PDA

View Full Version : Newb questions :)

Pimecone
11-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Hey all! Just started up here, been a long time since I smelled the crisp Steamfont air, is rather refreshing :)

I just had a few questions! I started out a little gnome mage named Pimecone to hopefully support a melee character in a little while -- is a mage a good choice for this?

Also, what melee characters are desirable or under played here? I'm an underdog kind of guy :)

Any advice would be appreciated, see you all around!

Pimecone

Darian
11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Hard to get more underappreciated than rangers. Paladins a close second.

Mages are a solid class for farming giants/seafuries for cash + gem drops, although they're not as well equipped to solo harder dungeon mobs for rare items. Good luck!

SyanideGas
11-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Mage is definitely a great solo class...As far as melee, not sure underplayed. Rangers are definitely underplayed along with Paladins. If you're duoing, i would say rogue for sure.

Rovas
11-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Just keep the pet exp distribution in mind :)

Pets and Experience
Oct 23rd update: "Classic pet experience distribution." Oct 23 2011 Patch (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showpost.php?p=441865&postcount=1).
In order to receive full experience for a kill solo, you need to do more than 50% of the damage to the mob. If your pet out-damages you or the group, it will take 50% of the experience away from the kill. This is a major change from the previous system, in which you only needed to do a single point of damage to the mob in order to get full experience. If you are grouped, your group and you will get full xp from the kill.

August
11-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Hey Rovas,

That is really confusing to me. It talks about solo -- that I get. 50% Dmg required to get FULL EXP. But then it says...

If your pet out-damages you or the group, it will take 50% of the experience away from the kill.

Then it says:

If you are grouped, your group and you will get full xp from the kill.

My initial thought is that you only need to worry about pet dmg when you're solo. If you're grouped, pet can do everything and you still get full XP. However, depending on how I read this, it seems like if the pet does more than 50% of the dmg in a group, then you still get your exp sucked away.

Somebody help! I need an adult!

Rovas
11-12-2012, 10:09 PM
The way its always been explained to me grp'd or not you have to do 51% of the damage to get full exp. If your pet does more than 50% damage then you or your grp, you will get half exp.

Swish
11-13-2012, 09:39 AM
The way its always been explained to me grp'd or not you have to do 51% of the damage to get full exp. If your pet does more than 50% damage then you or your grp, you will get half exp.

This isn't the case. If you're grouped the 50% BS goes away. I've duo'ed with an enchanter with a charmed pet and the XP was racing without either of us doing much.

Vicatin
11-13-2012, 09:51 AM
This isn't the case. If you're grouped the 50% BS goes away. I've duo'ed with an enchanter with a charmed pet and the XP was racing without either of us doing much.

I beg to differ.

eqravenprince
11-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Mage will work just fine for a soloing class. Paladin or Ranger are probably the least played melee classes. I would recommend starting your melee class as well, level him up to 5 and park him in a populated zone like EC, Crushbone, Blackburrow. You can look for a group for your melee class while soloing your mage.

Swish
11-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I beg to differ.

Expand...?

I've also duo'ed with my necro, where pets are clearly out-dpsing me and another necro at the spectres in the late 30s. XP per mob didn't seem to slow down. Sure, specs are quick anyway but if its a 50% XP drop per mob while grouped I'd be extremely surprised.

Pringles
11-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Yup, pet penalty goes away when grouped.

A1551
11-13-2012, 11:23 AM
As an enchanter who has done a lot of duoing where the pet is the sole source of damage I believe the exp penalty goes away entirely when grouped. With that said I have no empirical evidence of this so I couldn't say for sure. A 50% loss should be very noticeable. In fact I am fairly confident prior to level 50 (when exp per kill was measured in increments of 1% or more) I very clearly saw that there was no penalty grouped when compared to having my pet solo stuff while I soloed.

It was a while ago however and I could be mistaken. If you have any evidence or rationale to the contrary I would love to hear it.

Now I am curious and fortunately this would be a trivial thing to test empirically. Next day I am off work maybe I'll give it a try -- literally could be proven in 2 kills with a couple of level ones.
-Propo Fol