PDA

View Full Version : question about camps

Tostido
09-01-2012, 03:33 PM
say im camping something and I run out of peridots for my damage shield. If i port over to buy some then gate back within a minute or two can someone take the camp from me while im gone during those two minutes?

Hailto
09-01-2012, 03:39 PM
I would say so, yes.

Nordenwatch
09-01-2012, 03:42 PM
yep, just get someone to hold it

Striiker
09-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Yes, once you leave a camp for any reason, it's up for grabs. This is why people can't monopolize an entire zone with multiple named camps. If you are doing a rotation for example and come back to a camp and someone is there, they can claim it.

I always try to use the "don't be an asshole" view on things. If I was camping a bunch of spawns and someone wanted to come in and share them, I'm all for it. If someone had wiped, I don't take their camp. I've been in their situations and had camps taken from me. It sucks and kills the fun.

So, if you leave to get more peridots or whatever and come back and someone took your camp. Talk nicely with them and explain the situation. Odds are they will not yield the camp (because they may not believe you). Sometimes the person will move on (but not often). If they don't yield the camp, just move on. It's not worth getting upset over or holding a grudge against them.

Sirken
09-01-2012, 06:12 PM
well said Striiker.

i have nothing to add ;)

gloine36
09-01-2012, 06:29 PM
We have a problem with one player trying to steal camps for power leveling purposes. He then claims that he didn't see the campers. Twice in the last 24 hours this has happened.

Sirken
09-01-2012, 06:45 PM
We have a problem with one player trying to steal camps for power leveling purposes. He then claims that he didn't see the campers. Twice in the last 24 hours this has happened.

can easily prove this with logs (whether or not u were there)

/tell me in game, or PM me here if u wanna discuss this issue further.

gloine36
09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
PM has been sent.

Tecmos Deception
09-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Nm, just nm.

arcanebrain
09-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Everything that needed to be said was said. If you leave a camp, it's open.

Slave
09-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Yes, once you leave a camp for any reason, it's up for grabs. This is why people can't monopolize an entire zone with multiple named camps. If you are doing a rotation for example and come back to a camp and someone is there, they can claim it.

Everything that needed to be said was said. If you leave a camp, it's open.

Technically you are both incorrect. The rules state that if someone is keeping camps cleared, the new party that wants a camp should first ask the clearer to choose which camp he wants specifically, and they can take something else. So, by the rules, you cannot simply take a camp that is currently cleared without asking the clearer if he minds giving up something he's camping. (If he then does not come to a fair accommodation with the other party, I believe the new party has fulfilled their obligation toward Play Nice policy and can then initiate FTE on the single camp they wish.)

"If you have no competition in the zone, you are more than welcome to hold as many as you like. The moment another party wants to claim a camp and you are "farming" multiple, you must decide which camp you want and forfeit the ones someone else is interested in. We still expect players to use the courtesy camp check before zerging a room. If there is a full spawn of mobs in a camp room up I think that would be considered not camped."

Manticmuse
09-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Technically you are both incorrect. The rules state that if someone is keeping camps cleared, the new party that wants a camp should first ask the clearer to choose which camp he wants specifically, and they can take something else. So, by the rules, you cannot simply take a camp that is currently cleared without asking the clearer if he minds giving up something he's camping. (If he then does not come to a fair accommodation with the other party, I believe the new party has fulfilled their obligation toward Play Nice policy and can then initiate FTE on the single camp they wish.)

"If you have no competition in the zone, you are more than welcome to hold as many as you like. The moment another party wants to claim a camp and you are "farming" multiple, you must decide which camp you want and forfeit the ones someone else is interested in. We still expect players to use the courtesy camp check before zerging a room. If there is a full spawn of mobs in a camp room up I think that would be considered not camped."

This is all well and good and how it should be, but if the person intruding on a camp does not ask for CC, and the original camper comes back to find him there waiting, whoever lands FTE will win the loot. A situation like this just happened and the GM ruled in favor of the intruder, despite attempts by the original camper to maintain claim on that camp and only that camp.

Tecmos Deception
09-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Where does it say that you must ask someone who is clearing multiple camps which one he wants? Also, you left out the sentence that comes right before what you quoted, which basically says that you cannot claim a camp as your own unless you at physically at that camp. There is even an example in the post you are quoting from that specifically says what you are describing is NOT the way it works: "*Example* You are doing Ghoul Magi, Lord, and Frenzy in lguk. Another group arrives to claim a camp. If they stumble upon a spawned room devoid of players, they can claim it. Where your group resides is your camp; choose wisely."

xarzzardorn
09-03-2012, 09:46 PM
hey seargant you should probably also take off anon if you're in the middle of a dump like droga. then people never come looking to 'steal' your camp in the first place

Slave
09-03-2012, 10:43 PM
*Example* You are doing Ghoul Magi, Lord, and Frenzy in lguk. Another group arrives to claim a camp. If they stumble upon a spawned room devoid of players, they can claim it. Where your group resides is your camp; choose wisely."

The operative word there is "spawned." Meaning, the mobs would have to be popped, and nobody in place to engage them. Nobody is disputing someone's right to kill a mob in those circumstances.

Arkanjil
09-04-2012, 02:47 AM
The operative word there is "spawned." Meaning, the mobs would have to be popped, and nobody in place to engage them. Nobody is disputing someone's right to kill a mob in those circumstances.

Man that's some hard core lawyer crap, looking at the rules with a fine tooth comb. Honestly, if you're in a place like Lguk as say, a lvl 60, and are farming a bunch of camps for loot, a group or another person has every right to come in and claim a specific camp. Just because people kill the rare PH or the room that has a few mobs in it, doesn't mean they can claim a bunch of rares.

If you aren't at a specific camp when someone or a group comes to it, you lose your camp. If you wanted it that bad you would have stayed put, going LD or what not aside.

TLDR - Don't play like an asshat and show respect to other people when you are trying to claim multiple camps.

Tecmos Deception
09-04-2012, 07:25 AM
<----- young lawyer

I think it really can be easily summed up with the "where your group resides is your camp" part of the quote. The word "spawned" was just used as part of the example, not as an indication that if you walk into a room with no mobs up, you can't claim that camp even if there is no one else there.

Slave
09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
If you aren't at a specific camp when someone or a group comes to it, you lose your camp. If you wanted it that bad you would have stayed put, going LD or what not aside.

<----- young lawyer

I think it really can be easily summed up with the "where your group resides is your camp" part of the quote. The word "spawned" was just used as part of the example, not as an indication that if you walk into a room with no mobs up, you can't claim that camp even if there is no one else there.

Again, for those who care about the actual rules of this server, and how they are implemented, the above two quotes are dead wrong. Server GMs have ruled by the "pick your camp once someone else comes in and they ask for one" for years. It is rather unambiguous and your wishful thinking has no place in the implementation of this clearly definitive ruleset which has served P99 well for years.

Tecmos Deception
09-04-2012, 02:06 PM
actual rules of this server

Link please?

Slave
09-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Server rules: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1057
Camps, defined: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2653

Appropriate quotation: (note that I already put this in my original post; everything you ever needed was there) "If you have no competition in the zone, you are more than welcome to hold as many as you like. The moment another party wants to claim a camp and you are "farming" multiple, you must decide which camp you want and forfeit the ones someone else is interested in. We still expect players to use the courtesy camp check before zerging a room. If there is a full spawn of mobs in a camp room up I think that would be considered not camped."

This means that the party that was keeping multiple camps cleared is the one that decides what camp they want (once someone asks them to share), and the newcomers get the supposedly lesser-desirable camp(s). Which is completely logical.

Manticmuse
09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Except if the newcomer doesn't ask CC and refuses to relocate to one of the other camps he can claim the mob and loot with FTE. GM reasoning was "if you left the camp for any reason you left it up for grabs." Quote whatever you want, this happened a week ago and the GM made the decision. So expect to have to remain at your camp or at the very least land FTE. It's not guaranteed to belong to the original camper, no matter what those rules say.

Slave
09-05-2012, 02:24 AM
If that room was cleared, and he didn't ask anyone for the next pop, and the owner was back in time for the spawn, he was stealing that guy's camp plain and simple.

Nobody's saying the GMs (or more likely a guide) are perfect. Next time try referring them to the rules specific to your situation; it can help sometimes.

Pan
09-05-2012, 07:21 AM
How about just the simple "don't be a dick" rule. If more people were semi-polite and followed that one, discussions like this one would be less frequent.

theaetatus
09-05-2012, 08:18 AM
How about just the simple "don't be a dick" rule. If more people were semi-polite and followed that one, discussions like this one would be less frequent.

This. If you arrive at a camp and it's taken, discuss it with the person who's there. If someone arrives at your camp and you're doing a few camps, work something out with them.

We were doing Frenzy camp last night and wiped when I pulled too much shit from the Lord room. A couple of PLers set up in the camp while we did our CR, we worked out a deal, everyone was happy.

Psionide
09-05-2012, 01:00 PM
What's so hard to understand about what Slave (and the rules he linked) is trying to say here?

Psionide
09-05-2012, 01:03 PM
the owner was back in time for the spawn, he was stealing that guy's camp plain and simple.

Can't tell you how many times I see players especially the newer players think that because they run into a empty CLEARED room with nobody in there at that exact second ( cuz there keeping there other camps cleared ) it's up for grabs when the camping player returns in time before the repop to someone saying it's no longer there rooms simply cuz they left the room.

Tecmos Deception
09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
If that room was cleared, and he didn't ask anyone for the next pop, and the owner was back in time for the spawn, he was stealing that guy's camp plain and simple.

Nobody's saying the GMs (or more likely a guide) are perfect. Next time try referring them to the rules specific to your situation; it can help sometimes.

So the "Camps, Defined" post specifically says that you cannot claim a camp by afking AT it and then returning to your keyboard before the spawn, but you CAN leave the camp and as long as you return before the spawns, the camp is still yours?

How do you not see that "Camps, Defined" is more like "Camps, Kind-of Sort-of Defined-ish"?

The "don't be a dick" rule is all well and good, unless one person doesn't follow it to the same extent as the other person. Who is being the dick? The guy who is trying to camp lord, magus, and frenzy at once, or the guy who is trying to take over frenzy when he shows up to a cleared frenzy room with no one at the spawn?

Tecmos Deception
09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
100 bucks says the GMs will enforce a "if you aren't physically at the camp, then anyone else who stumbles into that camp is free to claim it" because it is ridiculously simple to understand, follow, and enforce.

Manticmuse
09-05-2012, 01:19 PM
AFK camping is different from what you are suggesting Tecmos. AFK camping is when you AFK and have a pet kill mobs for you, not even returning for the named/ph spawns. You are allowed to AFK between spawns as long as you are physically present and ready to engage when the mob pops. You can kill Frenzy and leave your computer for 27' 59'' and if you are ready to engage Frenzy again when he respawns it's all good.

You are right about the GM's choosing to side with whoever was physically at the camp, or at very least you are correct in that it does happen occasionally. As I've stated before, this situation just happened to me recently. Slave, you are probably right that quoting specific rules in that situation might aid the original camper as well.

All I am trying to do is inform anyone interested in this detail that they are not guaranteed the camp just because the rules seem to indicate as such. I expected to be awarded the right to choose between my camps. That was not the case. I also lost the GM petition. This was because I was not physically present when the newcomer stumbled into the room. To recap, named/ph was not spawned, I was back in time, I told the newcomer I was camping it, he initiated FTE as I was typing to him the situation for the 3rd time and telling him he was wrong. I petitioned the GM, and I lost. Do I disagree with the GM? Maybe, but that's irrelevant.

Recap: expect to have to be present, and make sure you land FTE, or be ready to make a big federal case about it.