PDA

View Full Version : SolA

eqravenprince
09-16-2012, 08:08 PM
I came back to play today after almost a year off. All the mobs in SolA attack me irregardless of level. Last winter when I played, they did not attack me if they were too far below me in level. I guess I thought undead were the only creatures that attacked irregardless of level.

kaev
09-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Gobbies been havin some serious green agro since earlier this year, deliberate change. Also live froggies in Guk have become dedicated suicide commandos. Not sure if other green cons doing same.

Tecmos Deception
09-16-2012, 10:04 PM
irregardles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJ-OK4jiSY

eqravenprince
09-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Gobbies been havin some serious green agro since earlier this year, deliberate change. Also live froggies in Guk have become dedicated suicide commandos. Not sure if other green cons doing same.

Hmmm, ok, thanks for the reply =). The other change I noticed was mobs tend to run away a lot sooner and faster. The zone was way too much of a pain to camp solo. I'd fight a light blue, but then he would start running away at a high rate of speed right through all the green con mobs that I choose to Feign Death through. So if the point was to annoy me enough to not solo there or make snare/root absolutely needed, mission accomplished.

Picked
09-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Hmmm, ok, thanks for the reply =). The other change I noticed was mobs tend to run away a lot sooner and faster. The zone was way too much of a pain to camp solo. I'd fight a light blue, but then he would start running away at a high rate of speed right through all the green con mobs that I choose to Feign Death through. So if the point was to annoy me enough to not solo there or make snare/root absolutely needed, mission accomplished.

Was down there last night and had all the same experiences you did. Everything was green to me. I didn't notice them running too fast though. Was about the norm. They didn't start running until 20%. The lower a mob is in relation to you the earlier it will start running though it seems.

Striiker
09-18-2012, 09:54 AM
AS mentioned, this was an intentional change to align the server with how the situation was on live back in the classic era. I think the key is that green con humanoid mobs will agro. Others will not.
The mob fleeing at 20% at a higher rate of speed was also put in place several months ago. This is also in keeping with the situation on live. The initial run speed for fleeing mobs was inaccurate (it was VERY fast). Snare was almost always needed in zones like LGuk and SolA on live. Root was okay but it would break often when mobs were getting hit so we preferred snare. Snare also prevented fleeing mobs from fighting whereas a fleeing rooted mob will still fight.
One thing which I have noticed that isn't really in place here (related to this discussion) is the effect of having a similar mob type in proximity when a mob wishes to flee. Mobs would not run when others of their social type were nearby. One tactic was to fight a mob close to another mob but out of agro range. This would effectively rot the mob (called it social root) as it would not flee at low health. (at least, this is how I remember it).

I agree that the green agro is very annoying. I could live without it but it is what it is so we just need to adjust our tactics accordingly.

eqravenprince
09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
AS mentioned, this was an intentional change to align the server with how the situation was on live back in the classic era. I think the key is that green con humanoid mobs will agro. Others will not.
The mob fleeing at 20% at a higher rate of speed was also put in place several months ago. This is also in keeping with the situation on live. The initial run speed for fleeing mobs was inaccurate (it was VERY fast). Snare was almost always needed in zones like LGuk and SolA on live. Root was okay but it would break often when mobs were getting hit so we preferred snare. Snare also prevented fleeing mobs from fighting whereas a fleeing rooted mob will still fight.
One thing which I have noticed that isn't really in place here (related to this discussion) is the effect of having a similar mob type in proximity when a mob wishes to flee. Mobs would not run when others of their social type were nearby. One tactic was to fight a mob close to another mob but out of agro range. This would effectively rot the mob (called it social root) as it would not flee at low health. (at least, this is how I remember it).

I agree that the green agro is very annoying. I could live without it but it is what it is so we just need to adjust our tactics accordingly.

I do remember always wanting someone with snare or equivalent in dungeons back in the day. But here it wasn't really needed, but now I suspect it is back to being more useful again. As far as matching classic, this change works for me.

As far as green con mobs attacking, my memory must be horrible. I do not remember this back in the day. I remember going to Runnyeye, Upper Guk, SolA, Cazic Thule, Crushbone, and Blackburrow and being able to run through green con mobs without being attacked. The only exception was undead always attacked no matter the level. And sitting down aggroed the trivial mobs too.

Raavak
09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
I do remember always wanting someone with snare or equivalent in dungeons back in the day. But here it wasn't really needed, but now I suspect it is back to being more useful again. As far as matching classic, this change works for me.
Another reason why an SK is such a great asset in a group!

kaev
09-18-2012, 12:03 PM

As far as green con mobs attacking, my memory must be horrible. I do not remember this back in the day. I remember going to Runnyeye, Upper Guk, SolA, Cazic Thule, Crushbone, and Blackburrow and being able to run through green con mobs without being attacked. The only exception was undead always attacked no matter the level. And sitting down aggroed the trivial mobs too.

Well, as long as we're on a nostalgia trip...

I remember green-con goblins agro'ing quite a bit, but it was not an always-on thing and it was still relative to level and influenced by other factors. So, from my (doubtless questionable) memory:

* xp giving mobs would agro regardless, even if (high) green-con, just as they do here
* agro when you were sitting worked as here with all hostile mobs regardless of con (remember the old /gu comic?)
* proximity mattered for green-con agro, as if part of the mechanic with green cons is that their agro radius diminished very rapidly once they dropped out of the XP-giving level range, so if you stood on top of a green-con goblin it would agro unless the level difference was extreme (i.e. L12 mob vs. L54 char, they would hold their breath and hope you went away without noticing them, unless you sat down of course, but a L25 mob would attack that same L54 char if he came close enough)
* social agro was worth a (small) bump for green agro, that is a mob that would've agro'd me a few levels earlier would not start a fight but would respond to an ally's "call for help" and join one,
* low-health was worth a substantial bump, damned near any hostile would jump on the bandwagon if you dropped into low-health range (berserking a warrior could be risky in places where green cons might agro)

I never tested specifics, calculated no exact numbers and my screenshots are long gone, but that's how I saw it at the time.

Picked
09-18-2012, 12:07 PM

I do remember that if something had just turned green to you it would still attack you if it was of the KoS variety. Just because it's green doesn't mean your safe. You mentioned above that some of the mobs in there were light blue to you? These mobs are attacking at will anyways, but that doesn't help matters any. Something has to be pretty green not to attack.

I don't think it's like a switch that turns on when a mob becomes green that it wont attack is what I'm trying to say.

webrunner5
09-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Well something has changed lately. Green Pumas in EC attack me while sitting at like level 10 at times. That started in the last few months.

Holey
09-18-2012, 02:24 PM

you know people can always invis down LOL

Holey
09-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Well something has changed lately. Green Pumas in EC attack me while sitting at like level 10 at times. That started in the last few months.

pumas always attacked in oasis, though thats just to sitting down.
but back in the day anything attack regardless what con they were. green blue db white red yellow.:p (oldschool ftw.)

Picked
09-18-2012, 04:43 PM

The way I remember it is anything that was KoS to you attacked you when you sat down. That is working as intended.

Striiker
09-18-2012, 05:05 PM
you know people can always invis down LOL

That's a valid tactic for getting to a location in a dungeon with green agro mobs. The issue happens when you drop invis to fight something and then it takes off at 20% health telling all of the green agro buddies along his path that there's a party at your carcass. This is worsened by the questionable pathing to get to you.. So, that one or two green mobs turns into a pile on of epic proportions. :-)

SwordNboard
09-18-2012, 05:25 PM
SolA shamans see invis iirc.