PDA

View Full Version : Rogean's Apology

Rooj
09-19-2012, 11:30 AM
After the patch yesterday I was thinking about how Rogean mentioned he was sorry for doing a patch during peak hours. All I can think to myself is, how do you owe us an apology? A patch during peak times is the best thing to happen for those of us in non "super" guilds in a long time. We were actually able to engage (and even kill!) a few spawns before every single raid named was completely wiped out. I think even for those small guilds out there who attempted some kills but failed, were probably still satisfied that they were even given the opportunity. This high end tier of raiding is generally experienced only by a small fraction of players on the server (which I think is a bad thing) and so seeing folks who don't fit under this generalization succeed in claiming and defeating these spawns is not only exciting but really makes our time spent on Project 1999 much more enjoyable. So I do not accept your apology and instead thank you for it.

(of course insert long responses about how variance and raid spawn timers etc etc need to be changed etc etc need more patches etc etc resets every week etc etc blah blah)

Thanks!

Swish
09-19-2012, 11:42 AM
We play for free (and donate if we want), I don't think an apology is necessary - if anything there's way less downtime than there was on live around this period :)

Rogean
09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Your post has reminded me of a suggestion nilbog had forwarded and discussed with me not too long ago, similar to simulated patch day respawns.. Would be nice if we could put a system in place so that those guilds get more chances at mobs that spawn during peak times.

Alarti0001
09-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Your post has reminded me of a suggestion nilbog had forwarded and discussed with me not too long ago, similar to simulated patch day respawns.. Would be nice if we could put a system in place so that those guilds get more chances at mobs that spawn during peak times.

Rogean
09-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Silly Alarti, that post was meant for the smaller guilds! :D

Rkahor
09-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Multiple Insults Removed

I did all the trolling for everyone,
You're welcome

I figure this would eventually turn into what every other thread does
so no one can say anything now!

bizzum
09-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I'll troll you Rkahor.

IT'S YOU'RE

Rogean
09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Multiple Insults Removed

I did all the trolling for everyone,
You're welcome

I figure this would eventually turn into what every other thread does
so no one can say anything now!

Except this isn't the place for that, we are not in RnF.

Rkahor
09-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Got a ninja edit in before YOUR post

Except this isn't the place for that, we are not in RnF.

Ya, but we all know thats where every server chat thread comes too
Just get it all out of the way

godbox
09-19-2012, 12:03 PM
please please please implement whatever different system might possibly even slightly increase casual raiders chances =)

Hailto
09-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I completely agree, i actually SAW A DRAGON, that makes me happy, even though we didn't get the kill, its better than what its like for every other guild besides TMO/BDA 99 percent of the time.

Im still waiting for the day that one of these guilds sees a smaller guild staging ahead of them and just says "wait guys, lets give these guys a shot first, just for the hell of it", maybe that day will come, maybe.

Heebo
09-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Silly Alarti, that post was meant for the smaller guilds! :D

Why does it have to be one or the other? As far as I know from the people I've chatted with EVERY guild would prefer patch day respawns to 96 hour variances.

Sweetbaby Jesus
09-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Your post has reminded me of a suggestion nilbog had forwarded and discussed with me not too long ago, similar to simulated patch day respawns.. Would be nice if we could put a system in place so that those guilds get more chances at mobs that spawn during peak times. My heart skipped a beat when I saw this. Very exciting to know things might be in the works to make end game possible for casuals.

Lagaidh
09-19-2012, 01:14 PM
My heart skipped a beat when I saw this. Very exciting to know things might be in the works to make end game possible for casuals.

It is encouraging to see staff recognition of this notion. I've personally had no dog in the raid scene fight, but each time simulated patching has been brought up... I couldn't objectively argue against it.

Slave
09-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Rogean, the trouble with the variance issue is you've been dangling the change over our heads for months and there is still no progress while the huge population bubble that began with Full Circle has come, well, full circle, and are now ready for the endgame. Yet, there is no long-promised update to the system awaiting them, only pain.

You went ahead with petclass nerfs because they are nonclassic, with 90% of the population uncaring or against such a change, but nonclassic Variance remains, and is a problem for most people who reach endgame. I am now BEGGING someone to prioritize this so that the server doesn't lose another chunk of players.

Kope
09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Im still waiting for the day that one of these guilds sees a smaller guild staging ahead of them and just says "wait guys, lets give these guys a shot first, just for the hell of it", maybe that day will come, maybe.

TMO did used to do this. I forget what it was called, they would allow a raid target up for a certain amount of time, of course this was durring the time VD was around.

Also while TMO was on a raid break BDA allowed other guilds shots at raid targets, almost a blanket call too.

It's unfortunate this fell away but human nature is to give competition precedence over generosity.

Sweetbaby Jesus
09-19-2012, 02:56 PM
TMO did used to do this. I forget what it was called, they would allow a raid target up for a certain amount of time, of course this was durring the time VD was around. The endangered species of the week. And VD still needed those targets. TMO just didn't want them to have anything due to the VP memblurr charade among otherthings.

Orruar
09-19-2012, 03:17 PM
The Sleeper server will have some sort of raid points thing where guilds can spawn highly contested mobs so that it doesn't become a massive poopsock / stay up for 2 days straight hoping for a spawn type of thing. Perhaps something similar here would greatly improve this server. Sure it's not classic, but this server has done plenty of non classic things considered improvements.

Rogean
09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Rogean, the trouble with the variance issue is you've been dangling the change over our heads for months and there is still no progress while the huge population bubble that began with Full Circle has come, well, full circle, and are now ready for the endgame. Yet, there is no long-promised update to the system awaiting them, only pain.

You went ahead with petclass nerfs because they are nonclassic, with 90% of the population uncaring or against such a change, but nonclassic Variance remains, and is a problem for most people who reach endgame. I am now BEGGING someone to prioritize this so that the server doesn't lose another chunk of players.

First of all, please show me where I EVER posted promising a change to the current spawn system. You won't find it. Discussions of said systems does not constitude automatic change incoming.

Second off, we are not an organization. I don't tell the coders what they can and can't work on. They work at will on what they can, when they can. Kanras usually focuses on classical changes like that, while I have been focusing on backend processes for better server stability and support.

Third off, I have been GONE for quite a while and just now recently got back. I made it no secret what I'm working on at the moment (A new petition system and better CSR utilities so that we can get rid of the <s>black hole</s> petition forum.). For you to ridicule me for not getting what YOU want done when I haven't been around is absurd, you don't dictate my work focus.

If the goal of your post was to sway our priority to the spawn system, you failed that miserably.

Rogean
09-19-2012, 03:50 PM
The Sleeper server will have some sort of raid points thing where guilds can spawn highly contested mobs so that it doesn't become a massive poopsock / stay up for 2 days straight hoping for a spawn type of thing. Perhaps something similar here would greatly improve this server. Sure it's not classic, but this server has done plenty of non classic things considered improvements.

I'd rather not directly copy or even reference any intended spawn mechanism for a server that isn't even out of beta yet, nor am I interested in creating any wars between them and us.

Rooj
09-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Damnit, don't piss Rogean off in my thread, you jerks. >8Œ

Kexon
09-19-2012, 03:56 PM

I'm going to speak for Full Circle here , well because im the gl and I'm supposed to speak for Full Circle , and this would be a great thing for us .

Last night we did get a chance to attempt talendor , it didn't work out , and honestly it's our own fault , we didn't react fast enough , and honestly that experience is classic . We did learn from the experience , and we do appreciate having the opportunity .

TMO , and BDA for that matter handled the situation well . Honestly , a TMO member informed me that they kited and hopschotched to CT and that fear was nearly fully spawned and we had a pretty good night as a result . I appreciate the heads up from them and consider it gracious of them to say somethng to us . Both TMO and BDA have alway been resonably supportive of us , and if they want to sit back and let us attempt something new thats on thier farm list, then great , but if we can't muster in time , and we had plenty or time , then I appreciate the help they did offer .

I do think that a simulated patch day with respawns would help both sides of the spectrum . I think it would give guilds like Full Circle a chance at some bigger targets , and I think that it would allow the bigger guilds an opportunity to let a few go and still keep thier members happy .

Slave
09-19-2012, 04:48 PM
First of all, please show me where I EVER posted promising a change to the current spawn system. You won't find it. Discussions of said systems does not constitude automatic change incoming.

Second off, we are not an organization. I don't tell the coders what they can and can't work on. They work at will on what they can, when they can. Kanras usually focuses on classical changes like that, while I have been focusing on backend processes for better server stability and support.

Third off, I have been GONE for quite a while and just now recently got back. I made it no secret what I'm working on at the moment (A new petition system and better CSR utilities so that we can get rid of the <s>black hole</s> petition forum.). For you to ridicule me for not getting what YOU want done when I haven't been around is absurd, you don't dictate my work focus.

If the goal of your post was to sway our priority to the spawn system, you failed that miserably.

Rogean, please read my post again. And then read the hundreds of other posts that have been addressed toward the removal of variance and the raid scene. I am not ridiculing you, I am begging you. You must have seen the many other threads regarding this, and know how rare it is to see the population in practically full accord.

We just don't want the huge new raid population to have to endure the cockblock that is the tragic result of the (unClassically altered) mechanics now, and mostly quit.

Orruar
09-19-2012, 05:07 PM
I'd rather not directly copy or even reference any intended spawn mechanism for a server that isn't even out of beta yet, nor am I interested in creating any wars between them and us.

Yeah, not trying to start any fights between the two servers. I was just throwing out an idea of a way to help make the raid game enjoyable for the vast majority of players. Certainly the people whose only joy in life is to cockblock others will protest. Everyone wants to feel special and apparently being able to sit in VS room for 48 hours straight is one way of achieving that feeling.

Rogean
09-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Slave: Removing Variance is not an option, anyone that's been around this server since before it was implemented can tell you why. And it certainly will not alleviate the dominance of top guilds over the rest of them.. it will make matters worse, only it will be a clusterfuck for the staff as well.

Lazortag
09-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Slave: Removing Variance is not an option, anyone that's been around this server since before it was implemented can tell you why. And it certainly will not alleviate the dominance of top guilds over the rest of them.. it will make matters worse, only it will be a clusterfuck for the staff as well.

What about making the variance shorter instead of getting rid of it entirely? Will that ever be considered? I don't think it's healthy for a person to sit at a computer for 96 hours straight for a chance at killing a dragon in a video game. Surely there has to be a better way to maximize competition that doesn't effectively bar casual guilds from raiding.

edit: also, the above is just a suggestion, not a complaint or a demand.

Vianna
09-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Vianna here cleric in Full Circle. Never had a problem with TMO or BDA taking anything we wanted to attempt from us as far as raiding goes. On the contrary... on several occasions both guilds have given us an opportunity when they could have stepped over us. Members from both sides have been very helpful when I send tells to ask about certain things we as a guild were looking to do on many occasions. Like Kexon pointed on the occasions where the larger guilds ended up killing the target we were aiming at...It usually happened after we had plenty of time to get people to the target for a shot at a target. I definitely haven't seen a situation where we were blocked by anyone but ourselves for not being ready.

Kexon
09-19-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't think removing the variance is really a good idea but really haven't given it much thought , and probably won't , however , Nilbogs suggestion as stated by Rogean , would be a good thing in my opinion . But honestly either way , I'll deal with it and adapt , we will continue to progress ....Really when velious goes live a lot of the raiding scene will open up , it did in live , I imagine it will here too . There's just more options , the faction game , a lot changes in the end game dynamic . I dont see a point in making anyone on the staff prematurely bald over any of this .

SirAlvarex
09-19-2012, 06:27 PM

While I understand the idea of a monopoly, but I'm curious what case have we as players not considered when it comes to a smaller various with simulated repops?

I know no variance means that a guild who kills a mob will know *exactly* when it will spawn. But for the most part the smaller guilds get a +/- 3 hour idea of when a target was killed. If the variance was lessened, it might help the strain of tracking, but I agree it wouldn't prevent larger guilds from dominating.

But with the repops, that gives one day where it would be impossible to dominate all the spawns in a reasonable manner. Maybe after awhile a guild like TMO will have "rotations" of a sort to try and hit all the big mobs in a 1 hour window, but that would spread them really thin when Velious comes out.

I mean this seriously, and not as an attack, but what case have we not considered that you guys ran into that caused the variance to be put in?

SirAlvarex
09-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Oh and of course, thanks for the great server :)

I understand the strain you guys probably feel at times. At work we once had a client complain on our forums that the software didn't work and there were "30 outstanding defects", which were all features they requested to make their job even easier than we already made them. Peeps be fickle.

feanan
09-19-2012, 08:05 PM
The real problem is, during the real eq time line, expansions came out frequently enough that the top tier guilds always moved on, leaving the previous expansions mobs for the smaller guilds.

Now everyone is just sort of smushed at the top. I mean, if you are level 60, and aren't in TMO (and to a lesser extent bda, etc) what are you actually doing with your time? Not logging in at all, if my friends list is any indication.

So don't expect much to change here until velious hits, and the smaller guilds can move on to some of the current raid targets, cept for when bigger guilds come back for epic mobs.

Tasslehofp99
09-19-2012, 08:40 PM

Sounds intriguing.

webrunner5
09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
TMO and BDA are both big enough to cover Kunark and Velious, so I would say it will be same old thing after the new wears off in Velious. I mean you can't have half the guild on the same raid at one time. And there will always be new members join these guilds just to get the Kunark gear, so I see no change.

webrunner5
09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
The real problem is, during the real eq time line, expansions came out frequently enough that the top tier guilds always moved on, leaving the previous expansions mobs for the smaller guilds.

So don't expect much to change here until velious hits, and the smaller guilds can move on to some of the current raid targets, cept for when bigger guilds come back for epic mobs.

Well stated.

Jenithia
09-19-2012, 10:58 PM
After the patch yesterday I was thinking about how Rogean mentioned he was sorry for doing a patch during peak hours. All I can think to myself is, how do you owe us an apology? A patch during peak times is the best thing to happen for those of us in non "super" guilds in a long time. We were actually able to engage (and even kill!) a few spawns before every single raid named was completely wiped out. I think even for those small guilds out there who attempted some kills but failed, were probably still satisfied that they were even given the opportunity. This high end tier of raiding is generally experienced only by a small fraction of players on the server (which I think is a bad thing) and so seeing folks who don't fit under this generalization succeed in claiming and defeating these spawns is not only exciting but really makes our time spent on Project 1999 much more enjoyable. So I do not accept your apology and instead thank you for it.

(of course insert long responses about how variance and raid spawn timers etc etc need to be changed etc etc need more patches etc etc resets every week etc etc blah blah)

Thanks!

I wish there was a "like" button. Everyone should be able to enjoy this server, not just those of us in bigger guilds.

Knightt
09-19-2012, 11:03 PM
if ya want it go get it ............ pretty simple

Aicha
09-21-2012, 12:22 PM

FWIW BDA does do this. :)

achtung
09-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Now everyone is just sort of smushed at the top. I mean, if you are level 60, and aren't in TMO (and to a lesser extent bda, etc) what are you actually doing with your time? Not logging in at all, if my friends list is any indication.

This is the only answer.

Rooj
09-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Today was another fun-filled day of smaller guilds getting attempts at raid spawns :)

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Tasslehofp99
09-22-2012, 08:41 PM
lol dayum, I knew there was gonna be a repop!