PDA

View Full Version : Discussing Artifacts and a Properly "Classic" Implementation Strategy

Frieza_Prexus
01-30-2013, 02:21 AM
Introduction

Despite the staff’s best efforts, some classic elements have yet to be successfully reproduced in a way that can fit comfortably within this server’s unique environment. One of these elements is the Artifact and its attendant GM event. The following is a discussion of the viability of how these items and events might be implemented and whether or not the server would prosper from their addition.

Some of these suggestions will be undeniably unclassic. The goal is to obtain very classic artifacts in an appropriate manner which itself may not be classic. Please try to avoid the one-liner of “Not classic.” It’s not witty or fresh on any level, and it is irksome to the grownups.

Why? Benefits and Arguments for Artifacts and GM Events

Artifacts are rare, highly desirable, and flat out neat. Well-run GM events are simply highly enjoyable and they add much flavor to the game. Also, they’re both about as classic as you get. Artifacts & Events (A&E), allow the server to come together, they give members of lower end guilds a chance to compete and obtain powerful items, and it provides a massive impetus to play. Finally, it’s classic.

Also, depending on how A&E’s are implemented, it might allow players to flex their creative muscles in helping design the events. Depending on how complex the events are, the players can help design and write the storyline. Contests could be held for certain design aspects and titles (temporary or permanent) might be handed out to particularly prolific or skilled event writes/coders.

Problems

Events crash zones. 200+ people show up and no one has any fun,
Butthurt: There’s only one artifact. Who gets it, and why? Live was full of favoritism stories.
Not Classic.
More work for the devs.
Disrupts normal server operations and play

Solutions and Fair Methods of Implementation

There’s a number of ways we can deal with the unfairness aspect of artifacts. The problem is mostly “How does the item get from the GMs to the players without claims of bias or event rigging?” Here are a few solutions:

1. GM Broadcasts: Everyone to EC we’re gonna random on XYZ Item. This is probably something to be avoided, but it’s an option.

2. Put the item on a random mob, XP or Raid. Possible, but way too random and it makes no sense. Why does the Chardok King suddenly have the Butcher Block Hammer?

3. Run the classic events and the GMs hand out the item exactly as it was on live. I wouldn’t want to be a GM on that one. I can imagine the flood of petitions the next day claiming unfairness.

4. Custom events tailored to last a set amount of time, advance a classic (or classically flavored) story, and built to allow inclusion for many players beyond those in the top two or three guilds. This is my favored solution. Any number of well-constructed entirely automated events can be created and implemented. They can be individual quests, or they can be done as a guild and you allow the guild that wins to determine the fairest way to hand out the item amongst its members.

5. Simple events: Hide and seek, scavenger hunt, trivia. I’m not sure we want to hand out artifacts this way, but again, it’s an option.

Conclusion

Artifacts and Events are extremely classic. I believe that a fair method exists for their implementation and distribution, and that it can be done in an exciting and highly inclusive way. It is my hope that the community can begin a productive dialogue on this concept. Below is my example submission as to how an event might work.

EXAMPLE SCRIPTED ADVENTURE

Below is an example event that I have thrown together to illustrate how these principles might be executed. The event is built in such a way that ANY guild with a capable raid force should be able to properly execute the event. This will be a race, and so the actual steps and secrets of the event should, obviously, be a GM secret. The final reward will be given to whomever hands in a simple droppable token that will be given to/looted by the guild leader to award at the leadership’s discretion. Also, failure at various stages might result in a guild having to start all over.

NOTE: I am not a writer. I threw this together fairly quickly, and I suffer no delusions that I am some kind of master word-smith.

Preface: 24 hours before the event begins, the skies over Western Antonica and Odus turn red indicating something is amiss above. 24 hours later, all clients logged in experience the “earthquake” effect that Rogean has demonstrated from time to time. Several meteors have crashed with enough force to send out perceptible shockwaves.

24 hours prior to the crash, Boulder-Granite, Earth Elemental Champion of Brell (He uses a really nice looking model, possibly something from Plane of Earth), lead the armies of Underfoot into a series of battle with the armies of Veeshan. As the battle raged, both armies found themselves taking incalculable losses. Seeking a decisive end, Boulder-Granite charged headlong into the Veeshanite forces lead by the Fist of Veeshan (uses a giant efreeti model of some sort).

The outer planes rang with cacophonic fury as the titans mauled each other in elemental fury. But again, both sides stood locked in a seemingly eternal stalemate, that is until…Boulder-Granite saw the slightest of openings in his foe’s guard, and he channeled all of his might into a single resound blow that will each across the realities for eons.

However, the victory was not without cost. The furious blow sent Boulder-Granite crashing and careening through the heavens until he landed upon a small island. He was mortally wounded, but worse yet, his holy hammer had been sundered: shattered upon the countenance of Veeshan’s fist. Soon, the forces of Veeshan would rally, and enraged wyrms would pour from the sky with murderous fury to avenge the defeat of Veeshan’s fist.

Synopsis: After Boulder-Granite crashes to the ground, the Player Characters (PCs), stumble upon his dying form in the crater on Erud’s Crossing. Boulder-Granite only speaks elemental (is that a language? If not, dwarven or something). If hailed he simply groans. If hailed by a gnome or dwarf paladin or cleric of Brell, he responds with a brief version of the preface story. He states that enraged Veeshanite terrors will scour the land looking for him and that many mortals will perish if they are not stopped. This triggers ENCOUNTER 1.

ENCOUNTER 1 – Ring Style Event / Defend the NPC

A wounded Boulder-Granite tells the PCs of the impending invasion. Several wyverns then spawn and head directly for the wounded elemental. A group of 18-24 raiders should be sufficient to prevent the wyverns from reaching and killing Boulder-Granite. After several waves of Veeshanite forces are defeated (possibly culminating in a boss mob: Over Seer of Air maybe?), Boulder-Granite asks that he be taken to the High-Priest of Brell in Kaladim. Using a yet-to-be-defined mechanic, Boulder-Granite becomes an inventory item weighing 500 lbs. and he cannot be put into any bags. The trips to Kaladim leads to ENCOUNTER 2.

ENCOUNTER 2 – Ambush Event

As the PC carrying Boulder-Granite makes his way to Kaladim, he will be attacked along the way. Using another yet-to-be-defined mechanic, the PCs must carry Boulder-Granite’s wounded body to Kaladim without dying to any ambushes. (Teleporting with him in your inventory would be too “stressful” and kill him.)

Using this yet-to-be-fully-defined mechanic, the PCs are ambushed in several zones. Every time the player carrying Boulder-Granite enters a new zone, there is a % chance for a small army of NPCs to spawn across the zone. All spawned NPCs are given a certain amount of aggro on the carrying player, and head straight for him. If the carrying player dies, Boulder-Granite is killed and all players wearing that guild tag, must wait at least 3 hours before trying the event again. (This can be GM enforced if necessary. The point is to keep the lanes open like scheduling a round on a golf course so as to allow more people a shot at the event)

Once the PC’s reach Kaladim, they can hail the cleric guild master who, after being given Boulder-Granite, will heal him and have a brief conversation about the situation. Boulder-Granite will announce that if the mortal realm is to have any hope, that his hammer must be reforged. The hammer head fractured into four pieces, and the hilt was destroyed. He knows not where they landed, and the hilt must be remade by a team of master craftsmen blessed by Brell.

ENCOUNTER 3 – The Re-Forging of the Hammer

This part has five sections. The hammer head pieces must be found, and a new hilt must be forged.

Head Piece 1: The first shard of the hammer head has fallen to the ground in a random zone. I don’t know if a model other than a little bag can be used, but this will be a grand scavenger hunt. The hammer shard can randomly spawn in any zone, or it can be given a specific location or several locations with only one shard in existence at any time. This is a scavenger hunt pure and simple. (Note, I’m sure the staff is already on it, but this might be an opportunity to spawn some dummy items to catch the SEQ/MQ cheaters).

Head Piece 2: This piece has fallen to the earth and is now in possession of the queen of chardok whose powers have been greatly augmented by siphoning off the shard’s magic. In short, Queen Velazul Di`Zok gains several times more hit points, hits harder, and is even nastier. This is a full-blown raid event.

Head Piece 3: This is another kill/recovery. My first thought is to give the shard to Phinigel and give him the Queen Velazul treatment to buff him. However, we may want to move the shard to a mob with a faster respawn, say how about the guild leader of the wizards guild in Erudin who has gone mad with power from the shard and summons wizards during the fight to assist him. We could do a nice ring style event with a PoP style boss fight, and throw in some decent loot.

Head Piece 4: Quest! Not sure what I’d want for the quest, it can’t be too long or hard, and it has to remain accessible to all raid-capable guilds. I’m thinking a little kid has it and was augmented, and she won’t give it up without some kind of quest. It should be soloable, maybe a rare drop or two involved, the point is the quest requirements need to be structured to reward critical thinking.

The Hilt: The master craftsmen of Akanon have prayed to Brell for insight, and the Dwarven high priest sends the PCs to speak with the craftsmen. Long story short, the gnomes give the PCs the recipe and the hilt crafting should make use of numerous tradeskills with some hellishly difficult combines that are still easy enough to farm in mass quantity. Think Coldain Shawl #5 or 6 with all those damned biles and silks.

ENCOUNTER 4 – Advancing the Plot

After the PC’s have gathered the shards and crafted the hilt, Boulder-Granite (who again, now resides in Kaladim and is spawned by some yet-to-be-defined mechanic that gives players the “correct” version of the NPC) will speak. He tries to get up to wield the hammer, but he is dying. The recipe was followed, the hammer reforged the help of the master gnome smiths, but he just can’t make it go. Boulder-Granite tells the PCs that they are the last hope to stop the pillaging forces of Veeshan who want to avenge the defeat of the Fist of Veeshan. Boulder-Granite sacrifices himself and gives the PCs his heart which is a container that holds the hammer. He tells the PCs that only the essence of the Fist of Veeshan combined with his own essence will complete the enchantment, for it is the fist who took its power, so the power must be taken back from him and reunited to Boulder-Granite’s power. When Boulder-Granite sacrifices himself, another “earthquake” effect is triggered. The High-Priest of Brell shouts that he has had a vision and that the wyrms have arrived on the fields of West Karana.

ENCOUNTER 5 – Ring War in the Karanas

This one is for all the marbles. The High Priest of Brell gives the PCs an item that if clicked will summon him and trigger the event in West Karana. Much like the Coldain Ring War, there is a central defense point, in this case, the zone to Qeynos Hills. As the event begins, hundreds of Karana farmers and civilians pour into the QH zone line. The PCs must defeat the marauding Veeshan forces. If they reach the QH zone, just like in the Coldain war, the event ends. This may or may not cause the failing guild to start the quest over. It depends on the dev or writes it in and how evil he is feeling.

The fight consists of several waves. Several named mobs roam the karanas and kill the farmers, kind of like the Kromzek Spear Throwers in the coldain ring war. Killing the roaming mobs lessens the difficult of the future waves.

Wave 1: Wyverns, and drakes
Wave 2: Lots and lots of Wurms with a few named lieutenants (fearing/dispelling/AEing wurms and smaller dragons)
Wave 3: Severilious and Talendor both arrive having been summoned to aid the forces of Veeshan. Both mobs are linked and will stay within a certain distance of each other at all times. This means that the raiders will need PR, FR, and MR for a hell of a hard fight. The AE frequency can be reduced to control the difficulty, and the mobs can be given more HP to make the fight more difficult.
Wave 4: The Fist of Veeshan – This thing is on par with Derakor the Vindicator or maybe the statute or Rallos Zek. When killed it drops the “Essence of Veeshan” which is used to combine the unfinished hammer inside the heart/container Boulder-Granite gave the PC’s. The result is a droppable hammer, that the High Priest of Brell requests to inspect and pray over. The guild’s leadership then gives the hammer to a deserving recipient within the guild who hands it to the high priest. The high priests blesses it and hands it back.

The recipient now wields The Butcherblock Hammer and is forevermore known as the Champion of Brell.

Slave
01-30-2013, 02:35 AM
If only we had a single GM with the imagination, temperament, and experience necessary to run events anywhere near this magnitude of importance.

Metallikus
01-30-2013, 02:44 AM
oh and a gm with non affiliation with guilds on the server as to not completely cater to favortism...we dont need more events where a gm gives a tmo mage a pre nerf fungi staff for no apparent reason or load up with blackburrow a bunch of classic removed items for a group of IB.

Handull
01-30-2013, 02:54 AM
Pretty cool post/idea. How many such artifact GM events were there on live?

I see a few potential problems with the event you laid out, but obviously that's just a concept outline and not a finished product. Its too bad someone with the knowledge of how to code such an event couldn't just team up with someone who is heavy on lore knowledge to make such an event and then have it approved by rog/nil/sirk/ephi, but this would probably lead to one guild knowing the encounters/quests before the event itself.

We can dream tho!

Autotune
01-30-2013, 05:50 AM
should just make it a quest that can only be completed once and don't tell anyone how to do it and just announce that their is a quest blah blah whatever.

that way, nilbog can implement it and no GM will really know anything about it.

Autotune
01-30-2013, 05:51 AM
oh and a gm with non affiliation with guilds on the server as to not completely cater to favortism...we dont need more events where a gm gives a tmo mage a pre nerf fungi staff for no apparent reason or load up with blackburrow a bunch of classic removed items for a group of IB.

btw, seeing this in every thread from this guy is getting old. Can you just nuke his forum account and in-game account?

oddibemcd
01-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Huh, never knew about the butcherblock hammer. The whole time I was thinking it was just an OT hammer that took you to BB. Seemed like a lot of work to not have to bug a druid.

funhorroryes
01-30-2013, 08:47 AM
make them newb oriantated newb events like troll or gnome race

falkun
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
It sounds like you are basically asking for the coldain shawl and ring war quests to be combined for a single reward that will only be seen once-ish on this server. The devs, in implementing Velious, are already hard at work coding the shawl and ring quests. Personally, I'd like to see the devs focus on getting the real quests implemented before they start implementing bastardized versions for one-off items. Let this item/event be something post-Velious, not between the two. There's really nothing after Velious planned for this server anyways, but we already have things to do through the Velious timeline.

As for your specific event:
Event 2 (Random ambushes): Avoid tight zones for these. No ambushes in High Pass Hold, Beholder's maze (if they go that route), etc. where fatties can block the entire rest of the raid during the ambush.

Event 3 - Headpiece 3: Completely unclassic raid mechanic, but so standard in today's MMO environment. Personally, I can't believe it took EQ/WoW devs that long to develop the mechanic and I really like it, but its completely out of scope of classic raid mechanics.

Event 3 - Headpiece 4: Add possible drops in different zones so it is more difficult for a single entity to monopolize the drop. Think something to dissuade TMO from perma-camping CoS again (not to bash TMO, but its the best example in existence of camp-hogging).

Event 4 - Wave 3: Here is where your "make it accessible to all" falls apart. Few guilds have resists stacked like that, TMO being the most likely, followed by FE with BDA sadly back even farther. You'd need to nerf the event too much for TMO to enjoy it if you make it accessible to Full Circle or other "just-planar" guilds.

Now, instead of being completely negative, I'll provide my own ideas...

The Discovery of Velious

The Gnomish astronomers of Ak'Anon have determined the mass of Norrath is greater than the current amount of known land-mass would indicate. Thus, they have deduced there is either EXTREMELY dense material deep within Norrath, or there exists undiscovered continent(s). They have formed an exploratory committee to investigate these claims.

Event 1 - The Investigation
The Hunt for a new continent
Think of this like the WoW Gates of Ahn'Qiraj. The players fan out to the far beaches of Norrath searching for evidence of another continent. On the beaches of Butcherblock, Qeynos, the Deserts of Ro, the Oasis, Toxxulia Forest, the Overthere, Warsilks Woods, the Field of Bone, and Firiona Vie (and any I may be missing), players may find chunks of ice that won't melt (Velium fragments). Gnomish researchers have been dispatched to strategically important sites (read: accessible to L1-15 charaters) to collect these fragments for study. For their troubles, low level characters will be rewarded with lightstones (chance for greater lightstones as incentive) so they may continue their searches at night.

To the depths of Norrath!
The Gnomish exploratory committee needs to determine the existence of super-dense material on Norrath to account for additional mass. They have dispatched players to investigate the deepest recesses of Norrath: The Hole, The mines of Nurga and Droga, the depths of the mountains of High Pass (HighKeep goblin area), Runnyeye, and the depths of Kaladim and Ak'Anon (and any other mines I may be missing). By killing creatures in these recesses, players discover "notes of mining progress" that do not reveal any new, super-dense material. Players return these notes to Gnomish researchers stationed at wizard spires for level appropriate-spells (with lower chances for research-only or high-ticket spells depending on the level of the turn-in. No, I do not expect killing a rat in Kaladim's mines to yield Torpor, but a note off Yael might).

Once a significant amount of evidence for a new continent and against the dense material theory has been collected, Event 1 concludes with the Gnomish exploratory committee determines a new continent must exist and the quest to find it can commence.

Event 2 - Preparing the Expedition
Gather resources
The Gnomish exploratory committee will need to manufacture a ship to explore the oceans of Norrath for this new continent. The shipyards of the Overthere Outpost, Butcherblock, and Qeynos have been commissioned to collect the materials for the Icebreaker.
1. They will need wood from the forests of Norrath (Gfay, Lfay, Kith, Toxx, Nektolus, Warsilks and BW).
2. They will require metal from the mines of Norrath (already outlined in Event 1).
3. They will require magic from the magicians, wizards, and necromancers of Norrath to power their vessel (drops from named mobs in Mistmoore, Beholder's Maze, Najena, Nagafen's Lair, Permafrost, and Sebilis).
4. They will require food stuffs and sturdy drink for the Voyage (baking and brewing tradeskills).

Turning items in should result in level-appropriate rewards, and newbies to max-level players can go to level-appropriate locations listed and farm items. With the materials gathered, the Gnomish exploratory committee determines the Northern Desert of Ro as the location to launch their expedition for the new continent.

Event 3 - Protecting the Expedition
Vast quantities of materials are coming in from all over Norrath to the once-peaceful shores of Ro and the constant ruckus at the new dock has angered the Sand Giants. Their commander, Cazel, has declared war on the Gnomish exploratory committee. It will take a raid force to stop the waves of Sand Giants and finally Cazel himself from destroying the new expedition location. Here is your Ring war Xasten. It culminates with a beefy Cazel charging the raid after waves of Sand Giants have fallen to the players. Extra items are rewarded for protecting special members of the expedition.

Event 4 - Establishing the Beachhead
With the expedition safe, the Icebreaker may leave Northern Ro and the players are able to enter Velious. However, they cannot get to the main continent yet because the dragons of Veeshan do not want these interlopers on the shores of their continent (read: you cannot zone from Iceclad to Eastern Wastes). Advanced scouts from the Coldain and Kromrif have also spotted the Icebreaker as it makes landfall on the eastern edge of the archipelago of Iceclad Ocean. Guild leaders and officers ONLY will be able to speak with representatives of the Velious factions to initiate an event for their raid force/guild:

Coldain
This is the "lowest level event". Coldain scout forces have been repeatedly ambushed by Ry'gorr orc raiding bands. A force averaging 3 groups L40-45 will enjoy this "ring-style" encounter culminating in defeating the Ry'gorr chieftain and the oracles he calls to his aid. All participating members will then receive a small boost to their Coldain faction, giving them a jump on that faction grind.

Kromrif
This is one of two "high level events". The Kromrif raiding party encountered has been hunting a dragon terrorizing their eastern flank. A force averaging 4 groups L50-55 will enjoy re-taking individual islands in Iceclad as waves of dragonkin (drakelings, wurms, wyverns) assault their captured islands. The force will hop from island to island, defeating a wave or two of increasingly difficult wurms. They cannot leave the island they are on, they must defend a location/NPC on the island, and when successful they will move to the next island, pushing the dragons westard. While fighting the dragonkin, the main dragon will unleash AE on the portions of the tiny island that are best avoided rather than healed-through. When they reach the end, they will fight the main dragon. Loot incentives for keeping the NPC that must be defended healthier (50% thresholds maybe?), meaning heals diverted to NPC from PCs might be the way to win. All participating members will then receive a small boost to their Kromrif/Kromzek faction, giving them a jump on that faction grind. (Think scowling to threatening or possibly not even that much).

Skyshrine
This is the second of two "high level events". The dragons preventing your access to Velious have seen your prowess, and would rather befriend you than have your allegiance go to another faction. A force averaging 6-7 groups of L60 will enjoy this encounter. The dragons have an injured elder on the far western island of the zone, and the Kromzek are planning to slay her before she can recuperate. It is the raid's duty to heal the elder dragon while defending her from the Kromzek hunting party. The Kromzek get progressively more difficult as she nears full health, culminating in a Statue of War type encounter when she reaches full health (think Avatar of War spawning on Statue, or bee boss in Sky). If the raid force is taking too long to heal the elder dragon, an elite Kromzek team will most likely wipe the entire force out, forcing them to start over. Loot incentives for how quickly the elder dragon reaches full health. All participating members will then receive a small boost to their Skyshrine faction, giving them a jump on that faction grind. (Think scowling to threatening or possibly not even that much).

ONE of these events MUST be completed to completely unlock Velious and allow players to zone into Eastern Wastes. All encounters are in different locations in Iceclad so one of each may be in progress at the same time. After the initial one is completed, all players may access Velious but the encounters will remain active for a short period (think TD binding long) so other guilds may get a faction jump-start and a one-time loot boost. No guild may complete an encounter twice, but they can complete the other two encounters.

Lagaidh
01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
These are great ideas. I so wish a company with capital could mine these ideas.

Froglok
01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Introduction

Despite the staff’s best efforts, some classic elements have yet to be successfully reproduced in a way that can fit comfortably within this server’s unique environment. One of these elements is the Artifact and its attendant GM event. The following is a discussion of the viability of how these items and events might be implemented and whether or not the server would prosper from their addition.

Some of these suggestions will be undeniably unclassic. The goal is to obtain very classic artifacts in an appropriate manner which itself may not be classic. Please try to avoid the one-liner of “Not classic.” It’s not witty or fresh on any level, and it is irksome to the grownups.

Why? Benefits and Arguments for Artifacts and GM Events

Artifacts are rare, highly desirable, and flat out neat. Well-run GM events are simply highly enjoyable and they add much flavor to the game. Also, they’re both about as classic as you get. Artifacts & Events (A&E), allow the server to come together, they give members of lower end guilds a chance to compete and obtain powerful items, and it provides a massive impetus to play. Finally, it’s classic.

Also, depending on how A&E’s are implemented, it might allow players to flex their creative muscles in helping design the events. Depending on how complex the events are, the players can help design and write the storyline. Contests could be held for certain design aspects and titles (temporary or permanent) might be handed out to particularly prolific or skilled event writes/coders.

Problems

Events crash zones. 200+ people show up and no one has any fun,
Butthurt: There’s only one artifact. Who gets it, and why? Live was full of favoritism stories.
Not Classic.
More work for the devs.
Disrupts normal server operations and play

Solutions and Fair Methods of Implementation

There’s a number of ways we can deal with the unfairness aspect of artifacts. The problem is mostly “How does the item get from the GMs to the players without claims of bias or event rigging?” Here are a few solutions:

1. GM Broadcasts: Everyone to EC we’re gonna random on XYZ Item. This is probably something to be avoided, but it’s an option.

2. Put the item on a random mob, XP or Raid. Possible, but way too random and it makes no sense. Why does the Chardok King suddenly have the Butcher Block Hammer?

3. Run the classic events and the GMs hand out the item exactly as it was on live. I wouldn’t want to be a GM on that one. I can imagine the flood of petitions the next day claiming unfairness.

4. Custom events tailored to last a set amount of time, advance a classic (or classically flavored) story, and built to allow inclusion for many players beyond those in the top two or three guilds. This is my favored solution. Any number of well-constructed entirely automated events can be created and implemented. They can be individual quests, or they can be done as a guild and you allow the guild that wins to determine the fairest way to hand out the item amongst its members.

5. Simple events: Hide and seek, scavenger hunt, trivia. I’m not sure we want to hand out artifacts this way, but again, it’s an option.

Conclusion

Artifacts and Events are extremely classic. I believe that a fair method exists for their implementation and distribution, and that it can be done in an exciting and highly inclusive way. It is my hope that the community can begin a productive dialogue on this concept. Below is my example submission as to how an event might work.

EXAMPLE SCRIPTED ADVENTURE

Below is an example event that I have thrown together to illustrate how these principles might be executed. The event is built in such a way that ANY guild with a capable raid force should be able to properly execute the event. This will be a race, and so the actual steps and secrets of the event should, obviously, be a GM secret. The final reward will be given to whomever hands in a simple droppable token that will be given to/looted by the guild leader to award at the leadership’s discretion. Also, failure at various stages might result in a guild having to start all over.

NOTE: I am not a writer. I threw this together fairly quickly, and I suffer no delusions that I am some kind of master word-smith.

Preface: 24 hours before the event begins, the skies over Western Antonica and Odus turn red indicating something is amiss above. 24 hours later, all clients logged in experience the “earthquake” effect that Rogean has demonstrated from time to time. Several meteors have crashed with enough force to send out perceptible shockwaves.

24 hours prior to the crash, Boulder-Granite, Earth Elemental Champion of Brell (He uses a really nice looking model, possibly something from Plane of Earth), lead the armies of Underfoot into a series of battle with the armies of Veeshan. As the battle raged, both armies found themselves taking incalculable losses. Seeking a decisive end, Boulder-Granite charged headlong into the Veeshanite forces lead by the Fist of Veeshan (uses a giant efreeti model of some sort).

The outer planes rang with cacophonic fury as the titans mauled each other in elemental fury. But again, both sides stood locked in a seemingly eternal stalemate, that is until…Boulder-Granite saw the slightest of openings in his foe’s guard, and he channeled all of his might into a single resound blow that will each across the realities for eons.

However, the victory was not without cost. The furious blow sent Boulder-Granite crashing and careening through the heavens until he landed upon a small island. He was mortally wounded, but worse yet, his holy hammer had been sundered: shattered upon the countenance of Veeshan’s fist. Soon, the forces of Veeshan would rally, and enraged wyrms would pour from the sky with murderous fury to avenge the defeat of Veeshan’s fist.

Synopsis: After Boulder-Granite crashes to the ground, the Player Characters (PCs), stumble upon his dying form in the crater on Erud’s Crossing. Boulder-Granite only speaks elemental (is that a language? If not, dwarven or something). If hailed he simply groans. If hailed by a gnome or dwarf paladin or cleric of Brell, he responds with a brief version of the preface story. He states that enraged Veeshanite terrors will scour the land looking for him and that many mortals will perish if they are not stopped. This triggers ENCOUNTER 1.

ENCOUNTER 1 – Ring Style Event / Defend the NPC

A wounded Boulder-Granite tells the PCs of the impending invasion. Several wyverns then spawn and head directly for the wounded elemental. A group of 18-24 raiders should be sufficient to prevent the wyverns from reaching and killing Boulder-Granite. After several waves of Veeshanite forces are defeated (possibly culminating in a boss mob: Over Seer of Air maybe?), Boulder-Granite asks that he be taken to the High-Priest of Brell in Kaladim. Using a yet-to-be-defined mechanic, Boulder-Granite becomes an inventory item weighing 500 lbs. and he cannot be put into any bags. The trips to Kaladim leads to ENCOUNTER 2.

ENCOUNTER 2 – Ambush Event

As the PC carrying Boulder-Granite makes his way to Kaladim, he will be attacked along the way. Using another yet-to-be-defined mechanic, the PCs must carry Boulder-Granite’s wounded body to Kaladim without dying to any ambushes. (Teleporting with him in your inventory would be too “stressful” and kill him.)

Using this yet-to-be-fully-defined mechanic, the PCs are ambushed in several zones. Every time the player carrying Boulder-Granite enters a new zone, there is a % chance for a small army of NPCs to spawn across the zone. All spawned NPCs are given a certain amount of aggro on the carrying player, and head straight for him. If the carrying player dies, Boulder-Granite is killed and all players wearing that guild tag, must wait at least 3 hours before trying the event again. (This can be GM enforced if necessary. The point is to keep the lanes open like scheduling a round on a golf course so as to allow more people a shot at the event)

Once the PC’s reach Kaladim, they can hail the cleric guild master who, after being given Boulder-Granite, will heal him and have a brief conversation about the situation. Boulder-Granite will announce that if the mortal realm is to have any hope, that his hammer must be reforged. The hammer head fractured into four pieces, and the hilt was destroyed. He knows not where they landed, and the hilt must be remade by a team of master craftsmen blessed by Brell.

ENCOUNTER 3 – The Re-Forging of the Hammer

This part has five sections. The hammer head pieces must be found, and a new hilt must be forged.

Head Piece 1: The first shard of the hammer head has fallen to the ground in a random zone. I don’t know if a model other than a little bag can be used, but this will be a grand scavenger hunt. The hammer shard can randomly spawn in any zone, or it can be given a specific location or several locations with only one shard in existence at any time. This is a scavenger hunt pure and simple. (Note, I’m sure the staff is already on it, but this might be an opportunity to spawn some dummy items to catch the SEQ/MQ cheaters).

Head Piece 2: This piece has fallen to the earth and is now in possession of the queen of chardok whose powers have been greatly augmented by siphoning off the shard’s magic. In short, Queen Velazul Di`Zok gains several times more hit points, hits harder, and is even nastier. This is a full-blown raid event.

Head Piece 3: This is another kill/recovery. My first thought is to give the shard to Phinigel and give him the Queen Velazul treatment to buff him. However, we may want to move the shard to a mob with a faster respawn, say how about the guild leader of the wizards guild in Erudin who has gone mad with power from the shard and summons wizards during the fight to assist him. We could do a nice ring style event with a PoP style boss fight, and throw in some decent loot.

Head Piece 4: Quest! Not sure what I’d want for the quest, it can’t be too long or hard, and it has to remain accessible to all raid-capable guilds. I’m thinking a little kid has it and was augmented, and she won’t give it up without some kind of quest. It should be soloable, maybe a rare drop or two involved, the point is the quest requirements need to be structured to reward critical thinking.

The Hilt: The master craftsmen of Akanon have prayed to Brell for insight, and the Dwarven high priest sends the PCs to speak with the craftsmen. Long story short, the gnomes give the PCs the recipe and the hilt crafting should make use of numerous tradeskills with some hellishly difficult combines that are still easy enough to farm in mass quantity. Think Coldain Shawl #5 or 6 with all those damned biles and silks.

ENCOUNTER 4 – Advancing the Plot

After the PC’s have gathered the shards and crafted the hilt, Boulder-Granite (who again, now resides in Kaladim and is spawned by some yet-to-be-defined mechanic that gives players the “correct” version of the NPC) will speak. He tries to get up to wield the hammer, but he is dying. The recipe was followed, the hammer reforged the help of the master gnome smiths, but he just can’t make it go. Boulder-Granite tells the PCs that they are the last hope to stop the pillaging forces of Veeshan who want to avenge the defeat of the Fist of Veeshan. Boulder-Granite sacrifices himself and gives the PCs his heart which is a container that holds the hammer. He tells the PCs that only the essence of the Fist of Veeshan combined with his own essence will complete the enchantment, for it is the fist who took its power, so the power must be taken back from him and reunited to Boulder-Granite’s power. When Boulder-Granite sacrifices himself, another “earthquake” effect is triggered. The High-Priest of Brell shouts that he has had a vision and that the wyrms have arrived on the fields of West Karana.

ENCOUNTER 5 – Ring War in the Karanas

This one is for all the marbles. The High Priest of Brell gives the PCs an item that if clicked will summon him and trigger the event in West Karana. Much like the Coldain Ring War, there is a central defense point, in this case, the zone to Qeynos Hills. As the event begins, hundreds of Karana farmers and civilians pour into the QH zone line. The PCs must defeat the marauding Veeshan forces. If they reach the QH zone, just like in the Coldain war, the event ends. This may or may not cause the failing guild to start the quest over. It depends on the dev or writes it in and how evil he is feeling.

The fight consists of several waves. Several named mobs roam the karanas and kill the farmers, kind of like the Kromzek Spear Throwers in the coldain ring war. Killing the roaming mobs lessens the difficult of the future waves.

Wave 1: Wyverns, and drakes
Wave 2: Lots and lots of Wurms with a few named lieutenants (fearing/dispelling/AEing wurms and smaller dragons)
Wave 3: Severilious and Talendor both arrive having been summoned to aid the forces of Veeshan. Both mobs are linked and will stay within a certain distance of each other at all times. This means that the raiders will need PR, FR, and MR for a hell of a hard fight. The AE frequency can be reduced to control the difficulty, and the mobs can be given more HP to make the fight more difficult.
Wave 4: The Fist of Veeshan – This thing is on par with Derakor the Vindicator or maybe the statute or Rallos Zek. When killed it drops the “Essence of Veeshan” which is used to combine the unfinished hammer inside the heart/container Boulder-Granite gave the PC’s. The result is a droppable hammer, that the High Priest of Brell requests to inspect and pray over. The guild’s leadership then gives the hammer to a deserving recipient within the guild who hands it to the high priest. The high priests blesses it and hands it back.

The recipient now wields The Butcherblock Hammer and is forevermore known as the Champion of Brell.

cool idea, this would be fun

Ele
01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
The Butcherblock Hammer
"The Relic of Brell Serilis"
http://i.imgur.com/qHxcHH9.png

Shield of Hatred
"Bloody Kithicor"
http://i.imgur.com/4fUSPnR.png

Oakwynd
"The Demise of Ghargin Dumblock" - Happened following the kidnapping and rescue of Firiona Vie after launch of Ruins of Kunark. The item lore identifies as "bow passed down by the Oakwynd family" in reference to the end of the event in which the troll Ghargin Dumblock was slain by Lyirae Oakwynd with the bow, avening the death of her twin brother Loriysn.
http://i.imgur.com/3zWmJUL.png

Shrouds of Earthen Shadow
Opening of the Hole "The Hole Uncovered"
http://i.imgur.com/XtQeA6n.png

The Prime Healer's Bulwark
"Cleansing of the Karanas"
http://i.imgur.com/4lK7Hs9.png

Crystal Claw of Veeshan
"Rending the Veil"
http://i.imgur.com/2B2L6P5.png

The Qeynos Shield
"Strangers in Qeynos"
http://i.imgur.com/BH1oSiY.png

Malevolence
"Child of Hate" - Awarded by Innoruuk to the deliverer of the ring of the Child of Hate to Dorvias N'Keth in the events surrounding the burial of Lanys T'vyl (included the title "the Malevolent").
http://zam.zamimg.com/images/0/d/0db1c8a863f3fc9446124b97008804b5.png

Scepter of Al'Kabor
http://zam.zamimg.com/images/5/e/5e305651ecef3215e892121d1408a1b4.png

Skull Mask of Innervation
http://zam.zamimg.com/images/a/0/a0d5df5109fdcccf45bb3fe638b0399a.png

Metallikus
01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
btw, seeing this in every thread from this guy is getting old. Can you just nuke his forum account and in-game account?

Maybe when the devs actually start doing half of what they intend. I see no reason playing a game that hasn't changed in months.

Raid scene still boring and uninteresting [x]
GMs still shady as hell and make irrational decisions on regular basis [x]
Promises by staff that never go anywhere [x]
Number of people that are chill and don't take RnF serious steadily leaving the server [x]
Velious still no where in sight [x]
Odds of doing something other than logging in and having fun still zero [x]

Alarti0001
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Howver, I like Xasten's ideas. Provided we have like 4 more active devs/gms

Autotune
01-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Oh, you dug up one post where I talk about the staff, your point?

Metallikus
01-30-2013, 12:54 PM
hypocrite...anyways, i only voice truths so that history isnt repeated. unfortunately the server history is riddled with corrupt former gms.

Itap
01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Howver, I like Xasten's ideas. Provided we have like 4 more active devs/gms

Havent seen any updates after the influx of guide applications they most likely received in the past month /shrug

Alarti0001
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
hypocrite...anyways, i only voice truths so that history isnt repeated.

LOL perhaps the biggest tinhat in the community only voices truths. Ya and those Jello Shots are really going to take you to the mothership.

Autotune
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
hypocrite...anyways, i only voice truths so that history isnt repeated. unfortunately the server history is riddled with corrupt former gms.

history.

we don't need a lesson in it.

Silo69
01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
why dont we let them tend to more important matters like fixing bards, bugs, working on vel than gifting out a few random god loots to show eq users....

stupid idea is stupid

sounds like you kids are getting bored this is an emu not a fully staffed developed server pls go

skipdog
01-30-2013, 01:43 PM
I would personally rather let the devs spend their time on velious development and any other live issues.

Yes, this would be neat... but very few would actually see it or care much(out of the total server population). The devs are unpaid volunteers and we should just be thankful for every bit of work they have done.... not ask them to do more work when Velious isn't ready.

Frieza_Prexus
01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
why dont we let them tend to more important matters like fixing bards, bugs, working on vel than gifting out a few random god loots to show eq users....

stupid idea is stupid

sounds like you kids are getting bored this is an emu not a fully staffed developed server pls go

I have addressed this point in the body of my initial post.

the players can help design and write the storyline. Contests could be held for certain design aspects and titles (temporary or permanent) might be handed out to particularly prolific or skilled event writes/coders.

Yes, this might take time from devs that are otherwise occupied with Velious. Or, it might not. There are project bottleneck and what if a particular dev is idle? Or, what if one just really really wants to work on this event? Some people do enjoy variety in their work.

The point is that this is not impossible, and it is, in my opinion, a vital classic element that demands implementation.

Metallikus
01-30-2013, 05:07 PM
you hacks are getting ridiculous:

You have been denied access to this forum. The reason is that you are visiting us from a place that has been blacklisted as an Open Proxy. You have to fix this, and return.

If you want to know exactly where you are blacklisted, go see www.tornevall.net/cgi-bin/ip.cgi.

reason: spam

Frieza_Prexus
01-30-2013, 08:43 PM

stupid idea is stupid

It sounds like you have nothing productive to add to the discussion. "pls go"

That said, I'd like to hear more suggestions and ideas as to how these types of events might be made viable. I also had an idea for some of the other, smaller, artifacts. For The Qeynos Shield I began developing a small storyline that is doable by a single person. The idea would be to stealthily implement the quest without telling anyone and seeing what happens. It'd involve the corrupt guards and the SK guild versus Antonius Bayle and such, but I never really fleshed it out.

Splorf22
01-30-2013, 08:46 PM
A great idea xasten. Xasten for custom-content-until-velious developer!