PDA

View Full Version : So when will we get a fresh server reset , everyone back to level 1.

goodle
09-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Reset all the drama, the egos, the economy .....EVERYTHING. The only people that would cry are the hard core raiders that play WAY to much as it is(they need to go take a jog outside and maybe see some sun light anyways). Seriously,the only good thing about classic EQ that realistically stands the test of time is the journey to max level and twinking alts. Once you hit max level in EQ the experience begins to snowball down hill .

Edit- Hell, leave the old blue server open even just to end the debate. I can bet you that the population would be something like 1200 on the new server and 100 on the old.

fullmetalcoxman
09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Versus
09-09-2012, 09:54 PM
good one

goodle
09-09-2012, 09:57 PM
good one

Oh god not the guy with the lamest GIF of all time responding to me on the P1999 forums. You have had that pos since day 1 on here, time to spruce up your wardrobe.

Tecmos Deception
09-09-2012, 10:00 PM
A reset would be a far worse thing for casuals than hardcore players.

Hardcore players would exploit (and I don't mean cheating, just in the "taking advantage of" sense) the bejesus out of legacy items and cash camps and best xp spots and would have organization that the casuals do not.

Casual players would be struggling to level up their naked casters and their rusty-dagger rogues at orc highway, moaning about the days when they could afford mid-level twink gear for their MAIN characters just by farming wisps for a few hours.

Nirgon
09-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Live servers had like 2-4k pop

Blue has 600 which is pretty livable, hell there isn't long wait lists to get into groups.. even if you gotta wait for more people to occasionally show up. Camps aren't over crowded.

If you split 600 prime into 300 prime and 300 low to 150 low... things will start to fall apart. You don't need another server splitting up the populations.

After every imaginable bug and not classic element is corrected? Give it like a year or two then talk about it. Creating a new one right now does nothing but harm.

Vermicelli
09-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Regardless of guard assist being in or not, I can't believe I have to once again say this, I think I've said it enough:

There will never be a fucking character wipe or server reset. STOP asking about it, STOP trolling about it, We DON'T do them. This is NOT VZ/TZ or any other server you may have been used to that happening.

Emphasis Rogean's.

Tarathiel
09-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Casual players would be struggling to level up their naked casters and their rusty-dagger rogues at orc highway, moaning about the days when they could afford mid-level twink gear for their MAIN characters just by farming wisps for a few hours.

this pretty much sums it up right here, aside from the most high-end of items and rarest of spells, everything is dirt cheap on this server.

goodle
09-10-2012, 01:05 AM
this pretty much sums it up right here, aside from the most high-end of items and rarest of spells, everything is dirt cheap on this server.

The definition of a casual player on P 1999 is a hardcore player on every other casual MMO today. The definition of a hardcore player on P 1999 is a 200+ pound man child that needs his diaper changed daily. If you are under that weight class then I am sorry, you have good genetics and should call your parents right now and thank them for it. Real talk tho, the best part of EQ classic is everyone starting fresh and leveling together. That Rogean post is sad indeed. They will never top 1k+ pop even when Velious launches , mark my words. Kunark was the pinnacle, bookmark this.

hatelore
09-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Oh god not the guy with the lamest GIF of all time responding to me on the P1999 forums. You have had that pos since day 1 on here, time to spruce up your wardrobe.

Um, what you smokin? My family loves that gif! they laugh every time they see it hah.

godbox
09-10-2012, 01:30 AM
this is my serious response to a thread about something that will never happen

goodle
09-10-2012, 02:18 AM
this is my serious response to a thread about something that will never happen

When they open a new server 2 years from now you can hold out with the other 100 or less people MAX that stay on the old server. You can stay in your little world and wave to the 1 person per zone max you see while you farm. The fact is , all good things come to an end. Just like your server it will end soon enough and a new tree of life will grow. Enjoy your character while it lasts. Oh and don't forget that you can go over to another private server and have all that gear/plat in 2 seconds and realize you wasted years of your life for nothing.

Tarathiel
09-10-2012, 04:06 AM
and how long do you think before your glorious new server ends up in the same place this server is at now?? 1 year? 2? your argument is invalid bro. if a new server started tomorrow, by christmas people would be crying for a reset. if you want a reset so bad try making an alt and not twinking him, have fun grinding out 60 lvls in banded dawg

falkun
09-10-2012, 07:35 AM
They will never top 1k+ pop even when Velious launches , mark my words. Kunark was the pinnacle, bookmark this.

http://eqemulator.org/index.php?pageid=serverinfo&worldid=787
Max Players: 1523

Take off your tinfoil hat. Resets hurt casuals far more than it penalizes hardcore players. If you do not comprehend this, you need to go back to ECON101.

Cippofra
09-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Best advice ive heard for how to make this server a better place is to ignore the negative cry babies on these forums and just play. If you dont like it, leave the server and leave it to the pleasant people. Dont crap on someone elses parade because something doesnt live up to your standards. For a free server, i like this place exactly the way it is

Vicatin
09-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Haul
09-10-2012, 08:42 AM
I just wanna know how all these people get away with playing at work it's sickening. Don't people work when they're on the clock anymore. IT and computer bums :D

Briscoe
09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I am a "casual player," and I can tell you that if the server gets reset, I will leave and likely won't return. I hesitated joining P99 because of the volatility of most emulated servers, but the fact that P99 has existed for a while now without a reset, coupled with the staff's insistence on not resetting, ultimately drew me in.

I have limited time to play games, and right now EQ on P99 is the one game I play when I have free time. As a result, it has taken me a while just to reach a moderately high level (42). I like knowing that the time I invest won't inevitably be invalidated by a server reset. Once the server gets reset once, I have no reason to believe it won't continue to get reset multiple times in the future. Thus, I have no reason to invest my spare time on P99.

For the "hardcore" players, recovering from a server reset is trivial. They would not leave. I suspect that for a substantial percentage of "casual" players, a server reset would permanently drive them away.

fadetree
09-10-2012, 08:58 AM
bookmark this.

Sorry, my 'dumbass things to say' bookmark folder is all full.

mitic
09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
briscoe, Iam confident there will be a wipe down the road a year after velious is launched since nilbog doesn't want to go further than velious

Everquest is limited without new expansions

Ravager
09-10-2012, 09:17 AM
and how long do you think before your glorious new server ends up in the same place this server is at now?? 1 year? 2? your argument is invalid bro. if a new server started tomorrow, by christmas people would be crying for a reset. if you want a reset so bad try making an alt and not twinking him, have fun grinding out 60 lvls in banded dawg

I just rolled a non-twink to level. All my gear is going to be made by me or looted off mobs. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's the most classic experience you can have.

shams
09-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents as a casual player.. I'm married, work around 30 hours a week, and go to school full time. I'm very proud and happy with where I've gotten my character to up to this point in the last 6 months or so. I don't always get to play when I want to and I think that just like some of the other posters here, if the server were ever reset in that fashion I probably wouldn't come back.

Also, I imagine that even for the hardcore EQ'ers here, a reset would be equally frustrating as I imagine one of the reasons they play so often and for so long is so they could get to the point they're at now with all of their uber gear.

If you really want to start all over, then just roll a new toon and don't accept handouts from anyone.

falkun
09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Also, I imagine that even for the hardcore EQ'ers here, a reset would be equally frustrating as I imagine one of the reasons they play so often and for so long is so they could get to the point they're at now with all of their uber gear.

The thing is the hardcore have all the uber gear because there isn't more uber gear for them to collect. MMORPGs are treadmill in nature to keep that carrot on a stick dangling in front of the player so they keep logging on and (on Live) keep paying. Restarting that treadmill doesn't change the fact that there is a treadmill, which is where most players derive their fun, beating the treadmill. So resetting hurts those less who enjoy running on the treadmill less than resetting harms the casuals who are on the treadmill because of the experiences on the treadmill. There are those who enjoy the treadmill, and there are those who enjoy the bumps in the gravel path.

jarshale
09-10-2012, 12:40 PM
As a casual player, I would probably quit if there was a wipe. It took me a long time to get my characters to where they are at with only a few hours a day. I have no idea what this goodle guy is talking about.

Picked
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
As a casual player, I would probably quit if there was a wipe. It took me a long time to get my characters to where they are at with only a few hours a day. I have no idea what this goodle guy is talking about.

lol it's funny to me how casual on EQ means a few hours a day, 3-5 hours can be considered casual. Yet that is 21 to 35 hours in a calendar week, almost as much as a full time job.

Not meant as a slam or anything. Just gave me a chuckle at how EQ is so different than other mmo's. Casuals on other mmo's would be 1-2 hours every other day or so.

rikustrength
09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't understand why so many people claim a reset is "inevitable", despite the fact that a staggering majority of people seem to not want it and the staff has stated numerous times that it will never happen. I think the plan for progression has been made very clear; we are going to get velious at some point, and all non velious content that came about around the same time will eventually be updated, and then we will talk about what is next to come. We might implement certain, specific expansions, or perhaps specific elements of specific expansions. Perhaps we will see aa's, even modified ones. Another possibility is custom content, likely using specific aspects of expansions as a basis and building out from there. Personally, I would love to see custom content involving new and continuing story. I would love to see a return of the sleeper if/when we ever wake him up on this server. I would love to see aa's, provided they were changed. The existing problem with aa's is they create a much larger gap in power between players. One level 60 with 0 aa's would be a completely different character if they had 500 aa's. There were honestly just far too many, and the grind to aquire all of them was a nightmare. Maybe make it a bit easier to get them, possibly lower the xp required, or implement quests that reward the player with them. Just my 2cp

Ferok
09-10-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't understand why so many people claim a reset is "inevitable", despite the fact that a staggering majority of people seem to not want it and the staff has stated numerous times that it will never happen. I think the plan for progression has been made very clear; we are going to get velious at some point, and all non velious content that came about around the same time will eventually be updated, and then we will talk about what is next to come. We might implement certain, specific expansions, or perhaps specific elements of specific expansions. Perhaps we will see aa's, even modified ones. Another possibility is custom content, likely using specific aspects of expansions as a basis and building out from there. Personally, I would love to see custom content involving new and continuing story. I would love to see a return of the sleeper if/when we ever wake him up on this server. I would love to see aa's, provided they were changed. The existing problem with aa's is they create a much larger gap in power between players. One level 60 with 0 aa's would be a completely different character if they had 500 aa's. There were honestly just far too many, and the grind to aquire all of them was a nightmare. Maybe make it a bit easier to get them, possibly lower the xp required, or implement quests that reward the player with them. Just my 2cp

Where AA's were when I quit (end of gates of discord) was that basically being 65 wasn't enough for top end guilds, you needed to have X AA's as well. And while what you say is somewhat true, that it creates a power gap, I prefer it ultimately to adding new levels.

In general, every class had some 'high priority' AA's. Tanks, for instance, had one that provided a bonus to hitpoints. Buff classes had mass-group-buff. Most of these AA's were accessible, and you could have the 'high priority' ones with maybe 30-50 total AA's. People did, of course, have hundreds of AA's, but the laws of diminishing returns on some of those were staggering. Many AA's were marginal, situational, or both.

In no way was it necessary to acquire 'all of them'. Many 'hardcore' players had relatively few AA's as it was time consuming, and they'd spend their time raiding. The people that had tons of AA's tended to be solo classes who, for whatever reason, didn't have schedules that permitted raiding.

While Luclin was truly a dreadful expansion, I never thought AA's were part of the over-arching dreadfulness.

Rogean
09-10-2012, 01:45 PM
So when will we get a fresh server reset , everyone back to level 1.

Never.

Rogean
09-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I've said that we will probably do some custom content after velious has been out a while, keeping in line with the classic feel of EQ. Will most likely never have AA's, the system for that has been ripped out of our code base.

Tecmos Deception
09-10-2012, 01:53 PM
I've said that we will probably do some custom content after velious has been out a while, keeping in line with the classic feel of EQ. Will most likely never have AA's, the system for that has been ripped out of our code base.

<3

goodle
09-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Never.

I would love to see how my theory works out. If you left the current server open and also opened a new blue server with no expansions. I can pretty much guarantee that 70 percent of the games population will migrate to the new server. Just because the vocal minority on this forum lashes out against a fresh start, doesn't mean the people don't want it. Keep your Kunark server open so the power gamers can keep all their 1337 gear and you won't have the backlash, just the experiment. I think Rogean knows I am right, Project 1999 would likely see a nice influx of players if a new blue server opened with no Kunark. I just think at this point in his coding/development he doesn't care anymore about getting more players. He just wants to finish his "vision".

Arclanz
09-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Why reset/wipe when they can just launch another server? But noo some posters hate the idea of giving players a choice. Goodle is certainly right that a fresh server would bring in lots of players. If there is also a mass exodus from blue to this new server, then I guess that shows folks aren't happy on the current blue.

Picked
09-10-2012, 02:54 PM
I would love to see how my theory works out. If you left the current server open and also opened a new blue server with no expansions. I can pretty much guarantee that 70 percent of the games population will migrate to the new server. Just because the vocal minority on this forum lashes out against a fresh start, doesn't mean the people don't want it. Keep your Kunark server open so the power gamers can keep all their 1337 gear and you won't have the backlash, just the experiment. I think Rogean knows I am right, Project 1999 would likely see a nice influx of players if a new blue server opened with no Kunark. I just think at this point in his coding/development he doesn't care anymore about getting more players. He just wants to finish his "vision".

It's a dead issue man. You're not going to convince everyone for this to happen. I'm sure there would be attention to the new server at first. But it would be the same of what we have now. Why are you pushing this so hard? Did you get started late and feel left behind or something? I personally like how cheap things are, and that people that just started playing can afford to have decent items early on.

goodle
09-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Why reset/wipe when they can just launch another server? But noo some posters hate the idea of giving players a choice. Goodle is certainly right that a fresh server would bring in lots of players. If there is also a mass exodus from blue to this new server, then I guess that shows folks aren't happy on the current blue.

Ya if you read above I think leaving both servers open would end the debate. I don't think Rogean cares anymore about an influx of new players, he just cares about finishing his vision. An example would be this, he would rather get Velious released and have 500 people on at all times over having a fresh classic server and 1500 people on at all times.

Arclanz
09-10-2012, 03:00 PM
...Casual players would ... moaning about the days when they could afford mid-level twink gear for their MAIN characters just by farming wisps for a few hours.

Yes because farming wisps for days to buy gear is what made EQ fun. Who needs to treasure hunt when you can mindlessly kill wisps and go to a vending machine; essentially paying someone else to play for you. Fun stuff.

Picked
09-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Ya if you read above I think leaving both servers open would end the debate. I don't think Rogean cares anymore about an influx of new players, he just cares about finishing his vision. An example would be this, he would rather get Velious released and have 500 people on at all times over having a fresh classic server and 1500 people on at all times.

Or maybe he just decided to do this project a certain way and doesn't care what a couple people on the forums think?

Picked
09-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Not trying to sound brash or anything. But It's not like Rogean is making money hand over first here. His need to satisfy the player base comes from the person he is, not because he is getting everyone's money like a functioning MMO business would be.

I'm sure when he decided to do this he wanted Luclin/Velious because he knew there was a lot of players like him who enjoyed that particular content.

goodle
09-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes because farming wisps for days to buy gear is what made EQ fun. Who needs to treasure hunt when you can mindlessly kill wisps and go to a vending machine; essentially paying someone else to play for you. Fun stuff.

What made EQ fun was the early game. Hey if you enjoy the 7+ hour raids where you need to be alert at all times then I guess a few people enjoy the end game more.

India
09-10-2012, 03:26 PM

You do realize that it's no as easy as just launching a new instance of EQ, right?

There's resources to consider (bandwidth, server size, etc), a GM or two to try and get onboard, another instance to maintain, etc.

feanan
09-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Know where we can get those resources from?

kill red :)

kaev
Or maybe he just decided to do this project a certain way and doesn't care what a couple people on the forums think?

You take that back and apologize to everybody right now! This is the internet, the home of incompetent mind-readers and wildly delusional conspiracy "theorists", Occam's Razor has no place here.

goodle
Know where we can get those resources from?

kill red :)

I give three thumbs up to this quote.

bakkily
09-10-2012, 04:30 PM
leave the server open, i've started to play again and yes, i've ran into alot of people that play well and many that dont, shit happens, welcome to life

but not sure whats taking velious so long but i can wait another good 6-8 months, but once velious is out alot of the population will come back and some more, i bet after some time of velious if they dont decide to do some custom content, and there are alot of shit that verant wanted to do but didnt get done, that of which is antonican content, but i dont think its that tough as a new player to get started up here,

angers a wonderful gift to have, but half the people that post stupid shit like wipe the server are those who let anger get in the way of em' instead of figuring out the positive of the situation and what would be or could be done better next time

Picked
09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
but not sure whats taking velious so long but i can wait another good 6-8 months, but once velious is out alot of the population will come back and some more, i bet after some time of velious if they dont decide to do some custom content, and there are alot of shit that verant wanted to do but didnt get done, that of which is antonican content, but i dont think its that tough as a new player to get started up here,

This is a ways off topic, but relative to what you mentioned. I was curious the other day and couldn't for the life of me remember what expansion Vexsar came out in. I know it was located at the bottom of the lake in Ill Omen. but it was added later. Was it during the PoP expansion or Luclin, I can't remember.

Ferok
09-10-2012, 04:57 PM
This is a ways off topic, but relative to what you mentioned. I was curious the other day and couldn't for the life of me remember what expansion Vexsar came out in. I know it was located at the bottom of the lake in Ill Omen. but it was added later. Was it during the PoP expansion or Luclin, I can't remember.

Came out shortly before LDoN, according to an old allakhazam post:http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zones.html?zstrat=94#m105542152266734

Arclanz
09-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Not trying to sound brash or anything. But It's not like Rogean is making money hand over first here. His need to satisfy the player base comes from the person he is, not because he is getting everyone's money like a functioning MMO business would be.

I'm sure when he decided to do this he wanted Luclin/Velious because he knew there was a lot of players like him who enjoyed that particular content.

Agreed. It is their project and they do as they see fit. Some players are enjoying it. I did a lot, for a couple months. If the team wants (many) more people enjoying the fruits of their hard work, open a new server. Simple as that and of course it is their choice.

That way we'd have two blue servers; one with built-in vending machines so all the players who love killing wisps all day can join that server.

Picked
09-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Came out shortly before LDoN, according to an old allakhazam post:http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zones.html?zstrat=94#m105542152266734

Thank you. Was trying to figure that out the other day and had no luck.

Agreed. It is their project and they do as they see fit. Some players are enjoying it. I did a lot, for a couple months. If the team wants (many) more people enjoying the fruits of their hard work, open a new server. Simple as that and of course it is their choice.

That way we'd have two blue servers; one with built-in vending machines so all the players who love killing wisps all day can join that server.

I leveled up my first char to 52. Didn't kill one wisp. Had pretty much terrible gear until level 40. I came up the hard way in this environment. Killing wisps is an option I suppose. You are not obligated to buy anything from anyone. Nobody is putting a gun to your head. Just enjoy the game the way you like to enjoy it lol

ectokooler
09-10-2012, 06:30 PM
It's hard to believe how many people there are that just like to complain about the server in general. For all of you who are SO incredibly unhappy, why don't you take it upon yourself to create an experience YOU want by building your own server. If this were my project, you can guarantee I'd be taking 99% of these opinions of how "the real EQ experience should be" with a grain of salt. Afterall, once this becomes more of a job than an enjoyable hobby, we can expect a lot less than what we're getting now. I for one am happy to have found this server and stick by the creator's vision.

Yajirobe Yajipants
09-10-2012, 06:44 PM

This whole argument/whine fest again? Why don't you start your own server, internet tough guy?

Nirgon
09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Didn't I already tell you? Live servers were like 2-4k pop, this is 600-650ish (which is quite livable btw) prime. Why would it be a good idea to split it?

Spitty
09-11-2012, 01:54 AM
What made EQ fun was the early game. Hey if you enjoy the 7+ hour raids where you need to be alert at all times then I guess a few people enjoy the end game more.

Who the hell are you to keep telling people what made EQ fun?

Hundreds of thousands of people played this game at one point. Your vision of how EQ should be enjoyed (which is a completely laughable concept given the very nature of an MMORPG) is statistically irrelevant.

Rogean's reply was about as perfect as it gets - one word, no explanation. Describing in detail why it would never happen would probably cause an aneurysm from the brain trying to take the simplest of common sense and boil it down to an even less complex thought process.

Dantes
09-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Resetting would end drama? ha.

Arclanz
09-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Unless memory fails, there was a Dantes who led Valorblade on Brell back in the day. Any relation? I'd guess not since you list RZ in your sig.

Tecmos Deception
09-11-2012, 11:33 AM

No one does 7+ hour raids.

If you think "the early game" is the most fun part of EQ, then have at it. No one is stopping you from starting characters and playing them untwinked, or from finding a few other people/new players to do the same thing.

Raavak
09-11-2012, 12:10 PM

No one does 7+ hour raids.
I haven't seen a 7-hour raid since Live. Maybe some pre-Kunark PoSky came close, but nothing in years.

If you think "the early game" is the most fun part of EQ, then have at it. No one is stopping you from starting characters and playing them untwinked, or from finding a few other people/new players to do the same thing.
Ah, yes the beauty of EQ. Freedom to do what you want. Its pretty nice having that option isn't it?

yraapt
09-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I think it should be pretty obvious they are not going to wipe the most successful EMU server anytime soon.

Vicawin
09-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Yea they may reset it in the years to come, doing right now probably not the best idea ;P

kbnexus
09-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Reset all the drama, the egos, the economy .....EVERYTHING. The only people that would cry are the hard core raiders that play WAY to much as it is(they need to go take a jog outside and maybe see some sun light anyways). Seriously,the only good thing about classic EQ that realistically stands the test of time is the journey to max level and twinking alts. Once you hit max level in EQ the experience begins to snowball down hill .

Edit- Hell, leave the old blue server open even just to end the debate. I can bet you that the population would be something like 1200 on the new server and 100 on the old.

I agree you pay for the new server!