PDA

View Full Version : Exchange and money

GenieHakeem
11-09-2012, 11:42 AM
It seems to me that selling characters is how a lot of people make money for other characters on this server. I being the wonderfully new person to the server that I am, don't exactly understand that.
What is to be gained besides investing time into a character you just intend to sell to fund something else?
How many lazy people are there who just happen to have 30+ thousand to buy characters?

eqravenprince
11-09-2012, 11:54 AM
This goes into the category, what is your time worth?

GenieHakeem
11-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Ahh, that makes sense. I guess I'm too focused on my one character. I can see why people with a maxed main and some alts would just PL a money character, or level it up and fit with as good of gear as it can get since investing the small principle would yield a higher overall cost of the toon.

Soleryn
11-09-2012, 04:42 PM
How many lazy people are there who just happen to have 30+ thousand to buy characters?

A lot.

webrunner5
11-09-2012, 04:58 PM
A lot of people on here are into doing old school quests, trade skills etc. Some people are tunnel rats buying re selling items just to make a little plat. There is a lot of people on here that know where to go to get maxium XP quick and do re sell toons.

This server is a real mix of how people in real life are. Some are real go getters and raid 5 days a week and some take 2 years just to get one toon to level 40 and never raid. Its what makes life go around.

fullmetalcoxman
11-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I think it's mostly people getting bored/sick of characters or leaving the game and selling them off.

HeallunRumblebelly
11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I think one of the problems you run into is that the server has been out a long time, accounts and eqemu's are free so assets can be liquidated quickly. Also, raiding here requires placing characters strategically, so at least 2 characters are required to raid racing targets effectively, and it's far easier to buy one of these abandoned characters than it is to raise another, although PLing here is also easy enough.

I can PL a rogue 1-60 in ~ 3-4 days of grinding. It's not hard. The real value of a char comes with their VP keys and VP loot, which is kept behind gates of raiding.

L60 mage ~ 150k - 200k base. The earth staff from inny is worth about 150-200k, again, because it's behind that gate of raiding.

eqravenprince
11-09-2012, 06:15 PM
some take 2 years just to get one toon to level 40 and never raid

Count me in this category, sad but true.

GenieHakeem
11-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I'm just playing to play. Going to take my time, no real reason to rush through things. I personally am not a big raider, but might near the end.
Right now (as I type this) I am soloing to inch my little xp bar further and further, in hopes of one day being the big bad witchdoctor people will love and respect, mostly love, little respect.

Swish
11-10-2012, 08:31 AM
R99's stream of accounts available is particularly impressive given their population.

A1551
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
The character probably isn't being leveled with the strict purpose of being sold in many cases...I personally sold my first char, a paladin, once I reached level 52 after lots of endless grinding, mostly because I went from loving the class pre 50 to absolutely despising it post 50. I have no regrets, had a lot of fun leveling him up, and enjoy the heck outta my new main. Having tens of thousands of plat the second time around was nice too although I actually didn't spend very much of it on him. I don't think I'd ever sell my main (now chanter) as I absolutely love playing it. But I can see people getting bored of plenty of other classes and wanting to make a switch with a leg up -- the fun is the journey not the destination right? Likewise I think a lot of time when people quit they'll give their accounts to friends (which get sold) or sell their acct and give the money to friends, etc, or sell an account they previously bought to buy a big ticket item or a new class they want, etc.

As to people with tons of plat on their hands, yep, they exist too. I was able to sell my paladin in only a few days. Again, a PALADIN. I was surprised at the amount of interest I got for an account with no gear and marginal 50+ utility outside of tanking in exp groups.

-Propo Fol