PDA

View Full Version : Why a lack of Necro love on P99?

Netherzul
10-30-2012, 06:52 PM
With my recent question regarding Shaman slows, it looks like a lot of mobs in Velious will not be completely MR resistant according to the charts that were linked.

With that being said, on those targets that are not completely MR, wouldn't Necros, technically, be the best DPS in Velious? They have a venom dot (51?), their darkness line, splurt, life leech line, boil blood line and the cessation line (heart flutter) plus a pet and random lifetaps. Granted, all of this on a raid boss at the start will obviously get you killed, but stacking dots at say 60% would likely pull a Necro ahead of a Rogue even if he didn't start DPS until 60%.

Sorry if I made assumptions, just theory-crafting here. Anyone played a Necro during this era able to confirm? I do understand that Necro dots don't stack but IIRC, one Necro was assigned to DPS while maybe two others were designated to twitching.

All I see on P99 is Necros are only mana batteries but unless I am incorrect, for those wanting to roll a Necro without the desire to be 100% mana batteries, come Velious, I don't think you will have this problem.

Kender
10-30-2012, 08:00 PM
because necro dots didnt stack till after luclin or pop... therefore 1 necro might be good dps, but only 1 per raid could dps. that does not make the best dps class.

Tecmos Deception
10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Looks like devouring darkness, pyrocruor, vexing mordinia, cessation of cor, splurt, and envenomed bolt can combine for something like 100 dps. And then there is the pet.

But that is if everything works exactly according to plan. No resists, no interrupted spells, not pulling aggro, boss have enough slots to stick all that stuff, 100% uptime on all the dots, ridiculous amounts of rodding on top of lich and bardsong and catching med ticks in order to sustain the mana needing to keep up those dots, etc.

That's competitive with a rogue on a long-living raid boss, I would guess. But it isn't going to be hands-down better than a rogue in Kunark gear, let alone with 15/19 daggers with backstab mods, and the rogue doesn't need the stars to align in order to function at the 100+ dps level for a long period of time.

Sirken
10-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Necros are gods gift to Norrath.

confirmed true

Silo69
10-30-2012, 10:57 PM
gl getting all those spells off... resists, mana, if your not giving someone more important your mana, buffing someone, rezzing...

get over yourselves necros wizards rogues out dps you all day everyday out the dog run... u may get lucky on a boss or 2, but other classes keep it more consistant. Necro's are more utility minor dps than anything. Other classes just do it better.

Swish
10-30-2012, 11:07 PM
gl getting all those spells off... resists, mana, if your not giving someone more important your mana, buffing someone, rezzing...

get over yourselves necros wizards...out dps you all day everyday out the dog run... u may get lucky on a boss or 2, but other classes keep it more consistant. Necro's are more utility minor dps than anything. Other classes just do it better.

Yeah but sadly too many wizards on this server mana dump and AFK for 5 minutes, that's not grouping - that's leeching.

I played a wizard on live for a couple of years around Kunark and loved it. The standard (maybe mine are too high) of wizards constantly AFK here is shocking. Necros I welcome, consistent dps from the pet that will probably equal at least a wizard nuke if not 2 across a fight. Then add dots or nukes/taps depending how fast the mobs are dropping, and you're way ahead of them.

Vicatin
11-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Having a few necros in a raid is much appreciated. There are quite a few dot lines that can be managed by a few necros. Mana battery, summon corpse, good dps from just the pet.

Grouped with a nec in kc last night that was CCing as well as spot healing. Rather versatile.

Dirtnap
11-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I wish more necro's would use their healing spells.

Netherzul
11-02-2012, 02:55 AM
IIRC on live, during Velious, we have one Necro doing DPS...3 total in the raid.

He was always #1 dps. He even managed to twitch people and spot heal as well.

Wizards were never "sustained" dps in a raid I was in...ever. When the 30% mark was reached, it was 3-4 Wizards going completely OOM nuking back to back. They don't do DPS better, they are target burners.

Nirgon
11-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I wish more necro's would use their healing spells.

Ya esp when you can dispel the reactive here with cancel magic... lol oh boy.