PDA

View Full Version : What is end game like for normal people?

Tenlaar
02-03-2013, 06:52 PM
So I'm a long time EQ player, started in classic blah yadda blah, and I'd like to come give this server a shot. I actually wanted to come back and start up days ago. Unfortunately, I made one mistake before I started playing: I read the forums.

All that I see from anybody about anything to do with killing a big target is two or three guilds being complete and utter jackasses. Seeing as I am no longer an angry teenager, I have no interest in participating in (or even exposing myself to) the asinine and, frankly, pathetic activities (and attitudes) I have seen displayed here. Is there anything on this server between killing normal group mobs and joining in with these...people?

Please, somebody convince me that I will be able to do more than make an alt when I get to higher levels if I don't want to contribute to the further degradation of common decency.

Dweed
02-03-2013, 06:57 PM
It's just bored people trolling and getting a rouse out of each other. A minority that don't even mean it themselves. Most of the game has people from all those guilds leveling and questing together consistently.

zanderklocke
02-03-2013, 07:01 PM
You can always join casual guilds too. A lot of the more casual guilds are clearing Planes (sans big bosses unless they are randomly popping), Chardok Royals, the Hole, occasional Ragefires, and non-contested Epic fights to gear out characters. I mean you can guess that FE and TMO are the hardcore guilds just from looking at the forums, but there are many other guilds you can look into under the guild section of the website.

Bayleo
02-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Yeah, it's mostly just ribbing. The community on this server by and large is extremely friendly. I had a wizard port me yesterday and when I tried to tip him 15p, he traded me back 20p. Won't find that on a Warcraft private server. ;)

bluejam
02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Clearing the planes over and over until you're bored out of your mind.

India
02-03-2013, 10:17 PM
So I'm a long time EQ player, started in classic blah yadda blah, and I'd like to come give this server a shot. I actually wanted to come back and start up days ago. Unfortunately, I made one mistake before I started playing: I read the forums.

All that I see from anybody about anything to do with killing a big target is two or three guilds being complete and utter jackasses. Seeing as I am no longer an angry teenager, I have no interest in participating in (or even exposing myself to) the asinine and, frankly, pathetic activities (and attitudes) I have seen displayed here. Is there anything on this server between killing normal group mobs and joining in with these...people?

Please, somebody convince me that I will be able to do more than make an alt when I get to higher levels if I don't want to contribute to the further degradation of common decency.

It's really very straightforward. Play the game to have fun, if you're not having fun, don't play!

Tecmos Deception
02-03-2013, 10:23 PM
It's really very straightforward. Play the game to have fun, if you're not having fun, don't play!

This is not helpful. You shouldn't be assuming that the OP isn't clever enough to know that he should go do something else if he isn't having any fun, and instead should be assuming that the OP wants to have fun at level 60 and is just wondering how exactly he is supposed to do that.

OP - like someone else said, there is more to do at 60 than quit or get into poopsocking/tracking/trolling. There are many epic fights to do yourself or help your friends with, 3 planes to clear with loot that often rivals what you'd get off the toughest dragons/gods, and a bunch of smaller-scale stuff like Chardok, the Hole, etc. to go do with friends/guildies. Of course, after 60 levels as one class, you might find yourself interested in the idea of an alt, also!

It's also worth noting that it sounds (to me, anyways) like there are some changes incoming in the quite-near future for the end-game raid scene.

Frieza_Prexus
02-03-2013, 10:26 PM

Most high end raid interactions are relatively civil. When you have a mob that is very late in appearing, tensions can run high. Both on the forums and in game, the active trolls are easily identifiable and can generally be ignored without consequence.

tenkakahn
02-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Level 60 here for casual is trying to get into a seb crypt group. Lol if you can find your casual time to fit in with an average guild you can kill trash in planes. Also you can do most of every epic fight minus raid mobs.

But on a side note if you are a true casual player will take you over a year to just get to 60 so really you shouldn't worry!

JesterJester
02-03-2013, 11:11 PM
I am wondering the same thing OP. I'm really interested in getting my necro epic on this run, but it doesn't look possible with the current poopsocking that is going on.

Le sigh.

Tenlaar
02-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks for (most) of the responses. My main concern was that I do want to try raiding as much as I can, as it's something I didn't have much involvement with during these eras. Reading the forums it is hard to tell if TMO/FE are keeping 4 or 5 good guild targets on lock or 15. I'm not very interested in competing against other players any more, just the game.

Looks like I'm going to jump in and hope I can find a good guild as I level. Now I just need to decide between bard or shaman for my main!

Tenlaar
02-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Level 60 here for casual is trying to get into a seb crypt group. Lol if you can find your casual time to fit in with an average guild you can kill trash in planes. Also you can do most of every epic fight minus raid mobs.

But on a side note if you are a true casual player will take you over a year to just get to 60 so really you shouldn't worry!

I never said I was casual. I just said I'm not interested in d-bags having any part of my fun time.

Splorf22
02-03-2013, 11:50 PM
So to answer your question: if you want to kill stuff like CT, Inny, Trakanon, VS . . . TMO and FE are your main options right now. BDA gets a few targets every now and again though.

Full Circle has done some crazy socking but I think that will end soon now that their high-level core left for FE.

Divinity gets a target every now and again.

Knightt has said he wants Flawless Victory to try and take out some raid targets; I don't know what they are planning to do.

The A-Team is strongly anti-sock.

Things may change massively if Rogean implements the simultaneous repops, but that thread is months old and after Slave's anti-variance explosion all of the threads were deleted.

Cippofra
02-03-2013, 11:51 PM
I will never be level 60 here. It is highly unlikely I will ever see one raid. It is highly unlikely I'll even see level 50. I still enjoy playing though.

As far as end game, no, you won't be gearing out your toon with every best in slot item the game has to offer. But theres still plenty you can see at 60. And velious is coming, eventually. If you played it in live you know it adds a massive amount of content for higher levels.

ArumTP
02-04-2013, 12:52 AM
If you aren't in FE, TMO, or maybe BDA it is unlikely you will see much of anything beyond planar loot/mobs of inconsequential status.

Tenlaar
02-04-2013, 01:31 AM
That's...disappointing. I really do want to raid that stuff. Unfortunately it will be a cold day in hell before I take part in any mandatory attendance or socking. Which would happen years before I would give somebody in game my phone number so they can wake me up in the middle of the night for a raid.

I'm not worried about having the best gear possible. Hell, I made an iksar shaman. I just want to see (and kill) the content.

SupaflyIRL
02-04-2013, 01:37 AM
That's...disappointing. I really do want to raid that stuff. Unfortunately it will be a cold day in hell before I take part in any mandatory attendance or socking. Which would happen years before I would give somebody in game my phone number so they can wake me up in the middle of the night for a raid.

I'm not worried about having the best gear possible. Hell, I made an iksar shaman. I just want to see (and kill) the content.

if more people had self respect like this, the server would be a lot better off

JesterJester
02-04-2013, 01:39 AM

Totally my sentiment. Raiding like that was for my younger years. If I can't get a raid on a random saturday afternoon, well screw that. Just makes me sad that I'll never get my epic without being extreme.

ymw
02-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Join a guild and start working towards the content. Once Velious opens, you should be able to see the Kunark content much easier.

Sirken
02-04-2013, 01:45 AM
forums represent a minority of the player base. a very loud minority, but a minority none the less.

in your play i can almost guarantee that you will find more players like yourself, than you will find on the forums.

JesterJester
02-04-2013, 01:50 AM
forums represent a minority of the player base. a very loud minority, but a minority none the less.

in your play i can almost guarantee that you will find more players like yourself, than you will find on the forums.

That doesn't change the poopsockers from preventing everyone else from ever getting epics. I bet they would let things rot before yielding to the greater good.

ArumTP
02-04-2013, 01:52 AM
When veilous comes out unlikely anything will change.
Those current contested targets will still be needed for epics at a minimum. When the epic loot gets moved off those guys onto new mobs, in the case of the gods, they get buffed and a whole new set of loot to fight over. Trak will be killed for his teeth still, VP loot still remains good. Djorn still killed for sky loot, Sky loot still good.

There simply wont be a fight out for trak breastplates, VS legs, and normal planar loot.

Tippett
02-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Why do people who are level 10 keep asking about endgame?

The grind to 60 is incredibly long and you will have every question answered well before you will be of level to even participate.

At level 10 worry about getting new spells and dual wield and worry about the other shit when it comes up.

JesterJester
02-04-2013, 02:14 AM

The grind to 60 is incredibly long and you will have every question answered well before you will be of level to even participate.

At level 10 worry about getting new spells and dual wield and worry about the other shit when it comes up.

Because I'd like to do some things I didn't when I played live. Leveling to 60 is something I've already done.

Lexical
02-04-2013, 02:16 AM
The absolute worst thing you can do on these forums is take RnF seriously. RMT and ridiculing the staff excluded of course.

Tippett
02-04-2013, 02:25 AM
Because I'd like to do some things I didn't when I played live. Leveling to 60 is something I've already done.

I still don't get it.

You only want to level to 60 if you can get uncontested epic/god loot at the end of it?

Yes, you will have to compete for loot like on any eq server ever in existence

Hope that cleared things up.

Tenlaar
02-04-2013, 02:39 AM

Forums may represent a minority of players, but would you tell me that it doesn't accurately represents the raiding scene? That I could join a guild other than the top two and be able to participate?

I know the game. I know how long it takes. Which is why the fact that in my forum readings I haven't seen a single post about any other guilds killing any raid targets makes me leery of putting in that time just to be excluded from one of the big reasons that I would like to play here because I don't agree with the top two guilds' play style.

You only want to level to 60 if you can get uncontested epic/god loot at the end of it?

I only want to levl to 60 if I will be able to do things that I enjoy when I am there. One of those things is less-than-hardcore raiding.

Except the ones that had raid rotations.

Tenlaar
02-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Also, up to over 50 forages to get mud crabs for my shaman cudgel. Very classic.

And I fell off of Kelethin with my bard and didn't die. NOT CLASSIC!!!1!

SupaflyIRL
02-04-2013, 02:49 AM
I only want to levl to 60 if I will be able to do things that I enjoy when I am there. One of those things is less-than-hardcore raiding.

The way things stand, this isn't going to happen so you'd be wasting your time playing. If you play certain classes you won't even have a shot at getting your epic unless you feel like farming 500-750k. This is roughly 83 FBSSes, 30 Jaundiced Bone Bracers, or 11 Fungi Tunics.

Odds are, from your description, you'll be doing no more than trash in PoFear/Hate and maybe the first couple islands in Sky.

Byrjun
02-04-2013, 03:02 AM
I don't see the problem with doing planar/sky raids while working on your epic and possibly purchasing MQs along the way. Include actually leveling to 60 and that's a hell of a lot of content to possibly get through. You're months from achieving all of these things, so why not just play the game and reevaluate your priorities after you've gotten level 60, planar armor, and some progress into your epic?

SupaflyIRL
02-04-2013, 03:08 AM
I don't see the problem with doing planar/sky raids while working on your epic and possibly purchasing MQs along the way. Include actually leveling to 60 and that's a hell of a lot of content to possibly get through. You're months from achieving all of these things, so why not just play the game and reevaluate your priorities after you've gotten level 60, planar armor, and some progress into your epic?

Mostly because "progress" on epics doesn't really mean shit for most classes (bard/sk/necro/ranger/druid/warrior/wizard, pretty much any class that needs something from CT/Inny/Trak/VS) as your bottleneck will be a mob you will never kill, or an absurd amount of plat (300-750k) for the bottleneck pieces.

It'd be nice to be honest with the guy and tell him up front instead of telling him to level to 60 so he can be disappointed after wasting his time.

JesterJester
02-04-2013, 03:21 AM
I still don't get it.

Hope that cleared things up.

Except this server is locked in time where one or two guilds can dominate all raid targets - thats the difference. Open up Velious, Luclin, and PoP and the problem is gone with this server population. Unfortunately, I doubt luclin and PoP will ever seriously be considered.

Tippett
02-04-2013, 04:31 AM
It'd be nice to be honest with the guy and tell him up front instead of telling him to level to 60 so he can be disappointed after wasting his time.

Yeah I mean what's the point of EQ if you can't get your epic during Kunark era, back on live during Kunark we all had epics.

When I think Classic EQ I always think of everyone having an epic, otherwise what's the point?

All trolling aside if you are here exclusively to get an epic Jester then you probably would have much more fun on the EZ server, there is no competition there and you can get epics 1.0/1.5/2.0 with no bottlenecks.

Tippett
02-04-2013, 04:33 AM
Except this server is locked in time where one or two guilds can dominate all raid targets - thats the difference. Open up Velious, Luclin, and PoP and the problem is gone with this server population. Unfortunately, I doubt luclin and PoP will ever seriously be considered.

Yeah man they are just being dicks not opening up velious and other expansions.

I mean just hit the switch Nilbog, Jester has been here a week man he's sick of waiting for that PoP content hes already level 12.

Tenlaar
02-04-2013, 04:40 AM
I would appreciate if you would leave your poor and inflammatory attitude out of what was a completely civil discussion.

Tippett
02-04-2013, 04:45 AM
I apologize for what you perceive as poor attitude but you are getting exaggerations from people and also I find their own butthurtness about not having an epic annoying.

There is no reason you would be "bottlenecked" on your epic considering it's constantly farmed and you can either farm plat and buy the MQ pieces you need for one, join a raid guild which competes to kill the mobs who drop pieces, or a combination of both.

Epics are not rare at all on this server and are easily within the grasp of any player who actually puts effort into obtaining one.

Tenlaar
02-04-2013, 05:01 AM
You honestly considering joining a raid guild in order to get an epic drop as a viable solution? Let's go with my bard's epic some day.

"Hey, I have no real interest in your raid schedule and might make a couple raids a week if I feel like it. There is no way you are going to call me in to kill something when I'm not already playing. I also won't pretend that I like the way you guys conduct yourself. Oh, yeah, and I really just want to get this epic drop and spend as little time with you as possible."

Is TMO going to let me in their guild? Would you? Should I lie until I get what I want and then leave?

That leaves spending months banking plat until I can afford to buy it from the very people who are keeping me from attempting to gain the drop with other guilds who enjoy a play style more similar to my own.

Tippett
02-04-2013, 05:04 AM
So let me get this right, you think EQ is worthless without getting ultra high end raid drops but also refuse to contribute in anyway to a guild that kills ultra high end raid mobs?

EZ server def sounds like a better fit for your demands, you can get epics without having to deal with other "people" and contribute to "guilds you dont like".

Tenlaar
02-04-2013, 05:11 AM
You don't seem to understand. I do want to contribute to a guild that kills high end raid mobs. I do not want to contribute to the one guild who seem to have positioned themselves in such a way as to actively cut off the vast majority of the server from doing the things that they are able to do or the one guild who is trying to give them competition by employing the same tactics.

Do you think "TMO or GTFO" for anybody who wants to eventually get an epic (yes, eventually - despite what you seem to think, I do not expect to have an epic in a month) or try some tougher raid mobs is a healthy way for the server to be, and the way it should be? That is certainly how you come across here.

Tippett
02-04-2013, 05:13 AM
It's not that way at all though. Multiple guilds have the ability to epic members, even casual ones as long as you play for awhile.

This is what I was referring to about worrying about level 12 before you ask questions about the high end raid scene, you think you understand how it works but obviously have no idea.

Gnomebert
02-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Cant... tell if... troll thread...?

Lexical
02-04-2013, 05:26 AM
You don't seem to understand. I do want to contribute to a guild that kills high end raid mobs. I do not want to contribute to the one guild who seem to have positioned themselves in such a way as to actively cut off the vast majority of the server from doing the things that they are able to do or the one guild who is trying to give them competition by employing the same tactics.

Do you think "TMO or GTFO" for anybody who wants to eventually get an epic (yes, eventually - despite what you seem to think, I do not expect to have an epic in a month) or try some tougher raid mobs is a healthy way for the server to be, and the way it should be? That is certainly how you come across here.

Could it be?....................

http://www.ourthursday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/wayne-thumb.jpg

Peekae
02-04-2013, 06:36 AM
I feel like socking is thrown around a lot more than it should. The only time its really seen is late window pops.

Numbers / Mobilization is what gets most raid targets. That being said the bat phone thing is probably semi necessary if you want to contest bigger raid mobs.

Most kills I would assume do however consist of camping your main near the spawn and logging in quick when the spawn occurs.

gotrocks
02-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Could it be?....................

http://www.ourthursday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/wayne-thumb.jpg

LOL

almost spit out my water at this.

webrunner5
02-04-2013, 07:29 AM
So let me get this right, you think EQ is worthless without getting ultra high end raid drops but also refuse to contribute in anyway to a guild that kills ultra high end raid mobs?

EZ server def sounds like a better fit for your demands, you can get epics without having to deal with other "people" and contribute to "guilds you dont like".

What he said. The OP has stated he is not into Batphoning or Poopsocking yet wants to get uber gear and hard to get epic. Hmm, just doesn't work like that on here. I am no TMO fan but they work they butts off to get what they get and have. Imagine being the Raid Leader for TMO. You think he or she puts in like 5 hours a week. You want good stuff, just like RL you have to work your ass off and be a Pit Bull at times.

Dweed
02-04-2013, 08:53 AM
"Hey, I have no real interest in your raid schedule and might make a couple raids a week if I feel like it. There is no way you are going to call me in to kill something when I'm not already playing. I also won't pretend that I like the way you guys conduct yourself. Oh, yeah, and I really just want to get this epic drop and spend as little time with you as possible."

You don't quite know about modern bat phones it seems. You subscribe to your guilds twitter, they post to call targets if anything happens. Via twitter you can have those posts txted to you. You can also designate hours of the day that twitter won't relay messages (sleeping). No one in guild will have your number, no one can call you. No mandatory raids, people jump on if they can when the txt goes out.

A few raids a week might cut it on attendance.

Aside from your blatant "spend as little time with you as possible." That's just being silly.

JesterJester
02-04-2013, 10:29 AM
What he said. The OP has stated he is not into Batphoning or Poopsocking yet wants to get uber gear and hard to get epic. Hmm, just doesn't work like that on here. I am no TMO fan but they work they butts off to get what they get and have. Imagine being the Raid Leader for TMO. You think he or she puts in like 5 hours a week. You want good stuff, just like RL you have to work your ass off and be a Pit Bull at times.

If "work your ass off" means having no life to be crowned King Nothing, then I say no thanks. If I can never get my epic because of these "classic" mechanics, then so be it. However, it is my belief that the challenge should come from the actual encounter, not from having to choose between IRL and game.

Ultimately, what is this really about? Are we keeping the classic environment merely for the sake of historical accuracy, or rather that we want to relive the fun of the old times? Maybe you can say that we have both, but I disagree - at least on this point.

rahmani
02-04-2013, 10:34 AM
I'd say it depends on your personality and your compatibility to your toon's class. I leveled up a warrior to 56 and I absolutely hated being needed for every little thing my guild did. I finally just gave the toon to my guild leader. I'm playing my wizard now.

shorttin
02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
no socks = eqmac. also, have more content!

India
02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
This is not helpful. You shouldn't be assuming that the OP isn't clever enough to know that he should go do something else if he isn't having any fun, and instead should be assuming that the OP wants to have fun at level 60 and is just wondering how exactly he is supposed to do that.

Given the title and self righteousness of his post I couldn't take him seriously.

He's denied it, but he sounds angry. Or perhaps this is just a not so cleverly disguised troll. Regardless...

OP, if you've read the forums like you claimed, you would know that it's not all gloom and doom. There are some wonderfully fun & nice people that play this game. You would have found that there are numerous guilds that do things that don't require you to poopsock. You'd also know that Velious is on the way, and once released Kunark raid targets will likely be available to others.

You stated that you "made a mistake" by reading the forums first. So you realize somewhere inside yourself that the forums are not representative of the actual community, nor even the people of those guilds you already claim to dislike without even knowing the members within.

In knowing all this I can't help but wonder what the actual purpose of this thread was for. To trash talk guilds? The raiding scene as it stands? Attention?

Splorf22
02-04-2013, 12:04 PM

This, in a nutshell, is the issue with our server. Everyone played on live and wants to do '1 more', and there simply aren't enough high-end spawns.

People who were casual just wandered around want to be in a low level raid guild and experience a few more zones.
People who were in a casual guild want to be in the uber guild and BiS and kill all the bosses.
People like Bhubbles who were in a top tier raid guild just kinda look on from the forums in dismay.

Also, Sirken is totally right in that most of the people you will meet in game are very nice. Most of TMO is actually composed of very nice people (Necrious, Cilienya, Elethia, Xasten, Droxx, my hero Crazyeyes, Hookrs, I even like Jeremy and Fountree and Zeelot although they like to troll, I mean really most of them) but they *really* want their pixels.

Nordenwatch
02-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Raiding in this game is overrated. Sell hammers all day.

JesterJester
02-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Raiding in this game is overrated. Sell hammers all day.

If I'm going to sell stuff, it may as well be TF2 items on steam. ;)

Itap
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Anyone else just laugh at thread title

Lyra
02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Anyone else just laugh at thread title

Yes

Like ANYONE here is normal?

Poor attempt at trolling. Didn't get me, and I am easy.

Frieza_Prexus
02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
If "work your ass off" means having no life to be crowned King Nothing, then I say no thanks.

The higher end guilds do not really place any demands upon the membership at large. TMO specifically, heavily incentivizes hardcore devotion, but this is never a requirement. Generally, to get in you must bring something to the table. If you can play or track in the off hours, you're generally admissible. If you play standard hours, you need to play a needed class or be able to respond at the standard hours of the day with a decent attendance.

It does take effort to get in, but you will never be required to sacrifice your personal life for the guild. Such sacrifices are generally recognized in the way of DKP and loot, but if you are patient such items will make their way to you as well.

And regarding the Batphone, most guilds use Gmail to send out texts/emails. Some members, like myself, do not mind having the phone # tied to our accounts, whereas others choose to receive emails when a batphone is sent out. In any case, you will never NEVER be scolded for not responding. You make it or you don't, this is a game and despite hardcore tendencies, the leadership hasn't forgotten that.

Also, even if you cannot play a lot there are other ways to contribute and be recognized. Take myself as an example, I generally disappear for several weeks at a time to take care of real life, but I maintain a fully stocked set of resist gear mules for TMO. I provide resist gear to all members and apps free of charge (buy your own damned diamonds though), and I take the time to represent the guild as an ambassador on the forums. Play time is not the only way to contribute. If you're willing to do paper work and upload DKP/tracking numbers you could easily get into a raid guild despite a low attendance rate. Heck, one time TMO admitted an app on the spot because he offered to assist in maintaining our website and databases.

There's more than a few ways to make it to the end game without getting a divorce and going on food stamps.

webrunner5
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
If "work your ass off" means having no life to be crowned King Nothing, then I say no thanks. If I can never get my epic because of these "classic" mechanics, then so be it. However, it is my belief that the challenge should come from the actual encounter, not from having to choose between IRL and game.

Ultimately, what is this really about? Are we keeping the classic environment merely for the sake of historical accuracy, or rather that we want to relive the fun of the old times? Maybe you can say that we have both, but I disagree - at least on this point.

Then you will have nothing either here or in RL. Life is a bitch, get used to it.

Cippofra
02-04-2013, 02:58 PM
That doesn't change the poopsockers from preventing everyone else from ever getting epics. I bet they would let things rot before yielding to the greater good.

I guarantee they rot all the time. Why would they let you loot pieces for the epic when they sell them for 40-500k?

Tenlaar
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
It's not that way at all though. Multiple guilds have the ability to epic members, even casual ones as long as you play for awhile.

This is what I was referring to about worrying about level 12 before you ask questions about the high end raid scene, you think you understand how it works but obviously have no idea.

It's not all about epics. I've clearly stated that I want to see all the raids I can. I'm sorry if you can't understand somebody putting a little more forethough into their activities to decide if it is worth the time involved. The entire purpose of this thread is to better understand how raiding on the server works and if what I read from people saying TMO gets 90% of raid targets is true.

I feel like socking is thrown around a lot more than it should. The only time its really seen is late window pops.

I would like to know of it is. Again, all I have to go by here is what you guys on the forum say. How often do raid targets end up in these multi-hour sock fest FTE lotteries? Should I just disregard posts like the one about a guild starting 20 hours into a 96 hour spawn? I am looking for information to counter the very negative impression that I get from those posts.

OP, if you've read the forums like you claimed, you would know that it's not all gloom and doom. There are some wonderfully fun & nice people that play this game. You would have found that there are numerous guilds that do things that don't require you to poopsock. You'd also know that Velious is on the way, and once released Kunark raid targets will likely be available to others.

You stated that you "made a mistake" by reading the forums first. So you realize somewhere inside yourself that the forums are not representative of the actual community, nor even the people of those guilds you already claim to dislike without even knowing the members within.

In knowing all this I can't help but wonder what the actual purpose of this thread was for. To trash talk guilds? The raiding scene as it stands? Attention?

Here's something crazy to consider: I want to raid Velious targets too. Saying that I'll be able to raid Kunark targets when there are Velious targets to try as well is the same situation people are denying is happening now. If you really can't figure out what the purpose of the thread is, let me say it again: I am asking you guys to counter the bad, which is all that is available on the forums regarding raiding. If there is NOTHING to be found here that is positive regarding raiding, how am I or any other new person supposed to weigh things properly? As far as claiming to dislike guilds, that mainly goes for TMO. I don't know the people in it (though surely guild leadership must know how the vocal forum members make it look), but you know what I do know? They train anybody who tries to break into VP. That is all that I need to know about them.

There is no troll here. I am not mad, I am not jelly. In this very thread there are a handful of people who have basically said if you're not in TMO, FE, or to a lesser extent BDA, you're limited to clearing the planes, some epic mobs, and some small scale stuff. Who am I supposed to believe? I normally don't mind running an expansion behind for raids but when the server is locked at three expansions that doesn't really work.

What I don't understand is why it seems to make people angry that I saw something that did not look good about the server and asked for people to tell me the other side of it. If you guys are saying that it's not true, what raid targets have other guilds gotten recently? How many other guilds can help their members get a bard or SK epic without buying a MQ?

Frieza_Prexus
02-04-2013, 03:21 PM
I would like to know of it is. Again, all I have to go by here is what you guys on the forum say. How often do raid targets end up in these multi-hour sock fest FTE lotteries? Should I just disregard posts like the one about a guild starting 20 hours into a 96 hour spawn? I am looking for information to counter the very negative impression that I get from those posts.

Honestly, the only mobs you see socked are VS and Trak. The majority of those instances are when the mob is late in window. However, sometimes one guild was bring a group down to the VS pit to xp, and the next thing you know you have a cold war style escalation with both sides sitting on the spawn all because someone tipped their hand slightly. That's where the early window socks come from. And those usually disband in relatively short order once people think rationally and do some math.

falkun
02-04-2013, 03:43 PM
But Juggs/Tola/Prot raids can be successful in their own right. Many guilds/members/players still need those rare high level spells like Torpor, CotH, EoT, and many others.

But for the OP: The raid scene is rewarding because you get pixels, and see dragons die and brag that you were part of it. The 'positives' of the raid scene are self-evident and I don't see why TMO or any other person/entity should have to explain that to you.

I feel you are coming into this question with a negative bias. You need to remove the blinders and see the raid scene for what it is. P99's raid scene has been molded by the server rules that define it, for better or worse. It is the way it is and its much more monolithic than most single entities will be able to alter. Either accept it and enjoy it, or decide not to participate. Whining about it will get you nowhere, especially when you have zero stake in it at this time.

If you'd like to turn your whines into a positive force, see the multitude of posts regarding improving the raid scene and add your thoughts and comments there. Do note that your input will hold more weight if you have vast first-hand experience with P99's raid scene.

Finally, it is a long road to max level, and Everquest was designed to be enjoyed at all levels, even the raid game was not meant to be enjoyed exclusively by max-level players, unlike WoW and other modern MMOs. Enjoy leveling and getting your feet wet with raiding. As they say, "You will never know until you try." No amount of reading about it will prepare you for the highs and lows of the raid scene, so stop trying to distill it down to words.

myriverse
02-04-2013, 04:28 PM
For me, "end game" has nothing to do with level or loot. It's when I decide I don't feel like playing. The end.

Lexical
02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
The mere fact that many of the high end raiders here are even willing to humor the peanut gallery who is only observing the scene from afar and bringing a very negative and aggressive attitude speaks volumes on how open and helpful this community really is.

skipdog
02-04-2013, 06:15 PM

All of this has been repeated to you in this thread but you refuse to listen. I will try once more:

1) You do not have to 'have no life' to be in a raiding guild that gets kills. Period. You seem to have this belief that all members of all top guilds are online 24/7. It's ridiculous, laughable and untrue.

2) You still seem to believe that only members in the top 1-2 guilds can get epics. Again, not true.

3) You seem to believe that one should be able to get high end loot and epics with little effort. I do not know where you got this idea. It has never been true. There are other emulated servers that will let you achieve these exact goals.

4) You seem to have formed your opinions of top guilds based purely on these forums. This is a ridiculous thing to do. You are honestly going to take the words of a couple very loud forum members and let that shape your opinion of the top guilds? Just think about that for a second and realize how foolish it is. Almost all of the anger that people have for TMO boils down to the simple fact that they kill the most targets and others have this ludicrous notion that they should 'play nice' and simply not kill targets or let other guilds get kills when the server rules clearly allow them to prevent it.

5) Players compete for loot. You simply have to accept this. You seem to not want competition, but instead for top guilds to simply give up kills so players like you can take their loot. Again, there are other emulated servers that will let you get loot without the competition.

6) If you aren't willing to attempt to get into a top guild, then don't expect to get the high end loot. You should also maybe try to shake the concept that 'all top guilds are evil and are filled with no-lifers who poopsock 24/7'. It's ludicrous and filled with very little truth.

Zenlina
02-04-2013, 06:38 PM
End raid on this world is alot different to how live is. Here you raid at your convenience, obviously if you want to get loot/items you need to raid a little more. The way the system works with both top alliances is, a hand full of player tracking for bosses (Those trackers would be higher on the list to receive loot for those bosses they are tracking) and the rest of the guild kind of carries on with life or other things in game.

Now once the boss pops the trackers would send out a signal to all members of the guild, at this point its up to the players to either accept to go or not.

This is the reason why any end game guild have over 150+ members. You will rarely see more then 50-60 raiders for any boss, more around the 40s nowdays.

As for all the bickering going on the forum, its generally the leaders/officers showing how big there pee pee is (And its all the same crap too, why cant you bastard come up with some new material, you boring me), so you can ignore that because honestly it doesnt effect the other 99.9% of the guilds.

In the end, when picking which guild to join, its the policy that you should have a look at, then the members/leaders. In the end its how well end game guilds set up there organization. And this is the main reason why those two top guilds get most the high end bosses.

Tiggles
02-04-2013, 07:25 PM
End raid on this world is alot different to how live is. Here you raid at your convenience, obviously if you want to get loot/items you need to raid a little more. The way the system works with both top alliances is, a hand full of player tracking for bosses (Those trackers would be higher on the list to receive loot for those bosses they are tracking) and the rest of the guild kind of carries on with life or other things in game.

Now once the boss pops the trackers would send out a signal to all members of the guild, at this point its up to the players to either accept to go or not.

This is the reason why any end game guild have over 150+ members. You will rarely see more then 50-60 raiders for any boss, more around the 40s nowdays.

As for all the bickering going on the forum, its generally the leaders/officers showing how big there pee pee is (And its all the same crap too, why cant you bastard come up with some new material, you boring me), so you can ignore that because honestly it doesnt effect the other 99.9% of the guilds.

In the end, when picking which guild to join, its the policy that you should have a look at, then the members/leaders. In the end its how well end game guilds set up there organization. And this is the main reason why those two top guilds get most the high end bosses.

I'll show you my peepee Zenlina

anyways OP,

you keep asking the same questions and you keep asking if that's right or fair or how it was etc.

It's not..

TMO gets 90% of the mobs FE gets the other 10% each guild requires you to bat phone and poop sock and track at odd hours if needed.

It's how it is and it won't change.

If you don't join a raiding guild you will not see raid content or get certain epics until way pat velious it's unfair and shitty but it's the truth.

So you have three options

1, Accept that and not raid.
2, Quit
3, Raid

Autotune
02-04-2013, 07:28 PM
I have made a few raids the last few weeks without responding to a batphone and without playing more than 12 hours (over the last 2 months).

Think i'm up to like 3 or 4 targets /flex.

Then again, I am better than everyone else.

Tenlaar
02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
OP never asked if it was fair or how it was. OP only wanted to know how accurately the forum represented the actual raid scene. And OP still has one group of people saying it's TMO/FE or GTFO for raids, one group of people saying that's not true, and a few people acting like I'm a casual noob who doesn't deserve loot for even wanting to know.

Autotune
02-04-2013, 07:44 PM
OP never asked if it was fair or how it was. OP only wanted to know how accurately the forum represented the actual raid scene. And OP still has one group of people saying it's TMO/FE or GTFO for raids, one group of people saying that's not true, and a few people acting like I'm a casual noob who doesn't deserve loot for even wanting to know.

TMO or FE are the only guilds that are currently killing targets regularly.

Other guilds can/could, but they need more people that are p99 raid capable.

People like OP will have to join a guild like TMO or FE to ride their coats to do what you want to do. So you really can't join any other guild and get what you want, because you lack the will to fight on p99.

The forums are never a good judge of how anything is in game.

Project1999 raiding isn't casual, you are casual and so you don't fit for raiding on p99.

Safon
02-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Want your epic/high end raiding? Join TMO for frequent deliverance of said prizes, or FE for infrequent deliverance. Don't want to put in the time with either guild? Deal with not having your epic/high end raiding. It's really more or less that simple

India
02-04-2013, 09:24 PM

OP is talking in third person! :D

I think TMO and FE have rules about that :)

Tippett
02-05-2013, 02:20 AM
People not in those 2 guilds have epics and not all of them had to buy MQs.

It will take a lot longer and some luck, but you don't HAVE to join those guilds.

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 02:23 AM
unless you are a bard

Tiggles
02-05-2013, 02:23 AM
People not in those 2 guilds have epics and not all of them had to buy MQs.

It will take a lot longer and some luck, but you don't HAVE to join those guilds.

Unless he wants to roll a class with an epic requiring a currently contested raid mob. How many full circle or divinity bards have epics?

It's possible yes but very improbable unless you farm some mad plat.

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 02:24 AM
no body farming 300k plat unless buying pizzas is farming.

Tippett
02-05-2013, 02:30 AM
Unless he wants to roll a class with an epic requiring a currently contested raid mob. How many full circle or divinity bards have epics?

It's possible yes but very improbable unless you farm some mad plat.

I didn't say you could be in ANY guild, just said you don't have to be in just those 2 (FE, TMO).

Worst comes to worst the dude could just pull a Fischemmel by joining TMO or FE, track his ass off get an epic really fast then say fuck everybody and detag.

Then he could have an epic and not have to be guilded with people he thinks he hates yet doesn't know because hes level 10 or something.

ArumTP
02-05-2013, 06:16 AM
no body farming 300k plat unless buying pizzas is farming.

Asgard bard did that. Farmed rogue epics so she could buy her bard epic.

Kagatob
02-05-2013, 06:22 AM

That's well beyond the point where it's obvious it's not a single problem that would be easily fixed. Something big needs to be done to fix the situation.

I'm all for simulated patches that reset all of the spawns serverwide (sole exception being VP).

Dualform
02-05-2013, 07:06 AM
I really want my druid epic, but getting the stone from Venril Sathir might aswell not happen unless I pay to loot it.

But I suppose i'd prefer it be this way, compared to other games where everyone get's their own dungeon because everyone is special - just wish there was some way that guilds could trade off every 3 spawns or somfin *shrug*

kotton05
02-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Mirelda is amazing

As to the OP I think this isn't a question easily answered, its something youll find over time as you meet people in game. End game is what you make of it.. be it late night batphones, tracking for hours, camping lguk, sniping drusella in HS... Or endless alts helping new players along. Just know the end game isn't just one thing that can be set in stone unless you consider it VP which is end game raids.