PDA

View Full Version : Grouping Guide

Stubert
01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I have been playing a few days now and am loving the experience. I read the wiki constantly and peruse the boards multiple times a day. The one thing I've noticed is most guides and posts cover solo play, but not as much detail seems to be given to grouping. I'm wondering if some people might share their experiences on where people seem to congregate at certain levels and seem to be open to grouping, and what level ranges are optimal there. I know some of this information is on the wiki in various guides but they all appear to be different and are extremely vague.

Thank you very much for your time,

Stubert Stompers

Snagglepuss
01-30-2013, 01:08 PM
The community has created its own "hot zones" out of various speculated reasons (zem, location to banking, outdoor, etc...). It doesn't mean these zones are the best loot or exp, but here is what I have noticed is a good progression for meeting players.

Anyone else, please chime in, but these are where I usually see the most players.

1-8 - Wherever your newb zone or possibly EC groups at orcs or duoing up.

8-16 or 18 Crushbone or Oasis

18 to mid twenties - Unrest

Mid twenties to mid thirties - Mistmoore and High Keep

Mid thirties to high forties seems to be a bit of a vacuum, but I'd recommend City of Mist for meeting pick up groups (might have to find a nice Druid / Wizard friend and do some /who all for find where other action is at these levels)

Early 50s - Karnors

55-60 Seb, Chardok, HS. A lot of people still squeezing exp out of KC at those levels too though.

Estu
01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
The community has created its own "hot zones" out of various speculated reasons (zem, location to banking, outdoor, etc...). It doesn't mean these zones are the best loot or exp, but here is what I have noticed is a good progression for meeting players.

Anyone else, please chime in, but these are where I usually see the most players.

1-8 - Wherever your newb zone or possibly EC groups at orcs or duoing up.

8-16 or 18 Crushbone or Oasis

18 to mid twenties - Unrest

Mid twenties to mid thirties - Mistmoore and High Keep

Mid thirties to high forties seems to be a bit of a vacuum, but I'd recommend City of Mist for meeting pick up groups (might have to find a nice Druid / Wizard friend and do some /who all for find where other action is at these levels)

Early 50s - Karnors

55-60 Seb, Chardok, HS. A lot of people still squeezing exp out of KC at those levels too though.

This is a good guide right here. Some additional comments:

1) The absolute fastest way to level 1-10 is to go to EC, get buffs from druids/shamans/magicians in the tunnel (most important buffs are SoW, damage shield, and regen), and wreck stuff nearby. If your character starts somewhere far from EC, you can do a /who all druid 40 60 or /who all wizard 40 60 and get a port - people are often happy to port newbies for free if you ask nicely and explain that you just started and can't pay them. Make sure you also get a bind so you aren't dying in EC and popping back up in Toxxulia or whatever. Of course, being essentially powerleveled from 1 to 10 isn't necessarily the best way to stop and smell the roses of classic EQ, so Crushbone is a great alternative option once you hit level 5 or so.

2) Oasis is popular (as is LOIO), but I've never understood why. If you're going to be grouping, you should pretty much always try to do it in dungeons, since dungeons have higher ZEMs (Zone Experience Modifiers), meaning you get more EXP per kill. You also get better loot. Win/win. The reason to hunt outdoors is if you're soloing and can't handle a dungeon by yourself.

3) I think Solusek B and Lower Guk are both pretty popular for thirties and forties. City of Mist is also great in the forties and early fifties.