PDA

View Full Version : New Casual Player

Movember
01-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Hey all!

Just made an ogre Shaman, first time playing since 2004. Just heard of 1999 for the first time today and I love the idea. I just have a few quick questions.

First - approximately how much does everyone play here per week? I am just curious if hours are similar to what people used to put in for EQ on live servers.

Second - how many hours do you think it will take to get to 60 as a Shaman? I assume a lot of my play will be solo as I doubt there are many truly new players under 50 but I will group whenever possible. My gear will be more or less what I can find for a while.

Tomatoking
01-04-2013, 01:45 AM
how sweet

fuck you

gotrocks
01-04-2013, 01:48 AM
there are plenty of groups from about 1-35ish, but after that youll have to solo to around lvl 50.

Plenty of people here put in hours upon hours, the population rarely drops below 300 even in the middle of the night.

also, reroll your shaman as an iksar :D

ErasmusPrime
01-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Welcome! There are some new players, myself and a bunch of friends all started about 2 weeks ago. I ma just about to hit 24 after a very long session today.

So far I have had no trouble finding groups, in fact most of the zones have been almost over crowded. /fingers crossed that this remains the case going forward. I am looking forward to kiting but I will get bored if it is the only thing I do.

formallydickman
01-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Ignore the forumquest trolls.

You'll find plenty of groups up until the mid levels then you have to try a bit harder. The groups are there you just have to look.

Swish
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
You'll find people at all hours. Shaman is a good choice as soloing is viable if you want to or can't find a group.... but as mentioned there's groups out there, you tend to have to bend to the server and level in Unrest, Mistmoore, Highkeep and Sol B and such places where people usually are.

Good luck with it - if you're making a troll be sure to go with Innoruuk for the snare necklace :)

phobus
01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Hi, and welcome from a fellow Ogre Shaman. You've made a fine choice!

Hours spent to get to 60 varies a lot - it does depend on how well geared you are to some extent, as Shaman is one of the few casting classes that can actually benefit from twinking. It also depends on how much time you spend grinding exp versus other stuff like quests, tradeskills, and raid-buffing newbies in the EC tunnel. ;)

As for the low-level population, it seems like there are always more new folks around. Even alts of high-levels tend to not be shy about grouping with new faces, though, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Overall, shaman can be a great casual class. You can login, solo for an hour, and log off having made good progress. Or form up a duo, trio, or full group for six hours if you want that. You can do very well in both group and solo situations, although soloing is kind of rough at low levels.

Look up Zaftig in-game and I'll be happy to help you out in any way I can. =)

nothsa
01-04-2013, 10:28 AM
look up Ganni. only lvl 12 monk atm but im sure i can help carry you some ;).
My dream is to level in sol a atleast once the gnomes can be decent

webrunner5
01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
A Shaman is one of the most popular classes on here. But they are a turd to solo till about level 24. After that not bad. At 34 when you get your dog they are not bad at all solo. But always pretty easy to get a group with a Shaman. Welcome aboard.

Movember
01-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Looking forward to meeting up with some of you - name is the same in game, Movember.