PDA

View Full Version : Want Your Friends To Play?

ccs88
09-15-2012, 01:05 PM
I had ~20 friends pick up EQ this weekend to play on Project1999, and I threw together this website to help them get started.
I know the wiki has great info and guides, but this covers the really basic beginner stuff. If you want your friends to play, this may be worth showing them.

http://www.eq101.org/

The forums are specific to my friends and I, but the rest is a work in progress, FFA.

Thanks!
Micron

Swish
09-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Rangers are just bad

No mincing words there I see Micron, looked like a good basic overview at a glance. Obviously the forum lawyers will pick it apart, but for new players its a good foundation :)

Tecmos Deception
09-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Not bad. I think I personally would have built a page that walks the player through from setting up p1999 through picking a class through character creation through their first few levels before I worried about a FAQ though.

I mean, someone who is using your site without THOROUGHLY reading the wiki and/or forums is going to make a troll sk and not understand why they are leveling SOO slowly, is going to think a wizard is better for an xp group than a ranger, is going to get lost trying to find his guild, is going to quit the game when he dies to the first newbie mob he attacks on his [insert non-necro class here], is going to freak out when he can't afford to buy all of his level 1 spells right away let alone all of his level 4/5 spells if he gets that far, is going to be frustrated when his cleric/tank/rogue who didn't start in FP or Gfay can't find a single other person to group with, the list goes on.

Cool idea, I just would be executed it differently if your goal is to ease true noobies to EQ (but who seem not to be noobies to more modern MMOs) into the game.

Hailto
09-15-2012, 02:03 PM
You left out the fact that Shaman are the most powerful class in classic at high levels.

Itap
09-15-2012, 02:14 PM
-Iksar look retarded when they swing weapons

:mad:

ccs88
09-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Not bad. I think I personally would have built a page that walks the player through from setting up p1999 through picking a class through character creation through their first few levels before I worried about a FAQ though.

I mean, someone who is using your site without THOROUGHLY reading the wiki and/or forums is going to make a troll sk and not understand why they are leveling SOO slowly, is going to think a wizard is better for an xp group than a ranger, is going to get lost trying to find his guild, is going to quit the game when he dies to the first newbie mob he attacks on his [insert non-necro class here], is going to freak out when he can't afford to buy all of his level 1 spells right away let alone all of his level 4/5 spells if he gets that far, is going to be frustrated when his cleric/tank/rogue who didn't start in FP or Gfay can't find a single other person to group with, the list goes on.

Cool idea, I just would be executed it differently if your goal is to ease true noobies to EQ (but who seem not to be noobies to more modern MMOs) into the game.

I actually installed it for them, and am helping everyone in vent so it's really just a quick reference. Not perfect by any means. One of my friends started a barbarian and that starting area is just ridiculous for people used to WoW/etc. He was going to quit for good and I told him to roll anything else. He said it's 100x better starting in Freeport. :rolleyes:

ccs88
09-15-2012, 02:44 PM
+ Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely take advice and make it better when I get some time. I appreciate the non-flaming-me attitude so far ;)

Valiant
09-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I had ~20 friends pick up EQ this weekend to play on Project1999

Sam Da man - Deathwalker, obviously

SwordNboard
09-15-2012, 09:49 PM
No offense, but I'm more impressed with the ~20 people than the website! :D

Breeziyo
09-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I wish I had ~20 gamer friends who I could convince to actually play this game.

http://i.imgur.com/RmEor.jpg

pharmakos
09-16-2012, 08:58 PM
i wish i had 20 friends period =p

Nirgon
09-16-2012, 10:40 PM
You will never relive the good times you had

greppy
09-17-2012, 06:27 AM
In the Commands/Emotes, /log turns on logging, it does not log you out.

Estu
09-17-2012, 10:05 AM
If the text is red or yellow, it means you probably can defeat them on your own.

:D

ccs88
09-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Sweet guide bro, how did you incorporate misinformation straight from 1999? So classic.
Only relaying what is already on the internet. Some junk slipped through the cracks. Thanks for pointing those out.

In the Commands/Emotes, turns on logging, it does not log you out.
You probably want to fix this if you don't want 20 p.o.'d friends.
While having less than 75 agility won't really affect your run speed, it will incur an AC loss.
Fixed, thank you.

"/blush
Character bleeds all over target."

lawl
Haha nice catch :) I would've never noticed.

Raavak
09-17-2012, 02:43 PM
If the text is red or yellow, it means you probably can defeat them on your own.:D
You probably want to fix this if you don't want 20 p.o.'d friends.

Acrux Bcrux
09-17-2012, 03:44 PM
"/blush
Character bleeds all over target."

lawl

Breeziyo
09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
While having less than 75 agility won't really affect your run speed, it will incur an AC loss. So if you're anything that might get hit, get to 75 agility and then don't spend any more points in it.

Example, erudite tanks.

edit: I've also noticed that when you get low on health, you lose agility. Perhaps that's what makes you move slower, seeing as how when you carry too much you slow down when your AGI drops as well?

Or am I missing something and Reikerz post was sarcastic?

ccs88
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Or am I missing something and Reikerz post was sarcastic?

I'm pretty sure he was just making fun of my website, but I did correct what he pointed out. ;)

Slave
09-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Bard - Human
Cleric - Dwarf
Druid - Halfling
Enchanter - Erudite (for stats) / Dark Elf (for hide)
Magician - Erudite
Monk - Iksar
Necromancer - Iksar
Paladin - Dwarf
Ranger - None
Rogue - Barbarian
Shadow Knight - Ogre
Shaman - Ogre
Warrior - Ogre
Wizard - Erudite

Hide is such a powerful racial characteristic that I would certainly put Dark Elf as best race for every pure INT caster excepting Necromancer where Iksars have an arguable advantage.

falkun
09-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Bard - Human
Cleric - Halfling (Hide + sneak) / Dark Elf (Hide + Snare clicky)
Druid - Halfling
Enchanter - Erudite (for stats) / Dark Elf (for hide)
Magician - Erudite (for stats) / Dark Elf (for hide)
Monk - Iksar
Necromancer - Iksar (regen)
Paladin - Dwarf
Ranger - Human
Rogue - Barbarian
Shadow Knight - Ogre
Shaman - Ogre
Warrior - Ogre
Wizard - Erudite (for stats) / Dark Elf (for hide)

Pyrion
09-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Iksar do not have enough intelligence in my oppinion. Plus they are even more KOS than other Nekromancers.

Estu
09-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Ranger - None

Enjoyed.

Shinko
09-18-2012, 09:00 AM
"WoW has turned you into a little sissy."

Slave
09-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Bard - player's choice
Cleric - Halfling (Hide + sneak) / Dark Elf (Hide + Snare clicky)
Druid - Halfling / Wood Elf (for Root clicky and height)
Enchanter - Erudite (for stats) / Dark Elf (for Hide)
Magician - Erudite (for stats) / Dark Elf (for Hide)
Monk - Iksar, or Human for exp mod (easier to group and level)
Necromancer - Iksar (regen) / Dark Elf (for Hide)
Paladin - Dwarf
Ranger - Human
Rogue - Barbarian, or Halfling for extreme exp mod (and masks mitigate shortness)
Shadow Knight - Ogre
Shaman - Ogre or Troll (Regen + Snare clicky)
Warrior - Ogre
Wizard - Erudite (for stats) / Dark Elf (for Hide)

This is my best revision with careful consideration.

Slave
09-18-2012, 02:34 PM
The problem is your "revisions" aren't necessary, getting an exp bonus doesn't help you at 60. The list was for best race/class combinations. Combinations such as Halfling Rogue and Troll Shaman don't belong on such a list.

They do belong on the list if you are pitching this game to a bunch of new players. Halfling Rogues take half the experience to level as a Troll Shadowknight (which is hugely significant when you're talking 400 hours to level FIFTY your first time around), and people from WoW don't know these mechanics.

Also, Troll regeneration + Snare is a viable, situationally superior alternative to Ogre stun resistance for Shaman, especially before level 60 (which approxmiately 2.5 of these 20 friends will ever reach).

Your reasoning that getting an exp bonus doesn't help you at 60 is specious at best.

pharmakos
09-18-2012, 06:17 PM
barbarian warriors can wear either medium or large armor. pretty valuable asset for any new warrior, you have twice as many armor options.

runlvlzero
09-18-2012, 09:23 PM
I wish I had ~20 gamer friends who I could convince to actually play this game.

http://i.imgur.com/RmEor.jpg

fucking a... #1 on the top left corner QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

fuck all the rest of that retarded shit, except maybe date farming.

Slave
09-18-2012, 10:59 PM
What you're talking about is "a list of possible race/class combinations" which is quite different than the best race/class combinations which I originally posted.

There's nothing "specious" about saying that an exp bonus doesn't help you at level 60. You may want to look up what that word means.

So by "Best" you mean "Best at level 60", which you brought up for 20 people who have never played EQ before, who are just now starting at level 1. Makes a lot of sense compared to the comprehensive list that we so bravely attempted to offer (and your threadbare list is also both incomplete and inaccurate).

Well, truly there is no reason to argue since one of these lists is clearly superior and he is free to use whichever one he wishes, or both.