PDA

View Full Version : There is a scam issue

Ambrotos
09-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Lately there have been people being trustful of handing over very valuable items to people they hardly know. In return these people are not giving the items back.

NEVER trust anyone to "hold" your items to give to another toon of yours UNLESS you know them. I don't mean " I met him the other day, he seemed cool as I buffed him in ec". A trusted guild member, or someone you personally know.

NEVER trust someone to "escrow" anything UNLESS you know them.

It is a huge pain in the ass to track these people down and ban them for scamming. I want to ban them since they are scum, but it's very time consuming and not the easiest thing in the world to track down.

Just don't do it.

orsk
09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
+1

godbox
09-19-2012, 12:09 PM
never trust an ec mule. only deal direct with the main

OngorDrakan
09-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Drunke, Licensed & Trusted Since 2010 for all your transfer needs ^.^

skorge
10-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Or even Account sales. It's 100% risk on you to do this. This is also why we don't endorse people selling their accounts.

This is tru. When I traded a few items to get my 60 necro, the guy stripped about 50-70k worth of items off of him before I could log him in (he took 3-4 tinkerer bags and some important resist gear/gebs/etc). Most of the time you can look at the forum name and tell whether or not u can trust them (is the account old and on good terms in the forum community?). The only thing u have to worry about, like in my case, are people who get forum account names from other people when they sell their accounts...that's where the trickery comes in.

Clark
10-05-2012, 11:11 AM
never trust an ec mule. only deal direct with the main

Great thread. Appreciate the hard work. Just the other day I did a red for blue trade, and was a little hestitant because it was the first time for me. Thankfully he was an honorable gentlemen. To those out there looking to scam, karma is real. :cool:

citizen1080
10-20-2012, 12:21 AM
I can't believe no one took over my niche when I left...I know i saved Uthgaard a lot of petitions due to trade scams lol. And made buckets of money while doing it.

GretchenRPH
11-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I was always happy to hold a bag for somebody, because it sucked to try to drop a bag behind a rock someplace and log an alt on in time hoping no one saw you. But, I'm still waiting for my titanium disc to arrive in the mail so I don't even know who I am ingame yet :)

I guess I would be more trusting of a high level offering. They probably don't need your altstuff as they should have ample funds on their own. But yeah, you take your risks.

Sauria, formerly of Order of Antondwer, Vazaelle server back in the day.

Randarn
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Um...Well I guess I contradict this entire post. lvl 15 warrior main. Located under T1 - apparently Bob's old spot? Shoot me a pm or tell in game if you ever need help with any consignment/escrow/xfer/price check/etc.

funhorroryes
12-13-2012, 07:57 AM
scamming item transfers bannable? is that classic?

Nips
12-13-2012, 11:11 PM
scamming item transfers bannable? is that classic?

Nah, they never suspended you or took your items but I think thats just because they were lazy

raitheon
03-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Xerker - Up coming 24 Mage - I hold items like a mofo.

let me know if I can help.

Sirken
03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Lately there have been people being trustful of handing over very valuable items to people they hardly know. In return these people are not giving the items back.

NEVER trust anyone to "hold" your items to give to another toon of yours UNLESS you know them. I don't mean " I met him the other day, he seemed cool as I buffed him in ec". A trusted guild member, or someone you personally know.

It is a huge pain in the ass to track these people down and ban them for scamming. I want to ban them since they are scum, but it's very time consuming and not the easiest thing in the world to track down.

Just don't do it.

Or even Account sales. It's 100% risk on you to do this. This is also why we don't endorse people selling their accounts.

bump

Solastramage
03-27-2013, 09:46 PM
I bought Bloodstained Mantle off this person thought I gave her the money cause it isnt in my inventory and I got it on an alt right there I could have given the money by accident to another person who was crammed right next to her I offered to give the Item back a guild member offered to pay her the money I think I tried my hardest to resolve the issue hope I dont get into trouble for this since I tried to resolve the problem like an adult

Reapin
06-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Seems like some people have so much plat they do not care. I had a guy hand me 3.5k for an item he wanted me to give to his rogue. I thought he was nuts.

Psyduck
07-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Just wanted to drop a quick note on this thread:

Back on classic, I remember being scammed two separate times, once for a fungi tunic. After both times of being scammed, I petitioned and eventually a GM would get back to me. What they said, and I believe this was the universal rule for trades back in classic was, "All trades are considered final."

Now, obviously I was quite unhappy with this response so while speaking with a GM about my stolen fungi tunic, he told me the intent of this rule was to make the world of Everquest more complete and singular, even to the extent of having its own laws.

Ajkuhuun
08-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Thankfully this never happened to me in live, I chalk that up to being a distrusting jerk :P Had heaps of people come up to me though and just hand me loads of items to transfer. Pretty sad that there's an increase in scams like this lately though, most of the P99 community I've met has been stellar.

Dragonmist
08-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Same i traded over 20K worth of Bags/Tradeskill supplies over for a guy on my 2nd day on the server heh...

citizen1080
08-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Trust me, I'm a doctor

Pringles
08-11-2013, 04:32 PM
nm i misread

ravenshade32
01-06-2014, 01:50 AM
Luckily the wife and I play EQ together so this will never be an issue :-)

beentheredonethat
02-17-2014, 11:37 PM
This brings a business idea. I should play my Iksar as a server Escrow company. Unless some NPC can fulfill the function. My fees will be 1% of the transaction (from the seller) with a minimum of 10P. :)

Message Lizarus if you need Escrow services.

Dreadwynn
02-19-2014, 01:49 PM
I handed over 6k to a well known scammer when I first started. Ask that he give the item to my main, I come back and he stayed on, just flat out told me he scammed me. After looking he was a very popular scammer on the server. I learned my lesson right then. Even if its a 1000+ player server and a tight knit community, does not mean everyone is good. Keep an eye out for Dundor if he hasn't already been banned.

Erica
03-10-2014, 09:20 PM
You can trust me (Karmina in game). I'm too nice to scam. ;)

new player
05-22-2014, 05:37 PM
People with wives and children scamming pixels. What a shame :(

Jardaor
06-13-2014, 04:47 PM
I guess some things never change. This really is like 1999, complete with the trade scams!

Zalus
09-17-2014, 08:19 PM
I hate having to drop things in the middle of nowhere for alts. If anyone needs a transfer, I am usually on my druid, Fleck. I don't mind porting somewhere to deliver. I have no life.

Opalmoon
11-29-2014, 11:45 PM
I used to play middle man for trades in ec tunnel back in day lol ...if I am on be happy to trade for anyone :)

Seliant
11-30-2014, 11:51 AM
this is not the first time that it happends... and wont be the last, why dont GM do a shared bank 1 slot would be great per account? thats the best way to avoid the stupid people that in this server are waiting to see someone asking for help for trades... just an opinion, other case is that you want to do something about it

schnickusaurus
12-02-2014, 12:02 PM
well shared bank slot would only destroy the game im afraid

I remember when I sold a Fungi tunic for 77k (to try buy it back for cheaper after awhile), the buyer @ 77k would actually trust me to hand me 44k from his mule, to eventually complete the buy with 33k from his char that needed the tunic. Its amasing how people trust a nasty salesman like me with this big cash :S but he was very lucky not to do the trade with a scammer lol.. 44k, imagine to lose that :S omg

The worst thing ive done in EQ is probably when I saw a named goblin corpse in frontier mountain and looted a totem from that corpse. Some minute later the druid that had killed that corpse and wanted the totem for another char (totem is lore) sent me a tell the loot should be his, we struggled abit but eventually after 5-10 minutes i gave the totem to him. I still have bad concience for looting it in the first place. But I guess i feel alright about it now since I know I gave it back relatively quick after the incident occurred. But my point is, the situation makes the thief so to speak. I understand why GMs forbid account trading, since the situations simply make the theft, even good people, like i consider myself, can sometimes be "thrilled by seeing a free corpse alone on the ground" and loot its items quickly in hope noone notice. But ya, scamming is slightly worse i guess =P its like simply ripping someone off right in front of them. Good thing is i got my rl brother in game too so whenever i need to buy a big item for my alts, say Fungi tunic, I can ask him for a plats transfer :D

Ive done loads of transfers in ec tunnel, probably because I dont use mules but my same Schnicky char everytime I sell my shit :p Ppl start to trust me now ... haha well you shouldnt, especially not with Fungi cash!!!

Menobank
12-02-2014, 12:10 PM
speaking of fungi where's the one you where gonna loan me Schnic! <Bonecollector> :P

raka
12-27-2014, 12:03 AM

Just don't do it.

Trust bonk. If u need transfer, trust bonk. Its an elf game.
Hope everyone had a great christmas!
The interview was funny!

A1rh3ad
10-12-2016, 01:36 AM
Luckily my wife plays with me. I'm not going to have problems transfering at all. The other day she helped me haul my pelts to peddle at the tunnel. I tried carrying them myself but I was moving slower than a crawl. She's always been there for me on diablo. I love her so much :)

nickbroken
04-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Any chance anyone is on now that is free for a trade? Literally haven't played in years, but I got the fever and need to get my bard going!

Tunabros
01-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Just be a good person and one day the same will happen back to you

nothingiscool
01-26-2019, 05:34 PM
I made a post but haven't seen it show up yet. I have been doing transfers for folks in EC tunnel the last 2 weeks. It's hard without a reputation, but have had a good amount actually work with me and everyone has been very thankful.

My characters name is GENER, and if you see me in EC tunnel (Barb Shaman with the torch in his hand) feel free to use my services! I advertise in /ooc and offer no fee's (but tips are always appreciated!).

Hoping to get some good feedback on here so more folks feel safe going with me. I know how tough it is to do a transfer when you don't know many people in game, and am always happy to help!

Cheers,

Gener

shaunyboyo
02-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Shared bank would help...aint exactly game breaking.

Divinedsoul
04-16-2020, 04:49 PM
Great thread. Appreciate the hard work. Just the other day I did a red for blue trade, and was a little hestitant because it was the first time for me. Thankfully he was an honorable gentlemen. To those out there looking to scam, karma is real. :cool:

I asked on discord about trading some gear on green for something on blue and they said it was against rules. How could u trade from red to blue? Hehe.

Naerron
05-09-2020, 10:40 PM
check the post date, it wasn't a rule at a first. You also used to be able to sell accounts for plat

Sodapop
07-25-2020, 03:52 AM
bump

Are account sales allowed again?

Roks86
05-23-2021, 03:07 PM
Shared bank would help...aint exactly game breaking.

I do miss this feature.

ivonkstronji91
05-10-2022, 08:36 AM
As a backpacker, I was always happy to hold somebody's bag for them because it sucked trying drop your pack behind something and then log off before anybody noticed you were gone. But now that my titanium disc has arrived in the mail - guess who doesn't even know how much weight they've got on their character?!