PDA

View Full Version : Wizard,enchanter or ranger?

DarkNess
01-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Hey guys,

I've made a druid recently on p99 blue and I didnt really like it too much (along with a monk).

I've been considering to reroll for quite sometime and I've narrowed it down to the three classes in the title of this thread.

Just looking for opinions mostly. Though I have a feeling a wizard might be a bit better off

maverixdamighty
01-23-2013, 11:36 AM
if you like to group definitely enchanter. if you like soloing enchanters is probably still your best bet, but quadding with a wiz is pretty fun as well. if you want to be bad at both ranger.

Swish
01-23-2013, 11:41 AM
if you like to group definitely enchanter. if you like soloing enchanters is probably still your best bet, but quadding with a wiz is pretty fun as well. if you want to be bad at both ranger.

To do charm soloing though you'll need some charisma gear else the breaks can be tricky, especially at lower levels if your mana pool isn't too sizeable. Aim for at least 150, or 200 if you can do it ;)

Agree though, enchanters do solo very well :)

khanable
01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
I have seen a wizard spire in a lonngggg time.

Play a wizard. Need more taxis.

Alarti0001
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Hey guys,

I've made a druid recently on p99 blue and I didnt really like it too much (along with a monk).

I've been considering to reroll for quite sometime and I've narrowed it down to the three classes in the title of this thread.

Just looking for opinions mostly. Though I have a feeling a wizard might be a bit better off

Do you intend on raiding? Also, do you want to make some Plats? If you level a wizard to 50 I'll buy it =))

DarkNess
01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Raiding? Eh,maybe but im unsure about it.

Gear would be an issue..and i just logged in to find a lvl 4 wizard with some stuff already xD might go with that

Resheph
01-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Hey guys,

Don't play what you don't like. You'll do a half-&%$ job and people will notice.

Wizard is awesome, IMO. It pretty much requires you to master some form of kiting and/or root-nuking, though. I played one on live for years and once my Bard hits 40 or so and i can gear my Wizard here in Loam I'm gonna play one here too.

I know jack about Rangers aside from that fact that, when I played live back in the day, a common saying was 'let the Ranj0r die, it takes less mana to rez it than it does to keep it alive'.

Enchanters can be fun, but frustrating and you have to be situationally aware with them. Pretty much everyone wants to have one in a group, though, and they're supposed to be one of the best soloers in the game.

Wizards are just what they seem... spike nukers. You can quad kite after a while (forget the level) and are wanted also for ports (which will remain a major thing in Classic). The downside to them is their mana dependency.

Alarti0001
01-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Raiding? Eh,maybe but im unsure about it.

Gear would be an issue..and i just logged in to find a lvl 4 wizard with some stuff already xD might go with that

Wizards will be fairly limited in the "grouping" playstyle. You will mostly be stuck quadding things. Rangers will be fairly limited in the "grouping" playstyle. Enchanters are prob the best bet if you want to be social but not raid. Also, gear isnt a huge factor for an int caster like it is a melee. With an enchanter being a bit higher gear dependent than a wizard. Tip.... make a female character and hang around EC tunnel you will get geared quickly. Then just transfer the items to your male character.!

Silo69
01-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Wizards will be fairly limited in the "grouping" playstyle. You will mostly be stuck quadding things. Rangers will be fairly limited in the "grouping" playstyle. Enchanters are prob the best bet if you want to be social but not raid. Also, gear isnt a huge factor for an int caster like it is a melee. With an enchanter being a bit higher gear dependent than a wizard. Tip.... make a female character and hang around EC tunnel you will get geared quickly. Then just transfer the items to your male character.!

^^ this

I prefer wood elf females or dark elf's with purple eyes. For some extra plat/gear i will take you behind shady and we will cyber. You have to be comfortable assuming the role of a bitch. I don't care if your a male or not in real life. In game your my pretty little elf girl. Look me in the eyes till i cum then i ll pamper you with plat for your main.

If you can make a human female monk and lvl to 17 with feign death. I ll triple it due to the fact you can "technically" lay down in game.

See you in ec fish.

Tecmos Deception
01-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Like Altari said, wizards generally tend to be shunned by groups. It's not that you can NEVER get a group, it's just that quite a few people would rather leave that 6th slot empty if they can't find a class that has better sustained damage. But that said, there is amazing potential for wizards in AE groups at 55+ (or at any level, really, if you are willing to organize it yourself). Fortunately wizards have awesome mobility, quadding is great xp if a bit slow and boring (but you can quad for nice xp while still doing something else irl while you med), and are absolutely great in raids.

Rangers are generally considered second-rate DPSers; they give up some raw damage potential of a rogue or a monk for some super-handy spells, like harmony, SoW, snare, root, invis, healing, and more (TRACKING!). Unfortunately they also have a hefty xp penalty. So groups looking for a DPS will tend to look for a rogue, monk, magician, or something like that instead of a ranger. In raids, rangers are definitely second-rate DPSers, since their utility doesn't really contribute in any way to killing a big nasty.

Enchanters are gods of solo, gods of grouping, gods in planar raids, and gods in boss raids. Boring in boss raids, to be sure, but still gods; no one wants to go kill a dragon without enchanter haste, c2, group magic resist, etc.

If it affects your decision, enchanters are pretty popular on the server (though there are 3-5 classes that are still more popular than enchanters), while rangers and wizards are 2 of the very least popular classes.

Lagaidh
01-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Hey guys,

Before I ever knew what EQ was my buddies were trying to get me to play in the early summer of 1999. I caved in to their constant blather about this new kind of RPG. They knew I was always a console RPG fan... Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy Tactics...

So they asked me, "What do you most like to do in RPGs?" I told them that I liked to fight physically, but that I wanted the ability to heal a bit.

They told me Paladin. I chose dwarf. That's all my main's ever been =)

TL;DR - What kinds of things do you enjoy being able to do in role playing games? If you match your answer(s) to that question to the class you chose, then you'll always have fun!

SamwiseRed
01-23-2013, 02:43 PM
ye i was happy when they added 2 handed bash in luclin as an AA. couldnt get my epic so it was really a blessing.

Froglok
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Make a dark elf enchanter and do the stein of moggok quest at level 8.

Raavak
01-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Wizards get Pillar of Fire at 16 but don't get ae snare until 29. So you can full-speed kite if you have jboots or sow, and some balls. Its pretty exciting, tbh, and never really got old.

ymw
01-23-2013, 02:53 PM
As a new player that went wizard, I can tell you that I've struggled into my teens without really getting into groups much. The occasional orc group would take me on, but I've spent a lot of time unloading my mana bar on a pair of blue/white con mobs and AFKing for 5 minutes.

That said, I've noticed people shying away from enchanters, as well, unless they're 16+.

Obviously, there's a lot of game to be played still, but if early struggles are a deterrent, worth noting.

Nagash
01-23-2013, 02:56 PM
If you only played a bit and didn't like the druid, I doubt you;ll like the wizard.

gotrocks
01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
^^ this

I prefer wood elf females or dark elf's with purple eyes. For some extra plat/gear i will take you behind shady and we will cyber. You have to be comfortable assuming the role of a bitch. I don't care if your a male or not in real life. In game your my pretty little elf girl. Look me in the eyes till i cum then i ll pamper you with plat for your main.

If you can make a human female monk and lvl to 17 with feign death. I ll triple it due to the fact you can "technically" lay down in game.

See you in ec fish.

holy shit silo 0_0

Glasken
01-23-2013, 08:05 PM
holy shit silo 0_0

What did we just read?

Slave
01-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Pretty hilarious response to Alarti's ridiculous advice.

Vladesch
01-24-2013, 04:10 AM
One thing people keep forgetting to mention is you need jboots to charm solo with enchanter. Either that or do it right next to a zoneline which is pretty impractical.
(I suppose sow potions are a possibility, or buying/begging sows)

So either have 5k to buy a MQ or be prepared to group till you're at least 35.

These days finding groups isn't too bad and I would prefer it to charm soloing anyway. (Tho depending on the group and your luck with charm breaking, soloing can be better xp)

Wizards are great soloers once you get snare. At higher levels you can quad kite for really fast xp.

Don't know much about rangers. My understanding is it is prohibitively expensive to solo with arrows. I would expect fear kiting animals is possible. The snare is useful in groups.

Tecmos Deception
01-24-2013, 07:13 AM
you need jboots to charm solo with enchanter.

No, you don't.

Are jboots nice to have when soloing an enchanter? Of course. But they aren't necessary even if you are doing all of your soloing outdoors. And when you are soloing in dungeons, where the action really is, you probably won't want to be gating/running out (and then back in) 4 times per hour to keep your jboots refreshed... especially when you often won't be able to train out of the dungeon regardless of whether you're moving 30% faster or not.

Kagatob
01-24-2013, 07:36 AM
I chose the classes that I play on P99 because they are classes that I haven't played on live or any other EMU server, otherwise I would have chozen Wizard in a heartbeat.

Best/easiest DPS in game (spend mana, kill mobs) + Teleportation (The nexus and PoK will never ever exist on P99) is a gigantic time saver, not to mention Evacuation is one of if not the best options to have in any dungeon situation.

To each their own of course, but I never got bored nuking the crap out of mobs for a living, sure it's not quite as dynamic as an enchanter or a druid/shaman, but I get sick of buffing people all day, I understand it's necessary and productive but it doesn't feel very proactive.

DarkNess
01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
still a bit torn on what to play >.>

I guess at this point whatever a good melee type that newbie friendly might do. Maybe a rogue?

Other then that,it looks like enchanter is a solid choice from the advice given here. thanks guys :)

I should probably add that a friend of mine is leveling a clerico n here,too. or would an enchanter compliment them rather well?

Alarti0001
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM

I guess at this point whatever a good melee type that newbie friendly might do. Maybe a rogue?

Other then that,it looks like enchanter is a solid choice from the advice given here. thanks guys :)

Monks are beastly but there are roughly 100,000 of them. Sk's can be a lot of fun and very powerful. Rogues are very group dependent but you probably wont have trouble getting a group.

falkun
01-24-2013, 12:17 PM
clr/enc is only second fiddle to dru/enc (due to the much larger utility tool-kit a dru can bring to bear). Clerics work great with other casters: the other caster PLs the cleric 99% of the time, but the cleric has heals/rezzes to keep the caster from losing hours worth of work at a time. And when the cleric has spare mana, he can be nuking/stunning to keep that exp bar moving.

Lagaidh
01-24-2013, 01:26 PM
ye i was happy when they added 2 handed bash in luclin as an AA. couldnt get my epic so it was really a blessing.

Good god same here! I did get my epic later on when it was trivial (3 man fear raid turn in hehe).

I also fixed my agility. I believed the EQ paperwork and thought CHA would actually help a paladin... welp... my little dwarf had 61 base charisma... and 73 agi.

That 73... man that bothered me until AAs.

I also loved the slay undead AAs. I never did land a five-digit hit! I wanted to- came close with some 9800+ hits. I still prize my 27k damage triple attack (double attack followed by a riposte) in which all three hits triggered slay undead. Veksar + Slay Undead = Paladin playground.

Invurnus
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
I played a ranger to 57 on live and currently have a 29 wizard on P1999. Of the two I think I prefer the ranger a bit. You have a pretty fun bag of tricks (which gets expanded considerably in Velious with Panic Animal) and I sort of miss the style aspects of the class (e.g. dual-wielding longswords). A wizard is a bit dull, so far a lot of root-parking which does get old, although on the plus side I can surf the web and be productive in between kills.

Also that hybrid XP penalty really seems to make a difference. Despite wizards generally not being great levelers, I feel like I'm moving at a noticeably better pace in P1999 than I did on live. That might favor the wizard or enchanter.

In terms of desirability, no question it's enchanter. But there's also a lot more pressure on an enchanter than a wizzie or ranger in most groups, IMO.

Resheph
01-24-2013, 02:04 PM
A wizard is a bit dull, so far a lot of root-parking which does get old, although on the plus side I can surf the web and be productive in between kills.

I work at home so am going to try to level mine that way. Work work work kill 5 mobs work work LOL

falkun
01-24-2013, 03:08 PM
(3 man fear raid turn in hehe)

To be fair, I've completed the FD turn-in with just 2 persons in Fear on a full pop (minus CT). If you ever need help turning in your FD here on a full fear pop, look me up.

Slave
01-24-2013, 10:58 PM
I would expect fear kiting animals is possible.

Later

Tecmos Deception
01-25-2013, 09:19 AM

I should probably add that a friend of mine is leveling a clerico n here,too. or would an enchanter compliment them rather well?

Well a bard isn't really a "melee" imo, their melee is just kind of supplemental to the all-important songs that they sing. But still, they swing two weapons and wear plate armor. If you'd like the awesome little tricks of bards (bardspeed, ae kiting, crazy resists), being generally misunderstood but great for groups, and having some crappy melee to boot... consider a bard maybe.

And yeah, cleric/enchanter is basically one of the 3 strongest combos imaginable on p99 right now.