PDA

View Full Version : Corpse timers/Res timers

nilbog
06-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Do not currently work correctly.

We need to make them work correctly.

If you feel you can contribute information, please be as specific as possible.

-If your character dies, how long should your corpse last before rotting? Is this variable by level? Should your timer count down while online/offline/character on same account?

-If you die, how long should you have to receive a resurrection? How much time before you cannot receive a resurrection? Should you be able to res corpses multiple times? What are the stipulations for this?

-Should these mechanics change at any time during the project?

Specific, factual information will help the source developers not have to research prior to fixing these.

Yinaltin
06-11-2010, 05:14 AM
dissappearing corpses after 7 days =168 hours, rez ability should be on for the whole 7 days . no lvl varieties . timer runs even player is not online . runs further if you play another character on same account .
why should you rez a corpse multiple times ?

did i get the topic wrong perhaps ? ...

mitic
06-11-2010, 05:16 AM
on live: exp-rezz was available for 6 hours total, the timer-countdown was active if you have been online on the char who died. normal rezz was still avail., but without exp, for 6 (or 7?) days.

nerfed
06-11-2010, 05:29 AM
You also might want to think of a way to prevent mass corpse resing on the first day of kunark.

Sail
06-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Corpse would stick around for 7 days ( 168 hours ) from the time of death, regardless of online or not, on account or not. DUring this time you could REVIVE the corpse as many times as you wanted. Of course Revive is no experience rezz so why would it matter. ( IE Plane of Sky anyone? )

Exp rezzes were only availble for 3 hours of ONline time. THis means the account logged in, either on that character or another. That was why alot would log out and get on a friends account to check on rezzes if they were crucial like up in the planes and lost 46 time thing.

Spirell
06-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Corpse would stick around for 7 days ( 168 hours ) from the time of death, regardless of online or not, on account or not. DUring this time you could REVIVE the corpse as many times as you wanted. Of course Revive is no experience rezz so why would it matter. ( IE Plane of Sky anyone? )

Exp rezzes were only availble for 3 hours of ONline time. THis means the account logged in, either on that character or another. That was why alot would log out and get on a friends account to check on rezzes if they were crucial like up in the planes and lost 46 time thing.

I agree with Sail... that is how I remember it working.

guineapig
06-11-2010, 07:58 AM
You also might want to think of a way to prevent mass corpse resing on the first day of kunark.

ding ding ding!!!

This is a very good point!!!

Reiker
06-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally when someone rezzed you, you were taken immediately to your corpse with no confirmation window. When they patched that, you could click Accept over and over and receive your exp back 2+ times. Please re-implement this classic bug.

Zordana
06-11-2010, 08:23 AM
on live: exp-rezz was available for 6 hours total, the timer-countdown was active if you have been online on the char who died. normal rezz was still avail., but without exp, for 6 (or 7?) days.

7 days, 6-7 _online_hours rezable THO i think that the rezable countdown got implemented at a later time afaik.. have no evidence tho.

so: you could rez the corpse 7 days (no matter if online or not).. and the rezable countdown got stopped if you logged out that character.. (you could log in a twink and search for a rez)

Ektar
06-11-2010, 08:26 AM

what the hell are you people before this guy talking about? lol.

Corpses were a week - NOT varied by level, as it was later in the game (for like level 5 and under or something). This timer continued online/offline whatever.
3 hour rez timer, paused when off your account.
You can revive a corpse infinite times. You cannot revive THEN resus/res - exp rez needed to be the first one if you were going to get exp back.

Not 100% sure if the 3 hour thing was the rule ALL the way from the beginning cuz I was a giant nubcake back then and didn't know the rules. But for most of my eq life, at least, it has been that 3 hour rule. Anyone wanna research all this stuff for proof please be my guest but I need to do things right now!

Ektar
06-11-2010, 08:28 AM
forgot to say I quoted this dude because he said things right I just wanted to make it pithy and add a thing or two.

Landis
06-11-2010, 09:29 AM
My friend's corpse rotted while he was offline in classic. I'm pretty sure it lasted for 1 week, and he was too lazy to log on to get it.

Ektar
06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
thank you for your input.

Qaedain
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
I am almost positive that a corpse's duration was variable by level, at least a little:

At low levels, possibly below level 10, corpses last for 30 minutes, and after that will decay. At higher levels, a corpse will not decay until 7 real life days have expired, and it will be rezzable for 3 playing hours.
Source: http://www.paullynch.org/Everquest/Death/

Also to confirm, the rez window is 3 hours of in-game time. If you log out of your account (not just your character), the timer was paused.

Alleusion
06-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I am almost positive that a corpse's duration was variable by level, at least a little:

Also to confirm, the rez window is 3 hours of in-game time. If you log out of your account (not just your character), the timer was paused.

^^ this

Gaaaaavin
06-11-2010, 11:17 AM

But take note of the date that info was written. 2002. They made that change later in the game, if I'm not mistaken. I seem to remember lowbie corpses sticking around just as long as every other corpse. I also seem to remember the change being made to prevent people from making giant stacks of lvl one corpses in various places.

Plus, when they made that change, it didn't quite take as long to level through the first ten levels as it did at the beginning.

Aeolwind
06-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Corpses below level 6 lasted for 30 minutes. 6 and beyond was a normal corpse. I remember the race.

Rez time was 2 hours until I think Luclin. It might have been near end Velioius but that time frame is very blurry.

Uaellaen
06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
corpse decay 7 days, online rez time 3 hours or offline 24 hours wich ever came first, online time also counted down if you were on any character of the same account ... thats all i can remember >< i dont know when it got changed to that ... but it was definatly before velious

oh and yeah aeolwind is right before lvl 6 was horrible due to 30 min corpse decay

Aeolwind
06-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Original rez timer was 2 hours, it was changed later due to the size of the world in I believe Luclin.

Aeolwind
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Also, logging to a different character I'm pretty sure paused the timer? I was never in a situation of perma-corpse loss...I was a cleric so my rez timer never even got close to running out lol.

Landis
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Also, logging to a different character I'm pretty sure paused the timer? I was never in a situation of perma-corpse loss...I was a cleric so my rez timer never even got close to running out lol.
pretty sure the timer kept counting if you were logged into any character on the account

Aeolwind
06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
pretty sure the timer kept counting if you were logged into any character on the account

Could def be, I remember logging into other characters once, but I can't remember if it was on my druid on my other account or not.

Mady
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
I believe the timer still counted down even at the character select screen.

Aeolwind
06-11-2010, 12:25 PM
You could def log to the old chat server though. We rescued a raid in fear one night and they had a chat room going out there.

Landis
06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
You could def log to the old chat server though. We rescued a raid in fear one night and they had a chat room going out there.

i agree with that for sure. i remember logging to alts during a sebilis wipe or something, until a logged out cleric was back in and ready to res. but i dont think we were ever concerned with res timers there. luckily we never had a disaster in pof/poh or somewhere that is really hard to recover.

frediveli
06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
lets make this interesting and put a 30 minute timer on it...

JackFlash
06-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I believe the timer still counted down even at the character select screen.

I remember that being true. Server chat was fine. Character select or any other character would run the timer.

Branaddar
06-11-2010, 02:36 PM
lets make this interesting and put a 30 minute timer on it...

I say we install a 5 minute rez timer and 30 minute corpse rot timer.

Could you imagine the trains?

"OMG my corpse is rotting in 2 minutes!" *runs from SolB zoneline to Giants camp*

Erm, but back on topic... as far back as I remember, it was 7 days rot time. And rez/rot timers ticked while logged in anywhere past server select screen, as others have said. I believe corpses rotted while logged in or not. Not sure on rez timers at different levels, though.

Nizzarr
06-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Taken from EQmac:

The Resurrection timer for any corpse is 3 hours of online time. Online time includes any time spent on any character on the account in question, any time spent on any character on the account in question, any time spent at the character select screen, or any time spent waiting in chat.

Corpse could be revived at any time, even if it had been revived before.

7 days for corpse decay is confirmed for sure! Players under lvl 6 had 30 minute corpses.

Phallax
06-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Corpses below level 6 lasted for 30 minutes. 6 and beyond was a normal corpse. I remember the race.

Rez time was 2 hours until I think Luclin. It might have been near end Velioius but that time frame is very blurry.

This is spot on for classic. It was 2 hour rez timer, and as Reiker? I think? stated after the first rez you could be revived unlimited times untill the corpse rotted or was fully looted. But I dont think it was limited to just revive, clerics would use their sprinklers for this as well, you just wouldnt be granted the exp of course.

The 7 day online timer(account not character) is also correct.

Khebahl
06-11-2010, 03:50 PM
This is from page 20 of the Kunark (I know, but it's the earliest one I still have) manual.

--------------------------------------
IMPORTANT! If your character dies with valuable items in inventory, don't exit the game until you've recovered everything from your corpse. Your body only survives for so long, so if you wait, the body may disappear before you find it. The time varies, depending on your character's level and whether you're logged into the game or not.

If you're still in the game ...
Level 1 = 1 hour Level 2 = 8 hours Level 6+ = 7 days

If you're not logged into the game ...
Level 1 = 30 minutes Level 2-3 = 2 hours Level 4+ = 24 hours

If you don't have any items (regardless of whether you're in the game or not) ...
Level 1 = 30 minutes Level 2-3 = 2 hours Level 4+ = 8 hours
--------------------------------------

Ya, I know this doesn't have anything about res, but it's all I have.

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
06-11-2010, 04:30 PM
From the patch notes of Sept 29, 1999

Corpses that are older than 2 hours cannot be resurrected.
Corpses that are produced from a duel cannot be resurrected after 10 minutes.

From the patch notes of June 22, 2000

Previously, players had to be resurrected within two hours after death in order to receive any experience back as part of the resurrection. Due to the increased size and difficulty associated with Kunark zones, we've raised this limit from two hours to three. This should assist players and make it easier for them to obtain an experience-returning resurrection within the time limit.

From the patch notes of July 19, 2000

Resurrection:

The resurrection confirmation box will now report the name of the person casting the spell as well as what spell they are casting. Furthermore, experience will not be "removed" from your corpse until you accept the resurrection by choosing YES. Previously, any resurrection spell, if declined, would cause the experience to be unrecoverable.

So...

Resurrections:
Res timer was 2 hours, became 3 hours during Kunark. Corpses resulting from duels had a 10 min res timer. These time limits only counted down while the account was on character select or logged in with any character. The first xp res you took removed the xp on the corpse. Future resses were possible (with any res effect or spell) up through 2 hours (or 3 hours or 10 min as appropriate), but no more xp return. Basically, the amount of xp lost on death would be stored on the corpse. The first xp res that was accepted authorized a return to the character of a certain % of this xp (based on the spell or effect). At the same time, the corpse lost all the xp stored on it. Future res spells still within the res timer would work, there would just be no xp to return a % of.

Corpses:
Level 1-6, 30 min, online or offline
Level 7+, 24 hours online (char select or any character on the account logged in) or 7 days offline, whichever came first as long as there was an item on it. If there was no coin or item on a corpse, 30 min.

Ostehaps
06-11-2010, 04:32 PM
didn't bother to read it all.. but essentially it was 7 day rotting.. 2 hours rezz period.. 3 hours after kunark..

September 28, 1999
------------------------------

The following changes have been implemented with the latest patch, most
importantly, changes to corpse resurrection. It should be noted that
all corpses generated previous to this patch may not be resurrected,
however, all corpses generated from this point forward may be
resurrected with the changes listed below applying.

- Corpses that are older than 2 hours cannot be resurrected.
- Corpses that are produced from a duel cannot be resurrected after 10
minutes.

June 22, 2000 9:00 am
------------------------------
*Resurrection*

Previously, players had to be resurrected within two hours after death
in order to receive any experience back as part of the resurrection.
Due to the increased size and difficulty associated with Kunark zones,
we've raised this limit from two hours to three. This should assist
players and make it easier for them to obtain an experience-returning
resurrection within the time limit.

soup
06-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Is it just me, or does the whole 2/3 hour res timer thing like it would essentially force people to not play in certain situations?

You die and no clerics on? Time to bail on your group because you're done for the night.

Yoite
06-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Is it just me, or does the whole 2/3 hour res timer thing like it would essentially force people to not play in certain situations?

You die and no clerics on? Time to bail on your group because you're done for the night.

you could do that, or you could just go back to exping... you don't have to get a res when you die, its not like its required.

jilena
06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I am with Aeolwind on the 30 minutes prior to level 6 on corpse rot. I remember not twinking until level 6 because of this. Also from what I remember the res timers were per account and not just per character. I remember logging on friends accounts to await a res.

I would personally leave out the 30 minutes before level 6 part on here as it really helps nothing and may discourage new players a good deal. Then again I am not as hardcore into the OMG IT MUST BE EXACTLY CLASSIC experience.

Branaddar
06-11-2010, 08:19 PM

On the flipside, level 50s bank 1000 corpses and when Kunark comes out, rez them all for massive XP gain.

Death is meant to be punishing, which is why soloing is risky if you don't have a pocket cleric at your beck and call.

I don't mean to sound like I'm making a character judgment against you specifically, but if people do that, they get stuck on my no-group list. Playing as a monk, it's my job to die for the group to prevent trains.

Hell, I remember ranting at warriors for QQing how often they died on raids. A monk before Stonewall and Rapid Feign and all that would die 5x more often than a tank on a raid.

Sorry, got a bit off-topic there. Point is, sometimes things go bad. If the group keeps dieing and has no rezzes, then fair enough. But if you die once due to a minor issue and camp to wait for a rez... well... good luck with that. You could've made the XP back in the time you took to log out and wait for a cleric to rez you.

soup
06-12-2010, 12:18 AM
On the flipside, level 50s bank 1000 corpses and when Kunark comes out, rez them all for massive XP gain.

Death is meant to be punishing, which is why soloing is risky if you don't have a pocket cleric at your beck and call.

I don't mean to sound like I'm making a character judgment against you specifically, but if people do that, they get stuck on my no-group list. Playing as a monk, it's my job to die for the group to prevent trains.

Hell, I remember ranting at warriors for QQing how often they died on raids. A monk before Stonewall and Rapid Feign and all that would die 5x more often than a tank on a raid.

Sorry, got a bit off-topic there. Point is, sometimes things go bad. If the group keeps dieing and has no rezzes, then fair enough. But if you die once due to a minor issue and camp to wait for a rez... well... good luck with that. You could've made the XP back in the time you took to log out and wait for a cleric to rez you.

Why bother grinding for an hour or two if you can just log off and get a res the next day and get just as much exp without having to grind? If someone dies and says "alright, It's getting late, I really need to get to bed for work in the morning" and logs off, are you going to assume they're just bailing out for a exp res and add them to your nogroup list?

Also, why even bother mentioning the 50s with a million corpses, as if the only possible way to prevent that is a 3 hour res window?

Zordana
06-12-2010, 01:40 AM
i would say keep it as it is, but its not classic... *seriously sighs loudly*

Phallax
06-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Why bother grinding for an hour or two if you can just log off and get a res the next day and get just as much exp without having to grind? If someone dies and says "alright, It's getting late, I really need to get to bed for work in the morning" and logs off, are you going to assume they're just bailing out for a exp res and add them to your nogroup list?

Also, why even bother mentioning the 50s with a million corpses, as if the only possible way to prevent that is a 3 hour res window?

Why not just keep grinding and hope that a res comes along before the timer is up and come out even more on top?
Youre not guaranteed to get a res even when you do log back in and youre screwing your group out of a member.

On topic: Id love to see this chaned. It would get rid of alot of the corpses littered, even tho /hidecorpse is available im sure it would help the server lag out some, even tho its very minimal already.

kariden
06-12-2010, 06:44 AM
There are times you join a seriously FAIL group. Its easier to just log out and go do something else until you have a cleric online to rez you.
RE: op - its already been said