PDA

View Full Version : pets and zoning

rikustrength
05-28-2010, 05:29 AM
So, my friend is rolling a chanter with me (a druid, we figure we'll never want sow or clarity). Anyway, I'm noticing that his pet doesn't zone. Now, I KNOW that classic was like this, pets never zoned. Is this here to stay? Because if you ask me, this really should be one of those little things that we as a community just overlook for the sake of convenience... There are plenty of other things that are more updated. The only thing this is accomplishing is causing people to waste reagents and mana, which is really harsh at lower levels...

Ultimately, I'm a druid and it has little bearing on me, but I really do think this is one thing we would be better off with.

Lill-Leif
05-28-2010, 05:45 AM
The only thing this is accomplishing is causing people to waste reagents and mana

It also stimulates the bone chips market. The more necros waste reagents the more they will buy from newbies collecting bone chips for those crucial first pieces of platinum.

And hey, it's classic :)

rikustrength
05-28-2010, 05:52 AM
^
Ironically, thats the same thing my enchanter friend said.

Vonblund
05-28-2010, 07:37 AM
yes let them newbie make a few pp on bone chips... bat wings are gone already so that's something at least

km2783
05-28-2010, 10:42 AM
I want to say this was patched out at some point, but I think it was after Luclin launched.

Malrubius
05-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Pets zoning was definitely post-Luclin, so the current functionality is here to stay.

If pets DID zone with you now, then it would be on their list of stuff to fix.

km2783
05-28-2010, 11:12 AM
It was a lot more convenient, but definitely keeps Mages and Necros on their toes if they're travelling several zones away solo and don't want to waste mats.

As for Enchanters, I haven't bought the pet spell since lvl 4 I think, despite going to Highpass several times, now. I hate a non-controlled pet.

guineapig
05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Dude, pets not zoning was even around post PoP. The exception was the AA ability to suspend your pets, which Mages had (and I don't know who else).

You can forget about that being changed here.

km2783
05-28-2010, 11:37 AM
July 14th, 2004.

Kainzo
05-28-2010, 11:41 AM
July 14th, 2004.

Yep - won't be in on this server unless they have plans to add Luclin.

guineapig
05-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Yep - won't be in on this server unless they have plans to add Luclin.

That's more like Gates of Discord (Feb. 04) / Omens of War (Sept. 04) era.

Kainzo
05-28-2010, 11:57 AM
That's more like Gates of Discord (Feb. 04) / Omens of War (Sept. 04) era.

in the assumption that they do patch in Luclin - it wouldnt be a classic only server anymore - in which case - GoD would be an option.

guineapig
05-28-2010, 12:00 PM
in the assumption that they do patch in Luclin - it wouldnt be a classic only server anymore - in which case - GoD would be an option.

Now I get what you were saying.
So basically the answer to the OP's question is a big NO.

Sorry meng.

Omnimorph
05-28-2010, 12:10 PM
It's not a massive deal, reagents are cheap for pets. Sure it's an inconvenience, but then so's running the length of a continent instead of going via PoK ;P

in 1999 we like inconveniences!! it keeps our attention away from the impending doomsday of Y2k.

Branaddar
05-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Yup, we're stuck with guilds having to pass out 'dots for cleric buffs and opals (pearls?) for CotH mages.

Ah well, it makes for an economy where money gets put back into the datastream void at a higher rate, leading to (hopefully) a less inflation-happy economy.

Tallenn
05-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Pet classes have gained a few conveniences over the years on live, such as being able to keep their pet through zoning, and now even through logging out.

What a lot of people tend to forget is that they have also lost a few things as far as pet effectiveness. Pets on live nowadays aren't anywhere near the monsters they were in classic, or on P99 (speaking mainly of mage pets, but other class pets have suffered nerfs, as well).

Are you guys willing to do a quid pro quo?

Leokaiser
05-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I have no problem with pets not zoning as per Classic, but losing them when your connection keeps crapping out remains a pain in the balls! But yeah, if you are a pet class, having to resummon and burn reagents is a small tradeoff for being OP.

Kluren
05-28-2010, 05:20 PM
*in my opinion*

The closer this project remains to Verant's Classic Everquest the closer we will be to the epic experience we all knew.

Haynar
05-28-2010, 06:00 PM
*in my opinion*

The closer this project remains to Verant's Classic Everquest the closer we will be to the epic experience we all knew.
We really do try. There are a lot of things, limited by the client. And there are some things that were bugs and very unbalancing, that we will not implement. And there are some things, that were bugs, that have more of a "classic" feeling, that we will implement (if we can).

And then there is bad memory, no documentation, and our best guesses.

Then there is everything else.

Haynar

Thorjorkill
05-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Bat wings for levi are gone? wha?

rikustrength
05-28-2010, 11:45 PM
^
its hearing things like that, and then being told "but it's classic" that really just do baffle me.

I also remain confused as to why some people say "well, since such and such came with PoP or SoL, then we will never see it in p99". Things that pretty much unquestionably make the game better shouldn't be much of a question, at least not in the long run. And it also isn't a question of having to enable an entire expansion just because we like one thing that was in it. We can take small bits an dpieces of things that made the game better, here and there. We already do.

Granted, like I said before this isn't a big gripe of mine. I'm not the one on the enc.

Oh, and to everyone suggesting this helps lowbies make more money, just let all the pets except necro pets zone. Problem solved. :P

Ropethunder
05-29-2010, 01:10 AM
I don't agree with pets zoning (as nice as it would be), but I would like pets to survive going link dead for 30 minutes like no rent items do. Zone crashes, power surges, lockups, and internet hiccups aren't under our control and can lead to an untimely death when going LD in a hostile area.

Thrymm
05-29-2010, 02:36 AM
First time I hit "hide" with a pet and it went poof, I was surprised. I was medding up and hitting sense heading for shits and giggles but hit hide. Then remembered pets did not zone with you, did not stick around going invis/hide. A minor pet peeve overcome (no pun), easily can get bone chips off players or kill a few decay/norm skeles.

:)

eqdruid76
05-29-2010, 04:58 AM
^
its hearing things like that, and then being told "but it's classic" that really just do baffle me.

I also remain confused as to why some people say "well, since such and such came with PoP or SoL, then we will never see it in p99". Things that pretty much unquestionably make the game better shouldn't be much of a question, at least not in the long run. And it also isn't a question of having to enable an entire expansion just because we like one thing that was in it. We can take small bits an dpieces of things that made the game better, here and there. We already do.

Granted, like I said before this isn't a big gripe of mine. I'm not the one on the enc.

Oh, and to everyone suggesting this helps lowbies make more money, just let all the pets except necro pets zone. Problem solved. :P

If you're so damned hellbent on a convenient experience, get off the freaking server meant to emulate the game BEFORE there was "convenience" of any kind....

PEQ is that way =====> This is Project1999, where pets don't zone...

rikustrength
05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
^
I'm just talking about it. I'm not making any kind of demmand or complaining unreasonably, at least I didn't think I was. I was just commenting on my opinion. I understand WHY it's the way it is. I'm not even saying ALL things that make it more convenient should be in, personally I want day/night back. Let those humans be blind. I was just making conversation, and I didn't think I said anything to deserve that kind of response. We're all just here to have a good time and enjoy ourselves. Please lrn2manners.