PDA

View Full Version : teaching my wife

Kendir
01-21-2013, 10:00 PM
So I talked my wife into giving EQ a shot and has never played an mmo before and is playing a dark elf enchanter im trying to stand over her shoulder and tell her what to do but she doest understand some of what im telling her and its frustrating her. I was hoping someone had some experience teaching true noobs and would have some advice

myxomatosii
01-21-2013, 10:09 PM
So I talked my wife into giving EQ a shot and has never played an mmo before and is playing a dark elf enchanter im trying to stand over her shoulder and tell her what to do but she doest understand some of what im telling her and its frustrating her. I was hoping someone had some experience teaching true noobs and would have some advice

Some dude made a beginner video a few days ago.

But I can't find it to link it..

Lexical
01-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Enchanter is a pretty hard class to start out with honestly. I would just introduce her to the lore and get her immersed then let Evercrack do the rest.

webrunner5
01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Mage is pretty easy. Try that. Don't need any gear also. Yeah, enchanter not easy.

Bohab
01-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Try an easier class, ench involves a lot of work. Wizard maybe? :)

Ryba
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Why would you want your wife to play?

Froglok
01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Why would you want your wife to play?

Swish
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
A lot of the wives/girlfriends seem to have an appetite for healing - I'd suggest a cleric :)

Striiker
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I had started my wife out with a Paladin, thinking that the combination of a melee class and a casting class would work well for her. She played that a while and lost interest. She has played a few classes but seemed to like her mage and necro the most so I would go with the suggestions made in this regard. An enchanter is a difficult class to play well for a new player. Let her learn the mechanics of the game etc first.

Extunarian
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
I agree with some others here...try a mage...get that xp bar moving...let the skinner box do its work.

Slave
01-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Basically, you have to lose every instinct you normally have to instantly correct what you see as bad play.

Go alongside her as an equal level, and take care of yourself. Let her come into it on her own. Just sort of make it more of an adventure for her, and less of a lesson.

August
01-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Good luck, man.

My wife's first MMO was WoW - a game that we played for 6 years together through casual times and hardcore raiding (40 man MC where only 40 chars locked to the instance - ouch!).

She was hardcore into it - we played the AH, we raided, we had multiple max level alts each.

I can't get her to touch EQ with a 10 foot pole.

bloodgrave
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
This is my wife's first MMO as well. She started with the Troll SK and I rolled a Troll Shaman as I've never played on before. (goolash & noolash!)

It's frustrating at times but enjoying that she's getting into it :) I find it funny what she thinks some of the acronyms are and how pissed off she gets at me when she dies haha.

AFK = A fuckin' killer!

Tecmos Deception
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
I agree with some others here...try a mage...get that xp bar moving...let the skinner box do its work.

For someone who is new to MMOs, I think that "getting the xp bar moving" should be the last thing to concern yourself with.

People who are new to MMOs don't have the urge to be higher level right nao so they can be uber; they just want to have fun.

Kendir
01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
She isnt too worried about how much xp shes getting or fast she levels she is playing so that she is having an adventure she actually said last night "I feel like Frodo, I walk all over the place and have to hide from ALOT of stuff." But i explained the basics of each class to her and also suggested a few like mage, cleric, and ranger, but she was stuck on the fact that chanters get a pet and can turn into other races. So i let her run with it. I showed her the basics of movement, and how to con, and what newbie loot to sell to merchants or put in the bank. Like i said i stood over her for awhile watching but i think i was making her more frustated by pointing out the "bad" things she was doing. So i left her on her own for awhile and she ended up playing for a couple hours. She had her first couple of corpse runs too and would call me over to help her find her corpse but she ended up having fun and i think the evercrack worked on her.

tenkakahn
01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Give her a fungi and pick any class name that interests her tell her to go out and have fun red con = run anything else kill if you want. if she doesn't enjoy it then go back to sexing her up if she does congrats post a marriage date in game that shit was real business on live 500+ in kelethine for marriages

Froglok
01-22-2013, 02:52 PM
She isnt too worried about how much xp shes getting or fast she levels she is playing so that she is having an adventure she actually said last night "I feel like Frodo, I walk all over the place and have to hide from ALOT of stuff." But i explained the basics of each class to her and also suggested a few like mage, cleric, and ranger, but she was stuck on the fact that chanters get a pet and can turn into other races. So i let her run with it. I showed her the basics of movement, and how to con, and what newbie loot to sell to merchants or put in the bank. Like i said i stood over her for awhile watching but i think i was making her more frustated by pointing out the "bad" things she was doing. So i left her on her own for awhile and she ended up playing for a couple hours. She had her first couple of corpse runs too and would call me over to help her find her corpse but she ended up having fun and i think the evercrack worked on her.

It would have been more productive to train her how to get a beer for you instead.

Extunarian
01-22-2013, 03:32 PM
For someone who is new to MMOs, I think that "getting the xp bar moving" should be the last thing to concern yourself with.

People who are new to MMOs don't have the urge to be higher level right nao so they can be uber; they just want to have fun.

Yes because what I meant was she should race to 60 /s

When I started on EQ live, getting to level 5 on my first class (magician) and getting my super powerful next rank of pets was fun and breathed new life into the experience.

Obviously I wouldn't expect OP's wife to be a power gamer, but MMO's (especially everquest) are frustrating, and seeing even marginal character growth helps offset that frustration.

So yes, getting the xp bar moving by picking a class that levels easily in the early game - like a mage or necro - is a good way of getting people to have fun grinding because the rewards will come quickly in the beginning. It helps to blunt the otherwise harsh learning curve.

Kendir
01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm going to work on getting an IP exemption (where do i go to apply for one?) so that I can duo with her as well. I was wondering what the best choices would be to duo with a chanter. Was thinking druid would be nice so we could have SoW and ports, and heals but any advice on this would be nice too.

Froglok
01-22-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm going to work on getting an IP exemption (where do i go to apply for one?) so that I can duo with her as well. I was wondering what the best choices would be to duo with a chanter. Was thinking druid would be nice so we could have SoW and ports, and heals but any advice on this would be nice too.

People keep saying cleric is best. Complete heal on charmed pets or something?

Rezek
01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
It would have been more productive to train her how to get a beer for you instead.

This made me lol