PDA

View Full Version : Trying to keep my interest in the game alive, how is Velious?

Hagglebaron
09-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Velious launch was where I essentially stopped playing during live, for no particular reason. Does it offer attractions that might revitalize one's waning interest in the game? Anything revolutionary?

Or have any of my fellow bluebies tried and liked Red? Maybe that would be sufficient to keep the eq cravings strong

falkun
09-05-2012, 07:08 AM
What did you enjoy so much about Kunark? Classic? Knowing where your interest lies will allow me (and others) to tailor my response about the positive aspects of Velious to your tastes.

mitic
09-05-2012, 07:10 AM
velious is fun, especially to achieve the ultimate goal to be sleepers keye besides doing ntov raids

red is fun, server currently needs clr,mnk and chanters! if u wana roll solo and gear ur main on your own, start a pet class first.

Cippofra
09-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Velious was by far my favorite era. There is a lot to see, and the zones are just entertaining. Its definitely worth at least exploring.

Scratch&Sniff
09-05-2012, 07:22 AM
xp bonus on red makes level 35 in lguk feel like level 10, fun times, people are friendly

webrunner5
09-05-2012, 10:59 AM
I am not sure you could call Velious revolutionary. The Hybrid XP penality will drop not long after it comes out. Thats helps. There are a ton of really great gear on it. But the mobs hit a LOT harder so you need it.

It will help the raid scene some because more High end stuff to kill. I guess it is just about a lot of newer zones and getting better gear. Pretty much what EQ has been about all along.

At least the Good and Evil race thingy won't matter. It will be Factions between Dragons and Giants. Can get ugly at times how long it takes to get good faction.

I am looking forward to it. I thought Velious was a great expansion by Sony.

SwordNboard
09-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I thought Velious was a great expansion by Sony.

O_o

Snagglepuss
09-05-2012, 01:19 PM
I liked how on red I saw 2 people in G'fay when I made my new character. Makes for a great MMO experience.

skorge
09-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I liked how on red I saw 2 people in G'fay when I made my new character. Makes for a great MMO experience.I was that other dude and he's just mad cause I kept pwning him over and over AND over!

Nirgon
09-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Velious is definitely something worth taking their time on to release correctly. It is the crown jewel of the classic trilogy imo.

It would be best served with an open beta and character copy imo before doing it for real. Further, I think it needs its own forum section allowing for general discussion and bug/inaccuracy reporting.

It will bring in great numbers for sure, Velious is awesome.

fadetree
09-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Velious is EQ at its greatest.

Snagglepuss
09-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Dragons, Giants, and Dwarves! Sounds like a helluvah time to me!

There's a little bit of everything in Velious. The outdoor zones keep kiters happy; the dungeons keep the casuals happy; and the loot keeps the raiders happy.

baloen
09-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Rings wars...lots of fun and madness there

Caso
09-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Velius is the best expansion ever, lots to do and great fights, the 10th ring fight is great! NtoV! Only place i realy hate is Velk, great exp but nada loot, rare gems for armor and just tons of frigging silk and nasty trains. But Velius owns!

Snagglepuss
09-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do remember that Velious was also somewhat of a turning point in Mudflation terms. The gap between casual and raider really started to widen.

With Kunark you could buy the best gear (to an extent, excluding Veeshan's Peak). Even then, the best gear in the Kunark doesn't totally trump planar quested / dropped gear. But eventually in Velious, raid gear stats start to become really high. Some of Vulak's items replace epics (like ragebringer becomes range item) and would last until the Planes of Power.

It's an interesting observation how there really is something for everyone in this expansion. Thurg gear is groupable or mini-raid worthy whereas NToV and such will really test the best players / zerglings.

Happyfeet
09-05-2012, 02:00 PM
The only problem we'll have on this server with Velious is the sprawl it creates. You won't be able to walk into DN and find a group on this server like you could on live IMO. But places like Kael, Velks, thurgB, WL, CS, and SS will be pretty busy with people farming gear/items. But then again the sprawl is what helps guilds of all calibers get to see some raiding action. Anyone can raid PoG or the roaming dragons in WW for some decent armor.

Other than that, Velious was my favorite, and I can't wait to see some of these encounters again. Things like Vyemm/AOW/Eashan rampage/flurry rape, Dain/Phase spider TP proc, the traps in DN... there are so many new mob abilities.

falkun
09-05-2012, 02:03 PM
While NTOV loot may have seriously increased mudflation, it wasn't as bad as VT. Also, there is the other side you mention in your own post: There is something for everyone: Dwarf armor is fairly easy, but an upgrade from planar while Dragon/Giant is nearly BIS except for raid drops from NTOV. Its like LFR/normal/Heroics in WoW, but without recycling the same exact content.

Tarathiel
09-05-2012, 02:17 PM
like the OP i quit before i really got to experience velious, sounds like its gonna be freaking amazing tho

sykotic
09-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Velious is definitely worth sticking around for. Its fun to explore and the dungeons are great.

Barkingturtle
09-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Just as it was to Live, Velious will be the Golden Age of Project99.

That said, there's no harm in playing on Red, too. If you're going to play around on Red though I'd recommend you do it sooner rather than later because the population can be a little flaky and you never know when half of them are going to get irrationally upset about something trivial and split. Personally, I dedicate my limited playing time heavily in favor of Blue, because it's just more fun. I dig PvP, but in EQ it is just kinda cumbersome in its half-assedness, in my opinion. Honestly though, when I play I do so for nostalgia rather than any sense of achievement, so I think it probably depends more on your own goals in-game and what gratifies you.

Pringles
09-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Not that they have to, but just curious if the devs given any sort of "status" update on where they are at with Velious? I catch little tidbits here and there that shows they are working on it, but havent seen anything beyond that. I am curious if we are 1 year out, 2+ years out? months out? Nothing can be definitive of course, but it would be exciting to know where it stands.... and *if* its really going to happen.

Lagaidh
09-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I've said this to p99 players that never played live: I am so jealous of you Hagglebaron.

You are in for such a treat and it will all be brand-spanking new to you. I envy that. I wish that I could look upon p99 with no foreknowledge.

Man... you really are in for a treat. If you were happy with EQ up through Kunark, then you are going to fall in LOVE with Velious. In my opinion, it is the single best expansion to any online game I have ever played. (Limited resume: EQ, WoW, EQ2, Guild Wars)

Danth
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
There's something of a disclaimer with Velious: It's primarily a raiding-based expansion. If you don't like raiding Velious will seem fairly mediocre compared to Kunark. There's no level cap increase and not very many new group dungeons. Most of the best solo/small group money camps remain in Kunark. Nonetheless, it's still more content--albeit a somewhat limited amount of it--designed in the same style as the earlier expansion. In short, if you like the game already, you'll like Velious too.

Danth

fadetree
09-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Maybe it only seems primarily raiding-based if you've done it before...I totally don't agree that the content is 'limited'...there's TONS of new content. It's true there isn't much of a level cap increase, so if huge increases in player power are your yardstick then yeah its limited that way. But..Velks, tower of FS, Kael, Skyshrine, Thurgadin, WW, Cobalt Scar, Siron's Grotto, Dragon Necropolis, to name a few all have cash camps of some sort...plus tons of outdoor stuff, plus unique encounters like the war in GD and so forth. I dunno, all I can say is that it doesn't seem limited or raiding only to me. Just opinion of course.

SwordNboard
09-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Crystal Caverns! :D

Briscoe
09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Given the love that Kedge gets on this server, I expect to see plenty of people in SG.

falkun
09-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Given the love that Kedge gets on this server, I expect to see plenty of people in SG.

Illusion: Water Elemental, Ho!

webrunner5
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Crystal Caverns! :D

Wow, always hated pulling in that zone. But a very exciting place and some nice loot.

Swish
09-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Surprised nobody has menioned the Tower of Frozen Shadow yet - great fun in there on live - and for clothies/non-tanks with good memories, there's an excellent spot in there to max your defense skill :)

Heebo
09-06-2012, 05:31 PM
<3 TOFS

Psionide
09-06-2012, 07:57 PM
did someone say Velk's doesnt have loot??? Mustve been a melee.

kbnexus
09-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Surprised nobody has menioned the Tower of Frozen Shadow yet - great fun in there on live - and for clothies/non-tanks with good memories, there's an excellent spot in there to max your defense skill :)

favorite zone in game.... for expin

eqravenprince
09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Velious has my favorite dungeon, Crystal Caverns. It's the only dungeon you could bind in as a melee, unless you count HighKeep which is super tiny in comparison. And you could sell and bank there too. Didn't do much raiding in Velious, but still quite fun for me.

Nirgon
09-07-2012, 12:22 PM

The crystal chitin shit is baller

nilzark
09-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Agreed. Velious was the best thing since slicing Sarnaks.

falkun
09-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Agreed. Velious was the next thing since slicing Sarnaks.

FTFY.

Haul
09-09-2012, 12:57 AM
I am not sure you could call Velious revolutionary. The Hybrid XP penality will drop not long after it comes out. Thats helps. There are a ton of really great gear on it. But the mobs hit a LOT harder so you need it.

It will help the raid scene some because more High end stuff to kill. I guess it is just about a lot of newer zones and getting better gear. Pretty much what EQ has been about all along.

At least the Good and Evil race thingy won't matter. It will be Factions between Dragons and Giants. Can get ugly at times how long it takes to get good faction.

I am looking forward to it. I thought Velious was a great expansion by Sony.

kinda agree, I loved Velious, but Luclin was fucking badass

Haul
09-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Velious has my favorite dungeon, Crystal Caverns. It's the only dungeon you could bind in as a melee, unless you count HighKeep which is super tiny in comparison. And you could sell and bank there too. Didn't do much raiding in Velious, but still quite fun for me.

loved that zone!! :cool:

Grahm
09-09-2012, 03:49 AM

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=6282

yah

Diggles
09-09-2012, 05:53 AM
civil shittin wrand haps.

Danth
09-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Depends on which version of Velketor's we get. A great deal of Velious loot was trash for the first 4-6 months of the expansion. Verant had to go back and re-itemize many areas (including Velk's) so as to make them more appealing. I guess the general assumption is that Velious will launch on P1999 with its revised loot tables.

Danth

Halfling
09-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Velious launch was where I essentially stopped playing during live, for no particular reason. Does it offer attractions that might revitalize one's waning interest in the game? Anything revolutionary?

Or have any of my fellow bluebies tried and liked Red? Maybe that would be sufficient to keep the eq cravings strong

Only thing I can think that would be awesome for you in Velious would be ....

Gnome skin armor.