PDA

View Full Version : New to Project 1999... would like some advice

Trinidy
01-01-2013, 11:39 AM
So, I am loving P99 since I found out about it a few days ago.

I was a EQLive playing from Beta in January of 1999 and still currently play.

I have played a raid Enchanter for 13+ years. Over the years I have played every class and loved everyone of them.

So coming over to P99, I decided I did not wnat to play an Enchanter and decided I would start a Mage.

I forgot how hard it is in old world EQ lol! Especially gearless.

I am questioning my choice of player class now.

I wanted to ask you, the community your opinions on player classes and what I should play.

Because of my play time, and work schedual I am on a European time zone play time. My peak playing time is around 1pm EST, so on my Live server I raid with a Euro guild.

I would love to get to the level to where I can raid on P99, albiet down the road some.

What are some of the classes that raid guilds look for? Is there an influx of certain classes over another? is there a class maybe that I should play because its needed more in high end game, or in high end groups?

I am enjoying the mage. I am just dreading the epic quest. I had no problems with epic on live since the mage pet post 60 is beast, I tore PoA apart at level 95 without even loosing a single % in HP on pet.

I dont think this wlil be the case since it will require raids for PoA, and god back in the day I remember PoA raids taking 2-3 days to do with camp outs for sleep in between.

Because the server seems low at my peak playing time, I have to consider that Soloing is going to need to be an option for me, or at least small group useability, which is one of the reasons I picked mage.

abolutly under no circumstance will I play a cleric. I have never played one, nor do I have any desire to.

Classes I have considered, and why:

Wizard - I had a friend in classic EQ who could quad kite as a wiz, and it was great exp. plus the bonus of porting would save time....ALOT of time.

Bard - Back in beta I orignally played a bard to level 12. I remember how hard it was to twist back then, and Im concered im not skilled enough. Yet, lack of gear would make solo unviable. Not even sure how usefull they are in raids. Epics- SUPER HARD to get... I think like 3+ dragon kills??

Rogues - If I remember right, back during classic EQ this was the class for DPS. Where monks on EQLive can out DPS a rogue now, back then Rogues were the shit. Obviously concerns here would be soloability, but it may be eaiser to get groups.

Warrior - I loved my Warrior on EQLive that I box with now. He can take a beating, and is needed and wanted in all types of groups. Solo is a possibility..... just at lower levels.

Monk - not sure how soloability, but the shear fact that equipment when Kunark came out made monks do more dps, the fact they can FD will get me out of hairy situations when trying to solo.

Enchanter - I have been an Enchanter for 13+ years. I know how to play one. On EQlive they are practically black listed since CC is not a big dea like it was back in the day. So I know as an Enchanter its an esential group element. Where I know how to charm kill, since that was my bread and butter even up to leveling to 100, I was really trying to stay away from enchanter and try something new.

I know there are more options out there, but nothing really interests me. I also know I am going to get alot of opinions about playing whatever class I want to play etc etc.... but like I said. Im looking at end game as my goal.

I am dreading camping for equipment or farming plat again, but I am up for a challenge.

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any advice, and assistance that you can provide me... Its been so long since I have had a challenge in EQ that i really dont know what do it.

Hollywood
01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
So, I am loving P99 since I found out about it a few days ago.

I was a EQLive playing from Beta in January of 1999 and still currently play.

As a favor, mind giving us some high res photos of EverQuest as it is now?
I know some of us would like a 'then and now' comparison. Videos don't do justice and I do not advise you Google search images for "EverQuest now and then" - not the results I was expecting.

I have played a raid Enchanter for 13+ years. Over the years I have played every class and loved everyone of them.

So coming over to P99, I decided I did not wnat to play an Enchanter and decided I would start a Mage.

I forgot how hard it is in old world EQ lol! Especially gearless.

I am dreading camping for equipment or farming plat again, but I am up for a challenge.

Coming from where you did, the lack of equipment would only exacerbate your new situation. Mage is a fine starting class, as well as other casters like Necromancer. It's often recommended you choose such a class to learn how to solo again while leveling and also be self sufficient. Eventually you'll be farming/camping mobs others cannot and then twinking your melee characters. Mage pets are quite durable and allow you a lot of relaxed semi-afk playing, however per classic, Mage pets eat considerable amounts of experience if you try to play that way.

Because of my play time, and work schedual I am on a European time zone play time. My peak playing time is around 1pm EST, so on my Live server I raid with a Euro guild.
I would love to get to the level to where I can raid on P99, albiet down the road some.
Because the server seems low at my peak playing time, I have to consider that Soloing is going to need to be an option for me, or at least small group useability, which is one of the reasons I picked mage.

Even more reason to play a self sufficient/caster type class.
And visit this page for European guild http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66996

What are some of the classes that raid guilds look for? Is there an influx of certain classes over another? is there a class maybe that I should play because its needed more in high end game, or in high end groups?

At higher levels you'll find less Rangers, Rogues, Bards, Clerics, Enchanters and Wizards. This is due to a combination of things from the difficulty of leveling them, the 'end game' need for them and their overall enjoyment.

Most raid capable guilds have a sufficient amount of these classes, and if they don't they simply twink a new one and power level it up.

I am enjoying the mage. I am just dreading the epic quest. I had no problems with epic on live since the mage pet post 60 is beast, I tore PoA apart at level 95 without even loosing a single % in HP on pet.

I dont think this wlil be the case since it will require raids for PoA, and god back in the day I remember PoA raids taking 2-3 days to do with camp outs for sleep in between.

If you're worried you need a guild, don't be. It may help, however planes are easily done here and you could simply post on the forums you'd like a ride along for some epic items - that or get buddies with guilds, you don't have to be in the guild.

Wizard - I had a friend in classic EQ who could quad kite as a wiz, and it was great exp. plus the bonus of porting would save time....ALOT of time.
And that's how I would play it. Wizards do not often get groups, though the server could use more of them.

Bard - Back in beta I orignally played a bard to level 12. I remember how hard it was to twist back then, and Im concered im not skilled enough. Yet, lack of gear would make solo unviable. Not even sure how usefull they are in raids. Epics- SUPER HARD to get... I think like 3+ dragon kills??

A lot of bards here swarm kite so they are self sufficient at gaining experience.
A great bard though is one that understands working in a group and even more so can pull mobs due to their crowd control through twisting.

Rogues - If I remember right, back during classic EQ this was the class for DPS. Where monks on EQLive can out DPS a rogue now, back then Rogues were the shit. Obviously concerns here would be soloability, but it may be eaiser to get groups.

Debatable I'm sure, though without backstab, rogues will be well off the parse from epic monks and even with it, I don't often get out done by a rogue.
Soloing would be best achieved with instill doubt -same for monk.

Warrior - I loved my Warrior on EQLive that I box with now. He can take a beating, and is needed and wanted in all types of groups. Solo is a possibility..... just at lower levels.

Much like any of the plate classes, while AC was king (ac is a bit broken here), HP is important too - HP comes from twinking. Since you are not there yet, you would be group dependent with a plate class for a little while.

Monk - not sure how soloability, but the shear fact that equipment when Kunark came out made monks do more dps, the fact they can FD will get me out of hairy situations when trying to solo.

Instill doubt and FD are your friends. Kunark gave monks more damage yes, however it's Velious where they became even stronger.

Enchanter - I have been an Enchanter for 13+ years. I know how to play one. On EQlive they are practically black listed since CC is not a big dea like it was back in the day. So I know as an Enchanter its an esential group element. Where I know how to charm kill, since that was my bread and butter even up to leveling to 100, I was really trying to stay away from enchanter and try something new.

Charm is a bit 'off' here, you should do some forum research about it. Never the less, a good Enchanter is always welcome.

I know there are more options out there, but nothing really interests me. I also know I am going to get alot of opinions about playing whatever class I want to play etc etc.... but like I said. Im looking at end game as my goal.

If end game is the goal, in terms of raids and other group oriented activities, then here's your options on classes that are unique in things they offer, particularly in bold :

Rogue - needed for their corpse retrieval and lockpicking
Bard - needed for charm/mez/slow/refresh and pulling
Enchanter - needed for charm/mez/slow/refresh & haste
Druid - needed for regen/snare/evacuation
Ranger - needed for snare/tanking/damage/tracking
Shaman - needed for buffs/slow/haste/regen
Shadow Knight - needed for tanking/damage/and a plate class that can FTE (First to Engage a raid mob then feign)
Monk - needed for damage/off-tanking/and a class that can FTE (First to Engage a raid mob then feign)
Necromancer - needed for damage/pet damage/pact heals/corpse summon
Mage - needed for damage/pet damage/summon items/Call of the Hero
Wizards - needed for damage/plane portals

Swish
01-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Its that kind of time that's quite long for LFG waits. If you want to play a tank or a healer, try and find some like minded opposites to get groups started, or roll something with a lot of solo potential. There's 1000s of necros here (or at least necro alts), but I hope you find something you enjoy...over everything else. Pet classes have the 50% damage rule, if they outdps you they steal some of the XP - bear that in mind :)

Trinidy
01-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Thank you for the response.

I will take some High Res Screen shots of EQ now. My wife is still in a raiding guild on EQLive and I pretty much just keep my account to play with her some times.

Much of EQ has changed though, like EC and WC are one zone now, so looking at screenshots may shock you lol.

I have a few old screen shots from 1999-2001 sitting around somewhere to, i need to dig them up.

Rebuddle.

I am pretty set on not playing an Enchanter unless I feel that it is the only way I am going to do much in the end game.

I am trying to make my desision before I dedicate to much time to one class..

Something I am finding very annoying here is the mana regen.... I know EQLive has dumbed things down and Im use to make 300+ mana regen, but I was hoping for some less down time.

I have a lvl 9 ranger on here as well, as that is what I orignally wanted to start.... but fear of not being able to solo has led me away from the ranger, and why i started the Mage. Plus their Damage, as I recall was never very good back then. They were always kind of a useless warrior in my eyes back in the day.... I will say. The best screen shot I have is from 2001 where I saw a wood elf ranger with epics, and a bad ass helmet in Gfay back in the day.... kinda drew me in to the ranger when i came into p99

I guess I have things to consider. If your saying rangers are desired, maybe I will get the ranger back up.....

Hollywood
01-01-2013, 12:55 PM
I thought the health/mana regen here was way faster than back in the day before Luclin.

I would suggest you play something simple and basic, with a bit of survivability so you can figure things out again, whether class related or not. Then pick a more involved class you can solo with while the other one maybe you group with.You may end up having five level thirty characters before you decide on one or two.

Ranger works fine. The small self heals, snare and other spells come in handy and if you play it right, you'll be a boon to a group. Just accept that some groups/players are ignorant and will pass on you.
Ranger can make good money later on too. There's lots of things people need tracked.

Trinidy
01-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Sounds good..... Ive always had a small affinity for the ranger class. I may try to level the ranger... see if I can get some archery up and bow kite....

Thank you for the advice!

Silo69
01-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Sounds good..... Ive always had a small affinity for the ranger class. I may try to level the ranger... see if I can get some archery up and bow kite....

Thank you for the advice!

hardly any end game ranges

would be a feat to see

Trinidy
01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
hardly any end game ranges

would be a feat to see

Well, if anything Ill do it, just to do it. I know people "hate" rangers, but Im a fairly nice person, and If i can get my wife to join with me playing, at least we can group with each other.

Cippofra
01-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Monks are cheap and easy to twink. It is very easy to have a lot of fun with them (sell a couple high quality bear skins and you'll have a 23/28 weapon before the damage cap is even lifted. Out of all the classes, I think monks are definitely the best for new(ish) players. They also have the least down time imo.

Silo69
01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
well chanters here are the #1 primo pro solo class

the charm mechanics here are... i dont know how to explain, chanters once they get past the newb lvls required to group they can fly in lvls, even faster than shaman/necros if they have experience know pathing and that "feel"

they also dont require alot of money for items cha gear is realativly cheap

chanters just scale so well with lvls compared to there surroundings

i played an epic 500 aa chanter on live in vel, lvld my chanter here to 39 and just... cant do it again already been down that road, so i rolled a troll sk and the grind is its own adventure

welcome to the sever play what you will enjoy

but seeing a ranger past 40... lol maybe once a week

fishingme
01-01-2013, 02:38 PM
I think if i were to start all over again, I would be a mage, I'd get my focus items asap. I originally started out as a druid, but have played nearly every class on p99 55+.

Silo69
01-01-2013, 02:39 PM
you will also get that unique special snowflake feel

if you play a ranger,wizard

so many necro's, monks, usually see 3-4 of each in a populated xp area

Silo69
01-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I think if i were to start all over again, I would be a mage, I'd get my focus items asap. I originally started out as a druid, but have played nearly every class on p99 55+.

prob with most pet classes post nerf

is pet stealing your xp, when i first started here i had to do 1 point of dmg, and my pet could tank and grind for me

now i have to compete with my pet for xp wich makes grinding less effective because i have to burn more mana to secure full xp

things were different 2 years ago, you have to adjust with the meta game

so much melle gear good melle gear and the prices are reasonable now is the time to gear your hybrid, melle, alt for vel

with months to spare if not half a year or more, doubt we will see vel till oct of 2013

fishingme
01-01-2013, 02:48 PM
prob with most pet classes post nerf

is pet stealing your xp, when i first started here i had to do 1 point of dmg, and my pet could tank and grind for me

now i have to compete with my pet for xp wich makes grinding less effective because i have to burn more mana to secure full xp

things were different 2 years ago, you have to adjust with the meta game

so much melle gear good melle gear and the prices are reasonable now is the time to gear your hybrid, melle, alt for vel

with months to spare if not half a year or more, doubt we will see vel till oct of 2013

true, the mage i played here was pre-nerf all of those dumb nerfs. But I hear the recast pet works well, would even bet it would be damn nice to use the earth pet, reclaim right after a root and summon pet.

Splorf22
01-01-2013, 03:10 PM
95% of your experience on 1999 will not be decided by your class. If you want to 'succeed' here and I use this term very loosely then:

1) Know game mechanics. EQ is a simple game with very little micro. You don't have to be the fastest jav in the west, you just have to basically know what you are doing. Read guides, talk to players, etc.

2) Be nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTh5JzRziHE

3) Play a lot.

Those three things matter far more than being X powerclass.

fishingme
01-01-2013, 03:34 PM
95% of your experience on 1999 will not be decided by your class. If you want to 'succeed' here and I use this term very loosely then:

1) Know game mechanics. EQ is a simple game with very little micro. You don't have to be the fastest jav in the west, you just have to basically know what you are doing. Read guides, talk to players, etc.

3) Play a lot.

I agree with everything but what is in bold

Yaolin
01-01-2013, 03:56 PM
I just started a week ago. I currently have a 15 monk named Yaolin. I farmed EC for a few days xping and getting pelts, I made a lot of money and the gear I was able to buy is making things a lot easier for myself. If you need a group or have any questions /t me.

Elements
01-01-2013, 03:59 PM
If you can learn how to aoe kite on the bard you will have no trouble soloing, even naked. At higher levels bards bring a lot to the table such as kiting, pulling, mana regen for caster/cleric groups, stacking resists for specific encounters, and have little to no down time. If you are considering playing up a hybrid I'd suggest bard.

Any caster/priest you play is going to have down time. Chanters probably have the least downtime once you learn charm solo, and shamans/necros after that.

IMO the biggest deciding factor when chosing a class is: What do you want your end game to be? what are your goals, and what is your play style?

Groups? Raids? Solo farm? Once you figure that out take a serious look at what your list of classes does in those situations and decide if that is what you really want to do.

Resheph
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM

3) Play a lot.

This is why I came back to EQ. This has been the case in this MMO, but not in others. We all know who to blame for that.

Anyway, I was told Enchanters are needed so rolled one. The thing is, I'm seeing conflicting information and really don't want to level my first character and be useless. At this point I'm looking at Enchanter, Wizard and Shadow Knight. Does anyone think Enchanter was a less-than-optimal choice?

Lagaidh
01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
...even up to leveling to 100...

Jeez! I quit playing in 2005 (Secrets of Faydwer? Shards of Destruction?) and I came back to look at the next expansion that expanded players to L75. I think I logged in, dinged 71, but the landscape was what I abandoned, so I abandoned it again, hehe.

Just prior to finding p99, I had found all the joy that existed for me in WoW. Wondering what to do about my MMO habit, I began to look at EQLive boards. This was mid summer 2010. I saw signatures boasting stupendous personal stats... wizards with 40k mana, healers with over 800 wisdom... clothies with over 25k hitpoints! When I quit in 2005, I was a lower-rung "decent" raiding paladin proud of 16k hitpoints...

I wonder what that mudflation looks like now with two more full years' worth of expansions.

This has always had an odd effect on my conscious mind: the same game I'd cut my teeth on looked nothing like what bears its name. There's no non-bullshit way to reconcile a 5STA bump being something to really shoot for in gear to becoming such an insignificant increase that it isn't even missed at all; or even considered...

So weird. Maybe this is the digital version of aging without grace. Think of Jocelyn Wildstein or Joan Rivers... more and more newer-looking crap smeared across the same aging skeleton until the end result cannot be reconciled as a descendant of the original.

Mudflation makes perfect sense in a vacuum ("on paper") logically, but if you take out a big chunk of the history, the end result just seems alien.

Case-in-point, since I had been present for mudflation from vanilla through DoD/SoD... the increases were small enough that seeing my L71 self, I understood how I'd gotten there from L1.

Gah! I pulled something in my head! AckackackHEEEEELP!!