PDA

View Full Version : Tailoring Worth It?

Movember
01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
It seems like tailoring ends up costing more money than it earns since the supplies are pretty expensive and the armors don't sell for much. There are also a ton of people buying up the supplies to level it.

For a new (lvl 11) shammy is it better to just skip tradeskills altogether? With velious coming out is there any real benefit in trying to max out tailoring?

Hinthek
01-07-2013, 01:19 AM
You'll need to level it up, along with other tradeskills, if you want to do the coldain prayer shawl quests. Get a brace for your mouse clicking finger...its gonna be sore. :)

Lagaidh
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
This was my perspective:

You have to get onto a server early if you want to see any profit from basic trade skilling. I never did class or race specific skills like alchemy or tinkering. I've done the available-to-all trades.

Usually with tailoring and smithing, the early server is where things like Wu's and Banded will actually sell. The profit isn't great, but it will earn enough to keep skilling and then some when a server is full of young players. This is so because the price point for the goods you sell is low enough that brand new players can afford a piece or two as their vendor trash sales allow.

On live, I saw little fits and spurts of time where the lower level products could be sold with any regularity, and these times normally coincided with an uptick of new players.

I see that sparingly here. This server, while incredibly robust for an emu server, is small compared to a live server. Still, new people start often, and sometimes I see them looking for low level gear. They're buying with whatever they can earn as a young player. Throw in how generous this server is with gear they can't sell... and you won't often see a market for low end items.

What DOES sell here:

Like live, there's always a market for upper end jewelry. Resist, HP, AC jewelry. This never goes out of style no matter the age of a server. Prices stabilize over time to a low profit margin, but the market never dies.

For a while, racial smithing turns a profit for the right race/class/diety items. Dwarven cultural nets a decent profit. I can make one of the lower tiers, and there are at least three other separate dwarven smiths that make the armor. Sales take a while, but it's some of the best player-made armor in the game (hey, Dwarves have to have SOME benefit other than looking good). I'm L53 and wear it in every slot but my chest and one bracer. It's better than, or at least just as good as, planar armor for a paladin.

I think I've seen some DEF armor sell too (not sure on all the old elf names like TierDal etc.)

I knew of one smith that made human armor.

Meh. That's my two copper. I'm sure I neglected to mention something or have a skewed perspective, heh! But there it is.

Lagaidh
01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
One benefit I forgot =)

I love that I am wearing armor that I made, and I can't really find better at the moment except for the BP and legs.

Any deepwater greaves rotting? Mm?