Arclanz
09-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Um Wow. FD wipes aggro and you have a level 1 enchanter getting xp off a level 40ish spectre? ROFL not classic. P99 promulgates itself as a EQ 1999 experience, but it is far from that; and should stop misrepresenting itself because you are wasting peoples' time.

Snagglepuss
09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
The OP comments about 15k Fungi's reminds me of some political pundit 15 years ago saying, "Cheaper goods are better! Why pay more for things when they can be made cheaper over seas!?" Someone who can box and produce more unique items cheaper must be more efficient for our p1999 economy, right?

...except that efficiency is what polarizes game wealth.

Tecmos Deception
09-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Um Wow. FD wipes aggro and you have a level 1 enchanter getting xp off a level 40ish spectre? ROFL not classic. P99 promulgates itself as a EQ 1999 experience, but it is far from that; and should stop misrepresenting itself because you are wasting peoples' time.

GTFO then.

BigSlip
09-05-2012, 04:58 PM

exactly how is this non classic?

fd wiped aggro on live too ya know.

Arclanz
09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm trying to be nice here... but it's hard.

Very difficult for you, apparently.

Well my point, BigSlip, is that leveling a new character on level 40ish mobs is not classic.

Shinko
09-05-2012, 05:43 PM
TO RNF! WE GO

Tecmos Deception
09-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Very difficult for you, apparently.

Well my point, BigSlip, is that leveling a new character on level 40ish mobs is not classic.

Are you saying that a level 40 (actually specs are like 33-37) mob wouldn't give xp to a level 1? Also, I find it pretty unlikely that there was actually a level 1 enchanter at specs. I was actually /anon and being PLed by a 58 necro on my enchanter at specs about the time this thread popped up, but I was like 16 at the time, not 1. And I still died once :)

Where was I? Oh. Right. Are you saying a 1 wouldn't get xp from high-level mobs, or that there was a cap on the amount of xp earned from a single kill? Not like it really matters, because by the time a character got to the upper teens, a single spectre wouldn't be giving more than like 15-20% per kill anyway... which is probably under whatever the cap was.

And yes, it is hard for me to be nice to you. You think no one can PL but druids, you complain about twinks and PL and server resets and MQing, you keep making the stupidest threads imaginable... yeah.

filthyphil
09-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I don't know why it matters, but he was certainly level 1. He was holding a dagger with nothing on so I /whod him. & he died 2 or 3 times before I left.

Alawen
09-05-2012, 11:36 PM
I've been powerleveling people since 2000. There was a cap on experience from mobs. It was about half a yellow per kill.

Lagaidh
09-06-2012, 10:09 AM

"People" is already a plural noun so the possessive form would be "people's".

/nerd

fadetree
09-06-2012, 01:30 PM
inb4 'omgwtfgrammarnazibbq'

kaev
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM

There's an entire wonderland of irony in the accusation "you are wasting peoples' time" coming from the fellow who's posting that the river ought to reverse course and run uphill.