PDA

View Full Version : Playing drunk vs. sober

Peppermint
06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Anyone else experience they play alot better the more drunk you get?
Especially as a chanter coming home at 4am after clubbing drunk as a skunk i seem to be the pwnage ~_~ I guess this game gonna make me an alcoholic (not that i wasnt one before but... you know...)

Anyway this post is pointless. Im just fucking bored at work, got the shakes for my EQ fix (and a beer)... 1 hour to go >_<

Bumamgar
06-01-2010, 10:20 AM
I used to notice something similar when I'd play billiards. Sober I'd over-analyze every shot, and be too stiff. After a few beers I'd loosen up, play more relaxed and go with my gut instincts more. Improved my game considerably. However, past a certain point, it'd get to be a detriment as balance, co-ordination and depth perception got affected, and then I'd be worse than I was sober :)

EQ is probably the same way in certain respects. Depending on the class you play and the dynamic of what you are doing, the relaxation effect of a 'good buzz' could definitely improve someone's game. Players that are relaxed and not all freaked out by imperfection (extra mobs in the pull, non-ideal class makeup, etc) do much better than ones that freak out and run for the zoneline every time things get a little crazy.

Shannacore
06-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Mm, this is good/bad.

Playing drunk is fun when you're in voice chat with a lot of people. Lots of hilarious memories from doing this.
It's not fun when you drunkenly decide to bind yourself in the middle of a solb camp. That was very, very not fun.

EQvet
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
There's pretty much nothing better than an ice-cold IPA (or 6), Conan the Destroyer / Barbarian soundtrack(s) + EQ. Epic.

Alleusion
06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, i've done it before and I'm much better when I'm sober.

Hiragawa
06-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't drink... but years back I used to group with another warrior, who every time she got up to get another beer, would ding. o.o

Dantes
06-01-2010, 11:42 AM
That's too long to wait to get another beer, especially during hell levels. Damn.

Kerrik
06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Bum's pulling in a group has been known to cause others to want to play drunk, especially Auena. :D

Myrkskog
06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I play better when I'm drunk. I drive and sing karaoke better as well.

Weekapaug
06-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I used to notice something similar when I'd play billiards. Sober I'd over-analyze every shot, and be too stiff. After a few beers I'd loosen up, play more relaxed and go with my gut instincts more. Improved my game considerably. However, past a certain point, it'd get to be a detriment as balance, co-ordination and depth perception got affected, and then I'd be worse than I was sober :)

I'm a "golden moment" pool player too. Before the 3rd beer, I suck. After the 4th beer, it all heads south. But I've been known to run tables off the break right around that 3rd beer. Kind of scary, really.

EQ is best played sober by me, of alcohol, at least. ;) I don't play as well and tend to get really chatty. I'm okay playing the xbox hammered, but smoked libations tend to work a bit better for me with PC games. And I prefer to do that only for something really boring that you have to kind of focus on, like tradeskills or a long camp or something. Honestly, I could count the number of times I've really played EQ drunk on one hand probably, mostly because they stick out in my mind. Like the christmas scotch incident right after Velious came out that I still hear about from some of my friends. Or the night I got lost in RSS trying to find my group....For like an hour. Thank you, rum + pineapple. LOL

Overall I feel like I get more done and play better if I play EQ sober, though. And I know my friend does, even though he insists he plays EQ better on fridays when he's drinking beer. He doesn't. LOL

Dork
06-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I tried playing EQ after coming home from celebrating my 21st bday. I woke up the next day, logged on..and I was naked. It was not fun trying to find my corpse. Then I quit drinking when it happened IRL too much.:o

Weekapaug
06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Thread brings to mind an anecdote I was sharing in global /ooc a couple weeks ago...

Back in original classic (although I think Kunark may have been out at this point) I had a guildie who was a bit of a nut and was known for being all kinds of fucked up when he played the game. While a little nutty, he was a fun guy and an awesome necro, and never caused any problems with it, so it was never a big deal...

One weekend he decides that this is the weekend he is finally going to get his SMR. He managed to get in the group rather early on friday afternoon and planned to stay in that group until he finally won the roll for an SMR.

Sometime around Saturday evening, it becomes known that our dear necro has been fueling this sleepless camp by eating tabs of acid every 6-8 hours or so. Sometime around mid-day sunday an SMR drops, which he wins the roll for. He arranges for a replacement and heads out, apparently still tripping and half batshit crazy.

As he is running north through South Ro, he admires his new SMR. By the time he has made it to the dock in Oasis he announces in guild chat, "this robe looks totally gay," hands it to a newbie on the dock and logs.

Logs in the next day like nothing happened. LOL

True story.

Tristin
06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
I have actually never been on a raid totally sober...

Akame
06-01-2010, 02:00 PM
We used to play drinking games in the warrior channel when we raided back in Planes of Power days. Every Friday night we'd take shots if we lost aggro. One Friday night we pulled in the entire healing channel to the game and I think the raid leader had to call the raid since about 30-50% of the raid was trashed. It was awesome!

Mleh
06-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Drinking and playing all depends on what your doing and how it affects people your playing with imo... I've had my share of irl and in game experiences of "how did I get here?"

Zereh
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
This pretty much sums it up:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1276/drinkinggamessolstyle.jpg

eqdruid76
06-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Seriously guys, it's been 11 years. Grow up....

Zereh
06-01-2010, 06:39 PM

Ok, Dad.

Shannacore
06-01-2010, 06:48 PM
This pretty much sums it up:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1276/drinkinggamessolstyle.jpg

Ha!

Dantes
06-01-2010, 07:12 PM

The only thing that has changed in 11 years is that I can afford BETTER LIQUOR now.

Nocte
06-01-2010, 07:16 PM
The only thing that has changed in 11 years is that I can afford BETTER LIQUOR now.

Except you still drink PBR.

Dantes
06-01-2010, 07:22 PM
PBR is the best man. Shit, it won the blue ribbon.

President
06-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I have never played EQ while drinking.

Yoite
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
omg i love pbr, its like the only cheap pilsner thats any good

omg omg omg AND I HAVE SOME IN THE FRIDGE RIGHT NOW AHHHHHHHHHH weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Akame
06-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Amen!

Spud
06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Honestly drinking while playing EQ is only fun if theres social interaction going on, in which case its awesome.

I couldnt drink and kite hill giants very long id just fall asleep in the chair.

LOL LIES

THIS LUSH DOES SHOTS IN BETWEEN PULLS

Arkanjil
06-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Honestly drinking while playing EQ is only fun if theres social interaction going on, in which case its awesome.

I couldnt drink and kite hill giants very long id just fall asleep in the chair.

LOL LIES

THIS LUSH DOES SHOTS IN BETWEEN PULLS

You hit it right on the money....drinking with friends while on ventrilo/teamspeak is an awesome time, otherwise I'd fall asleep as well.

BuzWeaver
06-01-2010, 09:49 PM

Just think of all you're missing. ;)

Akame
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Just think of all you're missing. ;)

Yes like mocked up quotes in guild chat of "Dude, Where's my corpse?"

Destructo
06-02-2010, 03:41 AM
Alcohol is for losers.

Kazzok
06-02-2010, 04:49 AM
EQ and beer go together like cocaine and waffles.

BuzWeaver
06-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Yes like mocked up quotes in guild chat of "Dude, Where's my corpse?"

That and the next day hangover.

Peppermint
06-02-2010, 06:30 AM
EQ and beer go together like cocaine and waffles.

Amen! I always mix up my powder sugar and my salt shaker of coke O.o

Akame
06-02-2010, 08:36 AM
That and the next day hangover.

+1