PDA

View Full Version : Exp Penatlies?

Blackdog22
06-11-2010, 02:45 AM
Are they still in place? Like do Ogre SKs still have terrible exp gains? In old EQ I think the race and class actually multiplied the exp penalty, which would make the idea of an Ogre SK almost obsolete for me. If there is just the race penalty or just the class penalty that would make me feel better.

Anyways just trying to find out. Thanks.

Crasher
06-11-2010, 02:51 AM
What are the experience penalties/bonuses?
By Race:
Troll -20%
Iksar -20%
Ogre -15%
Barbarian -5%
Halfling +5%

By Class:
Paladin / Shadowknight / Ranger / Bard -40%
Monk -20%
Wizard / Magician / Enchanter / Necromancer -10%
Rogue +9%
Warrior +10%

Exp penalties are multiplied not added, so a troll sk would be (1.4 x 1.2 = 1.68 or 68% penalty).

Blackdog22
06-11-2010, 03:00 AM
Okay. Do you know if Exp penalties are shared throughout the group? Also do SKs and Pallies still take damage rather poorly like classic?

Qaedain
06-11-2010, 03:02 AM
AFAIK, the EXP penalty is not shared. As of right now SKs and Pallies make good tanks, but that will altogether less true when Kunark is released. Even now, I believe Warriors are the most efficient to heal.

Blackdog22
06-11-2010, 03:05 AM
I wish the tanks exp penalties were lowered to like 20% at least. This is likely the cause of the shortage on tanks. Giving a class 2/3rds more time to level for being mediocre is an odd thing to do it seems. Especially in a game that requires these classes. Soloers getting an exp penalty would make sense.

mitic
06-11-2010, 04:26 AM
I wish the tanks exp penalties were lowered to like 20% at least. This is likely the cause of the shortage on tanks. Giving a class 2/3rds more time to level for being mediocre is an odd thing to do it seems. Especially in a game that requires these classes. Soloers getting an exp penalty would make sense.

i concur.

is it realy necessary to have those penalties in place just for the sake to be classic devs?

it should rather be neg40 for those OP necros/mages and neg10 for knights and the like

but, oh well....

on this note, i dont recall any official statement by soe about penalties back the day in 1999. any sources?

Tpyo
06-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I think the XP penalties were put in place to punish players for being hybrids because of their spellcasting ability and flat out survivability (wearing plate and casting spells for three of the four -40%). I think monks were punished for roughly the same reason (mend and feign death). Casters have the penalty, but not as severely because of their innate squishiness...

Not that I agree with the original developer's decisions on this... If I remember correctly, at least one of the devs was openly hostile toward hybrids.

Cogwell
06-11-2010, 09:03 AM
I think its a throwback to AD&D hybrid classes.

twincannon
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Huh - wow, never knew bards had the exp penalty in classic.

They should get a carpul tunnel +10% bonus!

The exp penalty was pretty silly. When they removed it the patch notes basically said "we just realized we are stupid". Something along the lines of it not making sense that hybrids got the penalty because they were "more powerful", even though the devs had specifically intended them to be balanced along with the rest of the classes. And low level hybrids were happy since they got a burst of xp/levels upon logging in... max level hybrids, not so much. :)

Nut
06-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I think changing the way exp is distributed to be more inline with classic would at least be more helpful to the hybrids out there.

I think currently the penalties aren't shared with the group exp pool. If the penalties for all classes in the group were calculated and applied to the exp pool before exp was distributed, it would help share the burden and allow hybrids an easier time at leveling when in groups.

I can't remember, but wasn't the pooling changed at some point to have hybrid penalties just magically create exp while grouped(for their penalties), because people were complaining about grouping with hybrids was slowing their exp?

Olorin
06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I think changing the way exp is distributed to be more inline with classic would at least be more helpful to the hybrids out there.

I think currently the penalties aren't shared with the group exp pool. If the penalties for all classes in the group were calculated and applied to the exp pool before exp was distributed, it would help share the burden and allow hybrids an easier time at leveling when in groups.

I can't remember, but wasn't the pooling changed at some point to have hybrid penalties just magically create exp while grouped(for their penalties), because people were complaining about grouping with hybrids was slowing their exp?

It did not magically create exp, hybrids got a higher share of the experience than the other classes (in original eq), thus no one wanted to group with hybrids because it affected the amount of experience they received.