PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Leveling Locations

Tpyo
06-09-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.gordtulloch.com/twiki/tiki-index.php for a broader description with more zones included. {Thanks for the link Feanan}

I would like to compile a list of zones (and perhaps more specifically locations in these zones) of where players recommend other players level. Considering that I am new to the server and it has been over 10 years since I've had to level a character exclusively in old world content, this will be an excellent tool for myself as well as the other players who are seeking that extra bit of advice.

Please add to this thread as you will, and I will update as frequently as I can! (if this has been done, viscously slap me... I browsed the forums and was unable to find if this subject had already been done)

Misty Thicket, Level 1 - 10, Good and Neutral aligned - Fantastic newbie zone! Plenty of vendors that are readily accessible, as well as a small and easy to navigate town nearby (Rivervale). Obviously more convenient for classes that halflings can be (rogues, clerics, druids, etc.) in regards of spells and training, but I even ran my High Elf Enchanter to this place because I love it so much... Just make sure to have spells in the bank ahead of time or to suck up the trip to Freeport. The real beauty of this zone is the wall down the middle. Levels 1-4 can be comfortably enjoyed on the Rivervale side, while 4-10 can be done on the Runneye side. The guards at the wall are very helpful for saving lives, unless they are being camped by other players. This can, however, work in your favor as those mid-level players farming the halflings are often friendly enough to provide buffs. Just be polite! Beware Mooto, a named goblin who runs from the orc camp in the northwest to each of the goblin camps to the south east. He is no stranger to ambush tactics and will get you at least once when you are least prepared for it. If he is too much trouble, kindly ask one of the mid-level players slaughtering the guards to rid you of him.

East Commonlands, Level 2-13, Any alignment - Three orc camps that are good from 4 to 13. Plenty of roamers that are good from 2-10. 1 undead camp that is 5+ but spawns ghouls sometimes.

The best part is.... you get to watch auctions and see whats out there. People hand out items and buffs to noobs like crazy there. Best starting area period since they shut down global chats. {Thanks Oldhead}

Qeynos Hills, Level 4 - 6, Good and Neutral aligned - There are various giant bats and some wolves to kill but the main attraction are the Gnoll watchers and Gnolls. You get great faction for killing them but their most valuable resource are the gnoll fangs. Turning these in to Capt. Tillen in South Qeynos (overlooking the arena) or in Halas to a female Barbarian, Lysbith in the Halas pit (warrior guild) yields exceptional experience (best by far!) The advantage of making the run to Halas is that you get much better coin and stuff to sell.

You can also head down into the Qeynos Aqueducts to kill gelatinous cubes and the named Cubert. Cubert sometimes drops a tattered dress which you can turn in to the guy standing next to the bridge near the bank in South Qeynos for a reward of a +3 Int gold stud earring. I stayed until I got two for each of my Int casters. {Thanks Striiker}

Black Burrow, Level 5-13, (Any aligned easier for good Neutral) Important! Save all your Gnoll fangs, there are two turn-in locations; First, Captian Tillian in the warrior guild in Qeynos, or In Halas (for more money) - Less popular than Crushbone the only warning is that many 30+ players often use the "gnoll fang" and other newbie quests to raise there faction with Qeynos. Starting outside you can kill Gnolls (level 4-6) and a gnoll watcher (4-4) these are great exp until 6/7. The only real worry is Rabid Grizzlies. You're other option is to pull Scrawny (3-5) and regular gnolls (5-7) inside Blackburrow (watch for trains). Once you are 7 you can start moving down into BB. Once inside BB, there are 2 exits on the first level, one takes you back to Qeynos hills the other will take you into everfrost peaks. See below for maps and further information. {Thanks Soft}

Oasis of Marr, Level 10 - 20, Un-Aligned - The oasis can be a haven for characters stepping into their teen-leveled experiences. Despite the dangers of sand giants and runaway spectres, the fauna of this zone can be exploited for valuable xp they grant players. The docks play the role of a hub for players to gather until they can find a group. Beware Lockjaw, Sand Giants, and Spectres. Usually, these shouldn't be a problem unless players train them to the zone. Sometimes wandering undead can get in the way, but overall, the zone's bounty is worth all the risk. Eventually, players graduate from dune tarantulas and crocodiles to orc highway, where the experience almost literally comes to you. If things ever start look look sour, just do everyone a favor and /shout Train to xxx if you get a chance!

West Karana, Level 12 - 16 - Head to West Karana to the old Miller's farm where you will find many scarecrows wandering the field. These require magic weapons to hit them though. Beware of the occasional roaming werewolf and the Ghoul Messenger who like to wander past this area. There are also grizzly bears, giant spiders and wisps to kill around here. {Thanks Striiker}

Erud's Crossing, Level 12 - 16 - I also headed to Erud's Crossing (aka Wisp Island). There are numerous wisp spawn points. I made some serious plat due to the light stones and greater light stones which the wisps drop. (Turn in the GLS to one of the gypsies in North Karana and then sell the book which she gives you back for about 10 PP each). The downside is that if you get adds, you will die as there is no zone line here (boat / translocator only) {Thanks Striiker}

Highhold Pass, Level 15 - 20, Un-Aligned - Highpass orcs. Much better exp than oasis orcs and the zone is right behind you for an easy escape. {Thanks Km2783}

Upper Guk, Level 16 - 20 - I spent a lot of time in Upper Guk. I am thinking I can stay here until 25 and still have meaningful experience gains (although I am sure one could stay longer). As I try out additional camps, I will add my experiences. There are numerous camps in the zone which are great for these levels.. There's the Scryer camp (Drops Bracelet of Woven Grass (common), Shimmering Orb (rare) and a Glowing mask (Enchanter quest item). I also was in a camp at the warden area. He drops Elf Hide Gloves as a common and the Troll Hide Belt as a rare. The only other camp area which I have been to in the zone is at the zone line to the undead side of Lower Guk. There are plenty of higher level Frogloks to pull to this area and there's the benefit of the zone line right behind you if needed. I previously also hunted the Ancient Croc but I can't recall at what level (it was back in 99 / 2000)
Here are a couple of good maps for the area..
http://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/eqatlas/uppergukmap.html (best detail)
http://www.steveprutz.com/eq/gukupper.jpg (less detail in terms of camp locations but a little easier to follow for navigation.{Thanks Striiker}

Highhold Keep, Level 20 - 32, Good and Neutral aligned - One of the most player friendly leveling areas in the game. Even some evil characters may be found themselves away from the guards in the basement to enjoy the high experience and great loot provided by clearing out the pickclaw goblins. For those who have earned the faction (through racial/class inheritance or hard work), the bank and vendors just up the stairs provide their highly demanded services.

Please feel welcome to offer recommendations for zones to add, locations to add, or things to edit!

Trying to figure out a format to include the information provided by Stickyfingers and Phil

Tpyo
06-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Updated to add Oasis and Highhold Keep.

Soft
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Level 5 - 13ish

Black Burrow (Any aligned easier for good Neutral) Important Save all your Gnoll fangs, there are 2 turnin locations, First Captian Tillian in the warrior guild in Qeynos, or In Halas (for more money) - Less popular than Crushbone the only warning is that many 30+ players often use the "gnoll fang" and other newbie quests to raise there faction with Qeynos. Starting outside you can kill Gnolls (level 4-6) and a gnoll watcher (4-4) these are great exp until 6/7. The only real worry is Rabid Grizzlies. You're other option is to pull Scrawny (3-5) and regular gnolls (5-7) inside Blackburrow (watch for trains). Once you are 7 you can start moving down into BB. Once inside BB, there are 2 exits on the first level, one takes you back to Qeynos hills the other will take you into everfrost peaks.

http://www.eqmacwiki.com/eqatlas/images/blackburrow1.jpg

The 3rd hall in BB takes you deeper into the burrow (labelled level 3 on the map). Once you get to the 3nd level you can kill gnolls around the bridge (location 1 on the map ) untill 8 or 9 depending on cons. Once you reach 9 you can start killing the Giant Snakes (and other gnoll spawns around them). I will often find myself camping and pulling towards the bridge By the pit, there are 2 gnoll spawns just inside that door and multiples up that ramp.

http://www.eqmacwiki.com/eqatlas/images/blackburrow3.jpg

Giant Snakes can be found around 1 and 2 on the 2nd level map

http://www.eqmacwiki.com/eqatlas/images/blackburrow2.jpg

You can camp snakes untill 13ish sometimes more if you want.

Striiker
06-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Level 4-6 Qeynos Hills: There are various giant bats and some wolves to kill but the main attraction are the Gnoll watchers and Gnolls. You get great faction for killing them but their most valuable resource are the gnoll fangs. Turning these in to Capt. Tillen in South Qeynos (overlooking the arena) or in Halas to a female Barbarian, Lysbith in the Halas pit (warrior guild) yields exceptional experience (best by far!) The advantage of making the run to Halas is that you get much better coin and stuff to sell.
You can also head down into the Qeynos Aqueducts to kill gelatinous cubes and the named Cubert. Cubert sometimes drops a tattered dress which you can turn in to the guy standing next to the bridge near the bank in South Qeynos for a reward of a +3 Int gold stud earring. I stayed until I got two for each of my Int casters.

Level 6 - 13 Black Burrow: Once again, the gnolls are running rampant in this zone but so are the players who are in search of the gnoll fangs! I recall leveling from lvl 4 through to level 6 in one turn-in of (i think) 8 fangs.

Level 12 - 16: West Karana: Head to West Karana to the old Miller's farm where you will find many scarecrows wandering the field. These require magic weapons to hit them though. Beware of the occasional roaming werewolf and the Ghoul Messenger who like to wander past this area. There are also grizzly bears, giant spiders and wisps to kill around here.
I also headed to Erud's Crossing (aka Wisp Island). There are numerous wisp spawn points. I made some serious plat due to the light stones and greater light stones which the wisps drop. (Turn in the GLS to one of the gypsies in North Karana and then sell the book which she gives you back for about 10 PP each). The downside is that if you get adds, you will die as there is no zone line here (boat / translocator only)

Stickyfingers
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Starting Newbie Zone ---> CB/BB/Befallen/Sro/WC/EC ---> Guk/Unrest/Oasis ---> Guk/Highkeep/MM/SK/SolA ---> Lguk/Paw/SolB ---> Lguk/SolB/Kedge

km2783
06-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm a fan of 15-20 in highpass killing orcs myself. Much better exp than oasis orcs and the zone is right behind you.

There used to be a group there when I first hit it up, but now it seems empty and desolate, so bring your own.

**edit** someone posted a levelling guide around here already, it's a wiki so should be editable.

Skope
06-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Would like to throw WK Bandits into the mix as well.

After blackburrow becomes too low the WK bandits suffice for decent exp and great $$. Save all of the bandit sashes and turn them in at sqeynos for a bronze weapon + a small amount of exp.

I think I killed bandits from lvl 10-16, made about 200-300pp doing it as well, and at low levels that's some great bank.

km2783
06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Would like to throw WK Bandits into the mix as well.

After blackburrow becomes too low the WK bandits suffice for decent exp and great $$. Save all of the bandit sashes and turn them in at sqeynos for a bronze weapon + a small amount of exp.

I think I killed bandits from lvl 10-16, made about 200-300pp doing it as well, and at low levels that's some great bank.

I'm a greedy bastard and didn't want to mention the WK bandits :D

BB is already getting hard to find fangs whenever I'm on a lowbie, I don't want my precious bandits being over-camped, too :eek:

Tpyo
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
**edit** someone posted a levelling guide around here already, it's a wiki so should be editable.

I'll update the post in a wee bit... cooking din din for the family...

Could you link this wiki? I couldn't find it.

Phil
06-09-2010, 05:17 PM
7-14 Crushbone

14-30 Unrest

15-30 Uguk

25-35 Sol A

30-40 Infected Paw

35+ Lguk, Sol B

Pretty much how I did things

feanan
06-09-2010, 05:30 PM
wiki:

http://www.gordtulloch.com/twiki/tiki-index.php

FatMagic
06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
This needs to get into the Library and stickyed there. Fantastic thread!

oldhead
06-09-2010, 08:06 PM
EAST COMMONS Level 2 - 13

three orc camps that are good from 4 to 13. Plenty of roamers that are good from 2-10. 1 undead camp that is 5+ but spawns ghouls sometimes.

The best part is.... you get to watch auctions and see whats out there. People hand out items and buffs to noobs like crazy there. Best starting area period since they shut down global chats.

Tpyo
06-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Updated to include a few more recommended zones.

Reiker
06-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Erud's Crossing, Level 12 - 16 - I also headed to Erud's Crossing (aka Wisp Island). There are numerous wisp spawn points. I made some serious plat due to the light stones and greater light stones which the wisps drop. (Turn in the GLS to one of the gypsies in North Karana and then sell the book which she gives you back for about 10 PP each). The downside is that if you get adds, you will die as there is no zone line here (boat / translocator only) {Thanks Striiker}

This is one of my favorite spots. Pet classes and pro players/twinks can start here at level 8. I usually level from 8-12 here (the wisps range from 9-11). This gives you a full inventory of Greater and regular Lightstones if you brought full backpacks. Turning all these in at 12 will get you a lot of money and over a full level in experience. And then I usually head over to Freeport at this point.

You will level much faster 1-12 starting near Qeynos than anywhere else. At level 3-5 you can hit Qeynos Hills and kill all the gnolls and rabid wolves. Gnoll Fangs to Captain Tillan and diseased pelts to Priestess Caulria are insane exp and you'll level a lot faster off the quest turn ins than you will from killing mobs. The exp slows down around 8 which allows a natural transition to wisp island. And after that you can ride the derv/oasis gravy train.

Qeynos also offers the chance to farm some decent gear if you get bored of leveling. The catacombs offers 5 HP earrings and rings, a charisma necklace, and +3 int earrings.

Tpyo
06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
This is one of my favorite spots. Pet classes and pro players/twinks can start here at level 8. I usually level from 8-12 here (the wisps range from 9-11). This gives you a full inventory of Greater and regular Lightstones if you brought full backpacks. Turning all these in at 12 will get you a lot of money and over a full level in experience. And then I usually head over to Freeport at this point.

Didn't these used to be turned in, in Oasis also? Or am I mis-remembering?

Reiker
06-10-2010, 10:11 AM
You can turn them in in Oasis and I think at the DE camp in SRo as well. It's just that NK is closer to wisp island :)

km2783
06-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Personally I'd do a Derv group at 9-10 (WC or N Ro) rather than suffer at orcs until 13 o.O and there are only 2 orc camps in EC, btw, but there is a third in WC.

Tpyo
06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Qeynos also offers the chance to farm some decent gear if you get bored of leveling. The catacombs offers 5 HP earrings and rings, a charisma necklace, and +3 int earrings.

What are the names of the rings and charisma necklace? I was able to find the golden ear stud from the cuburt quest.

Reiker
06-10-2010, 10:47 AM
What are the names of the rings and charisma necklace? I was able to find the golden ear stud from the cuburt quest.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1184
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1666
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1905

Tpyo
06-10-2010, 10:52 AM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1184
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1666
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1905

<3

Tpyo
06-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Anyone else have recommendations, especially so we can flesh out 20+ a little more and even more so 30+

Zordana
06-11-2010, 08:51 AM
might wanna add these guides to the kind of official p1999 wiki

http://moestaverne.com/p1999wiki/index.php/Main_Page

there is a category TUTORIALS on the bottom of the mainpage..
Adventure Guides --> linking to: http://moestaverne.com/p1999wiki/index.php/Players:Adventure

i added some example, feel free to contribute:)

Striiker
06-11-2010, 09:07 AM
From 16 - 20 so far, I spent a lot of time in Upper Guk. I am thinking I can stay here until 25 and still have meaningful experience gains (although I am sure one could stay longer). As I try out additional camps, I will add my experiences. There are numerous camps in the zone which are great for these levels.. There's the Scryer camp (Drops Bracelet of Woven Grass (common), Shimmering Orb (rare) and a Glowing mask (Enchanter quest item). I also was in a camp at the warden area. He drops Elf Hide Gloves as a common and the Troll Hide Belt as a rare. The only other camp area which I have been to in the zone is at the zone line to the undead side of Lower Guk. There are plenty of higher level Frogloks to pull to this area and there's the benefit of the zone line right behind you if needed. I previously also hunted the Ancient Croc but I can't recall at what level (it was back in 99 / 2000)
Here are a couple of good maps for the area..
http://www.msu.edu/~oconne53/eqatlas/uppergukmap.html (best detail)
http://www.steveprutz.com/eq/gukupper.jpg (less detail in terms of camp locations but a little easier to follow for navigation.

Tpyo
06-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Added Upper Guk