PDA

View Full Version : Play styles

dredge
10-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Tecmos Deception
10-14-2012, 01:03 AM
Well you're kind of in a tough spot, imo.

You don't want to solo, but you also don't like organizing your own group. So that leaves you with just /lfg. And while there ARE groups in the popular grouping zones most of the time, you will eventually (and repeatedly) run into times when you don't find a group in 1+ hour of /lfg, no matter where you look and no matter what class you are. It's just bad luck. Everyone loves a cleric, but eventually you'll be in KC with 20 people in zone and 5 of you are clerics. Etc.

If you really can't bring yourself to solo or form your own groups, your options as I see it are 1) have multiple characters of different levels to better your chances of finding a group on at least one of them at any given time, 2) do #1 but perhaps with characters on blue AND red, 3) only play p99 when you get groups. An active guild and a well-stocked /friend list are really essential if you want to play p99 much but don't want to solo or scour the /who lists for people to invite to your own group.

If you play a shaman, you will have more and better options for duo or trio than if you go cleric, imo. Clerics, of course, have perks of their own that are unmatched by anyone else in larger groups and raids.

dredge
10-14-2012, 02:42 AM

Bubbles
10-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Cleric lulls make for breaking camps with linked mobs EZ mode, which is a huge plus for soloing or grouping alike. Probably the best part about cleric soloing is it's literally : find blue undead.. root nuke root nuke root nuke /loot. Not a ton of strategy or thinking involved.. and if you duo with a melee, it's even less thinking than that.

Tecmos Deception
10-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Cleric lulls make for breaking camps with linked mobs EZ mode

Are you trying to set the OP up for sudden and unexpected deaths in unrest's basement or something? Lol.

OP - lulls are useful tools, but for a 50-charisma halfling/dwarf cleric, they don't exactly make splitting camps "EZ mode." Unless you're carrying about full charisma gear that you are willing to swap in every time you need to lull, you're going to get a lot of crit resists with your lulls. And neither having to do full gear swaps to lull nor getting a lot of crit resists counts as "EZ mode."

Hell. My enchanter had over 200+ charisma from level 1, and I bet 15-20% of his lull resists were crit resists until he got up in the 40-45 range. And you'll never see those kind of charisma numbers as a halfling cleric.

Lulls are useful, but you better have your DA spells ready and know the quickest way out of the zone before you try to lull anything indoors.

Bubbles
10-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Are you trying to set the OP up for sudden and unexpected deaths in unrest's basement or something? Lol.

OP - lulls are useful tools, but for a 50-charisma halfling/dwarf cleric, they don't exactly make splitting camps "EZ mode." Unless you're carrying about full charisma gear that you are willing to swap in every time you need to lull, you're going to get a lot of crit resists with your lulls. And neither having to do full gear swaps to lull nor getting a lot of crit resists counts as "EZ mode."

Hell. My enchanter had over 200+ charisma from level 1, and I bet 15-20% of his lull resists were crit resists until he got up in the 40-45 range. And you'll never see those kind of charisma numbers as a halfling cleric.

Lulls are useful, but you better have your DA spells ready and know the quickest way out of the zone before you try to lull anything indoors.

Crap, you're right, I forgot they finally upped mob checks vs. lull. Was fun in Kunark beta... I remember /petitioning "Drussella Sathir looks calm", may have been the straw that finally broke the camels back.

Well, it's still an option. And there is always root + gate to fall back on hehe. Definitely not EZ mode anymore.

Tecmos Deception
10-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Go try to level 34-39 in the tower in unrest as a halfling cleric and let me know how lull works out for you, Swamp.

Vayder
10-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Go try to level 34-39 in the tower in unrest as a halfling cleric and let me know how lull works out for you, Swamp.

Lulling the room is about impossible. Better to aggro the room, train to zone, root one and zone back in. Once the room is broken you're golden.

Tecmos Deception
10-14-2012, 09:23 PM
It's doable, but not risk-free. You can lull the center spawn then kill the sides where they spawn. I don't think you can do all 3 consistently without clarity. If you get a lull resist, you just pop DA and run out of the tower windows to train to zone. DA is swell for eating a HT too if you get a chance to kill the named dude.

Estu
10-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Soloing a cleric to 40 is absurdly simple and efficient, even 40-50 isn't really difficult.

If you decide to play cleric you will have best of both worlds as far as being able to group and being able to solo.

Soloing a cleric is one of the least efficient ways to get EXP in the game. No charm, no quadding, no mana regen buffs, not even dots. Simple, maybe. Fast? Hell no.

Bubbles
10-15-2012, 05:33 PM
45 seconds of playing EQ followed by 4-5 min of websurfing, watching netflix, or doing bicep curls.

It gets no simpler. heh. I think what he meant by efficient is that you'll get a ton of stuff done IRL while soloing a cleric. :)