PDA

View Full Version : Is dropping plat (on the ground) classic?

Malrubius
05-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I can't remember if this is classic or not, but I'm pretty sure I remember being able to drop coinage on the ground. Here I can only drop items.

I did some searching and did not see another thread about this. Can anybody confirm either way?

Phallax
05-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes, its how most people transfered stuff in classic. I dont know if its client side or not. But you could indeed drop coin on classic.

Best image I could find on google hehe

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/xJeebsx/eq000137.gif

nilbog
05-30-2010, 03:54 PM
You most definitely could drop coin on the ground.

As far as I know, it is not possible with Titanium onward. Maybe a fix for it will be found somewhere.

Akame
05-30-2010, 03:54 PM
They stopped it because people used to exploit by dropping coin, and /qing out before the game saved them, then logging back in, still having the coin and having the coin on the ground.

Aadill
05-30-2010, 04:08 PM
It also crashed zones, if done in large enough quantities.

Something about running across the Karanas, leaving a breadcrumb trail of copper. Servers didn't like that.

stormlord
05-30-2010, 04:10 PM
They stopped it because people used to exploit by dropping coin, and /qing out before the game saved them, then logging back in, still having the coin and having the coin on the ground.

I don't understand that. What is /qing? How does a player NOT get saved when they "log out"? How do other mmorpgs prevent this from happening? Is this how people, in general, dupe?

You said they removed coins from dropping, but players could still drop items. So what stops a player from dropping an item, and /qing out before the gave saved them and logging back in with two duplicates of the item? That's the same exact behavior, just not with coins. Are players doing that now, as we speak?

Webwolf
05-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I say re-enable shared banks instead of bothering with this. As it is right now the only way to transfer plat is asking someone else to hold it.

Phallax
05-30-2010, 04:32 PM
In classic, not sure till when. A consented corpse could also be looted to the one consented. That was also a way of transfering. It got changed before Kunark tho because alot of people would get dry looted when just trying to get thier corpse drug when they were balls deep in a dungeon.

Akame
05-30-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't understand that. What is /qing? How does a player NOT get saved when they "log out"? How do other mmorpgs prevent this from happening? Is this how people, in general, dupe?

You said they removed coins from dropping, but players could still drop items. So what stops a player from dropping an item, and /qing out before the gave saved them and logging back in with two duplicates of the item? That's the same exact behavior, just not with coins. Are players doing that now, as we speak?

A looong time ago, the game "saved" your character every I think 30 seconds. So people would drop coin, and /quit out before the game auto saved, when they came back, they still had their old coin count, plus the world had saved the coin on the ground. When that exploit was discovered they stopped allowing coins to be dropped I think.

Yukona
05-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Im sure of that, as I used to drop plat I earned selling Wu's Armor to Iksar monks, so that I could xfer that plat to a mule that was bound in Antonica
Yukona Goldweaver, 250 Tailor of Erollisi Marr and lvl 10 nothing of p99 :)

Xenephex
06-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I had an idea in this regard. Create some otherwise useless type of item that stacks and can be bought and sold for the exact same amount (as water is). Make it in various denominations - 1 plat, 10 plat, 100 plat, etc, and make it available on merchants that sell water and rations.

We could all then essentially drop transfer plat, just as we could in classic, without having to do anything with the shared bank.

Just a thought.

Savok
06-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I too think that shared banks should be re enabled. Yes its not classic but tbh its a lot safer to transfer items this way.

Vonblund
06-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I say re-enable shared banks instead of bothering with this. As it is right now the only way to transfer plat is asking someone else to hold it.

I know it's embarrassing every time I have to ask a relative stranger if he can hold it for me...

Zordana
06-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I too think that shared banks should be re enabled. Yes its not classic but tbh its a lot safer to transfer items this way.

thats no reason to change it in my honest opinion. i do like classic EQ because its NOT easy and safe to do everything.. you have to think about what you do..
go to a city to a place where no1 else goes, drop your item and hope no1 sees it, i loved it..
and also you could just have someone else help you trading.. another reason why reputation is important..

and there may be things on p99 that arent classic and will never be classic -- but.. if sony or verant made mistakes like having some change in for some weeks and then remove it because it didnt work as intendet, why should the p99 developers add those?

all in all, shared banks should not be enabled, not mainly because its not classic but because its one of the non-classic things, that just made the game easier... again..

Xumosa
06-04-2010, 05:53 PM
I had an idea in this regard. Create some otherwise useless type of item that stacks and can be bought and sold for the exact same amount (as water is). Make it in various denominations - 1 plat, 10 plat, 100 plat, etc, and make it available on merchants that sell water and rations.

We could all then essentially drop transfer plat, just as we could in classic, without having to do anything with the shared bank.

Just a thought.

but it was so much fun writing words and making pictures with 1c all over the place :p

mr.miketastic
06-04-2010, 05:53 PM

True. I got burned just last night this way. Lost a few hundred P worth of stuff, and the jackass who did it pretty much gloated about it. My bad for not finding the perfect place; his bad for being a douchebag. Shared bank may not be classic, but it saves a lot of trouble if you can't find someone to transfer for you.

YendorLootmonkey
06-04-2010, 06:04 PM
True. I got burned just last night this way. Lost a few hundred P worth of stuff, and the jackass who did it pretty much gloated about it. My bad for not finding the perfect place; his bad for being a douchebag. Shared bank may not be classic, but it saves a lot of trouble if you can't find someone to transfer for you.

There is no excuse for not being able to find a place in ALL OF NORRATH that someone else can't find between the time you log out and log another character in.

oldhead
06-04-2010, 06:07 PM

I dont think shared banks would hurt the classic feel at all.

km2783
06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm not telling where my sneaksy trady loot on the ground spot is. but i've used it several times.

LOL I myself have been flatout told No on numerous occasions when offering to help people with transfers.

And the funny thing is I wouldn't keep the money/items. Heck, I correct people all the time on my Enchanter when selling jewelry who try to give me too much. Made some extra pp this way, too, when they tip me for being honest :D

mr.miketastic
06-04-2010, 06:54 PM
There is no excuse for not being able to find a place in ALL OF NORRATH that someone else can't find between the time you log out and log another character in.

Yes, I can see that, but there is also no excuse for being a douchebag. Let's say you have found a spot, but someone finds it, and grabs a couple of your bags. You ask the person to please return the items and thay say "What do I get?" You offer a reward, but the douchebag decides to pick over your stuff, take some items and all of the jewels you were going to sell on the other character? Yes, get your laugh out of the way, but it's always easy to pontificate when you aren't on the receiving end. Had I found someone's bags, I would have picked them up. asked them to name a few items in the bags and given them back without a fuss.
It's all too easy to use the excuse "Well you shouldn't have put your bags in such-and-such place" But I say there is no damn excuse for acting like an asshat to screw someone over. Let's get shared banks so assholes do not thrive here.

Elissa
06-04-2010, 06:55 PM
I dont think shared banks would hurt the classic feel at all.

Agree. Shared banks don't affect my perception of "classic" in the least. I am all for enabling it. Though I'd probably find myself playing even more given the simplicity of handing stuff to my alts... :D

Xenephex
06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
We're talking about two different things -

One is drop transferring items, which is very classic and which I did then and do now and which I think should stay as it is. I always knew some safe places and the only time I ever lost anything is when I made the mistake of doing it in Rivervale, where some of the NPC's are 'tidy' and pick things up.

The other one is drop transferring plat (what this thread was about), which was also classic and which can no longer be done because of the client side restrictions. Personally, I don't have a huge problem taking the 5 percent or so loss involved in dropping vendor gems, but that is still not quite classic. I was trying to suggest a way that even plat transfers could be re-instituted within the current limits of the game.

The shared bank is very convenient; I would love to have it. But it's not classic.

Malrubius
06-04-2010, 09:29 PM
If you know anything about this server, you know that shared bank slots will not (and should not) happen.

girth
06-04-2010, 09:37 PM
In diablo 2, if you got into the very high end such as joining IRC chats to find out which IP servers were going to spawn diablo clone and such, you did a LOT, and I mean a LOT of mule'ing items.

To alleviate some of the problems this caused, they kept a 'trusted transfer list' that had a list of trusted people that can/will do transfers for you. Could try something like that.

mr.miketastic
06-04-2010, 11:57 PM
In diablo 2, if you got into the very high end such as joining IRC chats to find out which IP servers were going to spawn diablo clone and such, you did a LOT, and I mean a LOT of mule'ing items.

To alleviate some of the problems this caused, they kept a 'trusted transfer list' that had a list of trusted people that can/will do transfers for you. Could try something like that.

This is a good idea/ My only misgiving is someone who gets on the list and then sees an item they cannot resist. That can be a problem, and there is no way to recover items or money that someone has ganked from you. Like Boneface did.

JazzineCleric
06-05-2010, 12:26 AM
I remember the good ole days in the sarnak fort in loio...all the copper on the ground.../mourn the good ole days.

FatMagic
06-05-2010, 01:47 AM
I'd really like there to be a way to transfer cash between toons. Currently I don't "know" or "trust" anyone in the game (i'm not in a guild), so I wouldn't be able to get cash to my other toons. Any way to enable only cash transferring on shared banks? Or allow for coin dropping? That would be great :)

YendorLootmonkey
06-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Yes, I can see that, but there is also no excuse for being a douchebag. Let's say you have found a spot, but someone finds it, and grabs a couple of your bags. You ask the person to please return the items and thay say "What do I get?" You offer a reward, but the douchebag decides to pick over your stuff, take some items and all of the jewels you were going to sell on the other character? Yes, get your laugh out of the way, but it's always easy to pontificate when you aren't on the receiving end. Had I found someone's bags, I would have picked them up. asked them to name a few items in the bags and given them back without a fuss.
It's all too easy to use the excuse "Well you shouldn't have put your bags in such-and-such place" But I say there is no damn excuse for acting like an asshat to screw someone over. Let's get shared banks so assholes do not thrive here.

I transferred my stuff behind a random spire/pillar thing in Dagnor's Cauldron... wasn't no one that was gonna find that shit in the 90 seconds it took to relog my alt. :)

rioisk
06-05-2010, 04:57 PM
No shared banks forces people to develop trust with people/build friendships.

I think something people forget is that all these "conveniences" of modern mmorpg reduce interaction between players. The more the computer facilitates the experience the less people will interact. Verant did a 100% stellar job in forcing people to interact......it's almost like they knew if people didn't have to interact they would do so minimally. Do you guys realize WoW is solo-questing, no-talking auto-formed cross server groups, and pickup raids?

I vote for as much headache as possible to accomplish things solo. The more headache the better.

PearlJammzz
06-06-2010, 06:18 PM
How about ya'll do it the classic way, and make friends/join a guild? If not, find some BFE corner of some zone that no one goes into to transfer items. Most cities have random places in the zone that almost no one ever goes to.

maya
06-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Having to drop items / trust others with valuable platinum is risky, seemingly stupid, and extremely frustrating if the inevitable occurs.

Sounds like classic mechanics to me.

gnomishfirework
06-07-2010, 02:18 AM
I'll be happy to transfer anything for anyone. My main is Tork, but I have a paladin parked in EC tunnel. So hit me up on Tork and Ill do transfer with my paladin at tunnel (though ill be able to port around soon, so if Im not busy I'd probably do it on my main, but donation would probably be appropriate.)

I've been scammed before so I wouldn't do it to anyone.

Course, you still have to trust me =P I'm not a thief though. I got scammed out of everything i had once by a douchebag druid who I paid to PL a rogue for me and to transfer some items. He took the items and the plat and didnt even PL me. It wasn't even all that much, maybe like 800pp all together, but it was everything I had.

He laughed at me and bragged about it.

Mady
06-07-2010, 09:50 AM

I hunted South Karana a lot back in the day. Would go to the top of the tower at the NK/SK zone line and drop items and plat to transfer to one of my other characters.

Also droped a 5 dose SoW potion in Halas once to transfere to another character. Accidently dropped into a snow bank and it dissapeared. Never was able to retrieve it.

Malrubius
06-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I hunted South Karana a lot back in the day. Would go to the top of the tower at the NK/SK zone line and drop items and plat to transfer to one of my other characters.

Also droped a 5 dose SoW potion in Halas once to transfere to another character. Accidently dropped into a snow bank and it dissapeared. Never was able to retrieve it.

The snow is deep in Halas.

Also be careful of NPCs. There are some extraordinarily dishonest halflings in Rivervale, which I found out the hard way once upon a time. This one even said "ooh, that's nice!". :eek:

Divarin
07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
i say if possible enable dropping coins.
a) it's true to the classic game
b) it enables monks to keep their weight down (although so does destroying)
c) it enables poor newbies to get some starting cash.

Chicka
07-31-2010, 02:02 AM
A looong time ago, the game "saved" your character every I think 30 seconds. So people would drop coin, and /quit out before the game auto saved, when they came back, they still had their old coin count, plus the world had saved the coin on the ground. When that exploit was discovered they stopped allowing coins to be dropped I think.

This.

Eventually they figured out saving characters only needed to be on zone or the character leaving the world. I think the 30 second save probably still occurred, I don't recall being rewound too hard on a server crash.

mmiles8
07-31-2010, 04:22 AM
If you want to transfer money between characters, purchase gems, drop the gems. Gems vendor back for just slightly under what they cost. That's how I do it. If your charisma sucks, get a buff.

Can't find a safe spot? Choose a spot that's hard to get to instead. The tops of buildings are good choices, they take longer to climb than it takes to log over.

Also here, I dug this up:

No conspiracy theory about crashing zones or duping. Saves were done at regular intervals, which was the 'soandso saved', but also at EVERY interaction with the item database. Dropping an item or trading a copper would force a character save, and prevent you from all but server data losses. Often times things really are just done to make the CS staff's life easier.

The introduction of the fastdrop command, and a caveat to coin dropping.
AUGUST 1, 2000 (http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000801.html)
Please note that whatever your setting, coin will always be dropped without confirmation.

The removal of coin dropping.
NOVEMBER 7, 2001 (http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20011107.html)
Added code that prevents player characters from dropping coins on the ground. This should prevent the loss of coins due to accident or scam.

hacks
07-31-2010, 05:31 AM
Some people seem to be under the impression that dropping items on the ground to transfer them is safe if you find a secluded area. Just a warning: using certain 3rd party tools - or manually manipulating the client memory yourself - you can see and pick up any item dropped on the ground within your current zone from anywhere within that zone. I can personally verify that this works even on P99.

I do not know if there's anyone actively exploiting this on this server, but it is easily possible and should be taken into account before attempting to transfer high value items in this manner.

Itchybottom
07-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Some people seem to be under the impression that dropping items on the ground to transfer them is safe if you find a secluded area. Just a warning: using certain 3rd party tools - or manually manipulating the client memory yourself - you can see and pick up any item dropped on the ground within your current zone from anywhere within that zone. I can personally verify that this works even on P99.

I do not know if there's anyone actively exploiting this on this server, but it is easily possible and should be taken into account before attempting to transfer high value items in this manner.

"Item ganking" as you speak of, requires a client initiated movement packet to be sent (DoTheZone.) They'll show up in the hackers table for such things; but using something nefarious to look at the groundspawns, and simply running to it is certainly an issue. I guess either way, the end result is you losing your items. I think the best way to transfer items ... is to be social, and get some friends you trust.

mmiles8
08-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Old thread I know, but I came across this when I was looking for something else in the news archives. This was the old scam, so if we ever do go back to coin dropping, it should serve as a nice 'heads-up' for folks.

Hello all,
There are a number of scams out there where nefarious inviduals attempt to get people to perform a series of operations that results in the victim unknowingly dropping their coin on the ground. In order to help our players avoid these scams, we're taking action in the patch on Tuesday. We first considered popping up a confirmation box when attempting to drop coin on the ground, however upon reflection we could not determine a reason why anyone would want to do this, except perhaps when attempting to "self-trade" items and coin between characters. However dropping things on the ground is as you can imagine an extremely unsafe and unsupported way to trade items, and has created more headaches for players and our CS staff than it has done them good.
To that end, beginning on Tuesday the dropping of coinage will no longer be allowed by the client. Players will of course still be able to destroy it if they wish, for instance, to releave themselves of unwanted copper.

We look forward to hearing your comments. If there are any reasons that dropping coinage should be allowed that we haven't thought of, please reply and let us know.

Thanks,

Gordon Wrinn
Associate Producer
EverQuest Live and Expansions
Sony Online Entertainment

A discussion thread on the topic, the first post describes exactly what the scammers did:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=304

toddfx
08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Well now that the thread is resurfaced, here are my two coppers.

Exactly how long is the timer for dropped items? I used to do this all the time back on live, but haven't attempted it here on P99. I used to do it in Freeport on the second floor of the inn near the bakery behind a dresser!

And yes I would make pictures and write notes with copper. I was upset when I tried to make an image here and was not allowed to...

Kevris
08-13-2010, 06:30 PM
I contend that removing the need to have a player transfer your equipment to another of your characters contributed in the downfall of the community, much in the same way as the Bazzar, instanced content, and hub/teleportation zones did.

Down with the shared bank!

Villide
08-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I'd think any Ranger guild in Norrath would be safe.

YendorLootmonkey
08-13-2010, 07:21 PM
I'd think any Ranger guild in Norrath would be safe.

Oooooh... two-month delayed BURN!!

rioisk
08-13-2010, 07:32 PM
I contend that removing the need to have a player transfer your equipment to another of your characters contributed in the downfall of the community, much in the same way as the Bazzar, instanced content, and hub/teleportation zones did.

I agree with this. Though annoying sometime, the lack of easy-mode and social networking tools made the world seem more real.

Villide
08-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Oooooh... two-month delayed BURN!!
LOL...I'd kind of forgotten there were other boards besides R&F. :D

bhatz01
08-13-2010, 08:31 PM
No shared bank. Everything that people recommend to make things more convenient and "easier" or more "logical" are all the same things that turned our beloved classic experience into the abomination the game is currently.

Easy does not mean fun.

mmiles8
08-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Down with the shared bank!I agree with this.

No shared bank.

The shared bank doesn't work.

Kevris
08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
The shared bank doesn't work.

Were you to read some of the previous posts, you'd see people asking for it to be implemented.

XDrake
08-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I know it's embarrassing every time I have to ask a relative stranger if he can hold it for me...

Ain't that kind of gay? :P

mgellan
08-13-2010, 09:45 PM

/ all GUILD

This is something Guildies do for each other all the time...

Regards,
Mg

davedeck42
08-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Ain't that kind of gay? :P

as long as you dont look each other in the eye you are ok

Jeice
08-14-2010, 12:54 AM
It also crashed zones, if done in large enough quantities.

Something about running across the Karanas, leaving a breadcrumb trail of copper. Servers didn't like that.

I loved doing that in noob starting areas. GM's back in the day would do the same for a few different events.

XDrake
08-14-2010, 01:26 AM
as long as you dont look each other in the eye you are ok

What if I semi-intentionally begin to stroke?

Farlis
08-14-2010, 05:02 AM
my favorite thing to do was to drop a plat or gold on the ground, use minor illusion to turn myself into it then pick it up. Always confused the hell out of newbies.