PDA

View Full Version : Hey Project 1999

Safon
06-07-2010, 01:15 AM
I was recently reminiscing about eq1 with some guys, and one of them mentioned this server as a refuge for classic fans, alive and going strong. The concept of Project 1999 is nothing less than a dream come true for me, but im trying to limit my expectations about it until i got some feedback from you guys already playing it.

Is this the classic experience we all remember? Is the population of the world healthy? And is this server friendly to those of us who were just average players back in the day?

Qaedain
06-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Yes, yes, and yes. Absolutely to all of your questions.

gnomishfirework
06-07-2010, 01:58 AM
The community here is pretty decent. Definitely less jerks than nice people.

Its been fun for me so far.

RKromwell
06-07-2010, 02:17 AM
It is fun, just be ready for sticker shock when you go looking for that one item you really want. With the prices I have seen some people charge, you think they would proc death touch.

Still, good fun. The people are awesome.

Feiel
06-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Best MMO out right now!

Brut
06-07-2010, 10:50 AM
As close to Everquest as you can get imo.
The community is more than decent, think 700+ folks on peak hours at the moment, going up and up. Running into any grand-scale douchebaggery is a rare occasion moreso than a norm. As an example, I don't remember high lvl casters drive-by buffing me as a newbie on live as often as I do here.

And I was damned average on live, feeling fine here. =p

Bruman
06-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Is this the classic experience we all remember? Is the population of the world healthy? And is this server friendly to those of us who were just average players back in the day?

Yep, it's quite classic. Boats are goofed, and there's some other things you'll see here and there that are "off", but it definitely feels like playing the game you remember.

The community in game is pretty nice and helpful, the forum here can be a bit rough though, but it really represents a small portion of the playerbase (just a loud, vocal one).

It is fun, just be ready for sticker shock when you go looking for that one item you really want. With the prices I have seen some people charge, you think they would proc death touch.

Just to toss in my two copper, on that, it seems everything falls in 1 of 3 price groups:

Useful to mid-levels, but comes from something other than solb and lguk - 20pp
Useful to higher-levels, but common drop - 250pp
Useful to high-levels, and probably even raiders - 2k-12k.

Stickyfingers
06-07-2010, 11:25 AM
It's awesome and addictive all over again. I played SoD (and of course live) for about a year and that was very fun, but not classic. This is genuinely classic for the most part and is as addictive as the original, plus all of the nostalgia keeps me going and the fact that this server is not overloaded with high levels yet.

Branaddar
06-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Honestly, it's pure awesome in a can. SOE tried to (and did) grab a lot of oldschool players back with the Progression servers, but they just restricted zones and levels and races. We still had all the "new" features and zone revamps and quests in place. It wasn't nearly classic.

This server's main focus is on turning the clock back. No newbie armour quests, no revamped zones, all the zones as you remember them. Granted, there are some issues as this is based off a "best approximation" of the game's mechanics.

Nobody has the source code for how combat and such works, so there are some things that will feel a bit "off" but they're constantly tweaking to try and get things just right.

From the limited time I've had to play (my GPU's on the fritz so I can't play) it's been a lot of fun, and there's been a lot of friendly people.

The one downside I can think of is the overabundance of soloers. Can make it difficult to form a group when half the server population are mages and necros ;)

guineapig
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
You have come to the right place. Welcome!

Soft
06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
the server is most definitely THE BEST option for people who were in love with classic Everquest. Lots of zones are packed with people, crushbone, unrest, guk, sola/b the only thing I would warn you on is the game feels almost EXACTLY like live did. The great parts and the not so great parts :P

Tudana
06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Honestly, it's pure awesome in a can. SOE tried to (and did) grab a lot of oldschool players back with the Progression servers, but they just restricted zones and levels and races. We still had all the "new" features and zone revamps and quests in place. It wasn't nearly classic.

This server's main focus is on turning the clock back. No newbie armour quests, no revamped zones, all the zones as you remember them. Granted, there are some issues as this is based off a "best approximation" of the game's mechanics.

Nobody has the source code for how combat and such works, so there are some things that will feel a bit "off" but they're constantly tweaking to try and get things just right.

From the limited time I've had to play (my GPU's on the fritz so I can't play) it's been a lot of fun, and there's been a lot of friendly people.

The one downside I can think of is the overabundance of soloers. Can make it difficult to form a group when half the server population are mages and necros ;)

/Wave Branaddar

Welcome Op,

P1999 is the place to be if you are tired of the crap out in the mmo market now.

Nothing brings gaming fun like old school EQ did and yes, you can relive those moments...P1999 proves it.

Safon
06-12-2010, 04:33 AM
Perfect :p, can't wait. Ive gotta wait two months while im away for a summer job, but after that ive got the year to play.

This server is expected to be as you all say it is well beyond 2 months right?

Kerrik
06-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Perfect :p, can't wait. Ive gotta wait two months while im away for a summer job, but after that ive got the year to play.

This server is expected to be as you all say it is well beyond 2 months right?

I don't think they expect to even open Kunark until sometime this fall. The expectation is Kunark will open around the 1 year anniversary, in October, with Velious a year later.

Odds_against_me
06-12-2010, 01:27 PM
umm CLASSIC NOUGH SAID FOOOOOOOO

Taluvill
06-12-2010, 01:39 PM
umm CLASSIC NOUGH SAID FOOOOOOOO

Odds Areimdead!

haha