PDA

View Full Version : EQIM (EverQuest Instant Messenger)

Hathes
01-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Heya guys,

i know this is probably not classic, but would the EQIM (EverQuest Instant Messenger) be super awesome?

Could we get this for P1999 pleeeeeease? If the API is nice i could even do an Andoird / Iphone port

Furniture
01-07-2013, 09:33 AM
so you think your better then everyone else and the /tell system isnt good enough for you?

Resheph
01-07-2013, 09:38 AM
so you think your better then everyone else and the /tell system isnt good enough for you?

Why do you have to be so nasty? If I'm not mistaken, SoE thought it was a good enough idea that they implemented this themselves. In addition, an EQIM for P1999 could allow players to communicate outside the game with those currently playing.

Something like this would make a guild message go out to anyone with a smartphone reminding them of raids, for example, or alerting them that X class is wanted for a group so if so-and-so is doing IRL stuff, but not important stuff, they mat log on to join said group.

Think outside the box a bit.

Tecmos Deception
01-07-2013, 09:41 AM
SoE thought it was a good enough idea that they implemented this themselves.

Lol. If you think THIS argument is going to win you followers among p99ers, you must be... lol.

Furniture
01-07-2013, 09:54 AM
lol i was just kidding but this is a stupid idea, the developers wouldnt waste their time on a batphone tool when theres better things they could be doing (even doing nothing is better then working on this)

Resheph
01-07-2013, 10:02 AM
While I agree it's not worth the developers time (given that there are so few and working for free), I wouldn't call it stupid as much as simply... unworthy. I think it's a great idea, actually, and if we had paid developers I'd promote it, but as they do what they do for nothing it IS a bit much to ask.

And by mentioning SoE I wasn't saying SoE always had good ideas, only that the OP wasn't simply pulling a silly idea out of a hat. It was thought of, and implemented, before.

Furniture
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
considering the majority of the players on the server are against batphoning and poopsocking, any amount of time devoted to the idea of a batphone tool is a bad idea whether the devs are being paid or not

Swish
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Like some other things implemented on live, it has potential to be good for the server...but where it all falls down is you've got a strictly "omg, not classic" response on top of different people wanting different things implemented.

There's quite a lot I miss about live that could ruin P99.... the bazaar, NPCs at boats to get you to the other side instantly, translocators at wizard spires, soulbinders, AAs (to name but a few)....put any one of those in and you're opening up a Pandora's box of problems of people wanting all kinds of other things from live, and before you know it there's people boxing with mercs, greater inflation on top of that pushes new players lower and lower - and suddenly R99 seems appealing.

Don't let that happen ;)

myxomatosii
01-07-2013, 03:50 PM

He can't be better than everyone else, I'm already better than everyone else and this would be a paradox.

gotrocks
01-07-2013, 11:21 PM
and suddenly R99 seems appealing.

Don't let that happen ;)

lol

Joroz
01-08-2013, 10:02 AM
the server software should already support the global chat system(user channels), but it has probably been stripped out and disabled here.

Furme
01-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Why do you have to be so nasty? If I'm not mistaken, SoE thought it was a good enough idea that they implemented this themselves. In addition, an EQIM for P1999 could allow players to communicate outside the game with those currently playing.

Something like this would make a guild message go out to anyone with a smartphone reminding them of raids, for example, or alerting them that X class is wanted for a group so if so-and-so is doing IRL stuff, but not important stuff, they mat log on to join said group.

Think outside the box a bit.

The main problem is that EQIM directly interfaced with the global chat channels. Those are strictly not classic. If you remember correctly once people had the combination of the bazaar and the global trade channel.. East commons was a dead zone.

So, Since implementing EQIM requires the implementation of global chat channels.. Yeah, about 99.999% sure it's Not going to happen.

Not going to say there isn't any other way to get messages from in-game to out of game sources though.. Friend of mine on live developed a method of linking our guild chat to IRC, but.. that being said.. I don't know exactly which program he used to do it, but I'm almost certain it wouldn't be legal here.

norova
01-09-2013, 06:18 AM
The main problem is that EQIM directly interfaced with the global chat channels. Those are strictly not classic. If you remember correctly once people had the combination of the bazaar and the global trade channel.. East commons was a dead zone.

So, Since implementing EQIM requires the implementation of global chat channels.. Yeah, about 99.999% sure it's Not going to happen.

Not going to say there isn't any other way to get messages from in-game to out of game sources though.. Friend of mine on live developed a method of linking our guild chat to IRC, but.. that being said.. I don't know exactly which program he used to do it, but I'm almost certain it wouldn't be legal here.

He probably used a EQIM plugin for mIRC. I used to run an item and DKP bot for a while. Could connect it via mIRC/EQIM to the game channels, and then use mIRC scripting to handle requests, etc.