PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter pet questions

Peck80
01-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone,

If these questions have been addressed, I apologize in advance. I have done some searches but can't seem to find the answers. It may just be that my questions are so n00b-ish that no one has ever NEEDED to answer them.

Anyway, back to the point. First, I'm curious about buffing my pet. In the pet window there is a space for pet buffs, but I can't get any of my buffs to to show up on my pet. My question is, are my buffs actually sticking to my pet and just not being displayed in the pet window? Or are there only certain buffs that will apply to my pet? Or do enchanter pets not receive buffs in classic (I'm fairly certain they could receive buffs in later expansions)?

Also, I have noticed that I can give my pet different weapons, some seem to display on my pet, others don't. Since there are no stat details for enchanter pets, I can't tell directly if weapons I give to my pet are affecting its damage. My question is, do weapons I give my pet affect its stats/dps? If so, what weapons can my pet use? I'm assuming the pet is a warrior class, so my guess it can use the same weapon types, but I'm not positive.

Any help would be great. If I'm beating a dead horse feel free to flame me at will, then graciously leave a link to where I can find the answers ;) thanks all!

Swish
01-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Hey Peck, are you running Titanium on a standard UI?

Buffs will land on it, but there's no pet buff window in classic which is probably why they're not visible. Any pet class has to either timer or "guess" when the buffs they put on fade as it stands at the moment.

Speaking from a necro perspective, from a certain point you can give your pet 2 rusty weapons to make its damage increase and I know its the case for enchanter pets too, just not sure on the level. Rusties will do the same dps as bronze, fine steel etc... don't go spending big money, and if anything buy rusty daggers in cities if you can find them on a vendor (much lighter carrying 8 daggers around versus 8 long swords).

It'll be a bit of trial and error but I'm sure someone on here knows the exact level the pet turns into a dual wielding maniac :)

If you can get your charisma to over 150, and 200 even better... then don't rule out charming at level 12. Charmed pets do much more in terms of dps, but the risk is when charm wears off, you need to reapply it quick. For a better chance at an effective (longer duration charm), make sure you tash the mob first :)

gotrocks
01-17-2013, 02:00 AM
I would *definitely* learn how to charm solo if you're an enchanter. It isn't *that* difficult to learn and the payoff is huge.

My #1 and #2 recommendation for charm soloing is to tash the mob before charming, and slow the mob that you're fighting with it. Don't ever haste a charmed pet (lots of people will argue against me on this, but seriously, who wants a hasted uber pet bashing you in the face while you pray your root doesn't break on the mob you're fighting before you get a stun/recharm off?)

goshozal
01-17-2013, 03:02 AM
At low levels, like below 12 or 16, certain 2-handed weapons will increase the (summmoned pet) pet's damage.

Charmed pets will continue to do the damage they normally would if not charmed, and therefore they vastly overpower summoned pets. However, charm is riskier.

At levels above 20, it's wise to give the pet 2 1-handed weapons (cheap kinds like the rusty daggers mentioned above) to force it to dual wield. This is the only way that your weapons will increase the pet's damage at levels above 16 or so... by making it hit 3 or 4 times per cycle instead of 2. At the really high levels, you can get into weapons that proc certain nice things like stuns. But even at level 20, a pet that has 2 1-handed weapons and haste will be significantly stronger than one without.

Yes, your buffs are landing on the pet. They are not displayed in any way, but they are there. Buffs can increase the pet's damage similar to the way they affect players. Which is to say that haste is the biggest dps increase in town.

Read the enchanter guides on the wiki.project1999.org (Xorn's and Loraen's guides) and teach yourself to charm solo. It's the bee's knees.

Charm is also REALLY strong in small groups. Find any class that can heal: cleric, shaman, druid... team up, charm something and go to town. Having a healer partner does two great things: 1) it eliminates the XP penalty which means you don't have to break the charm or use mem blur to get good experience, and 2) It makes charm much safer both when it breaks, and when charm is combined with haste.

I'm like gotrocks, I wouldn't recommend hasting a charmed pet (while solo) unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Keeping the non-charmed target slowed and rooted is just as effective and much safer, if somewhat slower. It's better to get slower experience than a quick death.

Pyrion
01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
To save you from having to find out the hard way here are my personal guidelines for charming:

1) Dont aim too high. Better charm something in the lower blue area if you want to keep it for a while. Additionally, if such a pet breaks, it will prolly not kill you so fast.

2) How to charm:
a) Always buff yourself with your charisma buff. Generally get high charisma.
b) Mez (ALWAYS use level 4 spell with short duration)
c) Tash (if somebody can cast malo line, thats a plus)
d) Charm
e) Park pet a few meters away. When it breaks it gives you a bit more time to react.
24 seconds after b) you got your new pet

About pet haste: If you got a very low blue or even green pet, haste really cant hurt much. I usually only use augment on pets, need mana for recharms and CC in a group. Better charm something a bit lower and haste instead of a bit higher without haste. Same damage but way longer charm duration.

And one other advice for chanters level 16+. Always buff your own MR. It's really nice when puller brings mobs too close and you already started your AE mez to resist your own mez :) Self mez sux.

Froglok
01-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Charm is also REALLY strong in small groups. Find any class that can heal: cleric, shaman, druid... team up, charm something and go to town. Having a healer partner does two great things: 1) it eliminates the XP penalty which means you don't have to break the charm or use mem blur to get good experience.

FALSE

Oct 23rd update: "Classic pet experience distribution." Oct 23 2011 Patch.

In order to receive full experience for a kill solo, you need to do more than 50% of the damage to the mob. If your pet out-damages you or the group, it will take 50% of the experience away from the kill. This is a major change from the previous system, in which you only needed to do a single point of damage to the mob in order to get full experience. If you are grouped, your group and you will get full xp from the kill.

Also... RTFM
http://wiki.project1999.org/Pet_Guide

Peck80
01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Wow, this is great stuff guys. Far and away better than I was hoping for even. Thanks so much for all the great feedback. Now I just need to pound out a couple more levels to get to 12!

To save you from having to find out the hard way here are my personal guidelines for charming:

1) Dont aim too high. Better charm something in the lower blue area if you want to keep it for a while. Additionally, if such a pet breaks, it will prolly not kill you so fast.

2) How to charm:
a) Always buff yourself with your charisma buff. Generally get high charisma.
b) Mez (ALWAYS use level 4 spell with short duration)
c) Tash (if somebody can cast malo line, thats a plus)
d) Charm
e) Park pet a few meters away. When it breaks it gives you a bit more time to react.
24 seconds after b) you got your new pet

Just to be clear, tash lowers magic resistance, so this is done to ensure your charm hits home correct? Thanks again!

Splorf22
01-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Propo did a test and grouping eliminates the pet xp penalty.

Froglok
01-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Propo did a test and grouping eliminates the pet xp penalty.

That's either a bug or the wiki is wrong. Need a dev to confirm this.

goshozal
01-17-2013, 07:40 PM
There's definitely no penalty once you're grouped, even just a duo and even if the pet does 100% of the fight's damage. It might be an unintended bug, but it definitely works the way I described. Sorry, Schrute.

Swish
01-17-2013, 11:57 PM
I was the cleric that Propo duo'ed with, its a fact I'm afraid Froglok.

Later on, a cleric to complete heal the pet (and enchanter) is invaluable and arguably the greatest duo for XP rate on the server. If you happen to go somewhere with undead, a full mana cleric can also turn wizard with his undead nukes should he find himself able to :)

Pyrion
01-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Wow, this is great stuff guys. Far and away better than I was hoping for even. Thanks so much for all the great feedback. Now I just need to pound out a couple more levels to get to 12!

Just to be clear, tash lowers magic resistance, so this is done to ensure your charm hits home correct? Thanks again!

A charmed pet every so often gets another try to break charm. If it has MR lowered this try is more likely to fail, resulting in a longer charm duration. So always keep MR of pet as low as possible. Landing a charm is no problem even without tash, keeping it is the problem.

A1551
01-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Experiment complete :P

So 100% confirmed there is no experience penalty in groups. Thanks to options the necro for assistance, and Hyasinth for heroing my lvl 1 pet. We both made brand new level ones (enchanters cuz apparently lvl 1 mages dont get pets who knew!?)

We did a few kills with him (no pet) killing level one mobs grouped with me, with him doing 100% of damage -- 5 or 6% per kill (due to rounding on duxaui display). Then we had my chanter animation solo some stuff doing 100% damage -- I did zero damage by finding decaying skellies who would just attack me and let pet do rest. Also got either 5 or 6% exp per kill. That's pretty much it right there -- grouped exp penalties for pets do not exist, even if pet does 100% of the damage. I also tried a few times just doing one hit on mob and letting pet do rest for sake of thoroughness -- 5 or 6% per kill.

Finally, I degrouped and tried soloing just to confirm the solo penalty is 50%, as sometimes Ive been told things like "it's actually 75% not 50%." Being solo and letting pet do 100% of damage -- once again netted me either 5 or 6% per kill. This makes perfect sense, as instead of splitting the exp with Options lvl 1 I was splitting it with my pet. Next, I dumped my pet and soloed some level ones -- lo and behold exactly 11% per kill.

To summarize -- there is no pet exp penalty in groups in any way, shape or form, even if pet does 100% of the damage.

-Propo Fol

A1551
01-19-2013, 10:44 AM
That's either a bug or the wiki is wrong. Need a dev to confirm this.

It wouldn't be the first time the wiki was wrong, even regarding direct quotes from patch notes. It could also be a bug/oversight that the devs aren't aware of, or more likely just don't care about enough to waste time fixing instead of working on more important things (ie velious! Or raid changes <3)

I don't believe the pet exp penalty implementation here is classic, in fact I believe it is more strict/less pet friendly than we were on a classic timeline. Or so I've heard on the forums (which, well, could be wrong too) Certainly making pet classes less group friendly seems pointless, especially if it wasn't actually a classic mechanic. Who knows, maybe one patch day there'll be a lot of sad clerics & enchanters out there.