PDA

View Full Version : is it against the rules to.

Vaut420
09-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Have my brother group with me before he goes to bed and i kill things while he sleeps?

Atennu
09-25-2012, 04:57 AM
its sketchy as fuck, afaik if a gm checks to see if you're boxing and you say the other party is afk /sleeping used to be a ban.

On the same IP that is. It shouldnt be if its two different houses

Vaut420
09-25-2012, 05:01 AM
same house, 2 different computers. if were both leveling together and he has a bedtime because of work i'll out level him :/

Tarathiel
09-25-2012, 05:09 AM
i mean if he is just afk leeching xp i dont see a problem, but if you were to use him to port u guys or buff u up then that is most definitely boxxing... treading murky waters here

Vaut420
09-25-2012, 05:14 AM
indeed. Wish Rogean would pop in and give the 411 on this.

Swish
09-25-2012, 05:30 AM
If Rogean gave the nod to this I'd be extremely surprised, don't risk getting banned for the sake of your "brother"...even if it's legit it'll still look like boxing and you probably don't want to have to start again.

Vaut420
09-25-2012, 05:47 AM
alrighty, thanks.

Silo69
09-25-2012, 06:07 AM
oh... how everquest hasnt changed.... "my little brother"

1 ip, 2 accounts, 1 is afk, the other is "lvling" while the afk char randomly buffs the other account.... even if u use your "afk" brother to loot items, or even "hold" loot because your bags are full.

Thats boxing...

Silo69
09-25-2012, 06:08 AM
rogean should imho, flag this account and keep an "eye" on your brother for you, smells like hes up to no good.

Vaut420
09-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Lol, so because i asked a question if it was okay to level my brother while hes asleep im a boxing. Good thing your opinion doesn't mean much. Flag our accounts, he wont see anything unusual. Was just wondering if i would get in trouble for leveling his char while he isn't behind the computer. Honestly what do you really have to do when a bard is swarm kiting? sit there and look pretty... if i were boxing why would i draw attention to myself by asking..

Tecmos Deception
09-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Two characters being played from the same IP, where one of them is active and the other one is just sitting there afk... that IS unusual.

Waedawen
09-25-2012, 08:00 AM
You people are acting insane. Checked periodically, one would see if the brother existed at all or not.

My guess is that more often than not, when you talked to them, they'd actually really be two different people.

Until the brother bard starts swarm kiting and the other brother goes and makes food for the both of them.

Briscoe
09-25-2012, 08:20 AM
At worst, you could potentially be two-boxing, and at best, your brother is AFK-leveling. That's why you're getting negative responses.

Vaut420
09-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Two characters being played from the same IP, where one of them is active and the other one is just sitting there afk... that IS unusual.

it's unusual? seems logical to me. he has a job, i don't. i play alot more than he does... when you're killing 30+ mobs in a single pull i would shoot past him in a few pulls... but him leaving his toon to get massive exp while he is busy would keep us both the same level.. wouldn't touch his computer, the character would be inactive, the druid is level 15, and the bard is 20.... boxing a druid wouldn't help the bard at all...the druid really doesnt benefit the bard at all.. buffs?sow? heals? as for buffs a level 15 druid's skin like rock is completely beast mode and allows for massive tanking....xD as for sow the bard has jboots... and heals.. well one mistake with a 30mob train and there would be no time for me to run to the other pc and heal the bard while trying to kite the train at the same time...

Tecmos Deception
09-25-2012, 08:39 AM
I understand the situation, and, believe it or not, how bards and druids and AE kiting work.

By freaking definition, though, what you're doing is unusual. It's not like this is happening in 5 or 10 different spots on the server at any given time so that you can label it "usual" or "normal" or "commonplace," now is it?

And more to the point, what you're doing and asking about just LOOKS suspicious. This isn't Mayberry. It's the freaking p99 forums. You can't honestly be surprised when people are skeptical about your situation.

If you're so convinced that what you're doing is ok, then why are you here asking about it? If you're unsure that what you're doing is ok, then why are you so surprised that other people think it's sketchy too?

Vandy
09-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Not allowed to box?? Not classic ! when they gonna change this since they took my compass... lol

If you want to remain similar levels, your best bet is to play your toon up a few lvls while he is asleep and then log off and log on his toon and play catchup with it. It will be slower yes but at least you won't get banned this way.

Safon
09-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Warning: Potential boxer detected

Account flagged as a priority 2 threat
Forum account penalized with public suspicion and disapproval

Continuing to monitor situation

Kraftwerk
09-25-2012, 08:53 AM
... if i were boxing why would i draw attention to myself by asking..

Some sort of double, possibly triple bluff.

Vicatin
09-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Some sort of double, possibly triple bluff.

So you're saying hes possibly 3 boxing?

We're watching you maggot!

Heh heh

Arkanjil
09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
As long as the other player remains completely AFK during the time, it should be fine. Expect to be tested. Ive done it with a buddy of mine before. He in Seattle and I'm in Colorado, he would log my char in and sit him afk while I killed stuff on another char. Risky because of trains etc, but be smart about where the other char afks.

webrunner5
09-25-2012, 09:42 AM
You have opened up your asshole pretty big time even bringing it up in a thread bro. Better turn off your "Brothers" comp if he is not there.You are asking for a ban.

Nlaar
09-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Get a job. Problem solved.

Silo69
09-25-2012, 11:46 AM
You are new to this server, and you already have jboots at 20?

your brother is a druid, and your a bard?

what benefits does a druid have for a bard omg dont 2box gods

ur still 2boxing

your gonna sow your bard with non existant jboots, heal you when your having a bad pull, maybe if you get lazy your gonna snare a mob or 2 and kite it

"my little brother"

even using your brother to port both your toons while hes asleep is boxing

using 2 accounts with 1 player inactive is boxing

so many " my gf my wife my brother my dog plays eq" a few boxers i hope this one gets busted with his ignorance

Slave
09-25-2012, 12:09 PM
If you want to remain similar levels, your best bet is to play your toon up a few lvls while he is asleep and then log off and log on his toon and play catchup with it. It will be slower yes but at least you won't get banned this way.

This seems to me to be the most reasonable suggestion in the thread.

Dantes
09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
You live with your brother and you are unemployed? Do you pay rent? How about you play your brother's character while he's sleeping, since he's paying the bills.

Itap
09-25-2012, 12:25 PM

ur still 2boxing

your gonna sow your bard with non existant jboots, heal you when your having a bad pull, maybe if you get lazy your gonna snare a mob or 2 and kite it

"my little brother"

so many " my gf my wife my brother my dog plays eq" a few boxers i hope this one gets busted with his ignorance

OP might be boxing, but you sound like a giant faggot

Protagonist
09-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Ignore all these dumb shits and ask staff directly. Another thing, stay away from the forums ... they're fucked.

Safon
09-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Ignore all these dumb shits and ask staff directly. Another thing, stay away from the forums ... they're fucked.

Cheater confirmed

Nagash
09-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Have my brother group with me before he goes to bed and i kill things while he sleeps?

Illegal as others have indicated, the only reaction you'd have from Rogean if he sees you will be to ban both your accounts and go crack a beer open with a smile.

Nagash

Autotune
09-25-2012, 01:15 PM
just log both toons on the same computer and box you and your brother to victory. There is absolutely no way they can tell you are doing it.

Don't fall for the scare tactics young two-boxer.

Silo69
09-25-2012, 01:17 PM

im a giant "faggot"?

your guild name is asgard....

say it with me slowly.... "assssss guard"

homophobic protection?

what are you scared of broski? obv mad

Swish
09-25-2012, 07:48 PM
im a giant "faggot"?

homophobic protection?

https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/9/14/WbhU6NKnKEmTt2ROAg6JyQ2.gif

jarshale
09-25-2012, 08:43 PM
im a giant "faggot"?

homophobic protection?

...lol.

kotton05
09-25-2012, 08:46 PM
im a giant "faggot"?

homophobic protection?

i can't imagine your homosexual awareness is normal... sounds like you wanna come out of the closet... lol

Silo69
09-25-2012, 10:33 PM

page 4 is dedicated to my response to this ^^^

Vaut420
09-25-2012, 11:37 PM

ur still 2boxing

"my little brother"

silo , please get out of my ass i never said i was new.... Not sure what your problem is, for the last time im not boxing. hope all you want i havent afk exp'd i asked before i tried it >_<. and my dog is a veteran player.
"your gonna sow your bard with non existant jboots."
Right.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg43/vaut420/EQ000023.jpg

Ambrotos
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
I would personally check it out and see if you are 2boxing. Then I would just kick the other account off line.

Vaut420
09-25-2012, 11:42 PM
If i had known this thread would have generated people bashing one another i wouldnt have asked lol. forgive me, it seems like a great idea to level both toons while my brother is afk. and i didnt want to make a petition asking because they have better things to deal with, figured one of the admins might have seen the post and said something about it.
Lot's of trolls here working their +1's.... thanks to everyone else who gave me advice.

Vaut420
09-25-2012, 11:43 PM
I would personally check it out and see if you are 2boxing. Then I would just kick the other account off line.

=) i will just level my bard some and then work his druid while hes at work. thank you.

Silo69
09-26-2012, 03:02 AM
=) i will just level my bard some and then work his druid while hes at work. thank you.

I can respect that.

oddibemcd
09-26-2012, 03:15 AM
It isn't technically 2-boxing if your brother logs on, goes afk and you don't have any action with his character. Of course, it will look awfully suspicious to any GM that comes along.

kylok
09-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Bump for a reasonable question by the OP. Why's everyone so hostile? lol

Slave
09-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Wait, what? Have the penalties changed? Or are you saying that AFK leveling is not allowed through grouping even though someone bites the bullet for it? I am pretty sure that either one of these sets a precedent.

orsk
09-26-2012, 12:34 PM
This is an EASY fix you need to live stream anytime you and your brother plays when he goes to work you still play but keep stream on so people can watch if you go to his pc and do stuff on his character. I will watch for you

Droog007
09-26-2012, 12:39 PM
The funny part is that when you ask people what's wrong with 2-boxing, invariably the reply is: "it destroys community". And then those who are most vocal against it will tear you a new anus on the board...

Safon
09-26-2012, 12:45 PM
The funny part is that when you ask people what's wrong with 2-boxing, invariably the reply is: "it destroys community". And then those who are most vocal against it will tear you a new anus on the board...

Death to boxers

Soleryn
09-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Just from my personal experience, my RL friends (I have 2 left that play) and I have done this type of thing on P99 numerous times, where one of us logs on and levels the other in a group while they are AFK, and to be honest I don't see how that could be against the rules. I thought the rule was one player per character in game and if they are going to start kicking people off for being AFK at a camp then they will just create a lot of extra police work for themselves. Granted, my friends and I are logged on at different houses, but we have NEVER had anyone accuse us of boxing and never had a run in with a GM about it. If they checked us out, they never asked me or my friends about it as we talked about this thread last night on voice. If one character is sitting there not doing anything where's the suspicion?

If someone wants to sit there and watch us and wait to blow the whistle, that's fine by me if that's how they choose to waste their time, but it's never happened. Most likely on this server if you are genuinely not boxing then you'll be fine, unless you're on a highly coveted camp and someone is butthurt that you're there. But you don't have to be grouped up with someone AFK for that to happen. On this server they accuse people of anything for sport. Just take it in stride and go about your business. Don't play in to the antagonist. Worse comes to the worse a GM will come and talk to you.

Moral of the story: don't 2-box and you won't get in trouble for 2-boxing. And I would think if you're aren't controlling your friends character in any way then you will be okay.

Nordenwatch
09-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Here's an interesting scenario: is it still not against the rules if the player who is AFK is a bard and leaves the mana or hp song on when they leave? Technically this is not two boxing, but since the player who is grouped with the bard is benefiting is it now MORE against the rules? Where's the line?

Silo69
09-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Here's an interesting scenario: is it still not against the rules if the player who is AFK is a bard and leaves the mana or hp song on when they leave? Technically this is not two boxing, but since the player who is grouped with the bard is benefiting is it now MORE against the rules? Where's the line?

the fact that the other account is local to the player whos playing in game

int he heat of battle its not hard to "accidently" play god, and toss a heal, a buff, anything that a single played hero dosent have

that makes it unfair, 2 boxing is unfair

you have more resources at your disposal

end of /where the line in the sand is drawn

Ambrotos
09-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Wait, what? Have the penalties changed? Or are you saying that AFK leveling is not allowed through grouping even though someone bites the bullet for it? I am pretty sure that either one of these sets a precedent.

No I would warn them and kick them to desktop. It's the same as afk pet campers. Anything after the first warning then we can do something more about it.

Droog007
09-27-2012, 02:11 PM
It's the same as afk pet campers.

I'm looking on the site for a complete list of rules, but all I'm seeing is basic stuff like, "Don't use more than one client", "don't exploit bugs", "if you're somehow gaining exp/loot with no risk, it's wrong". Where is it written that a pet class can't go AFK leaving their aggressive pet to fend for them both? It's not as though it's without risk - it's just lazy.

I'm really just wanting to protect myself from myself here... For instance, shortly after starting the game, I logged in my wife's character to give her the banded armor I made for her because I didn't want to carry it (too heavy) and my bank was full. Later I realized that it's not just wrong to two-box (like actually grind/camp while controlling two or more characters), but yes - it's really and truly preferable for you to transfer stuff by dropping it on the ground or giving it to a stranger... (yikes!)

Am I missing a document somewhere??

Edit: Found Rogean's post (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2651) that included more details about harrassment, training, and naming policy...

Ambrotos
09-27-2012, 02:21 PM
I have a huge issue with this

I'm really just wanting to protect myself from myself here... For instance, shortly after starting the game, I logged in my wife's character to give her the banded armor I made for her because I didn't want to carry it (too heavy) and my bank was full. Later I realized that it's not just wrong to two-box (like actually grind/camp while controlling two or more characters), but yes - it's really and truly preferable for you to transfer stuff by dropping it on the ground or giving it to a stranger... (yikes!)

Am I missing a document somewhere??

Why do I have a huge issue with this? Because when you submited a petition in the first place to ask for a IP exempt it even says

IP Exemption: This is for requesting to be exempt from the limit of 1 connection per IP Address. You may request exemption if you have more than 1 real person playing from the same IP. When posting for this, please include the account names of every person that will be playing from the same IP.

Then in your IP exemption request that you asked for and I responded, I even put the RULES in the response. The fact you are here claiming you had no idea about the rules in the first place is almost staggering to me. If you even had the slightest doubt as to understanding 1 person, per account playing at the same ip means, then you should have asked not just during the first IP exemption you asked for, but just maybe the second one.

Your exemption has been granted. If the accounts listed havent logged off since this post, log
out completely for it to take effect.

Remember the rules: 1 client per Real Life player at any time. Deviation from this rule will
result in permanent bans.

Make sure everyone thoroughly understands and follows this rule.
Enjoy the server!

For everything else:

Everything is under the Library section of the website.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2653

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1057

Asher
09-27-2012, 02:29 PM

This will get you banned and probably already has since you just told Ambrotos that you did it. Better hope he is in a good mood.

Asher

Autotune
09-27-2012, 02:46 PM

Why do I have a huge issue with this? Because when you submited a petition in the first place to ask for a IP exempt it even says

Then in your IP exemption request that you asked for and I responded, I even put the RULES in the response. The fact you are here claiming you had no idea about the rules in the first place is almost staggering to me. If you even had the slightest doubt as to understanding 1 person, per account playing at the same ip means, then you should have asked not just during the first IP exemption you asked for, but just maybe the second one.

For everything else:

Everything is under the Library section of the website.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2653

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1057

Bwahahahahaha.

...but seriously though, I've PL'd AFK (sleeping) people for hours before. there are some good spots to hide people in KC where nothing paths and you can just park a toon, group it and farm away to freely level toons.

quido
09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey I want to play Everquest, but I don't want to actually play the fucking game.

Autotune
09-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey I want to play Everquest, but I don't want to actually play the fucking game.

IM me!

Droog007
09-27-2012, 03:20 PM

I really did misinterpret the 2-boxing rule because it says you can only "play" one account. I did not think that offloading armor for my wife's character constituted playing, but I soon after came to understand why it is wrong anyway. Please do not think that I requested IP exemptions for my own personal convenience - we truly are 4 different people who sometimes play at each other's homes, and my wife will be very upset with me if her account is banned. When I realized that I had misinterpreted the rule, I changed my behavior immediately. I only "two-boxed" that one time, I promise. It will not happen again. (And man, am I sorry I admitted to it now :o )

I did read the rules when you posted the response to my IP exemption request, but I did not retain the part about "AFK camping" because I didn't really know what it was. The rule just said "No AFK camping". I read down through the discussion and got a better definition now - so we're clear on that. Since I couldn't remember reading that anywhere I was worried that I had somehow missed something. In truth, I just forgot.

Please have mercy!! :o

Nordenwatch
09-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I really did misinterpret the 2-boxing rule because it says you can only "play" one account. I did not think that offloading armor for my wife's character constituted playing, but I soon after came to understand why it is wrong anyway. Please do not think that I requested IP exemptions for my own personal convenience - we truly are 4 different people who sometimes play at each other's homes, and my wife will be very upset with me if her account is banned. When I realized that I had misinterpreted the rule, I changed my behavior immediately. I only "two-boxed" that one time, I promise. It will not happen again. (And man, am I sorry I admitted to it now :o )

I did read the rules when you posted the response to my IP exemption request, but I did not retain the part about "AFK camping" because I didn't really know what it was. The rule just said "No AFK camping". I read down through the discussion and got a better definition now - so we're clear on that. Since I couldn't remember reading that anywhere I was worried that I had somehow missed something. In truth, I just forgot.

Please have mercy!! :o

/cry
/beg

Droog007
09-27-2012, 04:59 PM
/cry
/beg

Damn straight... nervous as hell I'm going to get home from work and find myself banned (or worse yet, my wife). Please note I didn't start this thread... just tried to contribute my experience with how they can be misconstrued, poorly understood, or just plain not found the first place you look.

edit: I recognize that the makers of these rules are not paid to make them perfectly obvious and the burden of comprehension is on the user.

I hope that this thread can stand as evidence to just how serious they are when they say "1 real life person per account at any time" and that I won't be put up on a cross as well. :(

Raavak
09-27-2012, 05:00 PM
/open mouth
/insert foot

Critical
09-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Vault, I think you are good, because in all honesty there is no difference between ur brother being there while u kite versus him not being there... The only problem would be if you were to move or adjust his character by buffing/looting etc like was mentioned before.

Soleryn
09-27-2012, 05:27 PM
No I would warn them and kick them to desktop. It's the same as afk pet campers. Anything after the first warning then we can do something more about it.

This seems like a stretch to me. Where I can see where the 'same as afk pet campers' conclusion can be drawn, at the time the no AFK camping rule was enacted, it was not directed at the type of situation being discussed here.

If I remember correctly it was because at the time certain players were holding item camps and exp camps while not having to have a real player at the computer. This was more of an exploit in game mechanics involving pets which made it wrong, and I can understand that reasoning.

In the topic situation, this would not be AFK camping. There is still a live person maintaining the camp while not violating any other rules or exploiting game mechanics. Who is to say the AFK person isn't coming back? And where is the line of exactly how long someone can be AFK before such a punishment (kicking to desktop) can be applied? I've been in KC where someone disappears for a half hour but the group still let's them stay. According to what I'm seeing here the group would be obligated to kick them per 'the rules' or the whole group would be just as guilty as someone 2-boxing for giving away free exp. I fail to see how if someone is maintaining a camp by themselves, why they do not get to choose who can receive the exp with them, whether the player is currently windowed into or out of EQ.

If the guys upstairs don't want people getting experience while they are not physically sitting at their computer staring at EQ on their screen, make that a clear cut rule. So if a GM comes to a camp like this, they would have a clear cut authority to kick someone that is not responding to tells. But from the way it reads now, if someone is there holding a camp and chooses to let someone else share the exp, that's not AFK camping.

Everyone has their own interpretations I suppose. And this is just what I'm seeing.

Galelor
09-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Vault, I think you are good, because in all honesty there is no difference between ur brother being there while u kite versus him not being there... The only problem would be if you were to move or adjust his character by buffing/looting etc like was mentioned before.

I am going to buy a boat next summer....

Slave
09-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I have to agree that:

0 people playing for 1/2 experience

does not equal

1 person playing for 1 experience, divided however many ways.

Brandonian10
09-29-2012, 04:20 AM
Create a dedicated character to play exclusively when your brother is online, duo with him. Then create another character to put all your excessive unemployed free time into. That way you always have similarly leveled characters, he actually gets to play, you could twink your duo with your higher character, and you get to avoid all this..... nonsense.

Swish
09-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Create a dedicated character to play exclusively when your brother is online, duo with him. Then create another character to put all your excessive unemployed free time into. That way you always have similarly leveled characters, he actually gets to play, you could twink your duo with your higher character, and you get to avoid all this..... nonsense.

Common sense, how we underestimate it. He's right.

Naerron
09-29-2012, 12:46 PM
If he's just asleep at home, just be like wake up bro and stop us from gettin banned if a problem comes up

Waedawen
09-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Warning: Potential boxer detected

Account flagged as a priority 2 threat
Forum account penalized with public suspicion and disapproval

Continuing to monitor situation

Get over yourself.