PDA

View Full Version : Grimrot insights?

pallius
06-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Anyone who has successfully camped grimrot in SK have any tips?

Anyone in the know know if there is anything special to do here? On regular servers its just a long camp with no special requirements.

aegohely
06-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Just kill the spawn and pray for Lord Grimrot to spawn.

I did it over 4 days of camping, with each session last 3-4 hrs. Got 2 undead Lord Grimrot spawn and 1 living Lord Grimrot spawn.

Lord Grimrot will spawn in one of the little hut with a bunch of skeleton around him. Depend on your luck, the spawn can be his placeholder or himself.

Smyd
06-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Undead version spawns at night only from my experience and the opposite for living version.

Its a long and tedious camp, just keep the camp clear and pray.
Killing the skellies also helps with faction in Qeynos you need for the quest.

Good luck!

Alawen Everywhere
06-02-2010, 11:47 AM
I had the same experience, long and dull camp. If you keep at it he'll eventually show up.

fabric9
06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Getting one was easy, the other was harder. You had to kill it at a precise ingame time in order for it to have a chance at spawning. Killing it over and over again reduced your chance at getting a spawn. Though I suppose just killing it over and over would work until you got the easy spawn.

I don't recall the exact numbers though, but I'm sure they're still around somewhere... check allakhazam etc.

astarothel
06-02-2010, 11:59 AM
On live it was 5 and 5 from what I remember, matching dead to night and live to day.

Here. Ehhhhhh.

I got dead at night from killing at 5, repop at like 6.
Day one I was just aoeing down the little ones as they spawned. He definitely spawned when I didn't think he was supposed to.

Uaellaen
06-02-2010, 01:31 PM
i spent 8 hours there and got undead and life version within those 8 hours .. i just cleard the camp whenever they poped (every couple minutes) ... and restocked our guild necros with like 20 stacks bonechips after that =P

Aedin
06-02-2010, 05:50 PM
If lacking both the scythe/heart there's no reason not to kill the ph every time it's up, until you get either live/undead Grim. Then, one should time the ph killing for whichever Grim version you lack. I've never seen live Grimrot spawn during night hours, and vice versa.

As a dark elf, the grimrot camp was cake compared to the faction work...aoe'ing putrid skeles and killing grimrot 2 times only got me from scowling to threatening, so even after technically completing the quest it was a long stretch aoeing all of BB and handing in 2gp at a time to lashun in qeynos until I was finally receiving the quest.

jilena
06-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Get the live kill when you are bored on your way to res some guildie who is apparently bad at Paw. Get the dead kill after hanging out chatting with some necro farming bone chips for 30 minutes. Win.

Was the experience different for you guys?!

pallius
06-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Well I think it may be excessively rare... especially considering you may have to kill it more than twice.

spoolie
06-03-2010, 02:19 AM
took me 18 hours to get mine...4 live version before i saw the dead finally pop at night

Flicka
06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Far as I know it's just luck of the draw. It's been a few months now so I'm forgetting which one is the common one - but according to Allakazam he was the tough one. NOT true, imho. He was a freaking cream puff. The rare one was the beast. But that's not the maddening part. The thing that will drive you MAD is getting your faction up, so save those bone chips & have a friend handy to keep hailing the guy in Qeynos so he'll stop walking away from you as you're trying to do turn ins.

If your faction isn't high enough the quest guy will take your stuff and give you nothing, or that was the deal on Live. Don't do that. Con HIM, not the bone/gold guy, who's happiness level with you goes up faster than quest guy. PITA.

You'll read some things as well that turning in the fish gives more faction. May be true but you can't kill them with the char trying to do the quest else you'll get a huge Life faction hit. Most people make a level 1 wizard to farm fish. You'll get a few, then you'll get ahold of 'The Fish that Cannot Be Killed!' because he's been buffed out the wazoo and has about a billion hps :D

Have fun! it's worth it tho, LOL

spoolie
06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
easiest thing to do for faction is just punch the guy. hes super low level and you can just keep handing in 2 gold to him..everytime you turn in he heals you so no worry about even dieing.

astarothel
06-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I made enough rep from killing putrid skeletons while farming him, and turning in bonechips from said killing to get the shield. I did no other faction work for priests of life.

jilena
06-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Far as I know it's just luck of the draw. It's been a few months now so I'm forgetting which one is the common one - but according to Allakazam he was the tough one. NOT true, imho. He was a freaking cream puff. The rare one was the beast. But that's not the maddening part. The thing that will drive you MAD is getting your faction up, so save those bone chips & have a friend handy to keep hailing the guy in Qeynos so he'll stop walking away from you as you're trying to do turn ins.

If your faction isn't high enough the quest guy will take your stuff and give you nothing, or that was the deal on Live. Don't do that. Con HIM, not the bone/gold guy, who's happiness level with you goes up faster than quest guy. PITA.

You'll read some things as well that turning in the fish gives more faction. May be true but you can't kill them with the char trying to do the quest else you'll get a huge Life faction hit. Most people make a level 1 wizard to farm fish. You'll get a few, then you'll get ahold of 'The Fish that Cannot Be Killed!' because he's been buffed out the wazoo and has about a billion hps :D

Have fun! it's worth it tho, LOL

The rare one is the undead. You can kill it in like 2 nukes at 50. The live one seems way more common and is higher level. Neither are "hard" though if you are over like level 40.

Crover_CT99
06-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Took me about 6 hours of clearing to get both, with dead version being the rare.

I was 40ish cleric at the time, I would just round up all skeles each spawn and aoe them down.

Didn't pay attention to day/night and just cleared.

Just so you know, the guy you turn the quest into is on the paladin faction, and the faction you raise for the quest is the cleric faction. The reason I say this is because the guy you turn in the quest to will stay indifferent, so make sure to con a priest character to check your faction. Otherwise, the supposed trick on turn in with faction is whether or not he responds to prompts and tells you where to find the materials.

Flicka
06-03-2010, 10:18 PM
The rare one is the undead. You can kill it in like 2 nukes at 50. The live one seems way more common and is higher level. Neither are "hard" though if you are over like level 40.Probably right, I was low 30's when we did him so at the time he was pretty mean :D

jilena
06-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I still like my ~30 minutes of camping story.

Zagtor
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
A quick note to those who claim that live only spawns during the day: Live Grimrot just spawned for me at 11pm.

Zagtor
07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
And dead version spawned three cycles later at 6am

Chicka
07-06-2010, 03:27 PM
On this server I do not believe the night/day thing is implemented. It seems to be random. I got one of each - I know I got the undead one during the day.

It works like this: kill placeholder, 3 hours later, if the placeholder is clear he will spawn, if not I think the spawn waits until PH is cleared (based on one observed case of the immediate spawn happening - ymmv)

Hrist
08-18-2010, 02:49 AM
been camping Grimrot for over 24hours now between me and some friends to have it cleared every 6 mins. Only 1 live spawn, and that was only after the first hour, why is this mob so rare??

Flicka
08-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Because the item you'll be getting - you'll be using into Velious. It'll be the first thing you loot, the last thing you lay down. You'll sleep on it in the field, and it will hold you and sing you lullaby's. You'll hang it in your window on sunny days to make rainbows. It's just that awesome.

Kizzik
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Coming up on hour 30 for me. 2 lives so far, no deads.

Can anyone confirm the 3 hour respawn timer? Someone earlier said that he got live, then dead 3 cycles later. Is that 3 cycles as in the 6 min 40 sec PH respawn or the 3 hour respawn?

Basically I'm wondering if I can sneak in some sleep after I kill the one that I don't need.

Lumathix
09-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Cleared camp (skels and putrid skels) for about 4.5 hours yesterday. Live grimmy spawned at 9pm game time. Killed him. Cleared for another 6 or 7 hours. Still no undead grimmy.
Camping again today.

Lumathix
09-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Killed PH and rest of camp at 5pm game time. Had one more cycle with a PH in it. Cleared again. Live Grimrot spawned after that. Killed him at 10pm. Could have spawned at 9pm again.

Carron
09-15-2010, 03:45 AM
So far, 5 hours and 15 minutes at this camp and not one- Live or Dead. I havent been following any of the 'rules' of the camp, just killing PH'er when it pops.

Still here. 10 hours and 32 minutes.

Almost 12 hours now. Havent seen either of them.

I GOT IT. I GOT IT.

I think it was 12 hours and 32 minutes. I was too damned excited about it, so I didnt check.

SPECIAL THANKS:

Seren (bard) for coming to my rescue. Had him down to 50% and was only medding enough to keep him feared. Seren dotted him down the rest of the way for me. He ran from a Quillmane spawn to come help me, so if you see Seren, he is a very UNSELFISH player and deserves a pat on the back.

Nightsblood (cleric) for helping me kill the Live spawn and offering advice and help. Also rezzed my two corpses.

Noleafclover
09-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Hi Pallius!

-Took me 22 hours. 5 for live, rest for dead.
-If it takes you a substantial amount of time, stop looting bone chips for priests of life faction
-I've heard enough to know that dead is much more likely at night, while live seems just barely more likely during the day (than to come at night).

They are spawning during both, but if you get live grimrot first (likely, dead's harder - not just in my experience, but in most's) kill your PHs a little after 5 pm to get the maximum number of shots at dead grimrot (I believe 5 pm's right, but you might want to search exact time of night on this server, I can't remember off hand).

Lumathix
09-15-2010, 01:41 PM
46 freakin hours at 10 and 12 hours at a time for the camp.
So not worth my time.

Messianic
09-15-2010, 03:57 PM
That scythe is leet. SBH equiv omg

Rejuvenation
09-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I spent 36 hours on this camp over 3.5 days. The time of day does not matter, I had my undead Grimrot spawn during the day. The spawn is like 6.5 minutes, it is just a really low chance. There are many myths about this camp but my experience seemed to bust most of the claims. Get some movies ready, its not a fun camp.

Edit: Im a dark elf and was allied with priests of life by the time i got both pieces. I had to work on Knights of Truth before i could turn it in without being killed in the spaceship.

Kizzik
09-15-2010, 05:21 PM
time of day does not matter

Confirm. I AoE'd the entire camp every 6 minutes. 30-40 hours later I had both pieces, about 500 bone chips, and max faction from the putrid skeletons.

In the end I had 2 lives 1 dead, all during the day.

Blancah
09-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Been camping this on and off the last week. Zero dead and one live version until tonight. Then I had two live versions pop within thirty minutes of each other.

Oh Lord Grimrot, how I hate thee.