PDA

View Full Version : Is Tinkering Profitable?

TheFishyOne
10-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Like the title says. Is there plat to be made in the EC Tunnel from gettin' your Gnome on, or is it just a huge money sink? I know the Wiki lists some type of tinkered items as being somewhat in-demand, but enough to justify feeding all that plat into your toolbox?

Ravager
10-14-2012, 11:40 AM
As a rogue, I've purchased Mech picks and Spyglass. I also buy fireworks whenever I see them for sale. Never tinkered myself though, so dunno how much profit there is in it.

Nordenwatch
10-14-2012, 11:50 AM
I know there's a lot of people in the market for Stalking Probes as well... including me!

Tarathiel
10-14-2012, 12:16 PM
compass's yo

Autumnbow
10-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Don't warriors need rebreathers for their epic?

TheFishyOne
10-14-2012, 01:18 PM
compass's yo

Compasses are awesome, but can't you buy them from stock vendors?

Also, are there enough Fletchers to make bow cams worthwhile?

Thank you all for the encouraging feedback!

Naerron
10-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Rebreathers sell for 2k a pop, stalking probes are also in high demand. Most high lvl rangers I know have max fetching skills

nalkin
10-14-2012, 02:19 PM
As a master tinker I can tell you that tinkering is not a financially profitable business. Rebreathers sell for 2k, but each takes like 1400 p to make and you have over a 50% failure rate until you master. It is a very costly skill to work up as well.

That being said, seeing the smile on kimmies supple face as she shoots off fireworks in EC is priceless. And at the end of the day isn't that what its all about

Handull
10-14-2012, 02:44 PM
There are so few people out there tinkering, you could probably jack up prices a bit. i think i was paying like 40pp per stalking probe, but honestly wouldn't mind paying more (though now i have like 15 of them, so i'm set). hard to say how profitable it will be, but i know a lot of my early plat came from tailoring bags and wu's. gl either way

Kimmie
10-14-2012, 07:21 PM
seeing the smile on kimmies supple face as she shoots off fireworks in EC is priceless. And at the end of the day isn't that what its all about

^This
Let's not lose sight of the things that really matter.

Hagglebaron
10-14-2012, 07:33 PM
If i see fireworks for sale in the tunnel i pay ridiculously well for them :p

Always love seeing a young gnomish tinkerer's day brighten when I give him 500pp for a couple stacks of fireworks

nalkin
10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
If i see fireworks for sale in the tunnel i pay ridiculously well for them :p

Always love seeing a young gnomish tinkerer's day brighten when I give him 500pp for a couple stacks of fireworks

yesh, i got as many as you want plus a collapsible fishin pole if it pleases you

TheFishyOne
10-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Thank you all very much. You have restored my faith in the Gnomish power which flows from a Gnome's toolbox.

Nalkin, you said you're a master tinkerer. Does tinkering count as your main profession when you get it above 200? I ask, because I'm a chanter, and want to make jewelry, too.

Nordenwatch
10-15-2012, 02:45 AM
Tinkering and JC? you best have a hefty bankroll!

TheFishyOne
10-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Tinkering and JC? you best have a hefty bankroll!

That I most certainly do NOT. In fact, I am perpetually broke. I gotta learn how to make money in EQ...=)

Ravager
10-15-2012, 08:47 AM
I'd say prostitution, but as a gnome you might be better off with fetish videos.

TheFishyOne
10-15-2012, 01:52 PM
I'd say prostitution, but as a gnome you might be better off with fetish videos.

Yeah, that sounds about as awesome as being eaten by an Ogre with exceptionally bad breath...

Hey Hagglebaron, I don't suppose you offer any Wealth Management courses in EC, do you? =P

TheFishyOne
10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
That said, a guildie has recently offered my 70pp a skin to go hunt grizzlies in North Karana. This, in addition to giving me an excuse to go to HHK to grab my 16th and 20th level animation spells, has shown me an area where I can level and possibly even Charm/Kill in (relative) safety. (A guildie's daily diatribes have provided sufficient warning of the dangers posed by the Griffons in nk)