PDA

View Full Version : Biggest "gamechanger" spell/ability

Landis
06-11-2010, 09:24 AM
I was just thinking about this last night while watching my mana regen crawl.

What does everyone consider the biggest "gamechanger" spell or ability? What spell do you look forward to so much because it makes leveling significantly easier/faster, or makes the game much more enjoyable?

The only class I've leveled to a high level is an enchanter, and without a doubt I would pick clarity and thus level 29 as THE level to reach. After that, everyone loves you so getting a group is easy, and soloing is that much less painful.

For shaman, I would guess cannibalize.
For druids/wizards, ports?

What do you think?

YendorLootmonkey
06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Complete Heal

Skope
06-11-2010, 09:42 AM
shaman? Torpor :)

Extunarian
06-11-2010, 09:46 AM
^^^ torpor.

And for a chanter...clarity is a damn nice buff but it never saved me from death like my mezzes!

pickled_heretic
06-11-2010, 09:49 AM
disease cloud

Branaddar
06-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Back in the day as a Wizard, while the ports were nice, they were pretty secondary. A convenience more than anything.

I'd say my biggest "yay" spells were my Giant- and Dragon-bane nukes, and the Lure (low resist) line of nukes. From a raid perspective, anyway.

Alleusion
06-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Okay maybe I'm a dork, but the project illusion was a big one for my chanter. Nothing like turning Branaddar's monk into a gnome just as he ran off to pull.

Lill-Leif
06-11-2010, 09:59 AM
FD for monks and necros. It makes you take more risks and chances, less downtime (for corpse runs), and greater rewards :)

Landis
06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Okay maybe I'm a dork, but the project illusion was a big one for my chanter. Nothing like turning Branaddar's monk into a gnome just as he ran off to pull.

Hm what expansion was that, I don't remember it (I quit just before luclin). I'll admit illusions were what attracted me most about enchanters as a newb, nothing like disguising yourself as a coin in EC and watching people try to pick you up.

FatMagic
06-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Kodiac's Endless Intellect when it could be cast on all levels (before they nerfed it to only like level 45+). Talk about the most sick powerleveling buff EVER for a caster. Lasted for 2.5 hours! Of course this was PoP era and not classic.

Extunarian
06-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Wasn't unrestricted KEI in Luclin?

Omnimorph
06-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Enchanters - Clarity (you aren't a proper chanter without it)
Dru - I always consider SoW to be the de facto buff that makes a druid
Shamans - Cannabilize is when you start differing from other classes in a massive way
Necro / SK - FD prolly my favourite acquisition
Cleric - CH, it'll be the permanently memmed spell you have.
Bard - Selo's of course!!!

My favourite AA for my chanter on live was either self-stasis (actually the friendly stasis bug that was on for a while was fun and OP :D ) and Phantasmal Opponent.

Aeolwind
06-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Complete Heal for 1000 Alex. Nothing like having all the content in the game built around 1 spell lol.

Omnimorph
06-11-2010, 10:31 AM

yep luclin, dropped off ssra nameds :D Had chanters peddling their wares in nexus.

FatMagic
06-11-2010, 10:34 AM

My bad! Luclin, that's right. *Duh* How could I forget... I used to sit in the Bazaar with my 60 Chanter and cast KEI for donations. I was able to make 1-2k plat in a few hours time EASY by doing this. Fantastic way to support my twinks :D

Alleusion
06-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Hm what expansion was that, I don't remember it (I quit just before luclin). I'll admit illusions were what attracted me most about enchanters as a newb, nothing like disguising yourself as a coin in EC and watching people try to pick you up.

It was an AA released with PoP.

Aeolwind
06-11-2010, 10:41 AM
It was an AA released with PoP.

That was minor illusion. I remember disguising myself as the large pile of poo in west freeport. When you illusioned it became the size of a cart. Although, some might say that I'm still a pile of poo and that it wasn't an illusion!

FatMagic
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
That was minor illusion. I remember disguising myself as the large pile of poo in west freeport. When you illusioned it became the size of a cart. Although, some might say that I'm still a pile of poo and that it wasn't an illusion!

That was the FIRST thing I tried to do when I got Minor Illusion here on P99, was to try and turn into the giant pile of poo -- but alas - it doesn't work on P99! :( On Live, I would spin when people walk by, freaked them right out - and Halflings look as though they are neck deep in it when they stand in your illusion :D

Jify
06-11-2010, 11:23 AM
shaman? Torpor :)

+1

Omnimorph
06-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Nah, minor illusion is self only and rooted you, he / she was talking about project illusion which was an AA with PoP i think which you activated and casted an illusion spell (usually self only) on someone else. They had a raid utilise this in GoD wit the "gnome ovens" where if people weren't in gnome illusion they would set off a nasty trap and wipe the raid.

Minor illusion had alot of fun uses though, i loved turning into something which was stupidly big.

Excision Rottun
06-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Fading Memories.

Kerrik
06-11-2010, 12:54 PM
While Cannibalize was powerful for a Shaman, having to recover the lost HPs limited it's effectiveness, particularly when you had to worry about low health aggro on top of your aggro for healing and debuffing. Shaman healing was deliberately weaker and less efficient than the other priest classes.

Torpor was truly the single most powerful spell ever given to the Shaman. While it had negative effects (slowing and snaring hte target), the fact that you were recovering 300 HPs a tick for 4 ticks for a tiny amount of mana greatly enhanced a Shaman's capabilities. Cannibalizing became the absolute best mana regen in the game, even better than KEI. With Canni and a torpor-series spell, I could handle main healing in groups as well or better than a cleric with KEI and often would take over healing while the cleric went to get a crack hit, even though I didn't have a KEI. A good Shaman almost never ran out of mana, regardless of buffs.

Another powerful spell was Malo. A huge resist debuff that always landed and had very little aggro? It was literally the first spell I cast in incoming, each and every single time. Not only did it make Turgur's Insects more likely to land, it also helped with Damage spells (DD or DoTs) and root whenever I needed to park a mob off to the side until the group was ready to kill it. If I were playing a Shaman main again, Malo would be my second highest priority, after Torpor, for spells to acquire in Kunark.

Malrubius
06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
That was the FIRST thing I tried to do when I got Minor Illusion here on P99, was to try and turn into the giant pile of poo -- but alas - it doesn't work on P99! :( On Live, I would spin when people walk by, freaked them right out - and Halflings look as though they are neck deep in it when they stand in your illusion :D

Aww man - this should be bugged.

Aeolwind
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Aww man - this should be bugged.

DX issue. The poo is no longer an object I don't think. =(. Minor illusion draws from a list in the zone of potential forms & sadly, poo isn't a choice.

FatMagic
06-11-2010, 01:41 PM
DX issue. The poo is no longer an object I don't think. =(. Minor illusion draws from a list in the zone of potential forms & sadly, poo isn't a choice.

Either way, I've tried Minor Illusion in a few zones and never had it work. And the poo is still there in West Freeport, you can see it on the ground. But nothing happens. So even though it's there, it must not be an object like you said Aeol.

Pyrocat
06-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Another powerful spell was Malo. A huge resist debuff that always landed and had very little aggro? It was literally the first spell I cast in incoming, each and every single time. Not only did it make Turgur's Insects more likely to land, it also helped with Damage spells (DD or DoTs) and root whenever I needed to park a mob off to the side until the group was ready to kill it. If I were playing a Shaman main again, Malo would be my second highest priority, after Torpor, for spells to acquire in Kunark.

Unfortunately Malo is bugged on P1999 and has just as high, if not higher aggro than Slow.

My contribution: CoH for Mages. Summon Corpse for Necros.

rioisk
06-11-2010, 02:02 PM
complete heal

logiktrip
06-11-2010, 02:29 PM
CH followed very closely by Defensive

Mady
06-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Sword of the Bloodsworn and Copper Hammer of Striking auged.

:rolleyes:

Kainzo
06-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Feign Death, SK or Death's Peace in Kunark.

Alawen Everywhere
06-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Although I love ports and Spirit of Wolf, I would not consider those the "game changing" druid spells.

The game changer for druids comes at level 34. It's called Lightning Strike and it's the first really solid quad spell. This changes the game because a druid who quads levels much faster than a druid looking for a group.

Another reasonable choice is the 14-minute, level 29 snare spell, Ensnare. A druid can eventually kill any mob he or she can land ensnare on in an outdoor zone. However, this spell just makes things easier and I consider it less of a true game changer.

Cogwell
06-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Death Peace was Velious.

Phallax
06-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Complete Heal

Raids pretty much wouldnt happen with out this spell. Thats pretty game changing.

Reiker
06-11-2010, 05:33 PM
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=24699
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=5532

ooantipostoo
06-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Fading memories level 63 AA for bards that wipes ALL agro instantly and also invis's the bard.

Kerrik
06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=24699

Mmmm... Time's Antithesis. I got the very first one to drop on the Combine, maybe a week after the first one dropped on the Sleeper. Perhaps the defining Shaman weapon, but far too rare.

Phallax
06-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Never did get my TA, damn points system and points hoarders...sigh

Gandite
06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
For me the biggest gamechanger was Manaburn when luclin first arrived. On Povar (and other servers I presume) we had the Burn Death Squad. 6 wizards that cycled various targets that were mostly for epics. It worked very well until they nerfed it.

Also I miss Triton.

Reiker
06-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Mmmm... Time's Antithesis. I got the very first one to drop on the Combine, maybe a week after the first one dropped on the Sleeper. Perhaps the defining Shaman weapon, but far too rare.
I got that first one on the Sleeper.

Skope
06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I think "gamechanger" can be and should be looked at as a spell that completely changes the way a class plays. CH is important, but doesn't necessarily change the game, simply makes it more efficient.

Towards lvl 60 the only logical answer for me is Torpor. Before torpor a shaman isn't truly a viable MH, nor can they solo all that crazy stuff, nor can they duo some pretty nutso stuff, but after torpor it all becomes possible while other camps and mobs just become plain ol' easy. That single spell almost completely changes the way you play as a shaman, i think that no other class has quite a spell quite like that.

toddfx
06-11-2010, 09:43 PM
FD for monks and necros. It makes you take more risks and chances, less downtime (for corpse runs), and greater rewards :)

Yeah I'd definitely say FD as a monk. Absolutely lets you push it to the limit, yet allows you to bring it back a notch when you need to.

Plus it gives you something to do DURING downtime! I love jumping around in the air while everybody else is sitting quietly!