PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane!

Brut
05-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Obviously we all vastly love the whole relive-classic concept, but what we should also love is thinking back on all the joyful things that happened back in classic EQ!

So let's all think back on what moment or event defined classic EQ experience for you. Something that is just carved crystal-clear in your memories... And share it!

For me it's something as simple as a tesch mas gnoll. A young enterprising ogre shaman, running around the karanas heading for Blackburrow which I heard was a good place for exp (I was like late teens so dunno about that...). While trying to avoid the KOS aviaks I come upon these huge giant fangs with blood on them protounding from the ground and this gloomy hill looming in the middle. Circling around it I come upon the sight of spell effects and folks fighting something - a group if you will. I go take a closer look. The whole group cons bright red to me, and they're fighting some weird-looking (red con) gnoll (had seen the ones spawning daytime in lake rathe before, so this brown one with some yellow and black clothes was the coolest thing ever). And the gnoll was mouthing them off something fierce, going on and on with stuff like "I'll teach you to interfere with me, Soandso!". First time I ever saw that and I was in absolute awe, thinking that was the coolest thing ever that the gnoll was telling them off like that. I thought they'd be like lvl50s all of em and that this was the most awesome thing ever (hell I was under the impression hill giants and spectres were lvl50 too, once I even thought crypt mummies were 50!).

Came back some 3-5 lvls later, in my early 20s, for some reason aggrod one tesch mas, and ran for probably a full hour around South karanas trying to make distance with me SOW, med, cast a nuke, run, med, nuke again (yes I was indeed the crappiest shm!)... Eventually killed it and it felt like I had won EQ. First time I solo'd a red-con. Didn't think it was even possible! =p

Excision Rottun
05-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Everything about Unrest.

Exping on Aviaks in Lake Rathe.

Getting my first char over 20 to 20 at Aviaks in SK.

Crazy grinding at Frenzy camp in Velks.

Pretty much any exploring of Kunark / Velious when they first opened.

Crystal Caverns.

Logging on to see guildies ready to roll fro Gorenaire and Trakanon for my Singing Short Sword.

Shannacore
05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Playing on my brothers account and being 9 and telling some dude I was 16 and making him want to e-date me until my brother found out and told him, leading to an immediate /ignore from him and my brother kicking me off his account.

E-DATING SINCE '99

Edit: I was Spellze, the level 20 druid of Rallos Zek, NOW WHICH ONE OF YOU WAS IT THAT I EDATED

Ripcord
05-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Lol naughty girl.
One great memory was camping city of mist for the ultra rare wus trance sticks with my monk, I literally spent hunedreds of hours trying to get groups to come out for as long as they would stay. I finally got one and almost jizzed in my pants. Eventually I got a second one and felt like the coolest kid ever.The whole process generated over 50 corpses of mine that I decorated the whole zone with. I got tells for weeks about my awesome corpse art.

km2783
05-28-2010, 06:13 PM
The first time it rained.

I grew to hate that f'ing rain, but that first time was magical. I was amazed. I was playing a video game with random weather! So real! So leet (was leet a word back then?)!

theblaz
05-28-2010, 06:14 PM
My very first character at launch was a human shadowknight in Qeynos. I remember dieing repeatedly to that blasted Holly Windstalker in Qeynos Hills.

Also remember the first time I took a trek across the land with a few good friends of mine. We were all about level 5 and decided to see how far we could run before we died. We started in Qeynos and ran through the hills, and through West Karana .. all the way to East Karana .. somewhere, before reaching North Karana, I ventured too close to a merchant town, and was slain for being an SK. My other friends died to a Griffon that was patrolling nearby.. it was still quite a bit of fun. (The SK never made it past level 9, I rolled a different class after that (human mage, agnostic))

I also remember killing the bandits on the trail in WK, and having to be veeeeeeery careful of the wandering Hill Giant that roamed through there. I don't know how many times I died to the HG or the bandits, but it was still a lot of fun. Seeing a HG for the first time was reallly breath-taking....

Blaz

Excision Rottun
05-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Playing on my brothers account and being 9 and telling some dude I was 16 and making him want to e-date me until my brother found out and told him, leading to an immediate /ignore from him and my brother kicking me off his account.

E-DATING SINCE '99

On that note, catching people cybering in one of the side buildings at the Inn in East Commons was bad ass.

Opening the door and just staring at the with my gnome.

"Go away you perv!"

"No."

/rude

Too bad I wasn't a troll.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/f/2010/002/4/3/Ralph_pls_go_by_Zapkiller.jpg

km2783
05-28-2010, 06:18 PM
We did that run, too, but from Freeport! I was playing a cleric, and it was me, a friend on his Pally, a Monk whose name I forget, and an Erudite Enchanter named Nanthor. i want to say we had a Wizard named Cumien with us, and... perhaps Mohikum the Dwarven Cleric. We made it all the way to Qeynos, this was below lvl 20, and bound the melees then went out to hunt griffawns.

We had a bad fight and I told the group to run, thinking I would save the day with Divine Aura and then Gate.

I was crestfallen (and livid) when I got the message that I couldn't cast while invulnerable LOL. good times.

Dantes
05-28-2010, 06:18 PM
I really liked seeing the spires in the Karanas for the first time. That was so awesome, especially after such a treacherous trip for a lowbie warrior in uncharted territory. Or the first time I wandered to the gypsies and got jumped by a Bandit. I remember thinking, "Who is this human? Why is she attacking me? OUCH! Crap I'm going to... yup, dead."

Qeynos catacombs were cool too. Especially because I discovered them by accident, thinking "What happens if I swim down here?"

I also killed a bunch of those fish in the Cleric/Paladin guild pond because they dropped something that sold well to vendors. I didn't really understand factions, and soon I was KOS.

km2783
05-28-2010, 06:20 PM
On that note, catching people cybering in one of the side buildings at the Inn in East Commons was bad ass.

Opening the door and just staring at the with my gnome.

"Go away you perv!"

"No."

/rude

Too bad I wasn't a troll.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/300W/f/2010/002/4/3/Ralph_pls_go_by_Zapkiller.jpg

This chick one time in fironia vie, shortly after kunark launched, we were in a hut and i was trying to buy from a merchant. suddenly her character starts ducking repeatedly in front of mine, and then she emoted that she wiped her chin.

at the time i was mortified, but now it's pure hilarity. I never did find out if it was a chick or a dude, but either way it was some funny shit.

astarothel
05-28-2010, 06:20 PM
On the first day of release there was a massive blob of little level one, two and three dwarves attempting to hop the boat out of Butcherblock. When the boat was in sight, someone aggrod the aquagoblin wizard. Half the crowd was slaughtered before the boat left BB. Then the boat lagged in OOT dropping another bunch of people overboard where they aggrod something. Whatever it was then proceeded to fly through the air (pretty sure it was a shark) devastating the helpless dwarves stuck on the boat, while others jumped off in an attempt to save themselves. When the boat zoned into EFP I hopped off the boat happy to get onto dry land but missed the docks. Spent the next 20 seconds trying to figure out how to swim up to the top. "You are now entering Butcherblock Mountains."

Xumosa
05-28-2010, 07:17 PM
watching some leet guild train all of mistmoore to zoneline over and over again and aoe it down trying to build up faction

stood by them and watched in awe for hours then a troll shammy walked up and opened trade with me and gave me circlet of shadows on my sk...best item...ever... for sk but i refused to right click it because they just finished putting mod rods on the ground and all the noobs that picked those up and clicked them died, so i was scared for about 3 weeks till finally i decided to click it and went invis

Vonblund
05-28-2010, 07:41 PM
As a struggling druid noob I had barely made lvl 15 after a month of hard core play.

then in joined a guild and a lvl 50 Druid of the guild took me to Unrest (didn't even know it existed or where it was) the whole trip, with levitate, wolf form, and the following session of powerlevelling in Unrest will remain in my memory forever.. Jack O 'Lantern's still are one of my favorites mobs.

girth
05-28-2010, 08:14 PM
I made a Barbarian warrior when I was like 14-15 years old.

Needless to say, Everfrost is not the friendliest noob zone. I still remember 2 high level barbarians hanging around the ramp leading into halas, they gave me some kind of weapon I have NO IDEA what it was or anything, can't recall. They told me about online maps or something and that I should head to East Commonlands for sick groups and mad experience.

I remember getting to the tunnel leading to blackburrow and not being able to even zone in to BB because I could see nothing at all, as in my screen may as well have been off. I didn't know a thing about gamma which is probably what my problem was, but I had to retreat to halas which was terrible in itself to buy a torch so I could make it to BB. That blew my mind and I remember just not being able to believe that kind of depth from a game. I was SOO hooked at this point, and this was like my 1st or 2nd session.

My run to EC at level 9-10 was a hell of a trip, I don't remember much except the karanas and kithikor, but it took me at least 2-3 hours. And that's when it happened. I got in an orc group in EC and grouped with a druid. Then I rerolled druid and ran him to EC.

rioisk
05-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Seems peoples best experiences was before online resources....

guineapig
05-29-2010, 02:39 PM
My very first character, a ranger. I didn't know anyone in the game or anything about the game. I remember finding the fletching merchant in Kelethin and making my first bow and a few stacks of arrows, using up every copper I had saved up over a bunch of levels.

I was ready to take over Crushbone!

Then I realized that archery was not a viable primary attack and that I should have spend that money on the fine steel weapons that were being auctioned.

I then rolled a chanter which became my main character from then on. (Little did I know that playing an enchanter when knowing nothing about the game made playing a DPS ranger look like easy mode).

Still I must of spent days preparing and it was a ton of fun.

I also remember finding Butcherblock for the first time, thinking to myself: "There's even more to this game???"

This was followed shortly by accidentally entering Lesser Faydark thinking I was entering Butcherblock at night and being a tad bit confused. I should have lost my corpse forever that day, had it not been for a friendly upper level player dragging my body to the zoneline for me and warning me not to come back for a few levels.

Taxi
05-29-2010, 02:52 PM
On rallos zek starting out, i was told by my guild leader i could make some money by selling stuff she had and making a cut on each sale.

Get 6 bags of gear from guild leader. Check.

Get a mule up to level 5. Check.

Hop into bed after a night of leveling on my main, to sell gear on my mule in Gfay. Check.

Fall asleep in bed and push toon off the platform with 6 bags of gear that rot under 30mins because youre not lvl 6 yet. Check.

Wake up naked at bind with inventory empty. Check.

Taxi
05-29-2010, 03:04 PM
During one day somewhere in 2001, Sony allowed players to be able to control monsters.

I spawn in feerott, and spot another furry spider. It approaches me!

I jump! It jumps in response! I jump again! Hop! Hop! goes the non-verbal language.

And off we go into the feerott night tag-teaming noobs for MAJOR lols.

Malrubius
05-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Wandered around in the dark, fell into a hole, and died.

Baldrik
05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
The never ending trains of Blackburrow.
Being blind without a firebeetle eye! (and pretty much with one)
The endless zone of West Karana, before any map was drawn up.
Alpha loot on bronze?
Druid exchange bankers in Lake Rathe.
Rumours that some dragon could zone after players.

Alleusion
05-29-2010, 04:39 PM
My very first character was a hald elf ranger. I died by falling into the pit in Blackburrow at level 6. I was so mad when I couldn't get my body back because I'd spent a week getting her to 6 and she had the guild tunic already. I made a wood elf, fell off the platforms in GFay, attacked my guildmaster, and lost countless corpses under the platforms.

I remember later as an enchanter, being terrified going into evil zones in illusion form to finish my stein quest.

And the boat to Timorous was pretty impressive seeing it for the first time.

Spud
05-29-2010, 04:59 PM
My very first character was a hald elf ranger. I died by falling into the pit in Blackburrow at level 6. I was so mad when I couldn't get my body back because I'd spent a week getting her to 6 and she had the guild tunic already. I made a wood elf, fell off the platforms in GFay, attacked my guildmaster, and lost countless corpses under the platforms.

haha my first char was a half elf rogue and I died by falling into the blackburrow pit the same way... never got his corpse back. RIP my half elf rogue.

One of my funner memories was cybering with this chick in one of the side buildings at the Inn in East Commons. This Gnome kept opening the door and bugging us... JK

This chick one time in fironia vie, shortly after kunark launched, we were in a hut and i was trying to buy from a merchant. suddenly her character starts ducking repeatedly in front of mine, and then she emoted that she wiped her chin.

at the time i was mortified, but now it's pure hilarity. I never did find out if it was a chick or a dude, but either way it was some funny shit.

it was a dude.

Taxi
05-29-2010, 05:04 PM
I tried EQ for the first time on a friends account, on the Prexus Server. I rolled a human wiz. Once i figured out stats making, i decided to buy the game and roll an erudite instead, on a pvp server, Rallos Zek.

Now the zone i know best is Freeport, so id like to level there, and im explaining this to a lvl5 chanter (im a lvl4 wiz) in front of Erudin while we killin kobolds. So he asks me if i want to walk there, and i say sure, lets do it.

So me and this lvl5 chanter proceeded to take the boat, bind in Queynos, and walk all the way from Queynos to Freeport, and on the way explaining to me the zones and and what lvls i would be leveling there. Saw my first wizard spire in NK and we died in EK when invis dropped and were killed by a lion.

To cut the story short, we finally arrived in freeport, we bind, and im hooked to EQ, bad.

Alleusion
05-29-2010, 06:03 PM
...Once i figured out stats making...

My first enchanter was the strongest dark elf I'd ever met.

Aprio
05-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Made a cleric, got it to 14, was soloing (very slowly) in NK near the guards. Was chatting to a random player in NK, he mentioned that clerics were great in groups. I thought to myself 'You can group?!'

gprater
05-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Made a cleric, got it to 14, was soloing (very slowly) in NK near the guards. Was chatting to a random player in NK, he mentioned that clerics were great in groups. I thought to myself 'You can group?!'

I like this one:) we have a winner.. /end thread

Xenephex
05-29-2010, 10:29 PM
A few things:

1st - We all remember the cross-Antonica run; for me it was Freeport to Qeynos - I don't remember what level, but couldn't have been more than level 5. What I have always very specifically remembered was running along the shore in West Karanas and realizing that my heart was literally pounding. Later on, I can remember telling someone, after some thought, that the only penalty the game can exert on a player is... time. And then realizing as the game 'progressed', that they were doing everything they could to remove that penalty, and thus removing all the excitement involved with all the things you could do that could end up costing you a lot of time if you screwed up.

2nd - Being a poor young newbie in East Commonlands - opening a vendor to sell whatever I had looted and having the vendor say, "Greetings Xenephex, you look like you could use a High Quality Bear Skin." I was rich!

3rd - In Crushbone, tanking a group outside the castle when someone called a train from the castle, but called it too late. Most of my group got out but one person got aggro and I ran over and pulled aggro off them so they could run for the zone. I was never a role-player, but I did have very specific beliefs about tanks, which was that they would stand and fight rather than run. Very shortly I had a pile of mobs on me, almost all of which were yellow or red to me. I knew I was going to die, but then realized that someone was healing me. Turned out there was a higher level druid in the zone; she sent me a tell and said - "stick with it - I'll heal you." So I did. I have no idea how long it went on. It seemed like ages. I was on the last mob when she told me, "oom", and I killed it with my own health at about 15 percent. It felt epic. It was only much later that it dawned on me that she could have killed or even tanked some or most of those mobs herself, but she chose to let me fight and just healed me, as if she sensed the drama of the moment. It was great.

4th - the first time I got in a really GOOD group; in High Pass early one Saturday morning. It went on for 3 hours or so; very little talking - just everyone doing their jobs efficiently. It was the first time I had an inkling of how wonderful the game could be with a group of strangers who all knew what they were doing.

Those are the things I remember.

Kailo
05-29-2010, 10:52 PM
I remember hitting lvl twenty on a character doing aviaks myself and it was totally bitch'n.

Training Sand Giants.

First dragon loot.

Server split.

Bard/melee groups in sebilis.
Getting that Truncheon of Doom i was looking for off of the Armsman.

Convincing a warrior to borrow my bloodfire(sweet DOT) for the warrior BOTB and then him ripping up the competition to win it on our server.

Myth
05-30-2010, 12:01 AM
My first run from iceclad ocean to thurgadin was epic. This was back when you had to collect the ground spawn at the circles before you could get a port there.

First trip from BB to Freeport to group with friends I met in CB who had moved to Nro.

Getting a tell from A character called Dectala (ranger) to group with him in Lake Rathe. Not knowing where lake rathe was and having him give
men directions from Oasis to get there.

There are a lot more but at the moment these are the few that stand out

stormlord
05-30-2010, 12:31 AM
For me it was a monk. His named started with an X. I met him on Rallos Zek during the first few months of launch in 1999. I remember playing with him in the sewers killing smugglers and thugs. I remember him dueling a member of a role-playing guild in north karana. He was bound in Qeynos. He could have declined to save us time. The opposing guild member was a couple levels higher than him. He accepted the duel and fought proudly. It was the most amazing act of courage and loyalty to a cause I had ever seen in a multiplayer game up to that point. I actually cried it affected me so much. It was just a dumb game, but that moment proved to me that just like a movie, a game can make a grown man cry. If people play it right, it's like a work of art.

In modern EQ it was a mid-tier raid guild that underlined for me how awesome teamwork can be. How amazing a win can be after several failed attempts. It's an incredible feeling when you finally come out on top. I really cannot express it here well enough with a few short words. I remember it clearly. Just, wow!

Ever since that moment in 1999, i've found it very difficult not to take the rpgs I play seriously. Every friend, every moment, every place, is a chance to make a meaningful memory. It's just like life. Moments pass us by and everything becomes history. It only happens once but it can last a lifetime.

What you do can make an impression even though it's just a game. Just like a movie or a book.

Whether you do it here, in rl or elsewhere, make a name for yourself! Make an impression.

Destructo
05-30-2010, 02:08 AM
I was 13.

Now im older and know better.

Everquest sucked.

ukaking
05-30-2010, 10:07 AM
I was a noobie about a month after Kunark released. Had made an Iksar necro and had only seen the Field of Bone and Kurns Tower. Was part of a roleplaying PVP iksar only guild on RALLOS ZEK and we used "softskins" like slaves. One of the "softskins" that roleplayed as a servant to us was Whysler the bard. He said, "Soulsick, have you ever been to the Overthere?" I'm like uhhh Im not so sure I wanna leave my safezone here. He proceeds to teach me autofollow and runs me through Warsilks Woods. I had no clue where I was! Just braches hitting me in the face and I was sure death was to follow along with never finding my corpse again! We arrive in the Overthere and I see Rhinos and Chickens for the first time! I was taking screenshots of the fights to take to other guys I played EQ with at work, who were all noobs as well.
This was the first time I realized, man, I have no clue what I've gotten myself into.

Kinamur1999
05-30-2010, 10:29 AM
On the first day of release there was a massive blob of little level one, two and three dwarves attempting to hop the boat out of Butcherblock. When the boat was in sight, someone aggrod the aquagoblin wizard. Half the crowd was slaughtered before the boat left BB. Then the boat lagged in OOT dropping another bunch of people overboard where they aggrod something. Whatever it was then proceeded to fly through the air (pretty sure it was a shark) devastating the helpless dwarves stuck on the boat, while others jumped off in an attempt to save themselves. When the boat zoned into EFP I hopped off the boat happy to get onto dry land but missed the docks. Spent the next 20 seconds trying to figure out how to swim up to the top. "You are now entering Butcherblock Mountains."

Astar Nooooooo!