PDA

View Full Version : Shaman - AC vs. Wis

RahlaeRuffian
11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Was just wondering what you guys like to keep your wisdom at. I'm level 32 right now and I'm at 143 wisdom and 592 ac. I usually pull with slow, hit em with the dot and just melee and nuke until the mob dies. I find there is a lot less down time doing this compared to rooting the mob and just dotting/nuking. So, I guess what I'm asking is am I going about this right? I know I will switch things up a bit once I get my pet at 34, but I want to be geared properly when that time rolls around.

Hroth
11-29-2012, 05:37 AM
Your wis seems about right for your level. It will always be a balance between wisdom and hp/ac. At level 52 but without any planar I'm at 162 wisdom which seems to give me enough of a mana pool for grouping or soloing.

By level 40-45 you're going to find it starts to be more efficient to root/dot rather than slow, melee, and nuke. At least I did. However I'm a broke shaman with no JBB, fungi, or any other toys. Your melee damage is going to continue being less worthwhile as you level and mobs just keep hitting harder. Your slow gets better, but it is a huge mana hog too. If I'm fighting a low hp mob I'll root, dot, and then send pet in at around 40% or so to help finish them off. If the mob has lots of hp and would require multiple dots, I usually use Tagar's insects, root it, and let pet dps the whole time while I dot and canni dance.

Camulet
11-29-2012, 08:20 AM
I currently have 202 wis hehe poor me, but once I am able to acquire a fungi and torpor (im lvl 56 atm) then the need for wis will disappear! Unfortunately my ability to win /ran on a significant item is preventing me from affording these items!

Zartron!

theaetatus
11-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Think about it this way.. Wisdom doesn't speed anything up. It just increases mana pool, not regen.

Camulet
11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
There have been lots of times in groups, (only when the make up is not perfect i.e no ench or cleric). Where I have burned through my mana pool healing or CC and the extra mana has meant I could handle more.

But for the majority of the time when soloing or in groups with ench/cleric then it is definately wasted mana just sitting around.

With topor and fungi makes regening mana in a a hurry alot easier. My whole intention is to dump alot of wis once I have these items and put it in to HP/resist gear.

Z

Triangle
12-08-2012, 04:49 PM
At 60, the more HP you have the earlier you can cast torpor. This is because if you cast torpor when you have 1200hp left, and you only have 1900 hp maximum, you are likely to lose the benefit of some torpor's heals. However if you have 2300hp maximum then you likely will get torpor's full benefit (the mob will hit you for the extra 100).

This is important because the earlier you can cast torpor the less likely things are to go wrong, and the more room you have for interrupts, and even adds.

I think my wisdom is somewhere near 150 at lvl 60, but my hp is in the 2300's. My ac is also pretty good at 890 or so. In battle, I constantly cast either canni/jbb/epic/torpor, so doing this you really don't benefit from a ton of wisdom.

zrugg
12-08-2012, 09:24 PM
are there any decent bps with ac hp other than jb bp/ planar bp lookin for something in the 5 to 10k range. i know most wear fungi, but was curious if higher ac /hp might be better with torpor

mazukon
12-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Most people are going to give you an answer assuming you are level 60. Since you are not, mana is caster's most important stat. Get it as high as you can.

Think about it this way.. Wisdom doesn't speed anything up. It just increases mana pool, not regen.

It's also the difference between being completely out of mana from chain resists or getting that last root+gate off. Something that happens frequently at level 32 while leveling up.

phobus
12-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Most people are going to give you an answer assuming you are level 60. Since you are not, mana is caster's most important stat. Get it as high as you can.

I disagree. A deep mana pool means you can kill more things consecutively before you go OOM. In the long run, this makes no difference to how quickly you gain experience since you just take longer to med to full.

But if you gear for AC first, and secondarily HP/mana, the hits you inevitably take will do less damage, meaning you spend less time regenerating and medding. End result: you level faster.

The only thing it helps to have a big mana pool is when you're splitting a camp of multiple mobs. Of course, there are times and places where that is necessary, so I'm not saying to disregard mana entirely - but it is certainly not the only stat to consider.

It's also the difference between being completely out of mana from chain resists or getting that last root+gate off. Something that happens frequently at level 32 while leveling up.

If you get resisted more than very occasionally, you are fighting the wrong mobs! :)