PDA

View Full Version : Everquest newbie looking for some help...

Verterdegete
05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Hey guys. I really want to start playing EQ, and i was thinking that i start playing it on this server. But, i think ill need some help. I was hoping if you could recommend me some guide which is helpfull at this version of the game. Also i would like to get some general info about the game - is there pvp, how do you lvl (questing or good ol' grinden), what kind of endgame does EQ have etc. Thx for help in advance.

Branaddar
05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure where there's an old guide around, but I can toss out a few answers/tips for ya.

1) Exp is almost purely mob grinding. Yes, there are some quests in some places early on that you can repeat for some good xp (Gnoll Fangs in Qeynos, for example,) but for the most part you'll be killing for xp rather than tracking down quests to complete.

2) EQ has some of the best end-game material, imo. It's a lot of fun, it's challenging, and it tends to require a big number of players to complete. The only time you will be doing raids with 1-2 groups is when you're farming content that's 5 expansions old. Which won't be happening on this server.

3) Pick a class that you will enjoy first and foremost. Things to take into consideration when choosing:

Do you get frustrated when you die?
Do you prefer to stay in camp or running around pulling mobs?
Do you like to have a "vital" role in the group. Keep in mind these vital roles (healing, tanking, crowd control) are also high-stress and you need to learn your class really well to be good.
Do you want to be able to solo? Keeping in mind if the answer is yes, you will probably be playing a class that is very over-populated on the server.
Grouping and Raiding are two completely different games. Depending on the class you play, raiding can be very stressful.

It's all about what you want. I'm sure we can help you pick a class if you give us an idea of your play style.

3) Grouping isn't *really* mandatory... but it pretty much is. Apart from a few of the soloing classes, you'll be grouping with others to get your xp and equipment upgrades.

4) This game is heavy on the community aspect, due to the grouping almost-requirements and the large numbers required for raids. Ass-hattery and "I'm a badass" attitudes may get you the praise of other asshats, but in general won't be a good thing for you. Unless you join an asshat guild, of course.

5) This game, in its classic form, is hard. Levels take a long time, death is punishing, it takes a long time to get from Point A to Point B, etc. Not trying to discourage you, just be aware that it is much more challenging than the current generation of MMOs.

6) Each class tends to have a handful of quests they should do. Things like spells or certain weapons/armour that help you out in some way. But they're usually not until in the 40-50 range anyway, with some exceptions of course.

7) Welcome to P99! :D

Verterdegete
05-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Thx for info and advice :).

About race/class choice. I don't really know. I played all kind of classes (and roles) in other MMOs, but since i'm a newb and this game is difficult i better not take some class with role of critical importance to the raid. Ill go with the ranged DPS then. Any advice?

Branaddar
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Well, I enjoyed the wizard I played back in the old days, but I'd probably recommend a mage or necro. Both are capable of soloing and provide good DPS in groups. They also have some utility functions in their later levels.

Mages are able to cast Call of the Hero, which summons a targeted player (in the same zone) to their side. Useful for mobilizing to raids (latecomers after the raid is deep in a dungeon especially.) They can also cast Modulating Rods (modrod for short.) They're a summoned object that can be given to other players (though typically they were put on the floor) and clicked to sacrifice some HP for mana.

Necros are able to Mind Wrack. They steal mana from a mob that has mana (so not a warrior/rogue/monk/etc class mob) and it gives mana to the rest of their group in return. They're also able to snare (slow run speed) which is great for kiting (running ahead of a mob killing it while it chases you... slowly) and mobs that run away at low health. They are also able to Feign Death. Flop on the floor and trick mobs into thinking you're dead and losing hate. They can also summon corpses for players (handy if a group/raid wipes.)

Both are able to solo well with their pets. Mages tend to do it by letting their pet tank while they heal it. Necros tend to do it by kiting with snare and fear with their pet whacking at it. Though later on I believe their pets tank well. Necros are also able to lifetap (steal health from a mob and heal themselves and/or the group.) They also get a pet buff that gives the pet a lifetap proc (spell that randomly fires as they melee.)

Anyway, both are good DPS, good solo, good utility.

Wizards are a consideration, but can be frustrating. Very much a DPS-spike class rather than prolonged DPS like the other two. Teleportation to the various wizard spires around the world is about their only utility apart from a mediocre snare. *shrug* I loved mine, but really, I think Mage or Necro is a good choice to start you off.

You'll make decent money and be able to solo when you want to and still be wanted in groups and raids as well.

BuzWeaver
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Bran gave you a very nice outline. If you're going to create a character in Faydwer then the Crush Bone Belt/Lego Pads quest and Bone Chips turn in, both in Kaladim (and bone chips in Felwithe) are fairly easy ways to get a little extra experience while hunting.

There are a few other minor quest in Faydwer that are worth doing, however it may involve a little more work and time.

Here are some good resources:

General Over-All Game information: Allakhazam's (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/)

Trade Skills/Crafting: EQTraders (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/)

You can also get Server related info from the Library Forum: The Ultimate Classic EQ Resource Thread (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1348)

Verterdegete
05-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Cool. Mage it is then. What, race should i pick btw? Erudite perhaps?

Tseng
05-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Cool. Mage it is then. What, race should i pick btw? Erudite perhaps?

Doesn't make much of a difference. Pick one you won't mind staring at for days on end.

Verterdegete
05-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Is this pure ''vanilla'' server or are some expansions included?

PS: This blond chick on CD covers is hawt :D

martigan1983
05-31-2010, 12:26 PM
erudite without night vision is hard in the beginning

astarothel
05-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Starting in Tox suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. If you play an erudite get at least to qeynos as fast as you can.

Examino
05-31-2010, 02:50 PM
erudite without night vision is hard in the beginning

I don't have any vision problems with humans/erudites on p99 like I did on live

Branaddar
05-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Right now it's plain Vanilla, but they have plans to add Kunark and Velious later on down the road. But very slowly, so no rush. They won't be adding any more after that, as Luclin and beyond are when the game started to deviate from the original plans, for better or worse.

Far as race goes...

Dark Elves have good int and the best night vision, but are generally hated by other races. Not a huge deal, but you can't visit other cities.

Erudites have no night vision, but get high int, and are pretty neutral in their faction standings. I can't say for certain, but I believe they can waltz around most of the neutral/good cities.

Humans are just like Erudite, but with a little more "rounded" stats and the most neutral race around.

Gnomes and High Elves are decent choices as well. They get heat vision, a middle-level night vision mode.

All in all, starting race isn't a game-changing thing for the most part. There's not a lot of need to go to other races' cities anyway, and the rare occasions that you need to (like for epic quests when Kunark happens) there's some way to do it without getting whomped.

Generally, your home city is your base. It's just convenient if you're a good/neutral race to have more cities to head to for spells/vendoring off loot/banking after fighting somewhere far from your home town.

President
05-31-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't have any vision problems with humans/erudites on p99 like I did on live

I don't believe in original there was ever an option to change your gamma in game and most people didn't know enough to go into their video card settings. Now the option is in game, and I feel like after install of titanium, its default was much higher than the original default.

martigan1983
05-31-2010, 04:05 PM
I remember my first char in EQ, monk human, after 20min, night fall and I told myself, never a race without night vision again

Elendae
05-31-2010, 04:27 PM
I kind of threw something together on the wiki. I need to flesh it out some more, but I think it works.

http://moestaverne.com/p1999wiki/index.php/Players:Newbie

Zordana
05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
nice! keep up the good work

Hiragawa
05-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Clutch your Fire Beetle Eye. Love your Fire Beetle Eye. Never leave home without your Fire Beetle Eye :P

Verterdegete
05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
I kind of threw something together on the wiki. I need to flesh it out some more, but I think it works.

We have a wiki, nice ;). Really helpfull info there. Thx...

Verterdegete
06-01-2010, 05:23 AM
K guys, i'm inside. If you see Vendis the Human Magician, send me a /wave (and some cash :p )...

Olorin
06-01-2010, 05:58 AM

Although its a little dated now, it micht be helpful to have nilbogs breakdown chart ....

http://www.project1999.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=138&d=1271445428

Alleusion
06-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I don't really like the night blind races *glares at Branaddar for wanting to play barbarians*. For an int caster, I typically prefer high elves or gnomes...even if they're puntable.