PDA

View Full Version : Need some help picking my race/class

Safon
06-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Hey all, as the topic says, i am really seeking some solid veteran advice before deciding on a main for my second run through Classic :p. I recall raising a character in EQ Classic being a very dedicated, time consuming process, so i want to be absolutely sure i make the right choice, especially considering there are bound to be differences between actual Classic back in the day, and this glorious server.

The three thoughts currently running through my head are these :

1 - My first choice at this point would be a Necro, but i remember they are KoS in almost all the cities of Norrath. How big a problem is this, what are the ramifications? Do the strengths they get allow them to always be self sufficient?

2 - If i were to play a Necromancer, which race would give me the most cities to be accepted in? I was thinking an Erudite Necromancer, would starting in Paineel and on Odus kill the game experience for me? Can anyone who is currently on Odus let me know what the continent is like?

3 - Are there any good guilds on the server that are welcoming to returning average players? Id love to grow into a dedicated player/raider, but im also here to savor the journey as well as the destination, so to speak. Any guilds that facilitate grouping for lowbies?

Thanks so much for any help offered

guineapig
06-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Personally I feel that if you are going to go necro you should go as evil as possible and give the finger to as many factions as you can right off the bat.

That being said, I have been holding out on making a necro till Kunark comes out.
Besides the fact that everybody hates the Iksar (including some iksar), they are the only necros with regen, and that alone is a gamebreaker.

Second choice would be to make up a storyline for your character and the race you choose will come naturally. I feel that there is no "bad choice" for a starting race for necromancers.

Reiker
06-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Iksar is the best race for Necromancers, but you won't be able to create one for awhile. Second best is obviously Erudites for their high int and also this quest: http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=7105

Playing one will be a bit tough, you'll be stuck soloing in Tox Forest for 8 levels until you can get Gather Shadows (if you're kos in Erudin like live), unless you find an enchanter to invis you through Erudin (they get invis at 4). You should be fine in Qeynos (again, based on live experience. Faction might be different here), just get a bind and stay away from cleric/paladin guilds.

Cogwell
06-11-2010, 08:59 AM
I can tell you a gnome bertox worshipper is KoS in Grobb and Oggok, which kinda sucks for buying low level pet spells. Dubious and Indiff to most of EFP and WFP, KoS in NFP, and KoS to Qeynos guards.

Safon
06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Okay thanks for the info, so im guessing as an Erudite i'd only be non KoS in Freeport and Paineel?

Are Necromancers still really powerful to make up for their being hated everywhere? Will i be able to solo well as well as help in groups through to 50?

Skope
06-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Okay thanks for the info, so im guessing as an Erudite i'd only be non KoS in Freeport and Paineel?

Are Necromancers still really powerful to make up for their being hated everywhere? Will i be able to solo well as well as help in groups through to 50?

I soloed pretty much all the way from lvl 1 to 50. Next to mages, necros are the most efficient soloers, and just like mages they provide some incredible DPS to groups and raids.

Safon
06-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Hmm, so what does the Necromancer have over the Mage, if the Mage is the best solo'er, provides incredible dps to groups, is welcome in most of Norrath, etc?

Skope
06-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Necro has better sustained DPS, can FD and single pull, has far better healing and a more efficient soloer.

Most importantly, a necro doesn't get the shaft as expansions unfold, whereas mage DPS takes a nosedive while making up some ground on utility.

Safon
06-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Nice, is there a source of information somewhere that could tell me which race would have me KoS the least amount of places as a Necromancer?

And i'd absolutely love it if someone could tell me what the population of Odus is like atm, and if there is any benefit to starting there. Do higher levels still visit the library's in Erudin and Paineel (i heard those that do but are KoS tip very well to have newbies run in and shop for them)

Skope
06-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Don't worry about being KoS. In fact i'd say being KoS to towns/factions is more of a benefit than a hindrance, as it allows you to kill guards and NPCs that are usually uncamped for exp and plat.

Safon
06-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Hmm, well i do recall that outer Gnome watchman being butchered over and over by someone as i lvled my gnome in Steamfont years ago.

What should stat allocation of an Erudite Necromancer look like?

And does anyone have any tips for me?

rioisk
06-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Erudites start with high INT. By end-game you'll easily have 200+ int so it's not a big deal.

Put as much as you can into STA as even in velious this is a hard stat to max.

Necromancers are not as efficient soloers vs magicians in terms of grinding kill after kill ie mages can chain blues better than necromancers. Necromancers, however, can kill higher level mobs at earlier levels and have much greater survivability with FD/lifetap.

Darian
06-12-2010, 12:19 AM
1 - My first choice at this point would be a Necro, but i remember they are KoS in almost all the cities of Norrath. How big a problem is this, what are the ramifications? Do the strengths they get allow them to always be self sufficient?

Not as big as you'd think. As a necro there is really no reason to ever venture into cities like Halas, Felwithe, Kaladim, etc. The main cities you'll concern yourself with as a necro are Freeport, Neriak and to a lesser extent Qeynos; regardless, at level 8 you get Gather Shadows and 16 is Feign Death, meaning as long as you're cautious you can pretty much travel through wherever you want.

2 - If i were to play a Necromancer, which race would give me the most cities to be accepted in? I was thinking an Erudite Necromancer, would starting in Paineel and on Odus kill the game experience for me? Can anyone who is currently on Odus let me know what the continent is like?

Erudite or Human are the best if you're overly concerned about faction issues. Dark Elves are KOS everywhere but Neriak and Paineel (again, not as big a problem as it seems). Starting in Odus won't kill your game experience, but you won't be able to invis past the guards to get off the continent until level 8, and you'll have a miserable (and lonely) time levelling in Toxx Forest until then. IMO your best move would be to sit around the druid rings and see if someone will spare a port to get you to Freeport. Bind there and make that your home away from home.

3 - Are there any good guilds on the server that are welcoming to returning average players? Id love to grow into a dedicated player/raider, but im also here to savor the journey as well as the destination, so to speak. Any guilds that facilitate grouping for lowbies?

Thanks so much for any help offered

Definitely! Check the guild forum section of the forums.

Hope this helped. If you need any more swaying to the winning team, just remember: Necros are a lot like mages... except we're a little more versatile than chain casting the same pet over and over again... and we never die.

G13
06-12-2010, 01:22 AM
If you play a necro go Dark Elf

Hide >

Safon
06-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Sounds good guys, thanks a ton for the info!