PDA

View Full Version : The Estate of Unrest

Aegnarion
10-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Intro

Centuries ago a noble family, the Quellborns, left Erudin to make a new life in Faydwer. Nicadius, the husband, was a priest of Quellious as well as a musician and composer. He was accompanied by his pregnant wife, Jessa. Tragedy struck on the voyage, and Jessa, ill and near death, delivered a healthy baby girl but died soon after. In his grief and joy, Nicadius named the girl Jessa. They reached Faydwer safely and established their home in the remote southern mountain range of Butcherblock known as Dagnor's Cauldron. The body of Lady Jessa was buried on the grounds, her grave consecrated to Quellious, and a gazebo was later built on the spot. They named their new home The Estate of Rest, establishing it as a place of rest and recovery for those in need of respite from the dangers of the Mountains, and those weary of the world.
Jessa grew in peace and beauty, nurtured by her father, the senior servants Hemstall and Ryline, and Quellious. In time she reached maturity, met, was courted by and wed a dwarf of Kaladim, Kyll Rucksif. He loved her greatly, and she him, and soon she was with child. Much happiness was brought to the mansion as servants readied the new nursery in anticipation. In his happiness, Nicadius was composing a lullaby for his first grandchild, but he never got to finish it...

Kyll had a brother, Garanel Rucksif, who hated his brother and coveted his lovely wife. One dark night while Kyll was away from the castle, Garanel came to put an end to them all. Fueled by envy, hatred, and a liberal helping of strong dwarvish spirits, he crept into the mansion and slaughtered everyone. The last to die was Nicadius himself, who had been standing vigil that night in the chapel above the conservatory. Perhaps Nicadius cried out in that final moment, for as the madman struck him down Quellious came, and in Her ire cursed Garanel to forever haunt the scene of his evil, and Garanel dropped dead on the spot.

Someone must have buried the victims behind the mansion, but there were no blessings placed on this cursed ground. Perhaps Garanel drove them off before they could finish. In any event Kyll never made it home, at least in life, but his ghost stands forever in the yard trying to get to Jessa to save her despite his wounds.

Recently, drawn by the dark energies of this haunted mansion, a priest of Fear has come to torture the eternal residents, defiling the chapel and making Fear supreme here. It is unclear if he even knows that Garanel needs little help to twist forever in the evil winds of his own deeds. Deep beneath The Estate of Unrest he waits, and watches...

The Cleansing of The Estate of Unrest

It had been a long time coming. The Estate lay untouched for many years and the undead were beginning to become quite the problem for those who dare to venture to Dagnor's Cauldron. I had received a message from a young lady who had ran all the way from Freeport. She was hired from the bard guild, banging her drum as she moved her feet to the beat she used the song Selo's Accelerando to aid her travels.

Trissa Whistlesong: Hail, Aegnarion, Knight of Truth.

Aegnarion: Hail, Trissa Whistlesong. What is the reason you travel to meet my presence?

Trissa Whistlesong: I bring a quest from The Hall of Truth, Sir Valeron Dushire hired me to bring this message to you in good time.

Aegnarion: What is this quest you speak of?

Trissa Whistlesong: I have a sealed note for your M'Lord, he requested that you read immediately and do not let any prying eyes see what it's contents are.

Aegnarion: Thankyou M'Lady, I shall send word of your speedy delivery.

*Aegnarion puts his hand deep into his coin purse and retrieves 5 platinum pieces for the bard*

May you have a safe journey back to Freeport, Mithaniel Marr watches over you.

Trissa Whistlesong: Thankyou M'Lord! Most kind!

Trissa Whistlesong set off in the direction of Kaladim at great speed. I looked down at the note, as I broke the seal I pulled the contents out and also out fell a map.

It was a note, it read:

Dear Aegnarion,

I have urgent matters at hand that prevents me from attending the cleansing of The Estate of Unrest.
As I will not be there to lead charge, I put you, my most promising Knight as Commander of
this quest.

In Dagnor's Cauldron there is a tent with 4 adventurers who often set camp to make trade for
travelers, a safe haven at times. A Gnome, Wood Elf, High Elf and a Dwarf. I have arranged for a squad
of many different circles of life to aid in this process. There you will find an Erudite named Heccate,
Dwarf named Argam, High Elf named Daszle and a Wood Elf named Kuldrae.

Once you meet with them, please find enclosed a small map, a rough drawing of where you
may find the location of this forsaken place.

I wish you luck on your mission and I know you will do not only me proud,
but The Hall of Truth and most importantly Mithaniel Marr, who will also be guiding you.

Sincere Regards,

Sir Valeron Dushire

Hall of Truth Paladin GuildMaster

Holy Knight of Norrath

I folded the note and map, opening my rucksack I tucked it away.

Upon entering the Dagnor's Cauldron I could feel something in the air, this place was not good. As I venture through the valley I felt unprepared for what lie ahead of me, along the way I stopped by a tree and vomited a couple of times. Perhaps it was them fish rolls I had a few days previous, they were coming to quite an age. As I reached the end of the valley, I saw the sky appear in the crack of the opening at the valley mouth. As far as the eye could see, rocks & water.

As I followed the map given to me to the right I could see as I reach the top of the mountain the camp as described by Sir Valeron Dushire.
http://wiki.project1999.org/images/Dagnor.jpg

I made haste to reach the camp, when I saw everyone described but the Erudite. I felt my eyes tingle, as I gained vision to other planes around me, she was there alright, but she was invisible. I made greetings with each and every member of the squad and within the hour we set off in search of Unrest. As we made our way around the waters edge, we came across much undead which were poor souls who had fallen to this barren, neglected landscape. Scalded rats roam the rocks, but scurried along to their own business.

After what felt like hours, we saw the dark, misty, gloomy entrance that had to be Unrest. Using my SoulFire to lay light to the passage, we moved further down the tunnel until we reached an opening. The place was eerie, there was purple mist that fell gently around the landscape. My vision was limited, but thankfully I had other members in my squad which had much better vision than me.

On the floor the sound of pincers clacking together rung through our ears, death beetles! There was hundreds of them, a whole swarm. Heccate began to cast spells to boil their blood, Daszle chanted to slow the pincers of the beetles while me and Kuldrae swung left to right, right to left, in our trail leaving several corpses. The crack as we hit each of their shells rang out through the tunnels. We was slightly wounded from out combat, with the aid of Argam who cast spells to heal our wounds, we prepared for what lie ahead.

Aegnarion: Here's the plan. Kuldrae I want you to sneak through the entrance doors, upon entering I require you to harmonise all the undead you can see without being spotted. I will enter the building on your say so and open fire on what lies inside and run for the exit. Daszle, you are to mesmerize any additional foes and keep them under until I am ready to blind my next foe. *puts on charming voice* Heccate, stand there and look pretty. *snaps out of it* Argam! Keep us in the fight friend!

*Heccate chuckles at Aegnarion*

Kuldrae: As you wish.

Daszle: On your command!

Argam:... *meditates*

Kuldrae reached out, opening the first door, upon entering a lurking mummy in the nearby corner of the hallway lept to attack, this set off a chain reaction. In under minutes, the door was swarmed by at least six ghouls and two mummies. Daszle was quick to mesmerize the whole pack and they stopped in their tracks as they enter a deep trance. With an arrow shot from one of Faydarks finest bows, Kuldrae broke this on a ghoul as it run towards us I withdrew my Ghoulbane and Shiny Brass Shield. It ran into my blade, smitten by the powerful runes which were embedded to Dismiss Undead and the ghoul let out a loud shriek ringing our ears and disorienting the whole team. Heccate boiled the blood which remained in each and every ghoul as we repeated this process for the whole pack which attacked us.

As we stepped over the remains from combat, we entered the house as a force. From the hall way we heard scream, what we could only assume was tormented souls lurching deep beneath the surface of the house. We proceeded with caution up the main room stair case. We took the left and as we walked down the hall way, a carrion ghoul charged, shrieking at us spitting its foul fluids. Again he was no match for the legendary weapon Ghoulbane, falling to the ground, another ghoul was defeated. There were several attempts from the ghouls to defeat us throughout the house. Each to only meet the same fate. Ghoulbane.

Upon reaching the top floor, we heard cackling. Kuldrae kicked the door open as a festering hag jumped out and cast some kind of gravity spell, as we all flew through the house hitting each and every wall on the way down to the main room again. We all hit the final wall and fell into a heap on the floor. As we got to our feet an undead brewmaster jumped out from the room behind us, waiting for his perfect moment to strike, this was it. We was surely defeated.

From the door way a powerful Erudite stepped in and mesmerized the entire hall ( including us! ) as the spell wore off, we jumped out of the way as he brought round a second wave of the area of effect mesmerize. This was no time to say thankyou, we still had a fight on our hands. Breaking the mes on the brewer we hacked away at him piece by piece until he was just a pile of bone chips, all the while Argam was providing us aid from afar with his clerical healing powers. We then proceeded, with mighty caution to the festering hag. Upon breaking the mesmerization, Kuldrae and I let rip at her with our blades, upon realizing she was resisting the might Ghoulbane I threw it down and reached for SoulFire. With each swing of the blade she grew weaker and weaker, the Erudite who stepped in to help had rooted the hag to the ground while proceeding to weaken her against magic. Heccate was soon to follow suite by casting a powerful spell that tore the festering flesh from the hags decaying bones and with the hags final smite on me she fell to the ground.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/astroino/hag.jpg

Aegnarion: Hail mighty Illusionist. Speak, what is your name?

Devak: Hail, I am Devak of Erudin. I followed your band to this Estate, I have heard rumors that a cleansing was soon to take place and I came along to see what riches I might find here.

Aegnarion: We are not here to steal from the dead, if you so wish to recover items you may do so when we are gone. Thankyou for aiding us in that battle, we was surely not going to make it had you not turned up though.

Devak: It was my pleasure M'Lord. I respect your wishes on this crusade and will act accordingly.

It was at that moment the screams began to ring from the abandoned house, as we each covered our ears the door just on the left of the main room burst open and infront of us was the Evil known as Garanel Rucksif.

He charge straight at me, with a blow to the gut I was winded. Fighting to stay on my feet Kuldrae jumped from a nearby pillar slashing him in the back with his magical weapons.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/astroino/EQ000049-1.jpg

Heccate was unable to do anything until Devak had again weakened Garanel's magical resistances but upon completion of that began to expulse the undead, beginning an exorcism. Daszle proceeded to blast the undead with pure magic, it was like firework night inside the main room as it lit different shades of red, white and blue. As I finally fought back to my feet I reached for the Ghoulbane. I could feel the power trying to escape from the blade but Garanel was too strong to be damaged by it, in turn I felt my very bones ignite inside. Realising it was too weak I reached for SoulFire. At this point Argam drew attention to himself from the constant aid by healing our wounds and opened fire, from the door way a saviour appeared. Argam was close to dead so I focused my healing and manapool into fully restoring his health, known to Paladins as Lay Hands. The saviour I speak of was not Lay Hands, but Saiv a brave Erudite cleric. He healed the wounds of the damaged dwarf just enough to keep him alive in time for my healing to take full effect on his wounds. Garanel was angry, furious as he thrust forwards to attack me once more.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/astroino/EQ000050.png

Heccate was close to no mana, Daszle not far behind. The battle was in full swing and we needed assistance, both Argam and Saiv focused enough mana to join Heccates exorcism and with a final swing of SoulFire, Kuldraes green jade broadsword he was banished from the mansion.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/astroino/EQ000051.png

A loud thunder of his voice cry out for assistance and a skeletal monk come rushing to attack the party, having just banished Garanel he was not a match for the fantastic 7 and quickly he was laid to rest. We rushed to the front of the mansion, opening the doors he float nearby the fountains. Garanel was nearly defeated. Legend had it he can not ever be banished from Unrest due to his previous banishment by Quellious to the deep dark depths of the mansion. But SoulFire was famous for absorbing its foes souls after each fight, hence the name. We rushed to attack with all of our might left in us. The exorcism team now split, Heccate cast a lifedraw spell, siphoning the last bit left in his wretched body. Daszle continued to smite with his arsenal of spells and finally the cleric duo lay one last heal on each of our souls before going into a state of meditation. Kuldrae and I continued to swing at his ghostly image and with the mightiest of blows I shouted:

Aegnarion: GARANEL RUCKSIF, JOIN THE SOULS OF A THOUSAND BEINGS TRAPPED IN THE SOULFIRE FOR ETERNITY.

The world around me began to warp. As Garanel let out a cry, a liquid split from his soul leaking onto the floor, as he was absorbed into my blade.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/astroino/EQ000043-1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/astroino/EQ000046.png

The battle to cleanse Unrest was now over. With the defeat of Garanel the purple mist began to clear, the sky began to grow brighter as the sun shone through the purple mist dispersing into the atmosphere. Roses began to blossom before our very eyes all across the yard. It was a beautiful day in The Estate of Rest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shout out to Heccate, Kuldrae, Saiv, Argam, Daszle and most importantly Devak for making it all achieveable!

-End notes-
The intro is not mine, nor do I claim it to be mine. You can find the original <a href="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/The_Estate_of_Unrest/Lore">Here</a>.
I have not spell checked it - deal with it it's late!
Yes Heccate is a necromancer, I tried to avoid this to fit in with the plot as much as possible.
I do NOT own the map used in this post, I obtained it from <a href="http://wiki.project1999.org/Dagnor%27s_Cauldron">Here</a>.
Sorry for the UI in the last shot, I took one to show he dinged me but forgot to grab one of his corpse and no UI!

Swish
10-26-2012, 01:53 AM
5* thread, would read again :)

Diggles
10-26-2012, 02:09 AM
5* thread, would read again :)

dragonfists
10-26-2012, 02:38 AM
whoa paladins do exist

Reiker000
10-26-2012, 02:49 AM
tldr

Emilly
10-26-2012, 03:03 AM
Great Post!!

Cyph
10-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Woah, awesome work, love it :)

Interesting, you pulled the ghost out there... I always remember camping him at his spawn spot and clearing the pathway to him.

Aegnarion
10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
tldr

[[ Thanks, it's people like you that push me to write just that extra bit more so it's even longer :) ]]

Extunarian
10-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Fun read. Nice work.

you really should spell/grammar check it once though since many people will read it, and you already put the work into the content

Aegnarion
10-26-2012, 11:06 AM
[[ Thanks! I do spell check it after it's done, but I usually just put that at the bottom until I can go over it later, in case anyone reads it while i'm checking and decides to pull me up (trolls) on it. However this one I didn't spell check until the morning since I finished and it was late. ]]

fishingme
10-26-2012, 12:14 PM
awesome read! Only wish I was on my cleric at the time to have grouped with you!

gloine36
10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Nice literary work. I encourage you to do more.

Aegnarion
10-27-2012, 03:52 AM
[[ Gonna be a bit MIA this upcoming week or so, lots of work so stay tuned it'll be awhile before the next escapade! ]]