PDA

View Full Version : Shaman Slows

Netherzul
10-30-2012, 02:45 AM
Another thread, sorry but another question just hit me.

During live, my main was a Shaman and iirc, Shaman slows would land on boss targets, but the full slow wouldn't take effect. It would land for something like 25% or 30% but not the 75% of the final slow for Shamans.

Is this the case on p99 and during velious? Which bosses currently can it land on? It's been so long that I can hardly remember.

Thanks again

pasi
10-30-2012, 03:18 AM
Slows being partially mitigated was PoP-era and beyond. Everything is 100% or 0% here.

Few mobs are flagged as immune to slow. Most that are immune to slow are completely immune to magic (again, pretty rare). I think there are a handful of mobs here immune to changes in attack speed, but not MR.

Here's an approximate list:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://eqdiary.tripod.com/quests/slows.htm

Also worth noting is that slow is not a disease yet.

Netherzul
10-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Awesome, thank you for posting this.

So essentially, the big dragons are immune to slow minus vox? Good stuff, thanks again!

Reiker000
10-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Nothing should be immune to attack speed before Luclin iirc. Definitely not in Kunark. That was a feature they added since prior they had to make a mob completely MR immune to block slow, which obviously fucked over all the other spells that weren't slow.

And then yeah, they added slow mitigation in PoP for nearly the same reason. SoE realized there were some mobs (Lord Inquisitor Seru) that they didn't want to make completely slow immune. So they added the crappy disease slow and made him MR immune and they were right back to that problem again so they just added slow mitigation in the next expansion to keep MR viable.

Now that I think about, "immune to changes in their attack speed" might not have even came about until PoP (essentially being the 100% slow mitigation option). It was definitely not on any Kunark or Velious mob for sure, you either couldn't land any MR on the big mobs (Dain, Yelinak, Avatar of War, etc.) or you could fully slow (Aaryonar). Kinda sucked to raid as a shaman in Velious (although not as badly as an enchanter post-Kael nerfs). Either the entire fight depended on you (again, Aaryonar), or you were pretty much useless and better off boxing a cleric for the chain (Avatar of War and just about everything else). What was nice was that Velious was the first expansion to finally start itemizing gear towards Shaman and soloing was a blast.

pasi
10-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah, that was the case on live. On here, there's mobs that are not MR, but are immune to slow (or mez, charm, etc).

The general rule of thumb is that if it is classic and harms players - it's in. If it's classic, but helps players - it's out.

Droog007
10-30-2012, 12:48 PM
When did slows start adding disease counters rather than only being removable by cancel magic line or running full duration. In other words - will I ever be able to cure slow on my melees, and safely remove DS from a mob without risking removing slow?

isoka
10-30-2012, 01:36 PM
When did slows start adding disease counters rather than only being removable by cancel magic line or running full duration. In other words - will I ever be able to cure slow on my melees, and safely remove DS from a mob without risking removing slow?

------------------------------
April 23, 2002 3:00 am
------------------------------
- Casters of slow spells recently given a disease component (such as
Shiftless Deeds and Turgur's Insects) should no longer attract undue
attention to themselves.

source : http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2002-1.html

Lucy Spell history :
2002-04-24 12:09 Added Slot 4: Decrease Hate by 200
2002-03-19 05:50 Added Slot 3: Increase Disease Counter by 16

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spellhistory.html?id=1588&source=Live

According to those 2 sources, slows going disease curable occured in Luclin era

Everlove
10-30-2012, 01:46 PM
About slows... One thing I've noticed, maybe it's just me...

It seems that Togor's is a much larger aggro/hate than Turgur's. There are occasions when I would use the 39 slow (when PL'n, or in a group that I'm healing/slowing/cc to conserve some mana). Especially on things that are lower level.. like clockwork gnomes in SolA etc. I've been helping someone level their warrior and it seems that when I slow a batch of gnomes with Togor's they're much harder to pull off me than they are when I use Turgur. Could just be me, or maybe there's a mechanic I don't know about... but I'd think the higher level slow would create at least the same amount of hate? It doesn't appear to be a fluke as I've spent quite a few hours doing it with the same results. Sorry if this derails things at all, but the OP topic seems to be settled and thought this might be a good spot to see if my experience could be explained. Thanks.

Netherzul
10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
When did spells like chloroblast make it into the game? Was that velious?

We're going to have a hard time in raids with slows but we will still bring the buffs, we can dps in place of slowing and will still have torpor :D and like you said, soloing will be win.

I need to decide on an alt to level with velious in mind too...monk/rogue aren't all that interesting to me ... I may make a Wizard!

Danth
10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
About slows... One thing I've noticed, maybe it's just me...It seems that Togor's is a much larger aggro/hate than Turgur's..

This is correct. Walking Sleep (the level 14 slow) also generates a curiously large amount of hate.

This means a Shaman may choose to use the 39 slow if he's concerned about aggro, such as when he has a warrior tanking.

I believe chloroblast is indeed a Velious addition.

Danth

Kender
10-30-2012, 03:54 PM
here is a nice list. it does include luclin and planes of power, but if you ignore that and use the rest it seems pretty accurate from what i remember (the ones listed as disease are probably ones that are highly MR currently)

http://www.less3d.com/show_chart.htm