PDA

View Full Version : Rolling an Alt.. Rogue or Bard?

Options
10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
What say you? Determining factors would be overall enjoyment of play. Class need in groups 50-60 and gear dependence/cost.

Extunarian
10-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I would try the bard first to see if you can play one. I sure can't...way too busy for me. But if you don't mind being unable to afk for more than 6 seconds it seems like a really fun an interesting class.

Rogue is certainly cool as long as you realize you'll be 100% group dependent. But like I said, see how you like barding first as there are no other classes like it.

webrunner5
10-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, otherwise I would play a Bard. Nice class.

Rogue is a great melee class, but totally suck solo. Lot of them now with Epic's at level 5. Tough decision which class I guess. I would go Bard if you can twist.

Roll a Mage if you are cheap. They don't need any gear on paper. Necro pretty much the same.

Group need hard to say. I mean people invite Rangers in groups at all levels. So I don't think there is a BAD class to be that you are not going to get a group. I guess a Cleric would be #1 need at level 50 and above in a group. They suck at killing things not undead, but they are not a bad tank if you equipt them right, as well as a healer.

Ferok
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM
I would try the bard first to see if you can play one. I sure can't...way too busy for me. But if you don't mind being unable to afk for more than 6 seconds it seems like a really fun an interesting class.

Rogue is certainly cool as long as you realize you'll be 100% group dependent. But like I said, see how you like barding first as there are no other classes like it.

For a pet/caster group, an AFK bard is the perfect addition.

Neryn
10-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Gear dependancy/cost : Bards.
You dont really any except good instruments (best droppale full set for about 20k) and breath of harmony once you're 50+.
Rogue needs good weapon to shine. Ragebringer being almost mandatory.

Group utility 50 60 : discutable.
Best dps versus overall utility. Bards are needed in many raids situations though.

Enjoyment of class : Bard.
If you enjoy being busy, go bard. Many fun stuff to do in group. Various gameplay. Can shine solo, duo or in groups...

Silo69
10-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Gear dependancy/cost : Bards.
You dont really any except good instruments (best droppale full set for about 20k) and breath of harmony once you're 50+.
Rogue needs good weapon to shine. Ragebringer being almost mandatory.

Group utility 50 60 : discutable.
Best dps versus overall utility. Bards are needed in many raids situations though.

Enjoyment of class : Bard.
If you enjoy being busy, go bard. Many fun stuff to do in group. Various gameplay. Can shine solo, duo or in groups...

did not read, after best droppable full set for sbout 20k, i know that ss bp is around 150kpp if not more... and ur legs... hahahaha bwwhahahahahahah again, did not read after "best in slot full est 20K"

Diggles
10-29-2012, 03:39 PM
thing is you don't need bis for leveling and if you're good could get by naked with just instruments

Thulack
10-29-2012, 03:46 PM
did not read, after best droppable full set for sbout 20k, i know that ss bp is around 150kpp if not more... and ur legs... hahahaha bwwhahahahahahah again, did not read after "best in slot full est 20K"

Pretty sure he ment full set of best instruments for 20k hence the parenthesis after the instruments part. Your toon ingame named Newbsauce?

Options
10-29-2012, 03:49 PM
I cant afford best in slot gear by any means seeing as my main is only a 40ish Necro. Im just talking in terms of good enough gear to do the job well.

Kender
10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I cant afford best in slot gear by any means seeing as my main is only a 40ish Necro. Im just talking in terms of good enough gear to do the job well.

well if you can work out how to ae kite, all you need is a lute (any), drum (MM drum is fine), and a horn (any). Obviously the better these are the easier it will be to kite but not essential. a little bit of armour and some 5ac55hp rings will help a little with the roundup, but if you get hit while kiting you're probably dead no matter what gear you are rocking. Better instruments will reduce the time it takes to complete the kite (which is why it's easier with better instruments)

if you want to level via groups you'll need more armour with AC and HP (you WILL get hit alot unless you group with a good SK or PAL), and some CHA gear (for less mez and charm resists).

as for rogue... you can get quite alot of STR gear pretty cheap, and you dont really need ragebringer to be effective (sure it's real nice, but you'll still outdamage most at low levels without it). Rapier of Oriin is nice (12/25), or serpents tooth (13/27). or a little cheaper is Slimecoated Harpoon (10/25) and you'll still do ok. there are alot of other options for rogue too. You will need to group as a rogue though so that's something to consider

Tecmos Deception
10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
If you're AEing to level up, you literally don't need any gear for a bard at all. Merchant instruments double your effectiveness basically and cost only a few pp. Other than that just get cheap hp/ac/dex gear I guess?

A rogue can be fun even without epic, but you might get scoffed at if you're wearing fbss (or no haste item!) and using some 11-damage piercer for a weapon, since so many people are used to seeing epicced rogues no matter what level they are.

Like people said though, an untwinked rogue will be 100% reliant on groups (or, at the very least, a duo with someone who can fear kite) to do anything. A bard can solo (in multiple ways, too... ae, charming, fear kiting for sure) or group (though they aren't desired for groups like clerics, tanks, or enchanters are) to level.

At 50+ rogues are the best sustained DPS for groups and raids, but since every rogue needs to group, there end up being quite a few sitting around LFG. Bards are super awesome for dragon/god raids, but are mostly just mana batteries and last-resort CC in planar raids.

Kraftwerk
10-29-2012, 04:10 PM

A Bard with basic instruments is only marginally less effective than a Bard with BiS droppable instruments.

Neryn
10-29-2012, 04:47 PM

I lol'ed at your reading skills and the 150Kpp on SS BP. :)

Options
10-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the input guys. So far im leaning towards bard.... I do like the idea of being the best dps as a rogue. The main thing that worries me is the lack of groupage from 35-45

GenieHakeem
11-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I have been debating a bard for alt or just funsies to test out.
Bards do get quite a nice bonus of things:
-swarm kiting
-spells/songs (since rogue would be clickie/buff/potion dependent)
-track
Just to name a few

Silo69
11-05-2012, 10:44 PM
I have been debating a bard for alt or just funsies to test out.
Bards do get quite a nice bonus of things:
-swarm kiting
-spells/songs (since rogue would be clickie/buff/potion dependent)
-track
Just to name a few

halfling rogue +10% xp
any bard -40% xp

gl & hf

Silo69
11-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys. So far im leaning towards bard.... I do like the idea of being the best dps as a rogue. The main thing that worries me is the lack of groupage from 35-45

your rogue would be 47 your bard would be 36

if you made a halfling vs any bard

Arrisard
11-05-2012, 10:55 PM
If you have a knack for AE kiting, the 40% pentalty bards carry will seem downright laughable when people try to tell you bards level slowly.

PopoTheGreat
11-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Rogue = Hardcore, roll a rogue. :b