PDA

View Full Version : Where is the EULA for Dsetup.dll?

softwaremalpractice
01-08-2013, 10:13 AM
With the latest patch introduced a poorly written DLL file (Dsetup.dll) that sends packets from the client to somewhere else containing resource information of the computer running it.

I'm just curious where the EULA for this DLL is?

nilbog
01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm curious where the purchaser is?

dsetup.dll is provided for free. You're not a customer.

Jenni D
01-08-2013, 10:55 AM
lol'd

Rogean
01-08-2013, 11:11 AM
With the latest patch introduced a poorly written DLL file (Dsetup.dll) that sends packets from the client to somewhere else containing resource information of the computer running it.

You must be confused because our files don't do that :)

Go back to whoever is feeding you misinformation.

Itap
01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
You must be confused because our files don't do that :)

Go back to whoever is feeding you misinformation.

Rog!!

Rogean
01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Rog!!

wut

Itap
01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
wut

I haven't seen you around here in a coons age :cool:

Rogean
01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
yea nilbog linked me this thread to get a lulz

Raemius
01-08-2013, 11:43 AM
wut

Not trying to troll here, but doesn't dsetup.dll read the unique BIOS strings of the system and attempt to detect if its running in a wine or virtualbox environment? The dsetup.dll has also been packaged with a packer that encrypts the contents of the dll and kills EQ if it detects a debugger running.

I suspect your purposes for doing some of these things are to catch 2 boxers and cheaters, modify game functionality to make it more classic, and prevent AV from misdetecting this as malware. I tend to agree that a EULA is ridiculous for a free project such as this.

I was always under the impression that some data was being sent back -- are you saying it is in fact not?

Also, thanks for all of the effort and resources you put into this project. People give you guys too much of a hard time. And thanks for the glimpses you provide sometimes into the inner workings of the game -- they are educational for us all.

Rogean
01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Not trying to troll here, but doesn't dsetup.dll read the unique BIOS strings of the system and attempt to detect if its running in a wine or virtualbox environment?

Nope. Doesn't do anything even remotely close to that.

The dsetup.dll has also been packaged with a packer that encrypts the contents of the dll and kills EQ if it detects a debugger running.

This is true, one of the ways people try to circumvent the DLL is by using debuggers to see the call stacks and the way that our DLL interacts with the EQ process, among other reasons that someone would use a debugger on the client, the majority of those reasons are malicious. And yes, the contents are encrypted, that is a no brainer.. if they weren't it would be cracked/bypassed within minutes.

I was always under the impression that some data was being sent back -- are you saying it is in fact not?

The way most third party programs work is by injecting themselves into the client. When our DLL detects this occur, information about all the modules loaded into the EQ client get logged and sent. Let me be clear that it is only the modules loaded into the game itself that are sent. This is contained within the EQ Process.

Other than that, the only information that is sent on a regular basis would be hardware ID's that we can use to distinguish your computer from anyone else's. This helps us deter two boxing and track down hackers, dupers, RMT, and etc even if they change their external IP address, which is a common occurance. These ID's are arbitrary and do not personally identify you in any way.

To be honest, more information could be gained from the public IP address you use to access anything and everything, than we could get from anything the DLL sends us.

Hollywood
01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
yea nilbog linked me this thread to get a lulz

Glad the priorities are in order.

joppykid
01-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Glad the priorities are in order.

Oh the guy that runs a server while having another full time job isn't allowed to have a laugh? Unbelievable how pissy people get if they think these devs aren't working 24/7. Appreciate that you are even able to come close to this game like it used to be. All people do on here is complain, go to WoW if you want to whine like the 13 year olds playing it.

Soandso
01-08-2013, 02:45 PM

Sounds like softwaremalpractice is Multania still raging over getting all his characters banned for boxing a few days ago. He was caught boxing and flatout denied it and then threatened to have Sirken arrested and sued. He was (and still is) having delusions of grandeur that he is going to sue Sirken and Nilbog and Rogean for invading his privacy through the dll. Sounds like this is him fishing for more information on his dll lawsuit he thinks he is going to file. His plan? Sue the GMs for $1 million to "bring down the server", or settle out of court for 1 million platinum and his characters back. Ya cheated, ya got caught, buh-bye. Take your screw ups like a man. Idiot.

Rogean
01-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Sounds like softwaremalpractice is Multania still raging over getting all his characters banned for boxing a few days ago. He was caught boxing and flatout denied it and then threatened to have Sirken arrested and sued. He was (and still is) having delusions of grandeur that he is going to sue Sirken and Nilbog and Rogean for invading his privacy through the dll. Sounds like this is him fishing for more information on his dll lawsuit he thinks he is going to file. His plan? Sue the GMs for $1 million to "bring down the server", or settle out of court for 1 million platinum and his characters back. Ya cheated, ya got caught, buh-bye. Take your screw ups like a man. Idiot.

Yea we got a post in the petition forum the other day from some guy asking for our information.

Oh, found it...

Hello, i need the address where u located in Sain Petersburg to file a court claim. Or i will subpena all the documents and your address my self. thank you.
You going to ban my ip and my tunes with no proof of any kind then i will take you to court for having the dll file hack people computers and see their process which is illegal in united states. Contacting a lawyer now. and even if i fail i will at least make life hell for all of you. Period

going to have fun tomorrow subpoena all the information from ur internet provider and the web site registration.

lulz

Itap
01-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Ephi
01-08-2013, 03:22 PM

I will settle my end with whatever cash I have in my wallet.

Hint: I haven't used cash in years.

SamwiseRed
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
most interesting thread blue has ever produced. congratz bluebies.

Raemius
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Wow.. he is seriously butthurt. Guess he didn't know about dsetup.dll rofl :D

Llodd
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Fucking hell. Hilarious.

Evercrack at it's finest.

Itap
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM
This shit can't be serious.

So mad over 13 year old pixels

Ele
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Yea we got a post in the petition forum the other day from some guy asking for our information.

Oh, found it...

lulz

double luls

HIYO
01-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Spends $2500 on a retainer to save $500 in lvl 50 chars banned for boxing.

I need a "you go girl" meme made up, Quick ! to the internet!

phobus
01-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Rogean, what was so bad about his music that you had to ban his tunes too?

joppykid
01-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Lol

cadiz
01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Not trying to troll here, but doesn't dsetup.dll read the unique BIOS strings of the system and attempt to detect if its running in a wine or virtualbox environment? The dsetup.dll has also been packaged with a packer that encrypts the contents of the dll and kills EQ if it detects a debugger running.

I run EQ in wine fairly often as my work laptop runs Fedora Linux (http://fedoraproject.org/) and I travel often.
For what it's worth I never had any issues during the period where dsetup.dll was required nor does running in wine constitute doing anything ominous.

Estu
01-09-2013, 10:21 AM

Nirgon
01-09-2013, 10:50 AM
If he really wanted to make money he could cash out on all those email addresses he has piled up from registrars.