PDA

View Full Version : Some other noob questions

Zalora
01-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi all!

I'm new to Everquest and have never played it before. I keep hearing good things about the classic game so I decided to try it out. I've been reading up on the game and the server but still have a few questions:

*I don't know anyone personally who plays EQ. What is the easiest way to find groups in the game?
*Is it a good idea to just jump into playing a hard class without any money or items or is it better to make a solo/farming character first?
*If a new player like me plays around 3-4 hours a day, around how long would it take to get to level 60, generally speaking?
*Besides being an Enchanter, is there any way to gain the appearance of another race?
*Is it possible to petition to get a name freed up if its no longer in use?
*Around when is Velious coming out? Is it something I should plan for or will it not be until much later?
*What is going to happen to the server after Velious comes out? Any MMO eventually becomes boring without new content. I'm wondering if playing may ultimately be a waste of time if everything withers away in a year or whenever. :(
*A lot of the screenshots of endgame Monks I see are holding goofy weapons like batons. Is it possible to play a Monk without being obligated at endgame to hold those goofy-looking weapons?
*What class is in the most demand for groups at the moment?

Oh, and one other question: I'm a gay person and reserved the name "Lesbian". Is this an okay name to have, or is it going to get me banned? Just curious. :D

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lagaidh
01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
1.5/10

myxomatosii
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi all!

I'm new to Everquest and have never played it before. I keep hearing good things about the classic game so I decided to try it out. I've been reading up on the game and the server but still have a few questions:

*I don't know anyone personally who plays EQ. What is the easiest way to find groups in the game?

/who all class bottomlevelrange toplevelrange
Examples
/who all druid 11 23 (searches for druids 11-23)
Other than that, join a starter guild and stick to populous zones.

*Is it a good idea to just jump into playing a hard class without any money or items or is it better to make a solo/farming character first?

Depends what you mean by hard class, item dependent, or challenging. Either can be done but you might catch flak from group members early on, ask them what you should be doing instead or /who all yourclass and ask a higher level.

*If a new player like me plays around 3-4 hours a day, around how long would it take to get to level 60, generally speaking?

Depends on your playstyle, a hardcore grinder could get to 60 on that schedule in maybe a month, less? Chances are you'll play more as you get into it, but some people never reach 60 because there is so much else to do.

*Besides being an Enchanter, is there any way to gain the appearance of another race?

Rogue illusion masks, cleric quest masks (not a reliable method), GMs sometimes show up and morph you into all kindsa things for fun :) Drawing a blank but there are other ways...

Doubtful.

*Around when is Velious coming out? Is it something I should plan for or will it not be until much later?

If you find the answer to that, you are the prophet we have dreamed of.

*What is going to happen to the server after Velious comes out? Any MMO eventually becomes boring without new content. I'm wondering if playing may ultimately be a waste of time if everything withers away in a year or whenever. :(

Its the journey, not the destination, you will not regret the time played here regardless of the outcome.

*A lot of the screenshots of endgame Monks I see are holding goofy weapons like batons. Is it possible to play a Monk without being obligated at endgame to hold those goofy-looking weapons?

Depends on your goals, those could be high end uber raid items in which case very difficult to obtain, but iirc most velious content was pretty vanilla, staffs and sceptres.

Rogues, chanters, clerics, warriors, shamans, monks will always be in high demand at all levels. Once again I may have forgotten something.

Oh, and one other question: I'm a gay person and reserved the name "Lesbian". Is this an okay name to have, or is it going to get me banned? Just curious. :D

It could be deemed offensive, or not, there are some pretty questionable names at high level so its really up to the staff. If you can convince them the name has a reasonable subtext you can probably keep it. Diplomacy.

myxomatosii
01-18-2013, 04:58 PM
1.5/10

Don't critique my Jazz Hands.

Lagaidh
01-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Meh I'm sure it'll help someone =)

Massive Marc
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Hi all!

/who all LFG or use a level range.

Doesn't matter on this server, groups can be easy to find and soloing is just as easy. Whatever you want really.

A lot longer then the last response of a month (LOL @ that) at the given amount of time, I'd say about 6months for a new player, at the very least.

Items, there's no other class that does that outside of enchanter.

No.

Nobody knows.

playing any game is a waste of time... not sure what you're asking.

Yes.

There's none. Play what you want. Tanks/Healers are need as a core, anything else goes. Also the server is saturated with monks right now.

*Oh, and one other question: I'm a gay person and reserved the name "Lesbian". Is this an okay name to have, or is it going to get me banned? Just curious. :D

Doubt it, unless someone complains to a GM, you're probably safe. not sure we need to know your sexual preference though !

My replies in Bold

Game isn't hard strategy wise. deaths sucks, traveling takes time. people cheat, sell RMT and end game raiding is sketchy as fuck. Outside of the few faults, the server is pretty good.

Kritimus
01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/ga/ul/315107598/inlineimg/Y/IMG_0349.JPG

Glasken
01-18-2013, 05:57 PM
1.5/10

Itap
01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Never played EQ

Knows EQ lingo

Massive Marc
01-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Never played EQ

Knows EQ lingo

LOL or maybe, just maybe, someone did their homework before they joined the server. I know it's probably over your head, but some people are intelligent.

Llodd
01-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Lol idiots gonna be idiots.

Lyra
01-18-2013, 07:06 PM
LOL or maybe, just maybe, someone did their homework before they joined the server. I know it's probably over your head, but some people are intelligent.

I have this bridge. It can be yours for a nominal fee.

myxomatosii
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM

A lot longer then the last response of a month (LOL @ that) at the given amount of time, I'd say about 6months for a new player, at the very least.

K one week. Actually one day.

Breeziyo
01-18-2013, 09:15 PM
itt: http://i.imgur.com/00qDPbK.gif

Itap
01-19-2013, 01:31 PM

lol @ you with actual responses.

u dun got trolled

Zalora
01-19-2013, 04:08 PM
lol not sure why certain people are calling me a "troll". Just asked some legitimate questions.

Thanks for those that answered genuinely. Would love to get some more opinions. :)

Halfelfbard
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Join a leveling guild and go from there. Its better to learn as you go anyway, and you'll make friends along the way. Enjoy the game for what it is, some people are so angry and butthurt that the end game is to harsh for them.

Enjoy the noob zones, get angry at long corpse runs...meet a few people, help a few people. Only advice i can give really. Yep.

Vladesch
01-19-2013, 07:58 PM
/ all lfg
Got to places where groups form. ie along the beach at oasis. Ground floor at unrest.
That's a bit of an opinion question, but I would always start with a farming class. Probably a druid or necro.
As a new player, maybe 6 months.
There are various items. A common one iss the dark elf mask for rogues and bards which drops in guk. There are other ones for drarf and erudite I believe but I don;t know the details. hmm maybe gnome too.
No
I wouldnt be planning for it. who knows.
*What is going to happen to the server after Velious comes out? Any MMO eventually becomes boring without new content. I'm wondering if playing may ultimately be a waste of time if everything withers away in a year or whenever.
Velious isnt that far ahead that everything currently in the game will become obsolete.
yes
Healers and enchanters both. Bards are usually welcome too.

gotrocks
01-19-2013, 10:30 PM

Forums are actually a good place to get some people together. putting on /lfg always helps, but its certainly not the best way. If you really want to put a group together, /who all *class* *lowest lvl range* - *highestlvl range*

Take out the *'s and fill in the info you want. Joining a "leveling guild" can help, too. There are some listed in the guild forums that are both easy to get into and well populated.

Pick the class you want to play! If you happen to like/enjoy a farming class, go ahead and do that. If not, just play the class you want to play. With the exception of warrior, any class can be viable without leet gear. It's just not fun having to lvl up a 'farm class' before you can play the one you really want to play.

A long time! this game has a very slow xp rate. I'd suggest not worrying about powering to level 60, and instead stop and smell the roses a bit, so to speak. You will eventually get there - its about the journey, not the destination!

There are some items in game that alter your appearance, but if you really want to be able to look like all races, go enchanter. Not only are they one of the best solo classes, they're essentially required in mid-high lvl groups.

Not really, unless you can contact the person who already has the name and ask them to delete their character, or somehow get a gm to change their name.

No one really knows. Hopefully within 6 months. It sounds like they are getting close, but to be honest its a *huge* project, and its done when its done. Dont plan around it, just play what you want and the way you want, this game is about fun (its 13 years old, you're not going to win any prizes for anything here)

*What is going to happen to the server after Velious comes out? Any MMO eventually becomes boring without new content. I'm wondering if playing may ultimately be a waste of time if everything withers away in a year or whenever.

This game will be around for a long time. Many people still play and enjoy the server, and kunark has been out for a long time. The population continue to grow! Don't worry about 'wasting your time', i expect the population will be consistently high for the next ~5 years.

Yes, you have lots of options as a monk. I will say, however, that playing a 'tank' class is by far the hardest kind of class to play, monks in particular have a high learning curve when it comes to tanking for a group.

Clerics are *always* needed, but have little offensive capabilities. Shamans/druids, as healers, are always in demand as well (particularly shamans... its an amazing class, and with slow they heal almost as well as a cleric for most level ranges). Enchanters are also always in demand for their CC, crack, and damage dealing abilities. Tanks classes (monk, warrior, SK, paladin, and to a much lesser extent, rangers) are also always needed, and even if there's already a tank in a group, you can do dps just fine/offtank. Tanks have the highest learning curve (imo) in any game, however, and are highly gear dependent. But, like i said earlier, play the class you want to play, they are all in demand.

The one thing I would strongly consider is that hybrid classes (SK, paladin, bard, ranger, monk) all have very high XP penalties. These penalties wont be removed until velious. Keep this in mind when picking your class, as these classes will level much, much slower than other classes, and also will sometimes be rejected from groups for that reason (xp penalties are shared)

Even though there are alot of them out there right now, its hard to go wrong with a shaman. Its a fantastic solo/group class, and lots of fun to play.

Lastly, if this isnt a troll, hit up gotrocks in game. I'd be happy to swing by you and help you out with some low lvl items/a bit of pp.

Good luck and welcome to p99!

stormlord
01-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Hi all!

The easiest way to find groups is to /lfg on and then /shout LFG!
If you're a level 13 warrior you'd say /shout Level 13 War LFG!
Also try /who all (class) or /who all (min level) (max level)
So.... /who all magician -or- /who all 3 9 -or- /who all warrior 5 13.

Well the most powerful solo class in EQ is the necromancer, but it's an evil-archetype class and doesn't have great grouping capability. The negative-side of playing a melee-based character like a warrior or rogue or ranger or bard or monk is that they're very item-based, so if you start out with one of them it'll maybe be slower. However, this doesn't bother some people. It never bothered me much as a ranger.

Realistically I wouldn't plan on reaching 60 for a year or two or more. Since you're a new player, you'll probably be doing all manner of things that're not efficient. My suggestion is just to have fun. It's not hard to do that.

Items.

Don't know.

Don't know.

I wouldn't worry. Velious is a ways away and you have plenty of content to play in. Keep in mind many of the players here have been playing forever. HOnestly, there's nothing to worry about unless you're an extreme player. But I think even an extreme player is going to miss out on 85% of the game since they min-max where they go.

Don't know.

Enchanter, Cleric, Monk, Warrior, Rogue, Wizard. These're the main group classes.

I think that name is funny, but it would be better to be more creative. Might I suggest something like Skeggjold or Sigrdrifa. They were Valkyrie. Woman warriors that were part of Norse mythology.

I don't know how strict the GM's are about names.

Vladesch
01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Not only are they one of the best solo classes, they're essentially required in mid-high lvl groups.

The caveat being enchanters need jboots for charming.
So you would have to group up to about level 36+. (whatever it takes to kill a level 35 mob. I imagine you would have to root/burn it down)

gotrocks
01-20-2013, 10:45 AM
The caveat being enchanters need jboots for charming.

I would contend (and so would a large number of enchanters) that this isn't true.

A speed increase does certainly help, but i wouldn't say its required for charming at all.

everyone is going to have their own opinion, though.

Slave
01-20-2013, 12:48 PM
It's probably the first big-money item you should go for on every character you own, still. 35% movement increase saves a LOT of time and damage across the board for the rest of your life.

Wasn't the effect called Bootstrider's Strut? or something similar?

Resheph
01-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi all!

-Talk to people, offer to group with whoever strikes your fancy. If they like you, they'll remember you. EQ was always a game of reputation. A good one makes your life a lot better, a bad one has made many people quit.

-If you're truly new (never played it, ever) I'd pick one that you think you'd like but won't drive you nutters. Don't pick a class you'll hate just to farm, though, ever.

-A very long time. EQ is not like WoW/SWTOR where experience is just tossed at you. Losing experience on death also slows the leveling process. Oh, and look up 'hell levels'.

-Items. Some items will give you illusions, check the wiki out.

-Not sure, probably depends on the mood of the devs.

-Don't think anyone really knows for sure. Eventually. Don't plan for it, per se, but expect it. If you like your main, play it to 60.

-People play this game for the nostalgia and difficulty. P1999 will not have yearly releases like live MMOs. In fact, I'm pretty sure that once Velious is released new content pretty much stops.

- Monks get a few weapon types. Fists are one of them.

-I'm told Enchanters, Clerics and tanks. How accurate that is I can't say. personally I decided to go Bard and, once he can make some bank, Wizard.

-Not sure. Check the link below for the rules. 'Lesbian' is pretty much guaranteed to get you harassed though, both from the hardcore anti-gay crowd and the guys that for some reason think lesbians are hot (though, by definition, it means the guy will never see any action from them).
Link: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

Zalora
01-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Lots of good info! :)

A couple other questions:

*Around what is the minimum level can I start effectively farming for money/items? I'm probably going to start with a Druid character to get my feet wet, then make an Enchanter and Warrior down the line once I can give them money and loot.
*Can surnames be shared or are they as unique as first names?
*Is it better to be a dual-wielding tank or use weapon+shield?

Slave
01-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Level 14 for bronze at Nybrights in Lfay
Level 34 for Hill Giants
Level 44-49 for Seafury Cyclops

Surnames are not unique.

Warriors can use Staff of Battle from level 20 for a while but really should switch to two high-aggro proccing weapons as soon as possible, such as Ykesha weapons.

Sephyre
01-23-2013, 02:15 AM
*Around what is the minimum level can I start effectively farming for money/items? I'm probably going to start with a Druid character to get my feet wet, then make an Enchanter and Warrior down the line once I can give them money and loot.

You'll make enough money as you go, honestly.

I wouldn't focus on creating a character that will make more money than another, but play what is most fun. You don't need money to play a druid or an enchanter, a warrior will be harder (but that makes it more enjoyable, imo).

Once you get into dungeon areas, as opposed to doing silly outdoor places like Oasis, you'll make a steady flow of cash from the trash weapon/armour drops off mobs. Especially if you start in Fadywer.

Something like:

1-4 - Noob area.
4-9 - the local area just out of your noob area (Trainer hill in greater faydark).
9+ Local dungeon (Crushbone just off greater faydark).

Once you get into Crushbone you can save crushbone belts/pads to sell for good money to players looking to powerlevel their alts.

Also, the reason you're getting troll accusations is you are posting with a picture of a girl, claiming to be a lesbian in the first post and wanting that name in game. All of which is either a) you want attention, or b) trolling.

Doesn't really bother me either way, but that's why it's happening :)

TheSK
01-23-2013, 02:41 AM

Some people are intelligent. Too bad you are not part of that group of intelligent people Marc, regardless of your "massive" head. :D

TheSK
01-23-2013, 02:56 AM
Hi all!

Just a little FYI, Zalora, lol: no one, after the 13 years Everquest has been out, who just found the game decides to start on Classic EQ. You are full of Bologna.

Regardless, here is my imput. You are not a lesbian so that name would not be suitable. I'm afraid that if you want us to take you seriously and welcome you and your name to this server you would have to prove it. Post a video or some photos, otherwise no one will believe you and you will most certainly get banned for your name.

Pyrion
01-23-2013, 04:03 AM
Regarding levels for farming:
As early as level 2 you can kill spiderlings. Spiderling silk is in demand from tailors, usually you get a plat per piece if you find a tailor in need. A bit later kill small bears (about level 3-5). If you are lucky, a bear drops a high quality bear pelt which sells for 20 plat to tailors again. Around level 10 and if you have a magic weapon you can try wisps. Read about the greater lightstone quest. With this quest you can make almost 10 plat per GLS.

Some people collect bone chips to sell to nekromancers, but the market may be a bit too flooded. Still, don't just sell those to vendors. Any nekro that you will meet in a group will be happy to get them.

Resheph
01-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Just a little FYI, Zalora, lol: no one, after the 13 years Everquest has been out, who just found the game decides to start on Classic EQ. You are full of Bologna.

Just a fyi, you smart&%#, some people hear about it from friends/family, others hear about it from vets who talk about it in other MMOs (I happen to be one of those vets) and it's not unheard of for people to get turned onto EQ by a spouse/S.O.

Go crawl back into your hole, you troll

TheSK
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Just a fyi, you smart&%#, some people hear about it from friends/family, others hear about it from vets who talk about it in other MMOs (I happen to be one of those vets) and it's not unheard of for people to get turned onto EQ by a spouse/S.O.

Go crawl back into your hole, you troll

Look, I understand people talk about the game. I also understand people have friends/family members who play the game. However, the OP made it clear that "she" did not know anyone who plays the game. Furthermore, someone who has never played the game does not start on an EQemu server their first time around. Again "Resheph" you have a hard time reading and keeping things in context, obviously. I think you need to take off your rage boots. :D

Go crawl into a library, you r-r-r-retard.

Resheph
01-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Look, I understand people talk about the game. I also understand people have friends/family members who play the game. However, the OP made it clear that "she" did not know anyone who plays the game. Furthermore, someone who has never played the game does not start on an EQemu server their first time around. Again "Resheph" you have a hard time reading and keeping things in context, obviously. I think you need to take off your rage boots. :D

Go crawl into a library, you r-r-r-retard.

Just a little FYI, Zalora, lol: no one, after the 13 years Everquest has been out, who just found the game decides to start on Classic EQ. You are full of Bologna..

You said 'no one, after the 13 years Everquest has been out', not 'no one who doesn't know anyone who plays'. YOU said it. Those were your words, not mine.

TheSK
01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
You said 'no one, after the 13 years Everquest has been out', not 'no one who doesn't know anyone who plays'. YOU said it. Those were your words, not mine.

My post was in reply to Zalora. Meaning, my words were in reply to her post. Good try though, but you are still a "massive" FAIL.

leezard
01-23-2013, 04:25 PM
quit feeding the troll already, it lost its amusement factor sometime ago

Zalora
01-23-2013, 04:44 PM
You'll make enough money as you go, honestly.

I wouldn't focus on creating a character that will make more money than another, but play what is most fun. You don't need money to play a druid or an enchanter, a warrior will be harder (but that makes it more enjoyable, imo).

Once you get into dungeon areas, as opposed to doing silly outdoor places like Oasis, you'll make a steady flow of cash from the trash weapon/armour drops off mobs. Especially if you start in Fadywer.

Something like:

1-4 - Noob area.
4-9 - the local area just out of your noob area (Trainer hill in greater faydark).
9+ Local dungeon (Crushbone just off greater faydark).

Once you get into Crushbone you can save crushbone belts/pads to sell for good money to players looking to powerlevel their alts.

Also, the reason you're getting troll accusations is you are posting with a picture of a girl, claiming to be a lesbian in the first post and wanting that name in game. All of which is either a) you want attention, or b) trolling.

Doesn't really bother me either way, but that's why it's happening :)

So after level 9 I should just level in dungeons from then on?

And neither a) nor b) is the case. But believe whatever you want. :)

leezard
01-23-2013, 04:49 PM
did not mean op btw. do your thing enjoy the game

Sephyre
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
So after level 9 I should just level in dungeons from then on?

You sound like you want to know the 'best' way to do things before you start. I actually did the same thing when I started way back when, so I can relate.

Dungeons will offer better experience and loot.

Check out:

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Recommended_Levels_and_ZEM_List

But honestly, the best thing will just be to do a /w all <yourlevel> and see what zones most people are doing and goto the popular dungeon for your level bracket.