PDA

View Full Version : dwarf cleric or dwarf paladin?

Duckforceone
01-27-2013, 06:02 AM
So i have almost narrowed my choices down from enchanter, cleric, paladin, warrior and druid.

It's down to between dwarf cleric or dwarf paladin.

Are paladins great group tanks on p99? (even though it seems they are extremely rare)
I know that they were awesome group tanks around luclin and pop, but can't remember if they were any good kunark and velious.

Is the server filled with clerics, so it's not too easy to find a group? or do even raid guilds still need clerics to fill the spots?

ahhh the ease of clerics healing + free unlimited beer, vs the high activity of a group tank...

input would be nice... :D though not neccessarily listened to.... :D

Silence
01-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Definately the beer class!

Heavydrop
01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Never enough clerics around at any level it seems.
Same goes for enchanters and tanks as well.
Not when or where they are really needed anyway.
Maybe its my screwy play schedule
Its been feast or famine that I've seen.
Not many Paladins around that I've seen

Hordes of Rogues and Monks and Rangers here (druids too)

Tecmos Deception
01-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Are paladins great group tanks on p99?

Is the server filled with clerics, so it's not too easy to find a group? or do even raid guilds still need clerics to fill the spots?

Yes, paladins are great group tanks on p99. They are now, and they will be during velious as well. Root, stuns, and even blind help give you great aggro control. Stuns make you into NPC caster's worst nightmare. Your paladin armor gives you some nice, mana-free effects. Your epic isn't too awfully hard. Etc.

I personally feel like there are not enough clerics on the server. But still, you don't automatically and instantly find a group every time you log a cleric in. Fortunately they are very capable for soloing undead up through the 40s, so you can always do that to fill the time when you're looking for more/looking for a group. Raid guilds are basically ALWAYS looking for more clerics.

Dark Team
01-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Why would you ever make a dwarf? They're ugly and not in a fun way like gnomes. Make an elf paladin, or elf/dark elf cleric.

Jafir
01-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Why would you ever make a dwarf? They're ugly and not in a fun way like gnomes. Make an elf paladin, or elf/dark elf cleric.

Why would you ever make an elf? They're ugly and not in a fun way like gnomes. Make a dwarf cleric.

See what I did there?

Dark Team
01-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Why would you ever make an elf? They're ugly and not in a fun way like gnomes. Make a dwarf cleric.

See what I did there?

Made a nonsensical statement? :P

Dwarves are just downright gross.

ArumTP
01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Hordes of Rogues and Monks and Rangers here (druids too)

I see what you did there

Duckforceone
01-27-2013, 12:43 PM

dwarf = barrel rolls
dwarf cleric = free unlimited beer + barrel rolls....

name any other race that has such a great combo...

Dark Team
01-27-2013, 12:53 PM
dwarf = barrel rolls
dwarf cleric = free unlimited beer + barrel rolls....

name any other race that has such a great combo...

Don't think free beer is in until Velious, and Brell gnomes get it as well. Dwarves getting the roll animation was always a bug, everyone knows that dwarves lack the agility and coordination to pull off such a feat.

Duckforceone
01-27-2013, 12:54 PM
if it's not, then i'm going necro or mage... :D

Duckforceone
01-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Don't think free beer is in until Velious, and Brell gnomes get it as well. Dwarves getting the roll animation was always a bug, everyone knows that dwarves lack the agility and coordination to pull off such a feat.

dang it.. you are right..

http://wiki.project1999.org/Brell_Serilis_Symbol_Quests

hmmmmm there goes the deciding factor for cleric....

Dark Team
01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9940&highlight=Disciple+Symbol+Brell+Serilis

Onshuu
01-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Heed my warning; make a cleric.

webrunner5
01-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Heed my warning; make a cleric.

He has a point. Paladins are the least played class on P1999 next to Rangers. Cleric's are like the 5th most played class. I think Druid, Monk, Necro, Shaman, Cleric in that order or close to it is the most played. But God knows we need a LOT more tanks on here so not the worse idea.

Lagaidh
01-28-2013, 01:59 PM
There is nothing more divine to Brell Serilis than his greatest creation: the dwarven paladin.

Folks can argue ability and group make up until our sun goes nova and it will not change the simple fact of nature that dwarven paladins are Norrath's perfect creations.

Ephirith
01-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Say what you will about class balance and such, comparatively few paladins ever make it past level 45 or so... for a variety of reasons.

Your mileage may vary, but a beef I personally had with playing a hybrid was the dreadful class balance in classic EQ. Yes, your agro is excellent, but a decent monk and warrior after 50 bring enough agro to function, just as much mitigation as you, 3-4x more dps, and except for an iksar monk, take a smaller share of the group's xp.

Autotune
01-28-2013, 03:19 PM
roll dwarf cleric

pretend to be dwarf paladin when you get bored of being a cleric.

Duckforceone
01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
well it became a dwarf cleric..

i'm now lvl 5, name's Tegar....

bb mountains sure is deadly... those krag chicks didn't used to be aggro, and bat's weren't social either...

now i just need to find a group that takes damage, so i can leech xp while healing... :D

Lagaidh
01-28-2013, 03:35 PM
roll dwarf cleric

pretend to be dwarf paladin when you get bored of being a cleric.

I run around with my mace and a board. I'm constantly mistaken for a cleric. You think the deepwater would give it away...

Autotune
01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
I run around with my mace and a board. I'm constantly mistaken for a cleric. You think the deepwater would give it away...

I've known a few dwarf clerics/paladins that have roleplayed as the other lol. It's funny and straight legit imo.

Lagaidh
01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
I've known a few dwarf clerics/paladins that have roleplayed as the other lol. It's funny and straight legit imo.

Hey we're all servants of the Underking =)

Here on p99, I think it's more due to folks remembering "Oh hey paladins have some form of xp rez too" from Live, but not remembering that paladins originally get revive at L49 (0%) and Resurrection at L59 (90%). Later on Sony broke that into many more sublevels that paladins also could cast: 30% 35% 40%...

I know when I began playing here I certainly had forgotten that paladins do not get a stun until L30! Gah! I'd gotten used to rerolling my pally in Live on other servers and having a stun by L9.

falkun
01-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Cease your erroneous thoughts.

God those spells were better aggro than FoL, dirt cheap mana-wise too.

Dirtnap
01-28-2013, 06:14 PM
I went /anon a few times on my cleric and played Paladin. Tanked too.

webrunner5
01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
I went /anon a few times on my cleric and played Paladin. Tanked too.

Heh, now thats Classic.